Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mings at Centre back 22:41 - Oct 14 with 7049 viewsVic

Old Git was right after all then! He always maintained that would be his best position and moaned that Mick wouldn’t play him there.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Mings at Centre back on 22:44 - Oct 14 with 4558 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I think most observers always saw that Mings would end up as a CB.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Mings at Centre back on 22:49 - Oct 14 with 4524 viewssparks

Mings at Centre back on 22:44 - Oct 14 by Marshalls_Mullet

No. One or two posters who suggested it were roundly ridiculed and abused for it.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Mings at Centre back on 22:50 - Oct 14 with 4519 viewsjudespiveyg

Really? He was arguably our best player other than Murphy in the play off season, playing at left back. His best attribute was his attacking ability which was unlike anything I've ever seen from an Ipswich full back, which is why I'm surprised he's such a quality centre half.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Mings at Centre back on 22:50 - Oct 14 with 4512 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Mings at Centre back on 22:49 - Oct 14 by sparks

No. One or two posters who suggested it were roundly ridiculed and abused for it.

Yes, I was probably one of those few.

As usual.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Mings at Centre back on 22:51 - Oct 14 with 4506 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Mings at Centre back on 22:50 - Oct 14 by judespiveyg

Really? He was arguably our best player other than Murphy in the play off season, playing at left back. His best attribute was his attacking ability which was unlike anything I've ever seen from an Ipswich full back, which is why I'm surprised he's such a quality centre half.

Tall, good on the ball. Many a third party, including Eddie Howe saw him as a long term CB

Mings at Centre back on 22:53 - Oct 14 with 4502 viewsGuthrum

It's a different position at Prem/International level, requiring a mobility and ball control more suitable to full-back in the Championship (where CBs rarely, if ever, do that). He was too useful to play at CB for us.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Mings at Centre back on 22:54 - Oct 14 with 4487 viewsjudespiveyg

Mings at Centre back on 22:51 - Oct 14 by Marshalls_Mullet

Tall, good on the ball. Many a third party, including Eddie Howe saw him as a long term CB

Very true, it's just that he easily could have been a Premiership full back as well, guess that shows what a great player he is.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Mings at Centre back on 22:55 - Oct 14 with 4478 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Mings at Centre back on 22:53 - Oct 14 by Guthrum

It's a different position at Prem/International level, requiring a mobility and ball control more suitable to full-back in the Championship (where CBs rarely, if ever, do that). He was too useful to play at CB for us.

Seemed to do well at CB for Villa in the champ.

Login to get fewer ads

Mings at Centre back on 23:01 - Oct 14 with 4449 viewsGuthrum

Mings at Centre back on 22:55 - Oct 14 by Marshalls_Mullet

Seemed to do well at CB for Villa in the champ.

Not saying he couldn't do it, more that a player of Mings' ability and style is wasted at CB in most Champ sides, being faster and more agile than the average FB (certainly than ours).

Villa last season were not quite a bog standard Champ squad.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Mings at Centre back on 23:01 - Oct 14 with 4444 viewsLankHenners

That’s mainly because one poster who used to bang on about Mings as CB did it amongst banging on about nonsense like playing Ambrose at full back.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Mings at Centre back on 23:05 - Oct 14 with 4419 viewsBlueBadger

Mings at Centre back on 23:01 - Oct 14 by LankHenners

That’s mainly because one poster who used to bang on about Mings as CB did it amongst banging on about nonsense like playing Ambrose at full back.

...and buying houses in Burnley.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Mings at Centre back on 23:13 - Oct 14 with 4383 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Mings at Centre back on 23:01 - Oct 14 by Guthrum

Not saying he couldn't do it, more that a player of Mings' ability and style is wasted at CB in most Champ sides, being faster and more agile than the average FB (certainly than ours).

Villa last season were not quite a bog standard Champ squad.

Prob right that he was more useful to us as LB

Mings at Centre back on 23:30 - Oct 14 with 4334 viewsbournemouthblue

I am one but mainly because I thought he had great potential as a left back

Obviously I think a few things have happened which have accelerated that process, firstly a bad injury and secondly, Daniels preventing him from getting much of a look in. He still had to move on to really flourish.

He always has the physical attributes to play any position to be quite frank, he's tall, fast and agile
[Post edited 14 Oct 2019 23:32]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Mings at Centre back on 01:25 - Oct 15 with 4201 viewswkj

Old Git was not always crazy with his ideas, but god was he crazy on how he delivered them.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Mings at Centre back on 01:28 - Oct 15 with 4199 viewswkj

Mings at Centre back on 23:05 - Oct 14 by BlueBadger

...and buying houses in Burnley.

I still like the day he concluded it was benefit cheats in McDonalds drive through on a BH Monday when there were big queues because of some offer or another.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Mings at Centre back on 06:55 - Oct 15 with 4021 viewsBloomBlue

Remember when some fans not only gave Old Git abuse for suggesting it but also claimed Mings was the worst LB in the history of the club. They also claimed it demonstrated how far this club had declined buying basically non league standard players and our scouting network was broken; we only buy players who play a few good minutes against us.
Mings at Centre back on 06:57 - Oct 15 with 4013 viewsPinewoodblue

For the record Benters also had the vision to see Tyrone as a centre back.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Mings at Centre back on 07:29 - Oct 15 with 3941 viewsPlums

Not me, I always thought he’d be a useful marauding CM. Whatever our opinions, the lad done good!

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Mings at Centre back on 07:48 - Oct 15 with 3894 viewsHerbivore

I seem to remember the issue at the time was more the claim that Mings should play centre back 'because he's tall' rather than because of superb insight into his all round footballing talents. At the time Mings was playing very well for us at left back and his marauding runs forward were a much more positive feature of his game than his defending, which was a bit naive at times as he was still somewhat raw and learning his trade. Many didn't think that was the time to be converting him to a centre back as (a) he didn't look ready for that defensively and (b) he was a major asset for us at left back. That opinion was and is still valid and isn't undermined by him growing into a very capable centre back some 4 years down the line.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Mings at Centre back on 07:57 - Oct 15 with 3880 viewsDanTheMan

Mings at Centre back on 22:53 - Oct 14 by Guthrum

This was what I criticised. He wasn't as good defensively as he seems to be now and at centre back for us he would have been utterly wasted as he has great attacking attributes.

In sides where you have the freedom to play out from the back then it's an entirely different discussion. Still stand by what I said.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Mings at Centre back on 08:09 - Oct 15 with 3843 viewsitfcjoe

He's been unbelievable since signing for Villa - funnily enoug though, without that loan move he was going absolutely nowhere at Bournemouth, it certainly worked out for all parties!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Mings at Centre back on 08:13 - Oct 15 with 3820 viewsStuartBrett8

Mings at Centre back on 08:09 - Oct 15 by itfcjoe

He's been unbelievable since signing for Villa - funnily enoug though, without that loan move he was going absolutely nowhere at Bournemouth, it certainly worked out for all parties!

I think one of the big boy's will go in for him after last night.... Spurs maybe?

Stop the world, I want to get off
Poll: What should we do with Frank Nouble?

Mings at Centre back on 08:20 - Oct 15 with 3800 viewsHerbivore

Mings at Centre back on 08:09 - Oct 15 by itfcjoe

Been a great move for him. Villa's form after he signed for them was ridiculous and he's done very well there. He'll still have a mistake in him as he's still learning his trade as a CB, he's not played 50 games in that role yet. Last night though showed he had the composure and temperament to play at a very high level.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Mings at Centre back on 08:22 - Oct 15 with 3795 viewsitfcjoe

Mings at Centre back on 08:13 - Oct 15 by StuartBrett8

I think one of the big boy's will go in for him after last night.... Spurs maybe?

He'd be £100m now if he were to leave - needs to play like he has for at least 18 months to be worth buying for a big team

Mings at Centre back on 08:24 - Oct 15 with 3793 viewsitfcjoe

Mings at Centre back on 08:20 - Oct 15 by Herbivore

Been a great move for him. Villa's form after he signed for them was ridiculous and he's done very well there. He'll still have a mistake in him as he's still learning his trade as a CB, he's not played 50 games in that role yet. Last night though showed he had the composure and temperament to play at a very high level.

His career has definitely gone the long way round, had he not gone to Villa in January he'd have likely been dropping into the Championship permanently in the summer - little decisions and chunks of luck define careers

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024