Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. 10:02 - Dec 11 with 4534 viewsjasondozzell

I don't normally post on anything other than the football (are we ever going to have an FA cup run again?), but I feel so strongly about this.

I am 34. I have a season ticket and up until recently went to as many away games as I could get to. I was excited about this season even though it's been a shock to find ourselves in League 1. The first half against Sunderland was especially promising. I went to Burton away and Posh. The only problem was I had begun to notice I was a bit breathless when celebrating goals and that I wasn't feeling very well at times. I went to the doctor and was referred to the hospital.

At the beginning of September I was told I had cancer. I had to wait 4 weeks from the day that I was told I had a cancerous tumour until the appointment when I saw the consultant who would tell me if it was treatable or not. That's not because they didn't do the scan - they did that almost straight away - but because there is a national shortage of radiologists in this country to read scans. They can't process the scans quickly enough. As you can imagine those four weeks were really tough.

My cancer was stage 3 but was treatable. I am undergoing chemotherapy now. I've been quite ill but I'm still going to home games when I can - they mean even more now. I wish I could go to away games like I used to but I'm not well enough at the moment.

The NHS staff, all of them from the receptionists to the consultants, have been brilliant. I have had amazing care. They have looked after me at every step and continue to do so. But they are under immense pressure. In the chemo lounge the nurses work tirelessly to treat everyone. You can see they are close to breaking point with the amount of people they are treating.

The NHS is one of this country's greatest achievements; perhaps even the greatest. The Tory cuts are putting it in grave danger and I'm terrified of what will happen if we have 5 more years of a Tory government.

Labour will pay the nurses and other staff the wage they deserve. They will reinstate the nursing bursary. They will invest money in new staff and infrastructure. And they won't let it the NHS be sold off or privatised.

It's surely not right that in the fifth richest country in the world someone should have to wait 4 weeks to see a consultant who can tell them if their cancer is treatable after diagnosis.

Please don't vote Tory tomorrow. Please vote Labour and help to save our NHS.

Coyb.
[Post edited 11 Dec 2019 12:23]
Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 11:14 - Dec 11 with 1019 viewsRyorry

So sorry to hear of your illness - all power to your elbow (and any other bits that need it!) in your fight against it.

Obviously 100% agree with you re NHS. However, voting Lab isn't the best option in every constituency to try & kick the Con party out, thereby protecting the NHS - eg in some, where LDs have been historically stronger than Lab in votes cast, a tactical vote for the LDs would have a better chance of reducing the number of Tories in the HoC, & thereby achieving your aim.

All best to you :)

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 11:17 - Dec 11 with 1012 viewsjasondozzell

Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 11:14 - Dec 11 by Ryorry

So sorry to hear of your illness - all power to your elbow (and any other bits that need it!) in your fight against it.

Obviously 100% agree with you re NHS. However, voting Lab isn't the best option in every constituency to try & kick the Con party out, thereby protecting the NHS - eg in some, where LDs have been historically stronger than Lab in votes cast, a tactical vote for the LDs would have a better chance of reducing the number of Tories in the HoC, & thereby achieving your aim.

All best to you :)

Thank you!

And yes, whatever it takes to kick the Tories out!
Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 11:17 - Dec 11 with 1011 viewsjasondozzell

Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 11:06 - Dec 11 by J2BLUE

Already done my friend.

Get well soon.

Thank you!

Coyb (and Lab!)
Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 11:27 - Dec 11 with 1002 viewsitfcpaul

Hope you get the help you need and recover in time for Luke Chambers holding up the League Winners Trophy on the open top bus!!

I wanted to add support to your OP by adding another insight into the NHS and the way it's been hit by Tory Austerity and thst only a vote for Labour can improve the services this vitally important service offers or at least tries to.

I have posted before about my wife's long running battle with mental health issues and the extremely limited and underfunded services which are there to support her. We have been trying to get some help for her to improve her condition for over 4 years now.

the only thing they can offer as her illness is driven by a functional neurological disorder is CBT. she has completed this once but wasn't very successful but we have applied and been assessed again and is now on s waiting list which is about 12 months currently. This is another year of us trying to deal with this illness almost alone!

unfortunately a couple of weeks ago things again escalated and became extremely difficult for her and ended up with her going missing for over 3 hours. she can't go out of the house alone as she has seizures but her depression and MH took over and went for a walk to gets one fresh air and believed she was out for 20 minutes!

the truth was she was out for over 3 hours. she has no recolle room of where she was and for how long. she was asleep at a bus stop we have since found out for half an hour and remembers two street names. apart from thst we have no idea where she was.

we had police out looking for her including police dogs and helicopter as she was deemed to be in danger for obvious reasons!

luckily she did return but only after a king guy she met found her and brought her back to am area she recognised. very lucky she met him and not someone who could have used her vulnerable state to hurt her or take advantage!!

She did return exhausted and in an extreme mess and two weeks later she seems better than she was.
GP dismissed this as her just losing her way and thst as she knew she was going out and knew where she lives then it was OK. getting help an I e that is impossible as there are no services that can help us due to cut backs and limited resources. it's crap but we battle on

So please vote Labour. let's at least try something new other than the Tory Govt cutting back everything like they have been doing

Sorry for taking over the OP thread but I just wanted to add yet another reason to persuade people who weren't already voting Labour to do so. After all you never know who will need the help we need in the near future and I certainly wouldnt want anyone to go through what we have

Thank you

Poll: Who would you want as Ipswich manager in November. there aren't many candidates

Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 11:31 - Dec 11 with 990 viewsBigManBlue

All the best - get well soon mate.

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 11:33 - Dec 11 with 985 viewsjasondozzell

Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 11:27 - Dec 11 by itfcpaul

Hope you get the help you need and recover in time for Luke Chambers holding up the League Winners Trophy on the open top bus!!

I wanted to add support to your OP by adding another insight into the NHS and the way it's been hit by Tory Austerity and thst only a vote for Labour can improve the services this vitally important service offers or at least tries to.

I have posted before about my wife's long running battle with mental health issues and the extremely limited and underfunded services which are there to support her. We have been trying to get some help for her to improve her condition for over 4 years now.

the only thing they can offer as her illness is driven by a functional neurological disorder is CBT. she has completed this once but wasn't very successful but we have applied and been assessed again and is now on s waiting list which is about 12 months currently. This is another year of us trying to deal with this illness almost alone!

unfortunately a couple of weeks ago things again escalated and became extremely difficult for her and ended up with her going missing for over 3 hours. she can't go out of the house alone as she has seizures but her depression and MH took over and went for a walk to gets one fresh air and believed she was out for 20 minutes!

the truth was she was out for over 3 hours. she has no recolle room of where she was and for how long. she was asleep at a bus stop we have since found out for half an hour and remembers two street names. apart from thst we have no idea where she was.

we had police out looking for her including police dogs and helicopter as she was deemed to be in danger for obvious reasons!

luckily she did return but only after a king guy she met found her and brought her back to am area she recognised. very lucky she met him and not someone who could have used her vulnerable state to hurt her or take advantage!!

She did return exhausted and in an extreme mess and two weeks later she seems better than she was.
GP dismissed this as her just losing her way and thst as she knew she was going out and knew where she lives then it was OK. getting help an I e that is impossible as there are no services that can help us due to cut backs and limited resources. it's crap but we battle on

So please vote Labour. let's at least try something new other than the Tory Govt cutting back everything like they have been doing

Sorry for taking over the OP thread but I just wanted to add yet another reason to persuade people who weren't already voting Labour to do so. After all you never know who will need the help we need in the near future and I certainly wouldnt want anyone to go through what we have

Thank you

Thank you!

Great post. Mental health has been cut to the bone under the Tories. Feel very sorry for you and your wife having to go through that. It sounds exhausting and emotionally draining. Let's get the Tories out and invest in our public services. Hope your wife gets the help she needs and that things get better. Keep going!
Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 11:33 - Dec 11 with 983 viewsjasondozzell

Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 11:31 - Dec 11 by BigManBlue

All the best - get well soon mate.

Cheers! Coyb
Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 13:08 - Dec 11 with 945 viewsurbanblue

This is the first political thread I have ever posted on but I want to pass on my best wishes to you for a full recovery.

Take care my friend.
Login to get fewer ads

Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 13:28 - Dec 11 with 934 viewsnoggin

Poty. All the best for a full recovery.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 14:01 - Dec 11 with 919 viewsjasondozzell

Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 13:08 - Dec 11 by urbanblue

This is the first political thread I have ever posted on but I want to pass on my best wishes to you for a full recovery.

Take care my friend.

Thank you! Really appreciate it.

Coyb
Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 14:02 - Dec 11 with 918 viewsjasondozzell

Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 13:28 - Dec 11 by noggin

Poty. All the best for a full recovery.

Cheers! Thank you. Means a lot.

Coyb
Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 14:21 - Dec 11 with 917 viewsITFC_Forever

All the very best to you.

As someone whose brother underwent much of the same treatment a couple of years ago, the care, compassion and professionalism from the NHS was superb.

Also, my wife is a paramedic working for 111, but when she was on the front-line, the cuts were already ravaging the ambulance service, and they continue to do so, leaving front-line staffed over-worked, often finishing over 2 hours late (so working a 14 hour shift instead of 12 hours), and with zero job satisfaction from occupation they love - no wonder they are quitting in droves, leaving those left behind even more stretched, and as we have seen in recent weeks, fatally so.

So having seen first-hand what the NHS do, anything that protects and re-grows it has my backing.
[Post edited 11 Dec 2019 14:49]

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 14:55 - Dec 11 with 898 viewsjasondozzell

Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 14:21 - Dec 11 by ITFC_Forever

All the very best to you.

As someone whose brother underwent much of the same treatment a couple of years ago, the care, compassion and professionalism from the NHS was superb.

Also, my wife is a paramedic working for 111, but when she was on the front-line, the cuts were already ravaging the ambulance service, and they continue to do so, leaving front-line staffed over-worked, often finishing over 2 hours late (so working a 14 hour shift instead of 12 hours), and with zero job satisfaction from occupation they love - no wonder they are quitting in droves, leaving those left behind even more stretched, and as we have seen in recent weeks, fatally so.

So having seen first-hand what the NHS do, anything that protects and re-grows it has my backing.
[Post edited 11 Dec 2019 14:49]

Thank you!

Glad to hear your brother was so well cared for. The staff are brilliant aren't they.
Please thank your wife for the job she has done. It must be so hard to keep going in such circumstances. Let's hope we have a new gov that will reverse these awful cuts!

Coyb
Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 15:46 - Dec 11 with 874 viewsnoggin

Someone has actually down voted this.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 16:06 - Dec 11 with 866 viewsGirthyguy

I will be voting Labour tomorrow not that it makes much difference in central Devon.
Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 16:11 - Dec 11 with 858 viewsjasondozzell

Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 16:06 - Dec 11 by Girthyguy

I will be voting Labour tomorrow not that it makes much difference in central Devon.

Doesn't matter - stick to your principles!
Coyb
Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 16:12 - Dec 11 with 858 viewsusm

All the best with the treatment.

One thing to be aware of though - there will never be enough money available to "properly" fund the NHS. It is reliant on the economy, as are many things, and if we make a mess of the economy, we will make an awful mess of the NHS.

Which of the two main parties will mess up the economy most is up to you to decide, but I know who my money's on.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 16:16 - Dec 11 with 853 viewsjasondozzell

Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 16:12 - Dec 11 by usm

All the best with the treatment.

One thing to be aware of though - there will never be enough money available to "properly" fund the NHS. It is reliant on the economy, as are many things, and if we make a mess of the economy, we will make an awful mess of the NHS.

Which of the two main parties will mess up the economy most is up to you to decide, but I know who my money's on.

Thank you! Appreciate it.

If we managed to fund it properly in 1945 amidst rationing we can fund it now. It just depends on our priorities.
Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 16:17 - Dec 11 with 849 viewsjasondozzell

Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 15:46 - Dec 11 by noggin

Someone has actually down voted this.

Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 16:24 - Dec 11 with 837 viewsPhilTWTD

The waiting regarding the scan results must have been awful. Hope you're on the mend and back at away games soon.
Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 16:29 - Dec 11 with 831 viewsZedRodgers

That sounds extremely difficult.

I wish you all the best.

No, not at the moment

Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 16:31 - Dec 11 with 825 viewsjeera

Best wishes fella.

Thank you for sharing that - that's not easy at all.

Hope it goes well and you come back from this stronger than ever.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 16:31 - Dec 11 with 823 viewsclive_baker

Nice post, and I echo your sentiments about the NHS, it's the finest and most precious national institution we have, and we need to give it the love and funding it deserves.

I won't be voting Labour, but I respect your right to do so.

All the best in your recovery, one thing I'm sure we all agree on is cancer is a f***er.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 16:36 - Dec 11 with 817 viewsjasondozzell

Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 16:24 - Dec 11 by PhilTWTD

The waiting regarding the scan results must have been awful. Hope you're on the mend and back at away games soon.

Thanks, Phil! TWTD has helped to keep my going!

Coyb!
Please vote Labour tomorrow. This is why. on 16:42 - Dec 11 with 802 viewsGeoffSentence

Whoops! Accidentally down voted this. I have uppied it as well to keep it in equiliibrium, I only wish I could double uppy to fulfil my original intention.

Best of luck with your treatment. Agree with everything you have said about the NHS.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024