Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rate your 2019 08:34 - Dec 11 with 4997 viewsartsbossbeard

Work: Made a bit of an error in moving from corporate life to a small business with an owner who only wants to work how he’s always worked. Lovely little firm but it’s not for me.

Family: All good, and whilst we’ve lost a couple of decent people this year in my circle of friends, family hasn’t been affected, which is a decent compromise. Father-in-law is far from well though, so that leads us into a worry in 2020.

Travel: Had an amazing year in fairness, visited relations in Australia and it was ace. A real highlight for 2019 for the family and I. Had a couple of weeks on the Turkish Med, a long weekend in Southern Spain and a raucous weekend in Amsterdam to include seeing Underworld, drinking way too much and generally not taking good care of my heart and liver.

Health: None too shabby. Still playing footy. Enjoying cycling/spinning. No major medical issues.

Overall, a satisfying 8.9789/10

Whataboutu?

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Rate your 2019 on 21:53 - Dec 11 with 1149 viewsWeWereZombies

Rate your 2019 on 18:17 - Dec 11 by DebsyAngel

Been the worst one of my life.

Started the year with my Dad in and out of hospital after complications and infection from his hip replacement.

I was fairly healthy up to end of March when got a cold that turned into a chest infection, and since then, had nothing but more and more problems. Doctors been hopeless and no medication has helped. They treat me like a hypocondriac and will not even listen about me saying medication and the virus had affected my thyroid.

Got gallstones, anxiety, severe depression (cannot even take antidepressants as not permitted with my eye problem), and they have discovered an ectopic heartbeat which I cannot be seen about until next year now.

This constocondritis has made my life hell too since May. The pain is so bad that I spend most days crying. Also so breathless and shooting pains down chest.

There were a few highlights - meeting up with friends in a Facebook group I am in, in London and Manchester, the odd day trip out, buying more records to add to my collection, and the few gigs been to been superb (Midge Ure, OMD, heaven 17 and Squeeze). It was great to meet Midge Ure too.

Not really looking forward to Xmas and for the first time in years not feeling that festive which really saddens me as I normally love it.

I can see now why we have not heard much from you lately, your calming contributions have been much missed. I finished 2018 recovering from a double subdural hematoma (and just one of those did for Gary Rhodes, five years younger than me too) so 2019 has been patchy at first and then gradual improvement as well as, joy of joys, finally getting my driving licence back a few weeks ago (standard withdrawal of six months for a serious head injury but for some reason they decided to make me go without for nigh on a year).

All that being said what I have been through seems like nothing compared to your challenges, I don't want to give you false hope because it is the combination of your conditions that makes things so difficult. All I really had was one big problem to overcome. But take one day at a time, try to follow the most sensible advice even if it puts a stop to things that are briefly pleasurable (I have drunk very little alcohol this last year) and savour those small victories. It is remarkable what a body can recover from given time and rest. I am, and I hope everyone else on TWTD, is wishing you the very best...and I look forward to more regular posts from you. After what you have shared I think they will be well worth reading.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Rate your 2019 on 22:38 - Dec 11 with 1115 viewspatrickswell

Had some good moments and interesting developments in work.

But I've got too much of the little stuff wrong I think and I need to do better...problem is I don't feel like I can. If I do, I will be delighted, but there is a lot of deep-seated self-ennui to try and beat.

Edit - I wouldn't say this on Twitter or Facebook, but somehow feel that I can do so here. This is a special place, you know. We should treat each other better than we sometimes do.
[Post edited 11 Dec 2019 22:43]
Rate your 2019 on 22:44 - Dec 11 with 1111 viewsSwansea_Blue

Blimey, group hugs needed. If it’s any consolation, it’s nice to know other people feel like sh*t too!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Rate your 2019 on 22:46 - Dec 11 with 1107 viewsSwansea_Blue

Rate your 2019 on 22:38 - Dec 11 by patrickswell

Had some good moments and interesting developments in work.

But I've got too much of the little stuff wrong I think and I need to do better...problem is I don't feel like I can. If I do, I will be delighted, but there is a lot of deep-seated self-ennui to try and beat.

Edit - I wouldn't say this on Twitter or Facebook, but somehow feel that I can do so here. This is a special place, you know. We should treat each other better than we sometimes do.
[Post edited 11 Dec 2019 22:43]

I think we all get the little stuff wrong, but it’s probably not as important as we think (unless you’re a professional footballer or heart surgeon!).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Rate your 2019 on 22:54 - Dec 11 with 1102 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Work....Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter.
Family....treasure and nurture them
Travel....Turkey last Easter
Health....New achy bits every year. Mental health likely to deteriorate imminently!

A Corbyn on EU 7/10
[Post edited 11 Dec 2019 23:55]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Rate your 2019 on 22:55 - Dec 11 with 1103 viewsDubtractor

Work: Decent. Got a promotion to new role at the end of 2018 and have had a really good year with it. Can't ask for more really, I do a job I enjoy, with a really good team, and get a decent salary for the trouble. Not work, but my radio show I do for a hobby has started to get decent traction with labels and PR companies sharing music with me and a number of regional bands coming on the show.

Family: All good really, everyone in good health. No dramas, no falling out! I'm not the most family oriented bloke ever though so maybe I've missed things!

Travel: Not really a traveller so would focus on gigs and festivals that I've been to. A fine year on that front, Green Man fest being the pick. But aside from that loads of gigs and smaller festivals - live music is one of the things that makes me tick.

Health: Can't grumble. Still playing 6 a side footy and despite being the oldest there (44) I'm more than holding my own. In decent shape overall, even lost half a stone this year, but a few niggles that come from getting older - constant bad back, minor hernia that I have to manage a little.

Overall a solid 8/10.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Rate your 2019 on 22:56 - Dec 11 with 1101 viewspatrickswell

Rate your 2019 on 22:46 - Dec 11 by Swansea_Blue

I think we all get the little stuff wrong, but it’s probably not as important as we think (unless you’re a professional footballer or heart surgeon!).

It's little stuff in work and in life. Every year I tell myself it will be different, and every year it never pans out. I'm not a bad person, I have loving relationships with my wife and family, but I feel that I really need to do better by them and myself.

For all that 2020 has some intriguing developments coming up across a number of areas: moving into an apartment that we'll own, interesting work, playing Macbeth in a small London venue etc.

Just hope that I do the little stuff better and everyone's health stays good.
Rate your 2019 on 23:04 - Dec 11 with 1096 viewsIPS_wich

Work: Just incredible. Finally made it to the top of my career ladder after 22 years with a great firm and a great team. Nationally as a firm we’ve grown from 200 people when I joined 2.5 years ago to 400, but in Perth we’ve grown from 8 when I joined to 32 in the same period. Been amazing to be one of the three people leading the office and that was rewarded when I was promoted to the top tier in July (one of 22 nationally). Very minor regret from a financial perspective that I chose to step away from the Big 4 when I was one step from making partner, but from a mental health and personal values perspective it was 100% the right decision. Can’t wait for the new year.

Family: Our small little family of four poms down under have had a great year. My wife finally got some recognition at work and is now leading her team. The two kids are loving life and doing really well at school. Family in the UK less good. We almost lost my step-mum but somehow she survived a major illness that she was given a 1 in 10 chance of beating...but she’s in for a couple of years of hard recovery. My mother-in-law has been diagnosed with early onset dementia - which is really hard on us being the other side of the world. Step-brother got divorced but that was a relief for all - even his kids.

Travel: lots of travel across Australia with work - which has been great. 10 days in Singapore in July...what a city, can’t wait to go back. But with a pool and beer fridge in the back yard the need to travel for sun is much less than when we were in the uk.

Health: all good apart from a few too many pounds on the waist from several long business trips!!

Other: as I can stream all Ipswich games it’s been a year or two halves - here hoping 2020 keeps improving. My Aussie Rules team had a rubbish year punctuated with 3-4 great performances, but were a young squad so here’s hoping the next couple of years improve.

Score: 8/10 - would be higher if family health issues had been better
[Post edited 11 Dec 2019 23:07]
Login to get fewer ads

Rate your 2019 on 23:49 - Dec 11 with 1077 viewsDebsyAngel

Rate your 2019 on 19:57 - Dec 11 by bluewein

Sorry to destroy this thread, but...

Work:- Pays the bills, but other than that I've got nothing to show for it bar the odd town game here and there and a few gigs. I hate it but I just can't find anything else.

Family: Barely get to see them because of the above. They're only a couple hours away and I'm struggling to make that. Thought things were going well with a relationship, but she decided after a trip back to her home country that she wanted to move back with her ex in the space of 4 weeks. Ow. my pride

Travel: I think the most exotic I've managed is Accrington.

Health: Not great. Type 1 diabetes and drinking . Yep, it's stupid I know

So all in all, 2019 can do one. Can't say I'm looking forward to 2020 either. 1/10...

Edit:- Feel bad reading Debsys year now and probably need to reassess and realise it might not be that bad after all. Thoughts with you DA...
[Post edited 11 Dec 2019 22:18]

Thank you - yours sounds like a stinker as well and so hope you have a better one next year xx
Rate your 2019 on 23:53 - Dec 11 with 1075 viewsDebsyAngel

Rate your 2019 on 21:53 - Dec 11 by WeWereZombies

I can see now why we have not heard much from you lately, your calming contributions have been much missed. I finished 2018 recovering from a double subdural hematoma (and just one of those did for Gary Rhodes, five years younger than me too) so 2019 has been patchy at first and then gradual improvement as well as, joy of joys, finally getting my driving licence back a few weeks ago (standard withdrawal of six months for a serious head injury but for some reason they decided to make me go without for nigh on a year).

All that being said what I have been through seems like nothing compared to your challenges, I don't want to give you false hope because it is the combination of your conditions that makes things so difficult. All I really had was one big problem to overcome. But take one day at a time, try to follow the most sensible advice even if it puts a stop to things that are briefly pleasurable (I have drunk very little alcohol this last year) and savour those small victories. It is remarkable what a body can recover from given time and rest. I am, and I hope everyone else on TWTD, is wishing you the very best...and I look forward to more regular posts from you. After what you have shared I think they will be well worth reading.

What a lovely reply - that has really made my day. I never realised my contributions were calming!

I am still going to the home games, and mostly enjoy them still.

You sound like you have been through a lot worse than me - and I so hope next year will be happy for you. Thank you so much xx
Rate your 2019 on 23:54 - Dec 11 with 1073 viewsMelford

Work- not too bad. It's money for nothing compared to what I used to do 7/10

Travel- Went to London for a couple of days when I was Steely Dan, couple of weekends birdwatching at Minsmere 2/10

Family- Bit up and down. Parents both in rude health, my old man is still on site 3 days a week dry lining at 69. One of my brothers has had big problems this year with substances and their effects, law and court kind of stuff which has been a constant thing over the year. 5/10

Health- Stopped drinking in July after years of being a massive pisshead, started going to AA meetings and working the 12 steps, it was seriously messing me up and I had to change. My health is a lot better as a result and I've started playing 5-a-side every week, I got called in at the last minute to play in my drinking days 6 months ago and had to finish after about 15 minutes and stagger off to throw up. Now I don't even have to bring my inhaler, I can do the hour no problem now. 8/10

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Rate your 2019 on 23:56 - Dec 11 with 1066 viewsDebsyAngel

Rate your 2019 on 23:53 - Dec 11 by DebsyAngel

What a lovely reply - that has really made my day. I never realised my contributions were calming!

I am still going to the home games, and mostly enjoy them still.

You sound like you have been through a lot worse than me - and I so hope next year will be happy for you. Thank you so much xx

Got to add thank you to all who have wished me better - I am pretty overwhelmed by the lovely messages. I hope you all have the best 2020 ever.
Rate your 2019 on 06:30 - Dec 12 with 1031 viewsBarneycurley

Rate your 2019 on 23:04 - Dec 11 by IPS_wich

Work: Just incredible. Finally made it to the top of my career ladder after 22 years with a great firm and a great team. Nationally as a firm we’ve grown from 200 people when I joined 2.5 years ago to 400, but in Perth we’ve grown from 8 when I joined to 32 in the same period. Been amazing to be one of the three people leading the office and that was rewarded when I was promoted to the top tier in July (one of 22 nationally). Very minor regret from a financial perspective that I chose to step away from the Big 4 when I was one step from making partner, but from a mental health and personal values perspective it was 100% the right decision. Can’t wait for the new year.

Family: Our small little family of four poms down under have had a great year. My wife finally got some recognition at work and is now leading her team. The two kids are loving life and doing really well at school. Family in the UK less good. We almost lost my step-mum but somehow she survived a major illness that she was given a 1 in 10 chance of beating...but she’s in for a couple of years of hard recovery. My mother-in-law has been diagnosed with early onset dementia - which is really hard on us being the other side of the world. Step-brother got divorced but that was a relief for all - even his kids.

Travel: lots of travel across Australia with work - which has been great. 10 days in Singapore in July...what a city, can’t wait to go back. But with a pool and beer fridge in the back yard the need to travel for sun is much less than when we were in the uk.

Health: all good apart from a few too many pounds on the waist from several long business trips!!

Other: as I can stream all Ipswich games it’s been a year or two halves - here hoping 2020 keeps improving. My Aussie Rules team had a rubbish year punctuated with 3-4 great performances, but were a young squad so here’s hoping the next couple of years improve.

Haha poor old Dockers there is a team of "here's to next year" if i ever saw it!

Poll: Last nights obv lling of Evans are him and bluefish ever seen in the same room?

Rate your 2019 on 06:55 - Dec 12 with 1020 viewsIPS_wich

Rate your 2019 on 06:30 - Dec 12 by Barneycurley

Haha poor old Dockers there is a team of "here's to next year" if i ever saw it!

I’ve found that being an Ipswich fan since the mid-80a has meant becoming a Dockers fan has been like slipping on a very comfortable pair of shoes...not sure I could have become an authentic Eagles fan!!
Rate your 2019 on 07:16 - Dec 12 with 1014 viewsDubtractor

Rate your 2019 on 18:17 - Dec 11 by DebsyAngel

Been the worst one of my life.

Started the year with my Dad in and out of hospital after complications and infection from his hip replacement.

I was fairly healthy up to end of March when got a cold that turned into a chest infection, and since then, had nothing but more and more problems. Doctors been hopeless and no medication has helped. They treat me like a hypocondriac and will not even listen about me saying medication and the virus had affected my thyroid.

Got gallstones, anxiety, severe depression (cannot even take antidepressants as not permitted with my eye problem), and they have discovered an ectopic heartbeat which I cannot be seen about until next year now.

This constocondritis has made my life hell too since May. The pain is so bad that I spend most days crying. Also so breathless and shooting pains down chest.

There were a few highlights - meeting up with friends in a Facebook group I am in, in London and Manchester, the odd day trip out, buying more records to add to my collection, and the few gigs been to been superb (Midge Ure, OMD, heaven 17 and Squeeze). It was great to meet Midge Ure too.

Not really looking forward to Xmas and for the first time in years not feeling that festive which really saddens me as I normally love it.

Sounds like a tough year. Here's to an improved 2020.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Rate your 2019 on 07:33 - Dec 12 with 995 viewsBrixtonBlue

Work: Consistently working most of the time, and freelance so good money. Met lots of good people and made a TV ad which was directed by Sir Ridley Scott's son and is airing all over America right now! Also, sort of work but more pleasure, I've completed the first draft of my book on giving up alcohol for a year. Editing now, when I get the chance. Oh and sold my first painting, for 50 quid.

Family: Dad had a cancer scare but caught it very early and seems to be clear for now. Also gained a new family after meeting my girlfriend in January! They're Irish so always up for the craic! Things have gone great with her and we're looking to move in together in the new year.

Travel: Couple of holidays with the new GF, including trip to Scotland for the most remote beer in the UK (as recommended by Stokie_Blue, so thanks again for that!) Then flew to New York on my own and without alcohol (which was a big step) to spend a week with the missus who was working over there, plus more recently a weekend away airbnb-ing a cottage in the New Forest. All amazing experiences.

Health: Completed a year without booze in Feb and continuing to have a personal trainer + cycle to work, so pretty tip top there.

Overall, a pretty amazing 9/10 year.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Rate your 2019 on 07:49 - Dec 12 with 991 viewsBrixtonBlue

Rate your 2019 on 19:26 - Dec 11 by monytowbray

Sh1t sh1t and sh1t and I’m amazed I didn’t fcuk myself off the planet.

Glad you didn't. Plough all that sh1t into your music. You only live once, might as well try and make a go of it!

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Rate your 2019 on 08:03 - Dec 12 with 986 viewsartsbossbeard

Rate your 2019 on 23:04 - Dec 11 by IPS_wich

Morning!

I'm aware of quite an Ipswich connection over in Perth and there's a few people that I used to go to school with and loosely related to who are now living over there.

Maybe a rude question, but do you socialise with anyone originally from the Ipswich area in Perth?

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.

Rate your 2019 on 08:10 - Dec 12 with 979 viewsBloomBlue

Work - well having retired years ago not a question I can answer

Family- all doing well. Lost a couple of wonderful friends this year. Next year great granddaughter is getting married

Travel - when you get to my age travel insurance is almost impossible to get and Mrs Bloom's health not great so for the the first time in 20 years we didn't visit family in Mauritius. But we did spend 2 days in Felixstowe

Health - when you get to my age every day you wake up is a victory. Mrs Bloom not well, hope she can keep fighting to see great granddaughter get married. But we all get ill no need to moan about it and nearly all health issues relate to your lifestyle choices. My alcohol intake was always going to come back and catch up on me that was my choice.

However I'm only a few days from completing another year so 10/10
Rate your 2019 on 08:50 - Dec 12 with 960 viewsSaleAway

Work:Decent... promoted in January.. not much further to go - won corporate squash challenge in June, currently top of internal table tennis ladder. Must do some actual work at some point.

Family:Pretty decent - new nephew arrived in May, very cute. Father in law struggling with knees, but finally convinced him to get it sorted in the NY. So fingers crossed that will be a weight off.

Travel: The usual - a lot fo travelling in the UK, with a nice week in Madeira - canyoning and walking, and an amazing week in Croatia, sailing, wakeboarding, and tennis.

Health: Back has recovered enough for me to play squash again, which is awesome... loving being back on court. Haven't had pneumonia this year either, which is a big step up from '18

Overall, another pretty damn fine year.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Rate your 2019 on 09:42 - Dec 12 with 935 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

WORK: Changed Jobs this year, absolutely hate the new one. No enjoyment every day feels like a chore, only been here 12 months so don't want to start looking elsewhere as I feel like I am quitting. The money is very good, but even that isn't spurring me on.

Family: Pretty good thank God. Me and my Girlfriend have been together 5 years now and she is wondering where the ring is, which is terrifying. Moved in to a lovely place together after hovering between flats. Mum and Dad getting on but still lively which is great.

Travel: Not as much as previous years. Been for a few city breaks Barcelona, Amsterdam and Rome.

Health: Normal for a 25 year old I think, I am in shape, but not like fit. Still cant run, but getting by.

Overall: 8/10 -2 for the Job.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Rate your 2019 on 20:15 - Dec 12 with 872 viewsIPS_wich

Rate your 2019 on 08:03 - Dec 12 by artsbossbeard

Morning!

I'm aware of quite an Ipswich connection over in Perth and there's a few people that I used to go to school with and loosely related to who are now living over there.

Maybe a rude question, but do you socialise with anyone originally from the Ipswich area in Perth?

Not a rude question. There are a lot of Brits in Perth - the population has just gone past 2 million and at the last census 165,000 of Perth folks were actually born in the UK - so direct immigrants; but even more startling is that 40% (almost a million) of the population are either born in the uk or have at least one parent born in the uk. We moved here when I was in my late-30s and with two young kids. My 15 year old boy is still pretty British and has kept his British accent, my 10 year old daughter (who was 3 when we moved here) has a full on Aussie accent.

I know one person born in Ipswich but who moved away when he was 4, a second person who lived in Ipswich for 4-5 years in their 20s (worked for BT in martlesham) and a third who was born in Perth but whose mum is from Ipswich. That said, we don’t live or socialise in either of the two big British ghettos (Hillarys and Baldivis) - which are frankly just Aussie versions of Little Britain - so the majority of our friends are Australian born.
Rate your 2019 on 16:31 - Dec 13 with 833 viewsartsbossbeard

Rate your 2019 on 20:15 - Dec 12 by IPS_wich

Not a rude question. There are a lot of Brits in Perth - the population has just gone past 2 million and at the last census 165,000 of Perth folks were actually born in the UK - so direct immigrants; but even more startling is that 40% (almost a million) of the population are either born in the uk or have at least one parent born in the uk. We moved here when I was in my late-30s and with two young kids. My 15 year old boy is still pretty British and has kept his British accent, my 10 year old daughter (who was 3 when we moved here) has a full on Aussie accent.

I know one person born in Ipswich but who moved away when he was 4, a second person who lived in Ipswich for 4-5 years in their 20s (worked for BT in martlesham) and a third who was born in Perth but whose mum is from Ipswich. That said, we don’t live or socialise in either of the two big British ghettos (Hillarys and Baldivis) - which are frankly just Aussie versions of Little Britain - so the majority of our friends are Australian born.

Cheers for the reply!

I've got a mate in Perth who posts pictures of his family and other Ipswich born fellas around his house on match day with Town shirts on and a Barbie on the go.

Got a relation over in Perth too but he's much like you I reckon and sticks with his aussie mates.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024