Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Abuse My Step Son received today, report to club? 20:37 - Dec 26 with 7232 viewsChondzoresk

After a poor performance my step son waited at the end of the match to try and get Alan Judge’s shirt. He’s been doing this for some home matches now by holding his Irish Flag up. As an older fan walked past went up to him and aggressively asked him if he was “a member and supporter of the IRA”.

Now my step son is half Irish, but very, very much a Town fan for some years and myself for 40 years.

It wasn’t a political flag just the Irish tricolour with “Judgey, please can I have your shirt” written on it. My son is fuming, as I am. This person also insulted Alan Judge too. (But wasn’t in ear shot at the time.)

Just a quick question. Do we report this to the club?

A massive thank you to Alan Judge for actually bringing his shirt over to him.

Thanks guys!

Abuse My Step Son received today, report to club? on 00:10 - Dec 27 with 682 viewsfooters

Abuse My Step Son received today, report to club? on 00:08 - Dec 27 by factual_blue

The key to using and judging a Wikipedia entry is to assess the supporting references. Most of the ones for that entry are peer-reviewed academic works.

I'd have thought as an Oxford man, you'd understand that sort of thing,

What's your blue in, by the way? Ludo?

Brookes, presumably...

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Abuse My Step Son received today, report to club? on 00:12 - Dec 27 with 682 viewsjeera

Abuse My Step Son received today, report to club? on 00:08 - Dec 27 by factual_blue

The key to using and judging a Wikipedia entry is to assess the supporting references. Most of the ones for that entry are peer-reviewed academic works.

I'd have thought as an Oxford man, you'd understand that sort of thing,

What's your blue in, by the way? Ludo?

I don't know why "'It's only Wiki" is the go-to stance for so many people.

Maybe it makes them feel a bit hip.

Like you say the references are either there or they're not and it's not hard to follow up any info found there.

If some information crops up that needs citing or is not valid then fine, say so, but the site and its concept are fine.
[Post edited 27 Dec 2019 0:16]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Abuse My Step Son received today, report to club? on 00:12 - Dec 27 with 678 viewsTrequartista

Abuse My Step Son received today, report to club? on 23:45 - Dec 26 by footers

?

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Abuse My Step Son received today, report to club? on 00:17 - Dec 27 with 667 viewsfooters

Abuse My Step Son received today, report to club? on 00:12 - Dec 27 by Trequartista

?

I'm not explaining this to you. Just think about it, or have someone else explain.

Abuse My Step Son received today, report to club? on 00:23 - Dec 27 with 651 viewsTrequartista

Abuse My Step Son received today, report to club? on 00:17 - Dec 27 by footers

I'm not explaining this to you. Just think about it, or have someone else explain.

Absolutely incredible.

Abuse My Step Son received today, report to club? on 00:25 - Dec 27 with 649 viewsjeera

Abuse My Step Son received today, report to club? on 00:23 - Dec 27 by Trequartista

Absolutely incredible.

I was called that once.

Mind you that was over 20 years ago.

Abuse My Step Son received today, report to club? on 00:27 - Dec 27 with 643 viewsmos

Abuse My Step Son received today, report to club? on 21:09 - Dec 26 by Swansea_Blue

It’s not racism though (from what we’ve been told). It’s xenophobic, lazy and stupid. Loads of idiots about these days who have problems with anything foreign.

He was subject to abuse solely due to his heritage. That is racism.

I’m sure you would agree that if someone were to give abuse to a Muslim man/woman solely due to their heritage (such as likening them with a terrorist group, similar to what happened with the poster’s son) then that would be a form of racism.

So what is different here?

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum
Poll: How do you think we will finish next season?

Abuse My Step Son received today, report to club? on 00:29 - Dec 27 with 640 viewsjeera

Abuse My Step Son received today, report to club? on 00:27 - Dec 27 by mos

I’m sure you would agree that if someone were to give abuse to a Muslim man/woman solely due to their heritage (such as likening them with a terrorist group, similar to what happened with the poster’s son) then that would be a form of racism.

I have to say I agree with this.

Personal characteristics.

Anything else is just semantics.

Login to get fewer ads

Abuse My Step Son received today, report to club? on 00:29 - Dec 27 with 646 viewsTrequartista

Abuse My Step Son received today, report to club? on 00:25 - Dec 27 by jeera

I was called that once.

Mind you that was over 20 years ago.

Can you see what he/she is going on about? Does he/she think when i say a decade ending in 2020 means it ends on December 31st 2019, or can they literally not be able to count to 10? I'm flabbergasted.
[Post edited 27 Dec 2019 0:29]

Abuse My Step Son received today, report to club? on 00:31 - Dec 27 with 637 viewsBlue_Moses

Saw the banner and thought it was a nice touch for Judge to come over and give him the shirt.
Abuse My Step Son received today, report to club? on 00:31 - Dec 27 with 643 viewsjeera

Abuse My Step Son received today, report to club? on 00:29 - Dec 27 by Trequartista

Can you see what he/she is going on about? Does he/she think when i say a decade ending in 2020 means it ends on December 31st 2019, or can they literally not be able to count to 10? I'm flabbergasted.
[Post edited 27 Dec 2019 0:29]

I genuinely haven't read a word of the squabble.

He's my mate [of sorts] and I don't recall you and I falling out.

I just don't like seeing people I quite like arguing.

And I was thinking about this lass I once used to see when I posted that, not you two herberts.

Abuse My Step Son received today, report to club? on 00:32 - Dec 27 with 639 viewsClareBlue

Developed a bit off topic. The post was that he was asked if he was a member of the IRA, because he had an Irish flag. That is not racist. If it was you are Irish then you must be a member of the IRA then that is racist. Racism as per legal definition does include nationality. There is nothing the club can do about someone asking a stupid question. If all stupid football fans were banned we would have empty stadiums.
Abuse My Step Son received today, report to club? on 00:35 - Dec 27 with 630 viewsjeera

Abuse My Step Son received today, report to club? on 00:32 - Dec 27 by ClareBlue

Developed a bit off topic. The post was that he was asked if he was a member of the IRA, because he had an Irish flag. That is not racist. If it was you are Irish then you must be a member of the IRA then that is racist. Racism as per legal definition does include nationality. There is nothing the club can do about someone asking a stupid question. If all stupid football fans were banned we would have empty stadiums.

Good grief.

Abuse My Step Son received today, report to club? on 00:42 - Dec 27 with 622 viewsmos

Abuse My Step Son received today, report to club? on 00:32 - Dec 27 by ClareBlue

Unfathomable.

I can’t agree with this. You have to consider the context and the manner in which the man spoke to poster’s son.

By the logic you’ve described there, the man is simply a fool and genuinely wants to know whether the poster’s son is a member of the IRA? I don’t think so. Realistically, the man was making a xenophobic comment, likening the boy to a terrorist organisation due to a flag.

I hate to use whataboutery, but what if I asked a Syrian boy at college if he was a member of ISIS? That would be an outrageous and awful thing to say. What’s the difference?

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum
Poll: How do you think we will finish next season?

Abuse My Step Son received today, report to club? on 00:45 - Dec 27 with 620 viewsfooters

Abuse My Step Son received today, report to club? on 00:23 - Dec 27 by Trequartista

Absolutely incredible.

I'll be kind to you, Trekkie, as it is Christmas.

You don't start counting from 1, you start from zero. The first year doesn't start from year 1 (ie 2011), get it?

Abuse My Step Son received today, report to club? on 00:46 - Dec 27 with 615 viewsfooters

Are you from Co. Clare?

Abuse My Step Son received today, report to club? on 00:47 - Dec 27 with 611 viewsjeera

Abuse My Step Son received today, report to club? on 00:42 - Dec 27 by mos

Unfathomable.

I can’t agree with this. You have to consider the context and the manner in which the man spoke to poster’s son.

By the logic you’ve described there, the man is simply a fool and genuinely wants to know whether the poster’s son is a member of the IRA? I don’t think so. Realistically, the man was making a xenophobic comment, likening the boy to a terrorist organisation due to a flag.

I hate to use whataboutery, but what if I asked a Syrian boy at college if he was a member of ISIS? That would be an outrageous and awful thing to say. What’s the difference?

Again I concur and what is more worrying here is that anyone thinks it's a point that needs arguing.

It's unacceptable on any level and is behaviour we should be united against.

Have we learned nothing?

Abuse My Step Son received today, report to club? on 00:47 - Dec 27 with 613 viewsfooters

Abuse My Step Son received today, report to club? on 00:31 - Dec 27 by jeera

I genuinely haven't read a word of the squabble.

He's my mate [of sorts] and I don't recall you and I falling out.

I just don't like seeing people I quite like arguing.

And I was thinking about this lass I once used to see when I posted that, not you two herberts.

We've no real beef, ma dood! Just a simple matter of counting.

Well, that's Die Hard and Rambo done now. Suppose the festive season is over!

Abuse My Step Son received today, report to club? on 00:50 - Dec 27 with 609 viewsClareBlue

Abuse My Step Son received today, report to club? on 00:46 - Dec 27 by footers

Are you from Co. Clare?

No but lived here for 15 years and have a half Irish son who attends loads of matches and two other half Irish children. Never taken a flag to PR though.
Abuse My Step Son received today, report to club? on 00:59 - Dec 27 with 605 viewsTrequartista

Abuse My Step Son received today, report to club? on 00:45 - Dec 27 by footers

I'll be kind to you, Trekkie, as it is Christmas.

You don't start counting from 1, you start from zero. The first year doesn't start from year 1 (ie 2011), get it?

Oh my you really have misunderstood what i said.

I am well aware of the decade being 2010-2019 (10 years), I was suggesting that a decade could technically be 2011-2020 (also 10 years) if we were to go on the first years A.D. being 1-10 (year zero didn't exist)

Either way it is 10 years, not 9.

I'm not sure I will be so kind to you though as your attack throughout has been patronising at best, which I suppose makes it all the more embarrassing now.

Abuse My Step Son received today, report to club? on 02:22 - Dec 27 with 557 viewsEireannach_gorm

Abuse My Step Son received today, report to club? on 22:28 - Dec 26 by Oxford_Blue

Wikipedia isn’t the best way to respond.

You’re missing the point.

The law recognises we are different races, otherwise there would be no concept of racism or racial abuse. A white Irish person is the same race as a white English person. They are different nationalities.

So a black person born in Ireland is ........

One of the finest Hurlers in Ireland is Lee Chin.
Here he is celebrating with his sister Molly.

Their father is Malaysian Chinese and mother Irish and they were born in Ireland. They are not caucasian.

Your definition of nationality is correct but if you abuse someone on the basis of where they come from you are being racist.

Unfortunately the rise of the Right has made this more common as the racists become embolden and this is a taste of things to come.
Abuse My Step Son received today, report to club? on 08:21 - Dec 27 with 494 viewsPositivelyPortman

I’d like to have seen this tw@t ask that question and Alan Hunter was within earshot.

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

Abuse My Step Son received today, report to club? on 09:06 - Dec 27 with 462 viewsSwansea_Blue

Abuse My Step Son received today, report to club? on 00:27 - Dec 27 by mos

Solely due to holding a national flag, as I’m assuming his heritage wasn’t known by the Neanderthal.

But it seems like it is indeed racist as determined by the Equalities Act. Scientifically nationality doesn’t equate to race, but given the circumstances of the OP the Equalities Act is probably the one to go with. I’m surprised it’s defined so broadly in the Act, but then again it probably needs to be.

So yeah, I’d now agree on this one. (Although worth pointing out that definitions of race vary, which is why there’s been such a ding dong on here).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Abuse My Step Son received today, report to club? on 09:44 - Dec 27 with 439 viewseireblue

Abuse My Step Son received today, report to club? on 23:40 - Dec 26 by Trequartista

I haven't misread it at all, it is how you wrote it.

Why on earth should you apologize for saying Brits? Absolute madness.

I just don't get all this rage from the far left about racism. Yes there are people who dispute racism because they are racist - i get that. But there are plenty of people like myself who abhor racism in its most evil forms, but find that ...

a) expanding the same word to such great breadth dilutes its power, people will tire of the nastier aspects of racism when the same word is applied on a such a grand scale, which leads to b) the application of "racism" to such a wide scale invariably leads to a huge swathe of unsuspecting people being "racists", with the far left screaming just don't be racist then at them, with no debate, they are just shut down and cancelled.

I didn’t write it. It is a dictionary definition.

You have misunderstood it.

Rage and far left are your assumptions.

You still don’t get the basic point, it is the subject of a remark that gets to decide what is un-acceptable.

You are correct, people don’t like being called racist.

There is a simple solution to that.
[Post edited 27 Dec 2019 9:57]
Abuse My Step Son received today, report to club? on 09:51 - Dec 27 with 426 viewsPippin1970

Doesnt matter where we all come from , religion or race we should all be supporting the football team as one. If you have nothing nice to say keep it to yourself. That guy obviously didn't.
[Post edited 27 Dec 2019 9:52]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024