Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jo Swinson 11:42 - Nov 5 with 5389 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

She seems to be trying to make out that she's some sort of alternative between the Tories plans to kill all of us who have a penny less than a million pound and Labour's undeliverable pipe dreams of a hippy free for all where we each live in harmony.

I always find the voting history of these people the best indicator of what sort of person they are. When you compare the records of Corbyn, Johnson and Swinson though, she comes off worse than Boris!

Essentially on every vote Corbyn has said we should tax the rich more, Johnson has decided not to vote (even though we know what he supports) but Swinson has actually voted against.

Pretty much everything that Johnson has voted on, Swinson has the same vote, with Corbyn voting the opposite way. How can she make herself out to be somewhere between the two, when history shows she shares the exact same ideals as Boris, but actually votes for / against the things even Boris knows it's not a good look to be seen voting for / against?

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Jo Swinson on 11:45 - Nov 5 with 3630 viewschicoazul

All you need to know about all political people is right there in their personal actions, not their words. I believe at a point in the near future there will be some sort of restriction on our ability to access how our politicians vote in Westminster and what we are allowed to know about their personal lives, in the guise of protecting politicians from abuse in the streets, online etc
[Post edited 5 Nov 2019 11:46]

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Jo Swinson on 11:49 - Nov 5 with 3600 viewsfooters

That's always been the LD's tactic: Blue Labour or Red Tories whenever/wherever it suits them. Ironically, their best electoral success came off the back of a social democratic manifesto, before getting into bed with the Tories and imposing drastic and unnecessary austerity measures. Can't trust 'em.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Jo Swinson on 11:50 - Nov 5 with 3598 viewsJ2BLUE

What's amusing is she has ruled out giving her support to make Corbyn or Johnson PM but thinks she should be PM in a remain alliance.

Lib Dems would probably get my vote if they had a different leader (unless it's Chuka). Swinson is a child. Demands a second referendum while admitting she wouldn't respect the vote if leave won again.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Jo Swinson on 11:50 - Nov 5 with 3592 viewsWD19

Yes, but she is female.....so if you don't vote for her you are sexist.
Jo Swinson on 11:51 - Nov 5 with 3582 viewsfooters

Jo Swinson on 11:45 - Nov 5 by chicoazul

All you need to know about all political people is right there in their personal actions, not their words. I believe at a point in the near future there will be some sort of restriction on our ability to access how our politicians vote in Westminster and what we are allowed to know about their personal lives, in the guise of protecting politicians from abuse in the streets, online etc
[Post edited 5 Nov 2019 11:46]

That was the case in France until very recently. After slightly relaxing their very strict privacy laws, the French public finally learned of all the misdemeanours their politicians had been up to in decades past. A fine line between protecting individuals from intrusive reporting and investigating in the public interest.

Jo Swinson on 11:52 - Nov 5 with 3574 viewsEdwardStone

Indeed

The tragedy is that the Lib Dems are Tory enablers

They try to present themselves as a sensible halfway house between the reds and the blues, but at the first opportunity they leap in to bed with the Conservatives.

One might imagine that the Lib Dems would have slightly more in common with Labour, y'know...stuff like a fairer society, be nice to each other...things like that. But some insane number of NoC councils are run by a LibDem/Con coalition and very rarely by a LibDem/Lab coalition

Having said that, Labour can be extremely tribal and inward looking in my experience, an almost pathological hatred of any who isn't on their side
Jo Swinson on 11:57 - Nov 5 with 3549 viewsitfcjoe

Wasn't she a cabinet minister so had to vote with the Government?

Voting records are not the best way to see about people for me, just listen to them talk and to what they say and you get a far better view of the person - votes are too often whipped, or they are in the cabinet, or they need to vote with their party etc.

Unless it is things like free-votes, but how many actually are there?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Jo Swinson on 11:57 - Nov 5 with 3540 viewschicoazul

Jo Swinson on 11:51 - Nov 5 by footers

That was the case in France until very recently. After slightly relaxing their very strict privacy laws, the French public finally learned of all the misdemeanours their politicians had been up to in decades past. A fine line between protecting individuals from intrusive reporting and investigating in the public interest.

It's important to know for instance, that Diane Abbott sent her son to private school.

Imagine being a high ranking French politician. All those lusty young jeune et jolie Parisian fillies trying it on with you and you live in a society where men are encouraged to take much younger girlfriends on the side and their wives are encouraged to turn a blind eye to it. Zut alors!

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Login to get fewer ads

Jo Swinson on 12:00 - Nov 5 with 3515 viewschicoazul

Jo Swinson on 11:57 - Nov 5 by itfcjoe

Voting records are not the best way to see about people for me, just listen to them talk and to what they say and you get a far better view of the person - votes are too often whipped, or they are in the cabinet, or they need to vote with their party etc.

Judge political people by what they do, not by what they say.

Jo Swinson on 12:01 - Nov 5 with 3513 viewsSteve_M

Jo Swinson on 11:50 - Nov 5 by J2BLUE

What's amusing is she has ruled out giving her support to make Corbyn or Johnson PM but thinks she should be PM in a remain alliance.

Lib Dems would probably get my vote if they had a different leader (unless it's Chuka). Swinson is a child. Demands a second referendum while admitting she wouldn't respect the vote if leave won again.

Yes, because any mention she would support Corbyn sets up a Tory "Vote Lib Dem, get Corbyn" attack.

It's fine to disagree with policy, fine to continue to argue against leaving the EU and fine to argue to rejoin should we eventually do so. That's democracy.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Jo Swinson on 12:06 - Nov 5 with 3481 viewsJ2BLUE

Jo Swinson on 12:01 - Nov 5 by Steve_M

Yes, because any mention she would support Corbyn sets up a Tory "Vote Lib Dem, get Corbyn" attack.

It's fine to disagree with policy, fine to continue to argue against leaving the EU and fine to argue to rejoin should we eventually do so. That's democracy.

Who said it isn't fine? Calling for another referendum and admitting you won't respect the vote isn't right IMO. There is a legitimate argument for a confirmation referendum, there isn't a legitimate argument for a third, fourth, fifth etc if the rest of that one is also leave.

Truly impaired.

Jo Swinson on 12:13 - Nov 5 with 3436 viewsfooters

Jo Swinson on 11:57 - Nov 5 by chicoazul

It's important to know for instance, that Diane Abbott sent her son to private school.

Imagine being a high ranking French politician. All those lusty young jeune et jolie Parisian fillies trying it on with you and you live in a society where men are encouraged to take much younger girlfriends on the side and their wives are encouraged to turn a blind eye to it. Zut alors!

I see you're coming round to at least one aspect of my Francophilia. Of course, your beloved Italians do still have their bunga bunga, but that is much seedier than French passions of the flesh.

Jo Swinson on 12:17 - Nov 5 with 3422 viewsBluefish

Jo Swinson on 12:06 - Nov 5 by J2BLUE

Who said it isn't fine? Calling for another referendum and admitting you won't respect the vote isn't right IMO. There is a legitimate argument for a confirmation referendum, there isn't a legitimate argument for a third, fourth, fifth etc if the rest of that one is also leave.

It amazes me how so many people are getting agitated by the Lib Dems having a clear stance on backing remain and opposing leave. None of the same people seem to expect the Brexit party to change their stance if the public were to vote to remain.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Jo Swinson on 12:21 - Nov 5 with 3401 viewsSteve_M

It's essentially an argument to rejoin the EU by that stage though. Which, once the consequences of our collective stupidity become apparent, will be a popular cause.

And then the French will veto it again.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Jo Swinson on 12:24 - Nov 5 with 3382 viewsitfcjoe

Jo Swinson on 12:00 - Nov 5 by chicoazul

Judge political people by what they do, not by what they say.

That as well, but voting records are such a terrible thing to vote for people on - everyone has votes that can make them look bad bar permanent rebels like Corbyn, and 95% of them can't stick around as an MP for long enough

Jo Swinson on 12:25 - Nov 5 with 3371 viewsitfcjoe

Do you think the SNP will stop wanting a further IndyRef if they lose the next one? It is their raison d'etre, and the EU has become the LDs.

They don't change their opinions on what is right for the country just because they lose

Jo Swinson on 12:32 - Nov 5 with 3339 viewsJ2BLUE

Jo Swinson on 12:25 - Nov 5 by itfcjoe

Do you think the SNP will stop wanting a further IndyRef if they lose the next one? It is their raison d'etre, and the EU has become the LDs.

They don't change their opinions on what is right for the country just because they lose

I just don't think she should have been pushing for a referendum she had no intention of respecting. It's dishonest.

No issue with her pushing for an election, campaigning on a remain ticket and carrying on opposing leaving.

Truly impaired.

Jo Swinson on 12:34 - Nov 5 with 3329 viewsitfcjoe

Jo Swinson on 12:32 - Nov 5 by J2BLUE

I just don't think she should have been pushing for a referendum she had no intention of respecting. It's dishonest.

No issue with her pushing for an election, campaigning on a remain ticket and carrying on opposing leaving.

How is that different to the SNP?

And realistically, how is what she said different to what your last paragraph says?

Jo Swinson on 12:37 - Nov 5 with 3319 viewspointofblue

Jo Swinson on 12:32 - Nov 5 by J2BLUE

I thought the Lib Dem’s were for revoking Article 50 without holding a vote, which I think is fair enough should they win an outright majority. But there’s no point in holding a referendum if the result isn’t going to be carried through.
[Post edited 5 Nov 2019 12:45]

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Jo Swinson on 12:40 - Nov 5 with 3304 viewsJ2BLUE

Jo Swinson on 12:34 - Nov 5 by itfcjoe

How is that different to the SNP?

And realistically, how is what she said different to what your last paragraph says?

I'm not claiming it is different. If Scotland get another referendum it should be legally binding and the SNP should have to accept it's a one and done (for a certain number of years) referendum.

A referendum is a direct instruction from the electorate. I just believe if you demand a referendum when your side has already lost once you should at least respect the vote if it goes against you again. I just believe in honesty.

Just my opinion. I'm not going to spend all afternoon going around in circles.

Truly impaired.

Jo Swinson on 12:41 - Nov 5 with 3299 viewsfooters

Jo Swinson on 12:40 - Nov 5 by J2BLUE

I'm not claiming it is different. If Scotland get another referendum it should be legally binding and the SNP should have to accept it's a one and done (for a certain number of years) referendum.

A referendum is a direct instruction from the electorate. I just believe if you demand a referendum when your side has already lost once you should at least respect the vote if it goes against you again. I just believe in honesty.

Just my opinion. I'm not going to spend all afternoon going around in circles.

You'd get terribly dizzy if you did.

Jo Swinson on 12:50 - Nov 5 with 3240 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Jo Swinson on 11:50 - Nov 5 by WD19

Yes, but she is female.....so if you don't vote for her you are sexist.

No that's if you don't vote for her because of her squeaky whiny voice!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Jo Swinson on 13:05 - Nov 5 with 3188 viewsGlasgowBlue

In his Parliamentary career Corbyn has actually voted with the Tories more times than Swinson has.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Jo Swinson on 13:06 - Nov 5 with 3187 viewsCBBlue

Jo Swinson on 11:57 - Nov 5 by itfcjoe

Completely agree, the voting records thing I've seen on twitter is just Labour trying to discredit the LibDems. As itfcjoe says she didn't really have too much choice but to vote for some of those things as she was part of the coalition (in order to get some of their fairer policies though they had to agree to support some of the tory policies).

And by trying to make out she's worse than Boris by saying even he didn't vote for some of the tory policies - I beleive he wasn't an MP between 2008 and 2015 so obviously wouldn't have voted on a number of things during that time.

Poll: School on Monday - are you sending in your R, Y1 or Y6 kids?

Jo Swinson on 13:08 - Nov 5 with 3167 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Jo Swinson on 13:05 - Nov 5 by GlasgowBlue

In his Parliamentary career Corbyn has actually voted with the Tories more times than Swinson has.

This is going to one of the usual Tory bullsh*t tactics isn't it.

The very fact you stopped after one line and didn't elaborate is proof enough coming from you. If it had any basis you'd gloat.

It'll be something like Corbyn has been going for 30 years and has voted with the Tories 15 times out of 15,000 and Swinson has been there 5 minutes and has voted 14 times out of 14. Technically, Corbyn has voted with them more times.

Why don't you try giving us the respective percentages now.

This is just the political version of you saying in July that Cole Skuse was a better finisher than James Norwood as he had more Town goals.
[Post edited 5 Nov 2019 13:15]

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024