Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
free broadband for all 22:08 - Nov 14 with 12741 viewslowhouseblue

nationalising bt and we all get free broad band. cool.
come on labour, add sky to the list so that we get free sky sports as well - what's the point of having the free broadband otherwise.
yeah free stuff.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

free broadband for all on 11:15 - Nov 15 with 1774 viewsSwansea_Blue

About time too. Let's get connected for a modern age.

Politicising the civil service would be a disaster though.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

free broadband for all on 11:28 - Nov 15 with 1756 viewsPinewoodblue

Surely there are two issues Getting the infrastructure in place, then maintaining it.

If anything would prefer doing away with TV licence fee.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

free broadband for all on 12:56 - Nov 15 with 1717 viewsBackToRussia

Still waiting for your basic maths.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

free broadband for all on 13:40 - Nov 15 with 1675 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

free broadband for all on 17:06 - Nov 15 with 1635 viewsBackToRussia

free broadband for all on 12:56 - Nov 15 by BackToRussia

Still waiting for your basic maths.

Bump. This is taking ages.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

free broadband for all on 17:12 - Nov 15 with 1633 viewsazuremerlangus

Education for children is free too - not to say that everybody makes the most of it!

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

free broadband for all on 17:24 - Nov 15 with 1612 viewsClapham_Junction

free broadband for all on 09:51 - Nov 15 by StokieBlue

BT are already disputing the costings and put them at more like 100bn to do what Labour are promising - the boss of BT's take:

"It needs funding, it is very big numbers, so we are talking 30 to 40 billion pounds.. and if you are giving it away over an eight year time frame it is a another 30 or 40 billion pounds. You are not short of 100 billion pounds."

He might be totally wrong but given the huge difference we need to see some proper numbers and analysis.

Talk Talk were due to sell their fibre infrastructure but that's now been canned until after the election by the buyers.

Interestingly the state owned Deutsche Telecom is the biggest shareholder in BT. I wonder what the Germans think about the idea of getting UK debt for their investment.

SB

Labour appear to be using the government's own figures, which suggested it could be done for £20.3bn under a national monopoly model, vs £32bn under an "enhanced competition" model.

See summary on p102: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attac
free broadband for all on 17:31 - Nov 15 with 1605 viewsBloomBlue

The crazy thing is Labour have been calling for BT's monopoly to be broken up for years and what are they going to do, replace it with an even bigger monopoly.

This will destroy the Tech sector in this Country, a sector which employees vast numbers of people.

And from what I can hasn't factored in the cost of paying the BT employees or taking over part of the BT pension fund.
Login to get fewer ads

free broadband for all on 17:57 - Nov 15 with 1581 viewslongtimefan

free broadband for all on 17:24 - Nov 15 by Clapham_Junction

Labour appear to be using the government's own figures, which suggested it could be done for £20.3bn under a national monopoly model, vs £32bn under an "enhanced competition" model.

See summary on p102: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attac

That's the capital cost of providing the infrastructure. It doesn't factor in acquiring Openreach, paying for their wages, lack of any return due to giving away free access or having to address BT Pension deficit! In particular that cost is based on the key assumption that "FTTP deployment in unprofitable areas is funded from profits earned in the lower cost
areas". As Labour is giving it away for free this doesn't apply.
free broadband for all on 18:00 - Nov 15 with 1578 viewslongtimefan

free broadband for all on 17:06 - Nov 15 by BackToRussia

Bump. This is taking ages.

While we're at maybe you could reply to this one on Page 3.

"Can I ask why you pay £80/month? I get fiber to the curb with around 50Mbit/s for less than £30/month through BT."
free broadband for all on 18:06 - Nov 15 with 1572 viewsLankHenners

free broadband for all on 17:24 - Nov 15 by Clapham_Junction

Logged in to make this point as it didn't seem that it had been picked up on.

The general debate over Labour's scatter-gun approach to these announcements and the practicalities of this specific one are still valid but I wonder if there'll be a mea culpa from the people very much playing the man rather than the ball on this one...

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

free broadband for all on 18:27 - Nov 15 with 1549 viewsBloomBlue

free broadband for all on 17:57 - Nov 15 by longtimefan

That's the capital cost of providing the infrastructure. It doesn't factor in acquiring Openreach, paying for their wages, lack of any return due to giving away free access or having to address BT Pension deficit! In particular that cost is based on the key assumption that "FTTP deployment in unprofitable areas is funded from profits earned in the lower cost
areas". As Labour is giving it away for free this doesn't apply.

BT are saying when you include things like openreach staff and the ongoing costs of employing those, plus pension and buying the shares the cost will be nearer 100billion than 20billion
free broadband for all on 18:37 - Nov 15 with 1538 viewsBackToRussia

free broadband for all on 18:00 - Nov 15 by longtimefan

While we're at maybe you could reply to this one on Page 3.

"Can I ask why you pay £80/month? I get fiber to the curb with around 50Mbit/s for less than £30/month through BT."

That's how much the best service is from Virgin. It's different all over the country, good reason to standardise it really.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

free broadband for all on 18:50 - Nov 15 with 1508 viewsSwansea_Blue

free broadband for all on 17:12 - Nov 15 by azuremerlangus

Education for children is free too - not to say that everybody makes the most of it!

This is the nonsensical thing isn’t it. We already have plenty of ‘free’ stuff (things we don’t pay for at the point of supply). School age education, roads, much of the NHS, public order via the police & judiciary, emergency services, etc.

This would just be something else. And it isn’t really free, none of it. We’ll pay one way or the other. Our broadband is pretty poor in the UK - just had a quick look and last year we were ranked 35th quickest. Romania’s is about twice as quick on average! So maybe we do need public funds to sort it out? Could they have a balance - significant public investment to upgrade to service and then charge for usage? Moot point I suppose as that’s not what they’re talking about, but they could easily fall back to that position is the finances don’t work out.

free broadband for all on 18:55 - Nov 15 with 1504 viewslongtimefan

free broadband for all on 18:37 - Nov 15 by BackToRussia

That's how much the best service is from Virgin. It's different all over the country, good reason to standardise it really.

Surely that must include services other than broadband? Assuming you get their gigabit service what do you do that actually makes use of those top-line speeds. I seem to manage to stream multiple tv channels and connect remotely to work without issue with 50M.
free broadband for all on 18:57 - Nov 15 with 1497 viewslongtimefan

free broadband for all on 18:06 - Nov 15 by LankHenners

Logged in to make this point as it didn't seem that it had been picked up on.

The general debate over Labour's scatter-gun approach to these announcements and the practicalities of this specific one are still valid but I wonder if there'll be a mea culpa from the people very much playing the man rather than the ball on this one...

See above. That figure doesn’t reflect Labour’s approach!
free broadband for all on 19:02 - Nov 15 with 1488 viewsClapham_Junction

free broadband for all on 18:50 - Nov 15 by Swansea_Blue

This is the nonsensical thing isn’t it. We already have plenty of ‘free’ stuff (things we don’t pay for at the point of supply). School age education, roads, much of the NHS, public order via the police & judiciary, emergency services, etc.

This would just be something else. And it isn’t really free, none of it. We’ll pay one way or the other. Our broadband is pretty poor in the UK - just had a quick look and last year we were ranked 35th quickest. Romania’s is about twice as quick on average! So maybe we do need public funds to sort it out? Could they have a balance - significant public investment to upgrade to service and then charge for usage? Moot point I suppose as that’s not what they’re talking about, but they could easily fall back to that position is the finances don’t work out.

free broadband for all on 19:02 - Nov 15 with 1487 viewsBackToRussia

free broadband for all on 18:55 - Nov 15 by longtimefan

Surely that must include services other than broadband? Assuming you get their gigabit service what do you do that actually makes use of those top-line speeds. I seem to manage to stream multiple tv channels and connect remotely to work without issue with 50M.

It might be a bit less, my flat mate handles the bills, but it's above 50. It doesn't work very well even then.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

free broadband for all on 19:13 - Nov 15 with 1470 viewsLankHenners

free broadband for all on 18:57 - Nov 15 by longtimefan

See above. That figure doesn’t reflect Labour’s approach!

Yes, there are complexities when it comes to the practicalities of some aspects which will need thrashing out, but the point is that a scheme that people are bashing Labour for plucking out of the air to appeal to people who want 'free stuff' was actually something that the current government considered in their own research on the matter.

It seems to some it's only a bad idea because someone wearing a red rosette said it.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

free broadband for all on 19:21 - Nov 15 with 1453 viewsSwansea_Blue

free broadband for all on 19:02 - Nov 15 by Clapham_Junction

I forgot about libraries. They’d be sending people round to take away our rubbish if Corbyn got his way!

free broadband for all on 20:11 - Nov 15 with 1410 viewslongtimefan

free broadband for all on 19:13 - Nov 15 by LankHenners

Yes, there are complexities when it comes to the practicalities of some aspects which will need thrashing out, but the point is that a scheme that people are bashing Labour for plucking out of the air to appeal to people who want 'free stuff' was actually something that the current government considered in their own research on the matter.

It seems to some it's only a bad idea because someone wearing a red rosette said it.

In my opinion it wouldn’t matter what colour of government proposed what Labour is proposing, it doesn’t make sense. The reality is that what is being proposed is not what that document has costed. Real costs would be much greater given Labour’s nationalisation approach. However probably the biggest danger is that such an approach would actually delay the immediate rollout of such services. A decision to go down this route would immediately result in the curtailing of any private investment, while it’s expected to take 3 to 5 years to actually get a nationalised setup up and running!
free broadband for all on 20:17 - Nov 15 with 1400 viewsLord_Lucan

I haven't read the thread so apologies if already mentioned but if we were to stay in the EU there is no way they would accept UK having a state owned broadband service.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

free broadband for all on 20:23 - Nov 15 with 1399 viewslongtimefan

free broadband for all on 20:17 - Nov 15 by Lord_Lucan

I haven't read the thread so apologies if already mentioned but if we were to stay in the EU there is no way they would accept UK having a state owned broadband service.

I think EU rules wouldn’t prohibit a state owned Broadband provider but they would take exception to it being a free service as that prevents effective competition.
free broadband for all on 20:29 - Nov 15 with 1390 viewsNo9

Since 2010 the taxpayer has given BT the best part of £4 Billion.
BT at the same time they pocketed that paid a fortune for a German mobile Phone Co
And commenced BT sport at the cost of several £ Billions.
You tories are happy to keep subsidising these companies - why?
Back in the 70's PO telephones was one of the ofremeost telecoms companies in the world
It is now lame duck - why should we continue to pay premium prices for a non BB package?
free broadband for all on 20:30 - Nov 15 with 1389 viewsDubtractor

One slightly odd aspect to this proposal for me, is that the areas most likely to benefit from improved internet are those that would still vote tory if the candidate was a wheelie bin with a blue rosette on it.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024