Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This Country is not democratic 10:28 - Dec 7 with 4464 viewsKropotkin123

and I do not recognise the forthcoming election results. They are rigged in favour of increasing the majority's share over the minority.

Last election it took roughly 40k people to vote in one conservative MP. Whereas it took almost 200k to vote in a Liberal democrat MP, 550k to vote in a Green MP and UKIP didn't get a single seat with 600k votes.

Based on a 650 seater house, the Conservatives got 42 MPs more than the population wanted. Labour got 2 MPs more than they deserved. Liberal Democrats got 36 less than they should have, Greens got 10 less than they should have and UKIP should have had 12.

This will be repeated time and again because the main benefactors each time don't want a democratic system. They want the system that maximises their position.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

This Country is not democratic on 23:01 - Dec 7 with 906 viewsKropotkin123

This Country is not democratic on 17:34 - Dec 7 by GaryCooper

You have omitted the largest non democratic problem, less than one million Scots elected 35 MP's.

I wouldn't worry too much about the Scots. They'll be their own independent country soon enough

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.

This Country is not democratic on 23:07 - Dec 7 with 899 viewsHARRY10

This Country is not democratic on 22:56 - Dec 7 by Ewan_Oozami

You are rapidly becoming TWTD's expert in the use of the non sequitur....

Do let me know when I attain that post

Always gratifying to have something to celebrate, however inconsequental.
This Country is not democratic on 23:09 - Dec 7 with 898 viewsClapham_Junction

You have omitted the largest non democratic problem, less than one million Scots elected 35 MP's.

Personally I'd say the biggest problem in our democracy are political donations. It's effectively legalised bribery. Legitimate elections are supposed to be free and fair — any system that allows the wealthy to bankroll a party that supports their views and implements policies in their favour does not meet the latter test IMO.
This Country is not democratic on 09:18 - Dec 8 with 859 viewsWeWereZombies

This Country is not democratic on 17:53 - Dec 7 by Darth_Koont

It's not daft if they're ultimately the only realistic option for Remain via a second referendum.

Voting for the LibDems in a Labour/Conservative or SNP/Conservative marginal is certainly plain daft. As is voting Labour where other parties have the only realistic chance of stopping a Tory MP.

Any examples of SNP/Conservative marginals, Jackson Carlaw does not even warrant a Scot Squad: Leaders Off The Record interview yet...

Although I have to say that Nicola comes off better than Willie Rennie there.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

This Country is not democratic on 09:26 - Dec 8 with 852 viewsWeWereZombies

This Country is not democratic on 18:08 - Dec 7 by BloomBlue

But revoking article 50 would destroy this country as you would split this country in half

England and Wales are already split in half by this divisive issue (and our power as one of the 'Big Three' in Europe is eroding by the day, even if a successful Brexit deal is negotiated we will still need a power in Europe to exercise to implement it), the only thing that will heal the divide is revoking Article 50 and having sensible discussions to bottom the differences that have caused this. Few of which have much to do with the European Union and are more the effect of globalisation. In the process we might just save the United Kingdom.

This Country is not democratic on 10:30 - Dec 8 with 834 viewsPinewoodblue

This Country is not democratic on 23:01 - Dec 7 by Kropotkin123

I wouldn't worry too much about the Scots. They'll be their own independent country soon enough

Don't count on it. SNP will win around 45 out of 51 seats with a lower share of the vote than the Conservative's achieve in England.

I wouldn't put money on a Scottish vote for independence, not that they are likely to get another referendum anytime soon.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

This Country is not democratic on 11:04 - Dec 8 with 828 viewsKropotkin123

This Country is not democratic on 23:09 - Dec 7 by Clapham_Junction

Personally I'd say the biggest problem in our democracy are political donations. It's effectively legalised bribery. Legitimate elections are supposed to be free and fair — any system that allows the wealthy to bankroll a party that supports their views and implements policies in their favour does not meet the latter test IMO.

Yep, this is called clientlism. It fundamentally undermines our democratic process

EDIT: apologies, I meant to up vote
[Post edited 8 Dec 2019 11:05]

This Country is not democratic on 15:45 - Dec 8 with 797 viewsBlueForYou

This Country is not democratic on 10:30 - Dec 8 by Pinewoodblue

Don't count on it. SNP will win around 45 out of 51 seats with a lower share of the vote than the Conservative's achieve in England.

I wouldn't put money on a Scottish vote for independence, not that they are likely to get another referendum anytime soon.

Apparently (& I did check this) more people in Scotland voted to Leave than voted for the SNP in 2017..!!
Login to get fewer ads

This Country is not democratic on 17:40 - Dec 8 with 784 viewseastwell_blue

But we are always being told how our political system is the envy of the world. Strange how nobody else seems to want to copy it.
This Country is not democratic on 23:42 - Dec 8 with 756 viewsbaxterbasics

This Country is not democratic on 17:40 - Dec 8 by eastwell_blue

But we are always being told how our political system is the envy of the world. Strange how nobody else seems to want to copy it.

Many have copied it, which is why it is sometimes referred to as "the mother of all parliaments"

One advantage of the FPTP and two party system is it forces power-seeking parties to target the centre ground, and discourages the extremism we see in other European and developed nations. It is important that the two parties remain 'broad church' in such a system so there is room for a range of views and backgrounds. This last factor has been tested, somewhat.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

This Country is not democratic on 00:01 - Dec 9 with 748 viewsClapham_Junction

This Country is not democratic on 23:42 - Dec 8 by baxterbasics

Many have copied it, which is why it is sometimes referred to as "the mother of all parliaments"

One advantage of the FPTP and two party system is it forces power-seeking parties to target the centre ground, and discourages the extremism we see in other European and developed nations. It is important that the two parties remain 'broad church' in such a system so there is room for a range of views and backgrounds. This last factor has been tested, somewhat.

If you exclude countries where it is a leftover from the colonial era, the only counties that have copied it are Azerbaijan, Belarus, Ethiopia, Gabon, Ivory Coast, Laos and Oman - all paragons of democracy.
[Post edited 9 Dec 2019 0:04]
This Country is not democratic on 00:28 - Dec 9 with 738 viewsThe_Last_Baron

This Country is not democratic on 23:01 - Dec 7 by Kropotkin123

I doubt that.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

This Country is not democratic on 00:29 - Dec 9 with 736 viewsThe_Last_Baron

This Country is not democratic on 10:30 - Dec 8 by Pinewoodblue

SNP will win 40/41 max.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

This Country is not democratic on 09:21 - Dec 9 with 691 viewschicoazul

Wondering if we would have seen this thread and similar sentiments like it from the commentariat if it was the Maximum Leader 11 points ahead and on course for a majority. That's all.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

This Country is not democratic on 09:23 - Dec 9 with 688 viewschicoazul

Another voter for the SNP here! We can make this happen! Scotland must become independent.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

This Country is not democratic on 13:47 - Dec 9 with 668 viewsKropotkin123

This Country is not democratic on 09:21 - Dec 9 by chicoazul

Wondering if we would have seen this thread and similar sentiments like it from the commentariat if it was the Maximum Leader 11 points ahead and on course for a majority. That's all.

Wonder no longer... I usually post something similar after each election - Be it a Labour or Conservative win.

The key differences this time is I've done it before the election and more people have been lured by the initial header. I did it before this time because reflecting on previous posts, people didn't seem that interested in it as the election was over.

It is a little odd that you have gone for the party angle when I have promoted the injustice against right-wing parties (UKIP), left-wing (Green) and centre (Lib Dems).

As my username suggests, I've long been a critic of the undemocratic practices of this country and will continue to do so until there are changes or I die.

This Country is not democratic on 14:16 - Dec 9 with 660 viewsGeoffSentence

Nope. None have copied our system. There are no other political systems that include an unelected second chamber with hereditary members.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

This Country is not democratic on 14:30 - Dec 9 with 654 viewsClapham_Junction

This Country is not democratic on 14:16 - Dec 9 by GeoffSentence

Nope. None have copied our system. There are no other political systems that include an unelected second chamber with hereditary members.

I'm afraid there is at least one I'm aware of - Lesotho's Senate consists of 22 hereditary chiefs and 11 members appointed on advice of the Prime Minister.

Botswana has a House of Chiefs, but it is advisory body.
This Country is not democratic on 14:37 - Dec 9 with 648 viewsSwansea_Blue

Most of those who copied it were part of our empire, so it was more a case of us importing it. Very few other countries use this FPTP winner take all approach (only Belarus and France in Europe, for example)

https://www.fairvote.org/research_electoralsystems_world

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

This Country is not democratic on 14:38 - Dec 9 with 648 viewsGaryCooper

This Country is not democratic on 09:23 - Dec 9 by chicoazul

Another voter for the SNP here! We can make this happen! Scotland must become independent.

Then who will they blame?
This Country is not democratic on 20:14 - Dec 9 with 619 viewsWeWereZombies

This Country is not democratic on 14:30 - Dec 9 by Clapham_Junction

I'm afraid there is at least one I'm aware of - Lesotho's Senate consists of 22 hereditary chiefs and 11 members appointed on advice of the Prime Minister.

Botswana has a House of Chiefs, but it is advisory body.

It snowed the last, and only, time I was in Lesotho.

This Country is not democratic on 20:38 - Dec 9 with 607 viewsPinewoodblue

This Country is not democratic on 00:29 - Dec 9 by The_Last_Baron

SNP will win 40/41 max.

Ironic how the Conservatives gained so many seats in Scotland in 2017, without that happening we wouldn’t be in the mess we are now.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

This Country is not democratic on 20:46 - Dec 9 with 600 viewsPecker

That is why everybody should vote Conservative. That way they can have 100% support from the country and you can say that you voted for them.
This Country is not democratic on 20:49 - Dec 9 with 598 viewsHerbivore

This Country is not democratic on 20:46 - Dec 9 by Pecker

That is why everybody should vote Conservative. That way they can have 100% support from the country and you can say that you voted for them.

How are you seeing what's going on and still thinking that people should vote Conservative? Ideally try to answer without mentioning Corbyn.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

This Country is not democratic on 21:35 - Dec 9 with 580 viewsWeWereZombies

This Country is not democratic on 20:49 - Dec 9 by Herbivore

How are you seeing what's going on and still thinking that people should vote Conservative? Ideally try to answer without mentioning Corbyn.

I think you may just have been, with a remarkable subtle touch given the poster's previous, whooshed...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024