Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Evans 21:08 - Jan 4 with 3024 viewsblueislander

Anyone care to speculate where we might be if he hadn’t bought the club?
Evans on 21:08 - Jan 4 with 3011 viewsJ2BLUE

Roughly the same place?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Evans on 21:10 - Jan 4 with 2998 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Evans on 21:08 - Jan 4 by J2BLUE

Roughly the same place?

Or same place as Bury, or same place as Sheffield United, or anywhere really.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Evans on 21:22 - Jan 4 with 2945 viewsblueislander

Evans on 21:10 - Jan 4 by Nthsuffolkblue

By what means would we be in the Premier League. ? I suppose that is possible if a billionaire had bought us out of administration. Bit unlikely though.
Evans on 21:26 - Jan 4 with 2927 viewsPJH

Evans on 21:22 - Jan 4 by blueislander

By what means would we be in the Premier League. ? I suppose that is possible if a billionaire had bought us out of administration. Bit unlikely though.

At the time that Marcus Evans took over it was still just about possible to "buy" promotion.
That is what he thought that he was doing and it is what I and a lot of others thought we were doing.

In fact I remember leaving the EGM that approved his takeover and phoning my son to say "we have just bought promotion"-obviously not correct as it turned out but it seemed to me that we had.
Evans on 21:44 - Jan 4 with 2874 viewsblueislander

Evans on 21:26 - Jan 4 by PJH

At the time that Marcus Evans took over it was still just about possible to "buy" promotion.
That is what he thought that he was doing and it is what I and a lot of others thought we were doing.

In fact I remember leaving the EGM that approved his takeover and phoning my son to say "we have just bought promotion"-obviously not correct as it turned out but it seemed to me that we had.

Absolutely right. I remember being in the Antigallatican just after he bought the club, and the fans were singing “we’re f-cking loaded”
But you haven’t offered an opinion as to where we might be had he not bought the club.
Imo he made mistakes in his appointments of managers, although, allegedly he did have football savvy advisors. People criticise his unwillingness to invest more, and that may have brought better results, but who are we to spend other people’s money?
Evans on 21:49 - Jan 4 with 2850 viewsJ2BLUE

Evans on 21:10 - Jan 4 by Nthsuffolkblue

I don't think we'd be a Bury. Someone else would likely have bought us as Evans wasn't the only one who wanted to buy us. We might be in a worse situation but frankly it's hard to imagine right now. It seems our natural level gets lower and lower by the year. Arguably our natural level is now top 8 in league one. Can anyone see us competing if we managed to go back up or would it be another season like last season as we go back down?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Evans on 21:53 - Jan 4 with 2826 viewsTheBoyBlue

Don't know. But if he'd made better decisions, spent just a fraction more (not tens of millions extra, but just a decent amount to get the right player, such as enough to ensure we got Charlie Austin for example) and we would probably have got promotion to the PL.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

Evans on 21:55 - Jan 4 with 2818 viewsPJH

Evans on 21:44 - Jan 4 by blueislander

Absolutely right. I remember being in the Antigallatican just after he bought the club, and the fans were singing “we’re f-cking loaded”
But you haven’t offered an opinion as to where we might be had he not bought the club.
Imo he made mistakes in his appointments of managers, although, allegedly he did have football savvy advisors. People criticise his unwillingness to invest more, and that may have brought better results, but who are we to spend other people’s money?

No I haven't offered an opinion because my post was just answering yours which was asking by what means we could have made the Premier League.

I don't know where we would have been without him, either bankrupt or owned by somebody else I suppose.

I laugh at most of the attacks on him, as you say "who are we to spend other people's money?"
Login to get fewer ads

Evans on 21:59 - Jan 4 with 2795 viewsChurchman

We were in a similar position to Leicester when Evans pitched up. They got people who engaged with the city, wanted to develop the club and the rest is history. Wolves? A basket case not so long ago. Charlton: a basket case until a few months ago. So a positive outcome was possible.

But Sheepshanks presumably wanted to protect his money and business interests, so he flogged the club as soon as he possibly could and clearly wasn’t too fussed who it went to. So we got flip-a-quid Evans and the rest really is history. He is a marginally less toxic version of the clowns who wrecked Portsmouth, Blackpool, Bolton and Coventry - and even 2 of those are in a better state than ITFC are.
Evans on 21:59 - Jan 4 with 2794 viewsHARRY10

Were the scum in a better position than us when he took over ?

He appointed Keane as they were being relegated to LI.

How the feck did they do what they have done over the past decade and likewise with us ? If anything we have the wealthy owner, yet they seem to pick themselves up each time they are knocked down (relegated) and bounce back again.

All we've had is being fed endless promises, plans and false dawns. Maybe Lambert is part of a longer term plan to turn the club around rather than a quick fix to get us out of LI - but not winning in any of our last 15 games (all comps) rather suggests the overhaul is going to need all of his extended contract ro complete.

As far as I can see, it has been a wasted 12 years under Evans direction.
Evans on 22:02 - Jan 4 with 2783 viewsPJH

Evans on 21:59 - Jan 4 by HARRY10

Were the scum in a better position than us when he took over ?

He appointed Keane as they were being relegated to LI.

How the feck did they do what they have done over the past decade and likewise with us ? If anything we have the wealthy owner, yet they seem to pick themselves up each time they are knocked down (relegated) and bounce back again.

All we've had is being fed endless promises, plans and false dawns. Maybe Lambert is part of a longer term plan to turn the club around rather than a quick fix to get us out of LI - but not winning in any of our last 15 games (all comps) rather suggests the overhaul is going to need all of his extended contract ro complete.

As far as I can see, it has been a wasted 12 years under Evans direction.

All I am saying and will continue to say is that when he took over I believed that we had got it made and getting into the top division was close to being a formality-I think a lot of people believed that including Marcus Evans.
Evans on 22:05 - Jan 4 with 2763 viewsBackToRussia

It would be hard to have done much worse than Evans has.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Evans on 22:05 - Jan 4 with 2760 viewshaynes_toe1

We wouldnt have needed a billionaire to get into the premier league.

Plenty of teams promoted in the past decade not owned by the mega rich
Evans on 22:13 - Jan 4 with 2732 viewsblueislander

Evans on 22:05 - Jan 4 by haynes_toe1

We wouldnt have needed a billionaire to get into the premier league.

Plenty of teams promoted in the past decade not owned by the mega rich

Which of those would have been in administration when their current owners bought them. ? Of the owners of those successful clubs all of them have hugely rich owners, apart perhaps, and most painfully, Scum.
Evans on 09:28 - Jan 5 with 2625 viewsRegencyBlue

People keep saying where would we be without Evans to which the obvious answer is where are we going to end up with him?

More than a decade of relentless decline and no real sign of it ending surely shows that whatever Evans is up to, and despite all the theories on this board I don’t think any of us really know what that is, it’s not working for the club and it’s supporters.
Evans on 09:51 - Jan 5 with 2584 viewsElephantintheRoom

Impossible to answer - but surely it would be impossible to think of a worse owner than one reviled across the sports and entertainment industry who uses offshore status to hasten the demise of the country whilst virtually ignoring the club he bought on a whim via FAX?

I think the answer can be seen close to home. Norwich have so far kept their identity and integrity - against the odds maybe... Cambridge and Luton have suffered somewhat by being asset stripped.

Were Luton a non-league club when 'Evans' took over? I think they are a good yardstick to measure the appalling effect that Evans has had on the club, its integrity and standing.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Evans on 13:26 - Jan 5 with 2513 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Evans on 22:05 - Jan 4 by BackToRussia

It would be hard to have done much worse than Evans has.

And i think this thinking is a big part of the problem and the toxic atmosphere. The reality is it would have very easily been much much worse without Evans. We were in big trouble and we're not a hugely attractive buy. I think Evans prolonged the inevitable. He's not a bad man or a bad owner. He's just not rich enough (or prepared to throw away the millions of pounds a year it would take to challenge).

He's made mistakes.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

Evans on 14:05 - Jan 5 with 2476 viewsOxford_Blue

You’re right.

The club had come 7th the year before with no money.

It wasn’t a wild dream to think that with about £12m plus the absence of owing debt to third parties, we would go up.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024