Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Daylight savings time 22:07 - Oct 28 with 3687 viewsMoriarty

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/newsireland/island-of-ireland-to-have-two-differe

Yay or Nay?

EU to abolish it. UK to keep it. So it seems.

fka omuircheartaigh

Daylight savings time on 00:51 - Oct 29 with 2618 viewsJ2BLUE

Scrap it. If most of Europe are scrapping it then we probably should too for practical reasons.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Daylight savings time on 01:24 - Oct 29 with 2612 viewsWacko

Won't it actually mean that, for half a year, the UK would have the same time as most of mainland Europe rather than being always 1 hour behind?

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

Daylight savings time on 06:00 - Oct 29 with 2572 viewsRyorry

Daylight savings time on 00:51 - Oct 29 by J2BLUE

Scrap it. If most of Europe are scrapping it then we probably should too for practical reasons.

You've never lived in the N of Scotland then? If current DS were scrapped, it'd be dark there till 11.30am.

I did get in the most reading I've ever done in my life during the 3 winters I lived on Orkney tho - pre-internet days, I used to stay in bed reading till it got light at 10.30am!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Daylight savings time on 06:50 - Oct 29 with 2518 viewsBlueBadger

Daylight savings time on 01:24 - Oct 29 by Wacko

Won't it actually mean that, for half a year, the UK would have the same time as most of mainland Europe rather than being always 1 hour behind?

Post 2020* a mere hour is but a trifle as we'll be 45 years behind in terms of environmental and employment protections, trade, rich people actually paying their taxes, etc

*terms and conditions apply

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Daylight savings time on 06:53 - Oct 29 with 2523 viewsbluelagos

The bit I dont get is when they talk about farmers doing xyz. Surely they can still do xyz, it will just be a different time to now (if we adopt BST)

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Daylight savings time on 08:05 - Oct 29 with 2452 viewsfactual_blue

Daylight savings time on 06:00 - Oct 29 by Ryorry

You've never lived in the N of Scotland then? If current DS were scrapped, it'd be dark there till 11.30am.

I did get in the most reading I've ever done in my life during the 3 winters I lived on Orkney tho - pre-internet days, I used to stay in bed reading till it got light at 10.30am!

The population of the Orkneys is about 0.0003% of the UK.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Daylight savings time on 09:06 - Oct 29 with 2391 viewsGeoffSentence

Daylight savings time on 06:53 - Oct 29 by bluelagos

The bit I dont get is when they talk about farmers doing xyz. Surely they can still do xyz, it will just be a different time to now (if we adopt BST)

At certain times of the year the farmers round my way work well into dark anyone, just with the benefit of massive lights.

My window cleaner moans about the clocks going back every year, he needs daylight to work in but it is not good have an extra hour daylight in the mornings as no-one wants a window cleaner poking around when they are getting out of bed or having breakfast.

For reference there are more window cleaners in the UK than residents of the Orkneys.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Daylight savings time on 09:30 - Oct 29 with 2358 viewsitfcjoe

It's utterly pointless now - the farmers just need to adjust their working pattern and maybe start an hour later, not difficult.

It is like this in Australia too, where Queensland and New South Wales spend half a year on different time zones - we stayed at a friends in Queensland and they operated a coffee shop just over border in NSW and that was confusing as anything for us staying there a few days - guess you get used to it!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

Daylight savings time on 10:01 - Oct 29 with 2317 viewsdavblue

Daylight savings time on 09:30 - Oct 29 by itfcjoe

It's utterly pointless now - the farmers just need to adjust their working pattern and maybe start an hour later, not difficult.

It is like this in Australia too, where Queensland and New South Wales spend half a year on different time zones - we stayed at a friends in Queensland and they operated a coffee shop just over border in NSW and that was confusing as anything for us staying there a few days - guess you get used to it!

I wonder what the health benefits would be with people getting more sunlight.
Daylight savings time on 10:06 - Oct 29 with 2305 viewssolemio

Daylight savings time on 10:01 - Oct 29 by davblue

I wonder what the health benefits would be with people getting more sunlight.

Extra skin cancer cases?
Daylight savings time on 10:09 - Oct 29 with 2293 viewsRyorry

Daylight savings time on 08:05 - Oct 29 by factual_blue

The population of the Orkneys is about 0.0003% of the UK.

And?

Fair Isle, Shetland are even darker; Highlands only a few minutes' difference, not to mention Inverness, Aberdeen etc etc.

Daylight savings time on 10:11 - Oct 29 with 2287 viewsitfcjoe

Daylight savings time on 10:09 - Oct 29 by Ryorry

And?

Fair Isle, Shetland are even darker; Highlands only a few minutes' difference, not to mention Inverness, Aberdeen etc etc.

Those places have limited sunlight due to geography, not down to DST

Daylight savings time on 10:15 - Oct 29 with 2279 viewsSikamikanico

Daylight savings time on 00:51 - Oct 29 by J2BLUE

Just another thing for Brexiteers to get angry about. They will covet DST if the EU took it away.

In all honesty though its a redundancy nowadays
Daylight savings time on 10:15 - Oct 29 with 2278 viewsRyorry

Daylight savings time on 10:11 - Oct 29 by itfcjoe

Those places have limited sunlight due to geography, not down to DST

We are talking about DST and whether to change it here - the *point* is that if it were changed, the N. of Scotland wouldn't get light till 11.30am.

Daylight savings time on 10:26 - Oct 29 with 2267 viewsitfcjoe

Daylight savings time on 10:15 - Oct 29 by Ryorry

We are talking about DST and whether to change it here - the *point* is that if it were changed, the N. of Scotland wouldn't get light till 11.30am.

On the shortest day of the year in Aberdeen, which is basically the most northernly city in the UK with Inverness they have daylight from 8:28 to 15:28, does it make a huge amount of difference if that is 9:28 to 4:28?

Every worker doing normal hours, or schoolchild is still going to need to make 1 journey in the dark as there is only 7 hours of sunlight whichever way you slice it

Daylight savings time on 10:28 - Oct 29 with 2261 viewsRyorry

Daylight savings time on 10:26 - Oct 29 by itfcjoe

On the shortest day of the year in Aberdeen, which is basically the most northernly city in the UK with Inverness they have daylight from 8:28 to 15:28, does it make a huge amount of difference if that is 9:28 to 4:28?

Every worker doing normal hours, or schoolchild is still going to need to make 1 journey in the dark as there is only 7 hours of sunlight whichever way you slice it

Yes it does make a huge difference.

Have you ever lived there?

Daylight savings time on 10:28 - Oct 29 with 2260 viewsBrixtonBlue

Daylight savings time on 10:15 - Oct 29 by Ryorry

Yeah and the point others are making is why should the whole UK be governed by a few people in the far reaches of Scotland?

As others have said, it's utterly pointless now. And frankly, a bit daft.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Daylight savings time on 10:29 - Oct 29 with 2254 viewsRyorry

Daylight savings time on 10:28 - Oct 29 by BrixtonBlue

Yeah and the point others are making is why should the whole UK be governed by a few people in the far reaches of Scotland?

As others have said, it's utterly pointless now. And frankly, a bit daft.

Says someone living in London

Daylight savings time on 10:31 - Oct 29 with 2249 viewsitfcjoe

Daylight savings time on 10:28 - Oct 29 by Ryorry

No but I live somewhere where some of the daylight is wasted because I am asleep for it working normal hours - whereas none is wasted there working normal hours - there just isn't as much of it!

Daylight savings time on 10:31 - Oct 29 with 2249 viewsfooters

For something so trivial that doesn't really affect 99% of people, I'm shocked, shocked I tells ya to see so many Very Strong Opinions on the subject.

I didn't even realise it'd happened until someone told me. Still, always nice to have summat to get het up about I suppose!

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Daylight savings time on 10:32 - Oct 29 with 2242 viewsBrixtonBlue

Daylight savings time on 10:28 - Oct 29 by Ryorry

You don't seem to have answered his point.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Daylight savings time on 10:33 - Oct 29 with 2233 viewsBrixtonBlue

Daylight savings time on 10:29 - Oct 29 by Ryorry

Says someone living in London

What's that got to do with it? If I lived in the north of Scotland I still wouldn't expect to dictate to the rest of the UK about anything.

Daylight savings time on 10:35 - Oct 29 with 2224 viewstabletopjoe

Fact: changing the clock to the wrong time doesn’t save any more daylight, you still have the same amount

'Let the ignorant argue with themselves' -- CL

Daylight savings time on 10:39 - Oct 29 with 2198 viewsBrixtonBlue

Daylight savings time on 10:33 - Oct 29 by BrixtonBlue

What's that got to do with it? If I lived in the north of Scotland I still wouldn't expect to dictate to the rest of the UK about anything.

Are you alright Ryorry?

Daylight savings time on 10:41 - Oct 29 with 2187 viewsNotSure

Daylight savings time on 10:33 - Oct 29 by BrixtonBlue

Have you ever heard of the SNP?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024