Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The dictator in No.10 09:49 - Feb 4 with 12758 viewsNo9

Sorry if this has already been posted, it should concern all, that the Johnson regime is not only refusing to appear of cetain broadcasting programmes but, now seeks to control the printed press as well (not that, that is something new for the tories) how dangerous is this?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-brexit-news-journal

What else are they planning for justice & the judiciary after the Ball- V- Johnson stitch up?

Someone a few weeks ago posted thatwe are en route to becoming a fascist state - this goes to show that poster was not wrong.
The dictator in No.10 on 13:15 - Feb 4 with 2426 viewslowhouseblue

The dictator in No.10 on 12:59 - Feb 4 by monytowbray

You’ll be one of the first asking how such a thing happened when we do reach peak fascism. And I’m sure a few will be there to remind you you were warned over and over but ignored it in favour of attacking the messenger.

Your moral compass is utterly bizarre.

while we are very lucky to have your fascist spotting service, in terms of 'peak fascism' I fear you may have peaked too soon. premature fascism syndrome perhaps.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

The dictator in No.10 on 13:27 - Feb 4 with 2397 viewsHARRY10

The dictator in No.10 on 12:29 - Feb 4 by flimflam

Probably but also probably do not care as all they want is an exclusive. Its what they thrive on.

You really think they care about other rags and their reporters. Its one of the most cut throat industries going.

The only reason they agreed to leave is because they were all in the same room so no place to hide.

Not saying its right having selective press present but to say they give a hoot about anyone else fighting for the same headline stories then I strongly disagree.

Utter nonsense.

Of course they care as they know full well that they credibility would be brought into question if they are seen to be a government mouthpiece.

And to 'grab a headline' would mean to expose that they were there when others weren't

And it should be borne in mind that this was a government presentation, not a political one. If your local Tory party wants to decide who shall attend a presntation that is their choice. But if it is the local council then as public servants they do not have that choice.

Unsurprisingly the 'usual suspects' don't seem to grasp the difference.
The dictator in No.10 on 13:34 - Feb 4 with 2375 viewsBlueNomad

The dictator in No.10 on 12:31 - Feb 4 by lowhouseblue

fascist just means 'something I disagree with'. as in:

awarding that penalty was a bit fascist
continuing to play will norris is totally fascist
boris johnson is turning the british state all fascist.

Johnson is continuing to use fascist tactics as employed by this miserable crew for several years - we have already had denigration (immigrants, public sector employees) creating an "enemy" (EU, immigrants, public sector et al), using the media to promulgate lies and finally using censorship (in this case trying to control press access to government).

Oh and trying to circumvent scrutiny, challenge and debate by lying to the Queen.

Is that enough to draw some parallels?
[Post edited 4 Feb 2020 13:36]
The dictator in No.10 on 13:40 - Feb 4 with 2357 viewslowhouseblue

The dictator in No.10 on 13:34 - Feb 4 by BlueNomad

Johnson is continuing to use fascist tactics as employed by this miserable crew for several years - we have already had denigration (immigrants, public sector employees) creating an "enemy" (EU, immigrants, public sector et al), using the media to promulgate lies and finally using censorship (in this case trying to control press access to government).

Oh and trying to circumvent scrutiny, challenge and debate by lying to the Queen.

Is that enough to draw some parallels?
[Post edited 4 Feb 2020 13:36]

but then by that standard every single tory prime minister has used 'fascist tactics'. … oh, I see where you're coming from.

a long list of things you disagree with doesn't make him a fascist. jeez.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

The dictator in No.10 on 13:44 - Feb 4 with 2346 viewsmonytowbray

The dictator in No.10 on 13:40 - Feb 4 by lowhouseblue

but then by that standard every single tory prime minister has used 'fascist tactics'. … oh, I see where you're coming from.

If this were a Corbyn government I imagine you’d be screaming at the top of yout lungs about parallels with fascism right now.

Closet Tory.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

The dictator in No.10 on 13:47 - Feb 4 with 2340 viewslowhouseblue

The dictator in No.10 on 13:44 - Feb 4 by monytowbray

If this were a Corbyn government I imagine you’d be screaming at the top of yout lungs about parallels with fascism right now.

Closet Tory.

remind me is 'tory' worse than 'fascist'? which one indicates your greatest disapproval? or are they just interchangeable insults?

The dictator in No.10 on 13:56 - Feb 4 with 2307 viewsBlueNomad

The dictator in No.10 on 13:40 - Feb 4 by lowhouseblue

There is none so blind as those who will not see. Do you really think that I am looking at it from a partisan lens? I have not said BJ is a fascist, I said he employs the same tactics as fascist regimes.

I don't remember Tory Prime Ministers (going back to at least Heath) who behaved in this way. Examples please?
The dictator in No.10 on 14:00 - Feb 4 with 2299 viewsThe_Last_Baron

The dictator in No.10 on 09:52 - Feb 4 by Swansea_Blue

Horrendous isn't it. The media on this occasion redeemed themselves by all walking out, so that's a little glimmer of hope.

I'm very impressed with the recently democratically elected regime. I expect great things, although he needs to drop the green nonsense.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Login to get fewer ads

The dictator in No.10 on 14:01 - Feb 4 with 2293 viewsBlueNomad

The dictator in No.10 on 14:00 - Feb 4 by The_Last_Baron

I'm very impressed with the recently democratically elected regime. I expect great things, although he needs to drop the green nonsense.

What kept you?
The dictator in No.10 on 14:03 - Feb 4 with 2287 viewsmonytowbray

The dictator in No.10 on 13:47 - Feb 4 by lowhouseblue

remind me is 'tory' worse than 'fascist'? which one indicates your greatest disapproval? or are they just interchangeable insults?

Whatever helps you sleep at night you go ahead and believe it.

The Tories and Fascists are not the same, but they’re certainly starting to take us down that path and enable nationalism. So you pick your side of the fence, but stop getting so arsey when you pile into threads about rather disgusting things with a HOT TAKE and people question where your moral compass sits.

TWTD never forgets…

The dictator in No.10 on 14:07 - Feb 4 with 2275 viewsBlueNomad

The dictator in No.10 on 14:03 - Feb 4 by monytowbray

Whatever helps you sleep at night you go ahead and believe it.

The Tories and Fascists are not the same, but they’re certainly starting to take us down that path and enable nationalism. So you pick your side of the fence, but stop getting so arsey when you pile into threads about rather disgusting things with a HOT TAKE and people question where your moral compass sits.

Boom!
The dictator in No.10 on 14:14 - Feb 4 with 2260 viewstractordownsouth

The dictator in No.10 on 14:00 - Feb 4 by The_Last_Baron

What bits are you impressed with? The banning of certain journalists from briefings, the reported extension of austerity despite previously claiming it had ended, or Priti Patel talking about “ counter terrorism offences?”

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

The dictator in No.10 on 14:22 - Feb 4 with 2251 viewsSwansea_Blue

The dictator in No.10 on 13:13 - Feb 4 by hampstead_blue

turning-up to make sure the other journalists didn't go in.

Maybe they did create a whatsup group and stage it, who knows. Did they have their own presser stating their own reasons?

Maybe it was solidarity, maybe it wasn't. Who knows until they tell us.

Amazing. So this is being explained away as the Boris-supporting press plotting to make the government look bad, simply for partisan reasons.

It’s this attitude that will enable the government to control the narrative through manipulation of the press. A free and independent press is essential to a healthy, functioning democracy. Can you not see that? It’s far from the first time the government have pulled a fast one to avoid scrutiny. It should be ringing alarm bells for all of us.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The dictator in No.10 on 14:29 - Feb 4 with 2230 viewshampstead_blue

The dictator in No.10 on 14:22 - Feb 4 by Swansea_Blue

Amazing. So this is being explained away as the Boris-supporting press plotting to make the government look bad, simply for partisan reasons.

It’s this attitude that will enable the government to control the narrative through manipulation of the press. A free and independent press is essential to a healthy, functioning democracy. Can you not see that? It’s far from the first time the government have pulled a fast one to avoid scrutiny. It should be ringing alarm bells for all of us.

Not sure I agree with your interpretation of the post

I'm not condoning Boris but asking a question.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

The dictator in No.10 on 14:34 - Feb 4 with 2225 viewsBlueNomad

The dictator in No.10 on 14:14 - Feb 4 by tractordownsouth

What bits are you impressed with? The banning of certain journalists from briefings, the reported extension of austerity despite previously claiming it had ended, or Priti Patel talking about “ counter terrorism offences?”

As a result of people liking the slogan "Get Brexit Done" we are all about to get done! The cheerleaders on here for BJ's shower will be hurt like the rest of us.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2020 9:18]
The dictator in No.10 on 15:24 - Feb 4 with 2186 viewsEnigma_Blue

The dictator in No.10 on 12:59 - Feb 4 by monytowbray

You’ll be one of the first asking how such a thing happened when we do reach peak fascism. And I’m sure a few will be there to remind you you were warned over and over but ignored it in favour of attacking the messenger.

Your moral compass is utterly bizarre.

Any idea on the time frame for when we do reach peak fascism? Will you be making plans to Emigrate?
The dictator in No.10 on 15:32 - Feb 4 with 2175 viewsmonytowbray

The dictator in No.10 on 15:24 - Feb 4 by Enigma_Blue

Any idea on the time frame for when we do reach peak fascism? Will you be making plans to Emigrate?

M I S S I N G T H E P O I N T

TWTD never forgets…

The dictator in No.10 on 15:55 - Feb 4 with 2150 viewsm14_blue

The dictator in No.10 on 12:31 - Feb 4 by lowhouseblue

fascist just means 'something I disagree with'. as in:

awarding that penalty was a bit fascist
continuing to play will norris is totally fascist
boris johnson is turning the british state all fascist.

What do you think of the Government’s actions? Incredibly worrying isn’t it?

Wouldn’t you say that’s the bigger issue than a poster on TWTD using language that you find hyperbolic?
The dictator in No.10 on 15:55 - Feb 4 with 2151 viewsEnigma_Blue

The dictator in No.10 on 15:32 - Feb 4 by monytowbray

M I S S I N G T H E P O I N T

Your point is that we are living in an increasingly facist state which is only likely to get worse under this current Tory government. If you truly believe this why on earth would you want to continue living here? I know I certainly wouldn't.
The dictator in No.10 on 16:03 - Feb 4 with 2134 viewsmonytowbray

The dictator in No.10 on 15:55 - Feb 4 by Enigma_Blue

Your point is that we are living in an increasingly facist state which is only likely to get worse under this current Tory government. If you truly believe this why on earth would you want to continue living here? I know I certainly wouldn't.

Because running away is enabling it as far as I'm concerned and I'd rather fight back. Can't wait to get the Molotov Cocktails out and lob them at Downing Street.

TWTD never forgets…

The dictator in No.10 on 16:06 - Feb 4 with 2133 viewsitfcjoe

The dictator in No.10 on 13:13 - Feb 4 by hampstead_blue

turning-up to make sure the other journalists didn't go in.

Maybe they did create a whatsup group and stage it, who knows. Did they have their own presser stating their own reasons?

Maybe it was solidarity, maybe it wasn't. Who knows until they tell us.

They literally have told us - even those you'd think are the most onside of the journos like Christopher Hope, who was the head of the lobby and is chief guy at the Telegraph has said as much.

https://www.politico.eu/article/westminster-journalists-stage-downing-street-wal

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/government-briefing-ban-newspaper-tv-journalis

How the lobby works
What is the lobby?
It is a collection of around 250 journalists representing an array of regional, national and ­international media outlets, all of whom report on the daily comings and goings of Westminster.

How does it work?
Journalists are given a lobby pass, which allows them to access the Parliamentary estate and therefore listen to debates in the Commons and Lords ­chambers, select committee hearings or simply meet MPs and their advisers. It also allows them access to the twice-daily lobby briefing delivered by the Prime Minister’s official spokesman.

What has changed?
The lobby briefing used to be held — for the most part — in the House of Commons, so any journalist with a pass could attend and ask ­questions about government ­business. But now all briefings are held in Downing Street, which has its own security, giving No 10 the power over who comes and goes.

Why is this a problem?
If No 10 decides it no longer likes a certain outlet, it can simply refuse to allow it entry to these important briefings.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/journalists-walk-out-of-no-10-briefing-a

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The dictator in No.10 on 16:13 - Feb 4 with 2118 viewslowhouseblue

The dictator in No.10 on 15:55 - Feb 4 by m14_blue

What do you think of the Government’s actions? Incredibly worrying isn’t it?

Wouldn’t you say that’s the bigger issue than a poster on TWTD using language that you find hyperbolic?

aside from leaving europe there is nothing that marks the current government out as extreme. it is well within the main stream of previous tory governments. in the main it is socially liberal - far more so than any previous tory gov't (the coalition and cameron wasn't a tory government). initial signs are that it is fairly independent on foreign policy - far more so than most previous tory gov'ts. it seems to believe in distributing power regionally and away from the centre. it is economically right wing - but much less so than say thatcher - this is shown by it's free trade stance and obviously by brexit in particular. in terms of fiscal policy it is within the broad tradition of post war keynesian gov'ts (lab and tory) - it is certainly not thatcherite in fiscal terms. it has already shown itself willing to use public ownership to counter market failure.

so let's call it what it is - an economically right wing broadly free market government. let's criticise it for that - it is going to be distributionaly regressive. let's not make stuff up about it being extremist or fascist.

politics is being dumbed down. people who don't know what political terminology means are one element of that. people who hysterically exaggerate how bad their opponents are is another. it's childish and diminishes political discussion.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2020 16:15]

The dictator in No.10 on 16:24 - Feb 4 with 2084 viewsm14_blue

The dictator in No.10 on 16:13 - Feb 4 by lowhouseblue

aside from leaving europe there is nothing that marks the current government out as extreme. it is well within the main stream of previous tory governments. in the main it is socially liberal - far more so than any previous tory gov't (the coalition and cameron wasn't a tory government). initial signs are that it is fairly independent on foreign policy - far more so than most previous tory gov'ts. it seems to believe in distributing power regionally and away from the centre. it is economically right wing - but much less so than say thatcher - this is shown by it's free trade stance and obviously by brexit in particular. in terms of fiscal policy it is within the broad tradition of post war keynesian gov'ts (lab and tory) - it is certainly not thatcherite in fiscal terms. it has already shown itself willing to use public ownership to counter market failure.

so let's call it what it is - an economically right wing broadly free market government. let's criticise it for that - it is going to be distributionaly regressive. let's not make stuff up about it being extremist or fascist.

politics is being dumbed down. people who don't know what political terminology means are one element of that. people who hysterically exaggerate how bad their opponents are is another. it's childish and diminishes political discussion.

They’ve been in power for 6 weeks, let’s wait and see if Patel, Raab, Rees-Mogg and co are socially liberal.

What do you think of their blatant attempt to control the press? Does that really not worry you at all?
The dictator in No.10 on 16:29 - Feb 4 with 2074 viewsmonytowbray

The dictator in No.10 on 16:13 - Feb 4 by lowhouseblue

Our politics is being dumbed down, says the guy currently trying to find whattaboutey and EDGELORD his way through a thread about controlling the media and earlier this week outright racism.

You've really painted yourself in a greater light than usual since the election. Be careful mate, that mask is slipping.

TWTD never forgets…

The dictator in No.10 on 17:25 - Feb 4 with 2047 viewsHARRY10

The dictator in No.10 on 16:29 - Feb 4 by monytowbray

Our politics is being dumbed down, says the guy currently trying to find whattaboutey and EDGELORD his way through a thread about controlling the media and earlier this week outright racism.

You've really painted yourself in a greater light than usual since the election. Be careful mate, that mask is slipping.

I'm not sure wither it was admirable bravery or complete stupidity that had Chloe Smith MP read out those words

can it get any worse ?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/video/2020/feb/04/laughter-erupts-as-tory-m
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024