Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The dictator in No.10 09:49 - Feb 4 with 12760 viewsNo9

Sorry if this has already been posted, it should concern all, that the Johnson regime is not only refusing to appear of cetain broadcasting programmes but, now seeks to control the printed press as well (not that, that is something new for the tories) how dangerous is this?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-brexit-news-journal

What else are they planning for justice & the judiciary after the Ball- V- Johnson stitch up?

Someone a few weeks ago posted thatwe are en route to becoming a fascist state - this goes to show that poster was not wrong.
The dictator in No.10 on 18:19 - Feb 4 with 2453 viewslowhouseblue

The dictator in No.10 on 16:29 - Feb 4 by monytowbray

Our politics is being dumbed down, says the guy currently trying to find whattaboutey and EDGELORD his way through a thread about controlling the media and earlier this week outright racism.

You've really painted yourself in a greater light than usual since the election. Be careful mate, that mask is slipping.

if you never aspire to look at anything objectively politics just becomes a shouty ego trip. boris johnson is politically objectionable and a deeply flawed human being, but he isn't a fascist and has no fascist tendencies. the tory government is right wing and economically regressive but it is not taking us towards fascism. it is genuinely sad that someone pointing this out to you upsets you so much

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

The dictator in No.10 on 19:12 - Feb 4 with 2415 viewshampstead_blue

The dictator in No.10 on 16:06 - Feb 4 by itfcjoe

They literally have told us - even those you'd think are the most onside of the journos like Christopher Hope, who was the head of the lobby and is chief guy at the Telegraph has said as much.

https://www.politico.eu/article/westminster-journalists-stage-downing-street-wal

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/government-briefing-ban-newspaper-tv-journalis

How the lobby works
What is the lobby?
It is a collection of around 250 journalists representing an array of regional, national and ­international media outlets, all of whom report on the daily comings and goings of Westminster.

How does it work?
Journalists are given a lobby pass, which allows them to access the Parliamentary estate and therefore listen to debates in the Commons and Lords ­chambers, select committee hearings or simply meet MPs and their advisers. It also allows them access to the twice-daily lobby briefing delivered by the Prime Minister’s official spokesman.

What has changed?
The lobby briefing used to be held — for the most part — in the House of Commons, so any journalist with a pass could attend and ask ­questions about government ­business. But now all briefings are held in Downing Street, which has its own security, giving No 10 the power over who comes and goes.

Why is this a problem?
If No 10 decides it no longer likes a certain outlet, it can simply refuse to allow it entry to these important briefings.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/journalists-walk-out-of-no-10-briefing-a

Thanks Joe.
I'm not comfortable with exclusive access.
I live in hope if not expectation

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

The dictator in No.10 on 19:27 - Feb 4 with 2407 viewsRyorry

The dictator in No.10 on 18:19 - Feb 4 by lowhouseblue

if you never aspire to look at anything objectively politics just becomes a shouty ego trip. boris johnson is politically objectionable and a deeply flawed human being, but he isn't a fascist and has no fascist tendencies. the tory government is right wing and economically regressive but it is not taking us towards fascism. it is genuinely sad that someone pointing this out to you upsets you so much

"it is not taking us towards fascism"

How can you possibly know that unless you're able to time travel forward?

The wording of the OP was "Someone a few weeks ago posted that we are en route to becoming a fascist state - this goes to show that poster was not wrong".

You're probably better read than me on history, and I know for sure that the OP is, so could you please explain to me how censorship, manipulation of the press/broadcast media and use of propaganda did not figure in the rise of fascism in 1930s Germany? (just to use the most obvious example).

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

The dictator in No.10 on 19:32 - Feb 4 with 2389 viewshampstead_blue

The dictator in No.10 on 16:03 - Feb 4 by monytowbray

Because running away is enabling it as far as I'm concerned and I'd rather fight back. Can't wait to get the Molotov Cocktails out and lob them at Downing Street.

you are a grade A, class 1 pleb.

If you really think this Gov is facist then truly boil your head. Go and join the budgies.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

The dictator in No.10 on 19:34 - Feb 4 with 2394 viewssparks

The dictator in No.10 on 19:12 - Feb 4 by hampstead_blue

Thanks Joe.
I'm not comfortable with exclusive access.
I live in hope if not expectation

What earthly reason do you have for hope?

Those good old British values of honour and integrity appear not to feature in Borisland.

His behaviour (probably driven by Cummings) is sinister at best.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

The dictator in No.10 on 19:42 - Feb 4 with 2379 viewslowhouseblue

The dictator in No.10 on 19:27 - Feb 4 by Ryorry

"it is not taking us towards fascism"

How can you possibly know that unless you're able to time travel forward?

The wording of the OP was "Someone a few weeks ago posted that we are en route to becoming a fascist state - this goes to show that poster was not wrong".

You're probably better read than me on history, and I know for sure that the OP is, so could you please explain to me how censorship, manipulation of the press/broadcast media and use of propaganda did not figure in the rise of fascism in 1930s Germany? (just to use the most obvious example).

comparing anything currently happening in the uk, or that is currently plausible in the uk, in terms of "censorship, manipulation of the press/broadcast media and use of propaganda" with "the rise of fascism in 1930s Germany" is silly and makes you look ridiculous.

you are sharp and sane and articulate - surely you can be be hugely critical of boris and the tories without calling them fascists and comparing them to 1930s germany. holding a different type of press conference, in addition to the two conventional ones that day, has no relation to events in 1930s germany - it is disrespectful of those who suffered in that period to suggest any comparison.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2020 19:44]

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

The dictator in No.10 on 19:50 - Feb 4 with 2372 viewsjas0999

Such a shame that Labour are so weak. Corbyn in particular. Can’t see anything changing in many years as Labour continue to fail.

For me, it will be years of voting for minor parties as I simply can’t vote Labour.
The dictator in No.10 on 19:59 - Feb 4 with 2364 viewsRyorry

The dictator in No.10 on 19:42 - Feb 4 by lowhouseblue

comparing anything currently happening in the uk, or that is currently plausible in the uk, in terms of "censorship, manipulation of the press/broadcast media and use of propaganda" with "the rise of fascism in 1930s Germany" is silly and makes you look ridiculous.

you are sharp and sane and articulate - surely you can be be hugely critical of boris and the tories without calling them fascists and comparing them to 1930s germany. holding a different type of press conference, in addition to the two conventional ones that day, has no relation to events in 1930s germany - it is disrespectful of those who suffered in that period to suggest any comparison.

I'm afraid you have, and still are, seriously missing the point most people on this thread (incl myself) are making re BJ & the Tories *edging down that road*.

I certainly did not call them fascists now or compare them with the AH's 3rd Reich once in power. I said they've used at least one of the tactics that fascists use and cited that as one example.

Didn't think you were someone prepared to be so disingenuous (apologies in advance if you genuinely didn't understand the point I was trying to make).

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Login to get fewer ads

The dictator in No.10 on 20:15 - Feb 4 with 2338 viewsmonytowbray

The dictator in No.10 on 19:32 - Feb 4 by hampstead_blue

you are a grade A, class 1 pleb.

If you really think this Gov is facist then truly boil your head. Go and join the budgies.

You thinking I’m a “pleb” is probably a good thing, means I’m doing something right to upset the thicko who spent weeks slagging off Labour only then to post loads of ideas the Tories *could* do that were actually in Labour’s manifesto.

Do you know what a pleb is BTW?

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

The dictator in No.10 on 20:36 - Feb 4 with 2321 viewsSwansea_Blue

It’s not silly at all. There’s a lot of work looking at the similarities between the Weimar Republic in the late 20s/early 30s and the rise of populist and increasing authoritarian governments today.

It doesn’t mean we’ll go the same way of course, but it’s a valid line of study/reflection. If there are lessons we can learn to prevent us making any mistakes towards that direction, it makes sense to consider them.

Ps. People weren’t suffering, that’s the point. It’s called populism for a reason. The OP isn’t talking about the height of the Nazi regime; they’re talking about the time before under a democracy, but a failing one that ultimately lead to the Nazis seizing all power.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2020 20:43]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The dictator in No.10 on 21:27 - Feb 4 with 2295 viewsNo9

The dictator in No.10 on 16:13 - Feb 4 by lowhouseblue

aside from leaving europe there is nothing that marks the current government out as extreme. it is well within the main stream of previous tory governments. in the main it is socially liberal - far more so than any previous tory gov't (the coalition and cameron wasn't a tory government). initial signs are that it is fairly independent on foreign policy - far more so than most previous tory gov'ts. it seems to believe in distributing power regionally and away from the centre. it is economically right wing - but much less so than say thatcher - this is shown by it's free trade stance and obviously by brexit in particular. in terms of fiscal policy it is within the broad tradition of post war keynesian gov'ts (lab and tory) - it is certainly not thatcherite in fiscal terms. it has already shown itself willing to use public ownership to counter market failure.

so let's call it what it is - an economically right wing broadly free market government. let's criticise it for that - it is going to be distributionaly regressive. let's not make stuff up about it being extremist or fascist.

politics is being dumbed down. people who don't know what political terminology means are one element of that. people who hysterically exaggerate how bad their opponents are is another. it's childish and diminishes political discussion.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2020 16:15]

It seems that you have not been watching what has been happening in British politics over the last 6 months or so. Just a few thigns for you to consider - & there is more if you bother to look.

Take a look at the way in which the Marcus Ball case was handled by Judges who failed to reveal they had faily close ties with Johnson. & what his administration has said they will do to the Justice system & judiciary - this week may give us a clue?

It isn't just selective press conferences but - Tory MP's have been banned from appearing on certain broadcast or with certain broadcasters - you think that is normal?

You believe this government is socially liberal? - you are obvoiusly not aware of what Ms Patel has been advocating for some time now?
Then if you really need awakening read some of the stuff the likes of:- Raab / Patel / Truss / Kwateng - have commited to print.
I suggest you take a long hard historic look at Italy in th 1920's then think about it.
No one has said we are in a fascist state but one should not overlook history and where the current crop of leading politicians may take us.

Maybe you could consider Trump & how this governemnt is copying much of what his administration is doing - compare that with Germany in the 1930's. = there are documented comparisons to make it easy for you.

If this is all ignored who knows where it will end up.
The dictator in No.10 on 21:31 - Feb 4 with 2292 viewssparks

The dictator in No.10 on 21:27 - Feb 4 by No9

It seems that you have not been watching what has been happening in British politics over the last 6 months or so. Just a few thigns for you to consider - & there is more if you bother to look.

Take a look at the way in which the Marcus Ball case was handled by Judges who failed to reveal they had faily close ties with Johnson. & what his administration has said they will do to the Justice system & judiciary - this week may give us a clue?

It isn't just selective press conferences but - Tory MP's have been banned from appearing on certain broadcast or with certain broadcasters - you think that is normal?

You believe this government is socially liberal? - you are obvoiusly not aware of what Ms Patel has been advocating for some time now?
Then if you really need awakening read some of the stuff the likes of:- Raab / Patel / Truss / Kwateng - have commited to print.
I suggest you take a long hard historic look at Italy in th 1920's then think about it.
No one has said we are in a fascist state but one should not overlook history and where the current crop of leading politicians may take us.

Maybe you could consider Trump & how this governemnt is copying much of what his administration is doing - compare that with Germany in the 1930's. = there are documented comparisons to make it easy for you.

If this is all ignored who knows where it will end up.

Unusually I agree with some of what you say.

You undermine your arguments, however, with daft innuendo about the Marcus Ball case- unless you have some evidence of your suggestion and its actual impact...

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

The dictator in No.10 on 21:31 - Feb 4 with 2292 viewsNo9

The dictator in No.10 on 10:56 - Feb 4 by flimflam

Yep they did I agree but would they have walked if the others present who were not invited were in the same room? Probably not.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2020 10:57]

I recommend you go to the BC Iplayer & listen to the journo Peter Ob one ( NOT at all left wing) and listen to the interview he gave to R5 live between 10.00 & 11.00.
He sets out exactly what is wrong with this so that anyone can understand both why it is not only wrong & undemocratic BUT how this is intended to work against the public.
I say this because you posts show you have not grasped what happened nor why.
The dictator in No.10 on 21:52 - Feb 4 with 2273 viewsmonytowbray

The dictator in No.10 on 21:31 - Feb 4 by No9

I recommend you go to the BC Iplayer & listen to the journo Peter Ob one ( NOT at all left wing) and listen to the interview he gave to R5 live between 10.00 & 11.00.
He sets out exactly what is wrong with this so that anyone can understand both why it is not only wrong & undemocratic BUT how this is intended to work against the public.
I say this because you posts show you have not grasped what happened nor why.

Seeing as you live next door you could have invited them round for a cup of tea afterwards.

TWTD never forgets…

The dictator in No.10 on 08:45 - Feb 5 with 2191 viewsNo9

The dictator in No.10 on 21:31 - Feb 4 by sparks

Unusually I agree with some of what you say.

You undermine your arguments, however, with daft innuendo about the Marcus Ball case- unless you have some evidence of your suggestion and its actual impact...

I read the Marcus Ball case
I also have been made aware of the links the Judges in the appeal case have to the defendant Johnson.
The dictator in No.10 on 08:45 - Feb 5 with 2190 viewsNo9

The dictator in No.10 on 21:52 - Feb 4 by monytowbray

Seeing as you live next door you could have invited them round for a cup of tea afterwards.

???
The dictator in No.10 on 09:25 - Feb 5 with 2168 viewsBlueNomad

It is their TACTICS that are similar to the 1930's. Note the difference between tactics and policies.
The dictator in No.10 on 09:29 - Feb 5 with 2153 viewsmonytowbray

The dictator in No.10 on 08:45 - Feb 5 by No9

???

Look at your username ;)

TWTD never forgets…

The dictator in No.10 on 09:53 - Feb 5 with 2140 viewssparks

The dictator in No.10 on 08:45 - Feb 5 by No9

I read the Marcus Ball case
I also have been made aware of the links the Judges in the appeal case have to the defendant Johnson.

I repeat my previous comment. Vague innuendo undermines your other points. Specifics required.

The dictator in No.10 on 12:28 - Feb 5 with 2104 viewsDecoy_Octopus

Further to this, I've just read that the government wants to 'amend' the Human rights Act - specifically the sections on the right to life and the right to a family life.

reading the comments on the article in the Sun people are saying good, terrorists don't need rights and even one "if you're a law abiding citizen you don't need human rights". people seem to think this would just apply to terrorists but it starts the country on a slope where it could affect everyone.

Link https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10889938/boris-johnson-facing-legal-battle-to-over

the comments are ridiculous. Why would anyone want this?
The dictator in No.10 on 12:51 - Feb 5 with 2068 views26_Paz

Fantastic to see some fight back from the Government against those who engage in the spread of fake news.

The Paz Man

The dictator in No.10 on 12:54 - Feb 5 with 2059 viewsDarth_Koont

The dictator in No.10 on 12:28 - Feb 5 by Decoy_Octopus

Further to this, I've just read that the government wants to 'amend' the Human rights Act - specifically the sections on the right to life and the right to a family life.

reading the comments on the article in the Sun people are saying good, terrorists don't need rights and even one "if you're a law abiding citizen you don't need human rights". people seem to think this would just apply to terrorists but it starts the country on a slope where it could affect everyone.

Link https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10889938/boris-johnson-facing-legal-battle-to-over

"Why would anyone want this?"

Because we don't think enough in the deeper sense of the word. And our politicians and, most criminally, our media encourage and profit from that.

Pronouns: He/Him

The dictator in No.10 on 12:59 - Feb 5 with 2041 viewsHARRY10

The dictator in No.10 on 12:28 - Feb 5 by Decoy_Octopus

""if you're a law abiding citizen you don't need human rights"

Unfortunately there are thousands locked up in vatious countries around the world who would beg to differ

And turning it on it's head if a government is law abiding then it has no fear of laws that protect it's citizens

Sadly though, this is just a further example where the stupid have been dangerously misled - and human rights is part of that collective evil designed to oppress us all.... political correctness, health and safety and even our old friend the nanny state

Yes, it is not those renting out squalid housing, who consistently objected to a minimum wage, have caused deaths at work through negligence or brought about foot and mouth by avoiding the above

No, those sort are to be voted for and believed irrespective of how much they lie.
The dictator in No.10 on 13:14 - Feb 5 with 2020 viewsDecoy_Octopus

The dictator in No.10 on 12:59 - Feb 5 by HARRY10

""if you're a law abiding citizen you don't need human rights"

Unfortunately there are thousands locked up in vatious countries around the world who would beg to differ

And turning it on it's head if a government is law abiding then it has no fear of laws that protect it's citizens

Sadly though, this is just a further example where the stupid have been dangerously misled - and human rights is part of that collective evil designed to oppress us all.... political correctness, health and safety and even our old friend the nanny state

Yes, it is not those renting out squalid housing, who consistently objected to a minimum wage, have caused deaths at work through negligence or brought about foot and mouth by avoiding the above

No, those sort are to be voted for and believed irrespective of how much they lie.

How long would it take for people to twig that Human rights apply to humans and not just terrorists, probably after it's too late. Even then people would still probably defend it.
The dictator in No.10 on 13:26 - Feb 5 with 1993 viewsmonytowbray

The dictator in No.10 on 13:14 - Feb 5 by Decoy_Octopus

How long would it take for people to twig that Human rights apply to humans and not just terrorists, probably after it's too late. Even then people would still probably defend it.

This country seems intent on destroying our own safety nets there for us because a few people they feel less deserving than them might not fall to their death.

See also; benefits.

TWTD never forgets…

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024