Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hold Up! 20:46 - Jan 23 with 6148 viewsGeoffSentence

I thought El Miz was too close to first team action to let go on loan. What's changed?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Hold Up! on 20:55 - Jan 23 with 4235 viewsDarth_Koont

Yes, I'm a bit concerned by that too.

I can definitely see how he'll benefit from playing more. But I think he's the type of player that we should try to use to attack this division.

Also, and I know this is secondary to getting promoted, but I really wanted to see us develop a team down here that could take us forward over the next few seasons. El Mizouni is one of our best youngsters - or is he already seen as surplus in League One?

The other question remains: Will we at least give Dobra more playing time?

Pronouns: He/Him

Hold Up! on 20:57 - Jan 23 with 4222 viewsSuperfrans

To be fair, we’re on a good run, settled team, Huws coming into his own, other injured players coming back. He’s a long way from the first team atm.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Hold Up! on 21:08 - Jan 23 with 4183 viewsDarth_Koont

Hold Up! on 20:57 - Jan 23 by Superfrans

To be fair, we’re on a good run, settled team, Huws coming into his own, other injured players coming back. He’s a long way from the first team atm.

To be fair, he could be playing in the current formation instead of Judge and he'd do well.

Nothing against Judge himself but unless he really leads the way and helps us win games then we should be playing Bishop or the youngsters behind him from the bench.

BTW I love Judge's energy, attitude and ambition. He's also been unlucky with a few things he's tried. I'm just not convinced he makes us a better team overall.

Hold Up! on 21:17 - Jan 23 with 4169 viewsPhilTWTD

I think Bish coming back has reduced the likelihood of Idris playing this season. PL seemed a bit unsure and weighing-up whether to let him move on loan at last week's presser even though he initially said he was less likely to.
Hold Up! on 21:20 - Jan 23 with 4132 viewsclive_baker

Bishop coming back into the fold is probably a factor, Huws proving he’s up to 3 games in a week, plus our other options remaining fit.

Nolan, Dozzell, Downes, Bishop, Huws, Skuse, Judge is ample cover considering we’re playing a midfield 3, plus Dobra in there as an option.

Personally I think it’s encouraging in the respect of keeping hold of our senior players. If there was doubt over Downes still being here beyond Jan I don’t think we would’ve let Idris go.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Hold Up! on 21:22 - Jan 23 with 4131 viewsDubtractor

Hold Up! on 21:20 - Jan 23 by clive_baker

Bishop coming back into the fold is probably a factor, Huws proving he’s up to 3 games in a week, plus our other options remaining fit.

Nolan, Dozzell, Downes, Bishop, Huws, Skuse, Judge is ample cover considering we’re playing a midfield 3, plus Dobra in there as an option.

Personally I think it’s encouraging in the respect of keeping hold of our senior players. If there was doubt over Downes still being here beyond Jan I don’t think we would’ve let Idris go.

Yep. Agree with that.

The fact that El Mizouni has barely played for us in the last few months makes me think that both him and us will benefit from him getting some more competitive game time.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Hold Up! on 21:25 - Jan 23 with 4122 viewsChrisd

Hold Up! on 21:17 - Jan 23 by PhilTWTD

I think Bish coming back has reduced the likelihood of Idris playing this season. PL seemed a bit unsure and weighing-up whether to let him move on loan at last week's presser even though he initially said he was less likely to.

It’s the right decision Phil, he’s going to learn nothing sitting on our bench, he needs to be playing regular first team football.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Hold Up! on 21:30 - Jan 23 with 4082 viewsChrisd

Hold Up! on 20:55 - Jan 23 by Darth_Koont

Yes, I'm a bit concerned by that too.

I can definitely see how he'll benefit from playing more. But I think he's the type of player that we should try to use to attack this division.

Also, and I know this is secondary to getting promoted, but I really wanted to see us develop a team down here that could take us forward over the next few seasons. El Mizouni is one of our best youngsters - or is he already seen as surplus in League One?

The other question remains: Will we at least give Dobra more playing time?

Where’s Dobra playing in our current formation? He’s another that needs a loan out. He’s not done anything really, it’s just potential. He needs to get regular first team football to see what he can actually do.

Login to get fewer ads

Hold Up! on 21:30 - Jan 23 with 4078 viewsHerbivore

He's not had any minutes in the league in months to be fair and he needs game time. Huws now being fit and Bishop coming back makes it even less likely he'll get minutes here this season.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Hold Up! on 21:57 - Jan 23 with 3995 viewsDarth_Koont

Hold Up! on 21:30 - Jan 23 by Chrisd

Where’s Dobra playing in our current formation? He’s another that needs a loan out. He’s not done anything really, it’s just potential. He needs to get regular first team football to see what he can actually do.

I'd put him in Judge's position behind the strikers. Or as part of a three-man attack when we inevitably go to a 433.

I'm not demanding they start with Bishop and Judge around but they should be used from the bench.

Basically, I'm worried that we're blowing this season in terms of getting promoted and at the same time developing a competitive Championship side. I just think we could be seeing our young players develop and get comfortable as part of a winning team. If there's any long-term benefit to be gained from going through relegation then that's it.

Hold Up! on 22:05 - Jan 23 with 3962 viewsHerbivore

Hold Up! on 21:30 - Jan 23 by Chrisd

The games Dobra has played he's had an impact. He's scored a couple and set a few up in the cup games he's featured in. In the league he only had the one appearance at Accrington. I think he's been unlucky not to have had more opportunities.

Hold Up! on 22:29 - Jan 23 with 3877 viewsSuperfrans

Hold Up! on 21:08 - Jan 23 by Darth_Koont

To be fair, he could be playing in the current formation instead of Judge and he'd do well.

Nothing against Judge himself but unless he really leads the way and helps us win games then we should be playing Bishop or the youngsters behind him from the bench.

BTW I love Judge's energy, attitude and ambition. He's also been unlucky with a few things he's tried. I'm just not convinced he makes us a better team overall.

Bishop, Nolan, Keane would all be ahead of him to replace Judge. He’s just too far away to get much game time. A loan is good for him and us.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Hold Up! on 22:32 - Jan 23 with 3857 viewsBluefish

That was said about Dozzell 2years ago and it has set his career back miles

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Hold Up! on 22:44 - Jan 23 with 3833 viewsDarth_Koont

Hold Up! on 22:29 - Jan 23 by Superfrans

Bishop, Nolan, Keane would all be ahead of him to replace Judge. He’s just too far away to get much game time. A loan is good for him and us.

You're probably right. And my concerns are marginal.

Overall though, it's me wishing we'd come on further and sooner this season with our team and our younger players.

Hold Up! on 23:02 - Jan 23 with 3775 viewscatch74

Hold Up! on 22:32 - Jan 23 by Bluefish

And look at Downes and Woolfenden.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Hold Up! on 06:33 - Jan 24 with 3588 viewsChrisd

Hold Up! on 22:05 - Jan 23 by Herbivore

The games Dobra has played he's had an impact. He's scored a couple and set a few up in the cup games he's featured in. In the league he only had the one appearance at Accrington. I think he's been unlucky not to have had more opportunities.

The EFL trophy games with teams putting out weakened sides or EPL teams playing their U21s? The Accrington game wasn’t really an indicator, that was a dreadful display from the whole side, it wouldn’t take much to stand out from that performance. Dobra clearly has potential I’m not disputing that, but he needs to be playing in a first team to genuinely show his credentials and prove himself. It’s a lot tougher doing it week in, week out with expectation on your shoulders instead of the odd cup appearance. He needs that challenge, so a loan like El Mizouni’s would be ideal for him as part of his development.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2020 7:08]

Hold Up! on 06:42 - Jan 24 with 3575 viewsChrisd

Hold Up! on 21:57 - Jan 23 by Darth_Koont

I'd put him in Judge's position behind the strikers. Or as part of a three-man attack when we inevitably go to a 433.

I'm not demanding they start with Bishop and Judge around but they should be used from the bench.

Basically, I'm worried that we're blowing this season in terms of getting promoted and at the same time developing a competitive Championship side. I just think we could be seeing our young players develop and get comfortable as part of a winning team. If there's any long-term benefit to be gained from going through relegation then that's it.

I agree Darth Koont, that No.10 role does seem his best position, but both Bishop and Judge are better players than him currently. Our aim is to get promoted this season, who is PL going to put his faith in, experienced players or an Academy player largely unproven? El Mizouni is only just starting out on his playing career, not playing regularly in our first team isn’t going to help his progress. This loan move to Cambridge United is ideal for him IMO and makes sense, playing first team football in a competitive league is exactly what he needs, right now. It’s no benefit for him getting the odd cameo from our bench over the next 5 months. How is that going to help him improve? It’s looking at the long game how this move will help the player and our club long term.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2020 6:43]

Hold Up! on 07:05 - Jan 24 with 3529 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Hold Up! on 22:32 - Jan 23 by Bluefish

I do think a loan would have benefitted Dozzell, but would suggest that rupturing his ligaments against Birmingham set his career back much further than not getting a loan

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Hold Up! on 07:09 - Jan 24 with 3522 viewsBluefish

Hold Up! on 07:05 - Jan 24 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I do think a loan would have benefitted Dozzell, but would suggest that rupturing his ligaments against Birmingham set his career back much further than not getting a loan

Exactly why he should have been loaned after, he had been set back miles and needed to be able to build himself back up away from PR. He still needs a loan move

Hold Up! on 07:22 - Jan 24 with 3484 viewsHerbivore

Hold Up! on 06:33 - Jan 24 by Chrisd

The EFL trophy games with teams putting out weakened sides or EPL teams playing their U21s? The Accrington game wasn’t really an indicator, that was a dreadful display from the whole side, it wouldn’t take much to stand out from that performance. Dobra clearly has potential I’m not disputing that, but he needs to be playing in a first team to genuinely show his credentials and prove himself. It’s a lot tougher doing it week in, week out with expectation on your shoulders instead of the odd cup appearance. He needs that challenge, so a loan like El Mizouni’s would be ideal for him as part of his development.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2020 7:08]

All he can do is shine when given a chance and in those EFL Trophy games he shone, even playing alongside experienced players like Keane and Huws, he looked a quality player. If we aren't going to give our youngsters a chance when they perform very well when given chances then we may as well pack up and go home. For all the talk from Lambert about us having a really young side, the only young players that get much gametime are Downes and Woolfy.

Hold Up! on 07:29 - Jan 24 with 3470 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Hold Up! on 07:09 - Jan 24 by Bluefish

Exactly why he should have been loaned after, he had been set back miles and needed to be able to build himself back up away from PR. He still needs a loan move

Agree, but it’s the injury that set him back miles not the lack of a loan last year

He did also play 22 times for us last season

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Hold Up! on 07:35 - Jan 24 with 3456 viewsBluefish

Hold Up! on 07:29 - Jan 24 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Agree, but it’s the injury that set him back miles not the lack of a loan last year

It has set him back in terms of him getting his career back on track after a serious injury.if you wish to be pedantic

Hold Up! on 07:36 - Jan 24 with 3447 viewsPhilTWTD

Hold Up! on 21:25 - Jan 23 by Chrisd

It’s the right decision Phil, he’s going to learn nothing sitting on our bench, he needs to be playing regular first team football.

Definitely, think it's ideal for him.
Hold Up! on 07:38 - Jan 24 with 3440 viewsKeaneish

Hold Up! on 07:29 - Jan 24 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

They likely wanted to keep a closer eye on his recovery and nurture him with better facilities and a sport science / physio team here. No doubt he’d get better monitoring here than at a lower league club.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2020 7:57]

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Hold Up! on 07:44 - Jan 24 with 3422 viewsChrisd

Hold Up! on 07:22 - Jan 24 by Herbivore

All he can do is shine when given a chance and in those EFL Trophy games he shone, even playing alongside experienced players like Keane and Huws, he looked a quality player. If we aren't going to give our youngsters a chance when they perform very well when given chances then we may as well pack up and go home. For all the talk from Lambert about us having a really young side, the only young players that get much gametime are Downes and Woolfy.

In our current system, he isn't playing and doesn't fit in. So, get him out playing somewhere where he will. He's 18 years old and he is still developing mentally and physically, time is very much on his side, but he hasn't played hardly any first team football and that's what he needs to do next. Learn what it feels like to be playing in a first team, then see what develops. There are plenty of young players like him in Academies across the country that have potential, he now needs to take that next step.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024