Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just watched the highlights 09:31 - Feb 23 with 8385 viewsstewartm

And the Ipswich defenders are absolutely awful, watching Woolfy come across to mark Oxford player attacking and literally leave two Oxford players unmarked standing 2 yards off our goal. Sod being a goal keeper with that defence in front of you the marking and Ipswich defence player movement/cover was Sunday pub league! Loads of posts concerning lack of goals but the defending for the Oxford goal was very bad. Chambers is total garbage and surely playing three at the back Woolfy should be central!!
[Post edited 23 Feb 2020 9:34]

Poll: How long will Lamburke survive this season?

Just watched the highlights on 12:00 - Feb 23 with 2785 viewsHerbivore

Just watched the highlights on 11:57 - Feb 23 by stewartm

gotta be better than Chambers? he is versatile

In no way whatsoever is Wilson better than Chambers.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Just watched the highlights on 12:05 - Feb 23 with 2792 viewsstewartm

Just watched the highlights on 11:45 - Feb 23 by pointofblue

I agree. I still think 4-4-2 is probably the best option available to us at the moment. The only question is who do we play in the middle - do we go safety first as we did at the start of the season when we had little option?

Holy
Donacien - Woolfenden - Chambers - Earl
Edwards - Skuse - Downes - Garbutt
Keane - Sears

I am concerned about Earl’s ability to support Garbutt on the left; we might be better with Kenlock there like at the start of the season. 3-5-2 might work better once Vincent-Young returns.

Playing 4-4-2 with Skuse in front as defensive midfield did not work and probably is partly why PL has chopped and changed, Skuse is not good enough and not only have Ipswich been screaming out for decenet Fullbacks (KVY had a massive impact when signed) but we have been screaming out to replace Skuse for quite a while and until we see the end of both Skuse and also Chambers then there will be no improvement IMO.

----------------------------Holy------------------

KVY-----------Woolf--new signing-------new signing

-------------------------new signing--------------------

new signing----------Huws/Bishop-------new signing

--------------------Norwood--Jackon/new signing---------
[Post edited 23 Feb 2020 12:09]

Just watched the highlights on 13:56 - Feb 23 with 2767 viewsBluesquid

Reading the match report i am a little surprised that no mention was made as to just how sloppy and poor the defending was for the goal, likewise the interview with Lambert - nothing at all regarding the defending.
Just watched the highlights on 14:00 - Feb 23 with 2754 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Just watched the highlights on 14:33 - Feb 23 with 2721 viewsHerbivore

Just watched the highlights on 12:05 - Feb 23 by stewartm

Playing 4-4-2 with Skuse in front as defensive midfield did not work and probably is partly why PL has chopped and changed, Skuse is not good enough and not only have Ipswich been screaming out for decenet Fullbacks (KVY had a massive impact when signed) but we have been screaming out to replace Skuse for quite a while and until we see the end of both Skuse and also Chambers then there will be no improvement IMO.

----------------------------Holy------------------

KVY-----------Woolf--new signing-------new signing

-------------------------new signing--------------------

new signing----------Huws/Bishop-------new signing

--------------------Norwood--Jackon/new signing---------
[Post edited 23 Feb 2020 12:09]

After a quarter of the season where we'd largely played 4-4-2 with Skuse and Downes in midfield we'd accrued 27 points and were well clear at the top with games in hand. If that's us not working then I'd like to go back to us not working please.

Just watched the highlights on 14:38 - Feb 23 with 2719 viewsmonytowbray

Edwards was doing his best Jordan Spence impression for that goal yesterday. Granted it was a good goal and they opened us up but bloody hell. In the C’ship we’d get murdered.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Just watched the highlights on 14:53 - Feb 23 with 2715 viewsPJH

Just watched the highlights on 14:33 - Feb 23 by Herbivore

After a quarter of the season where we'd largely played 4-4-2 with Skuse and Downes in midfield we'd accrued 27 points and were well clear at the top with games in hand. If that's us not working then I'd like to go back to us not working please.

Yes, Skuse and Downes both started all of the first 11 League games and we were then undefeated and top of the table.
Just watched the highlights on 14:57 - Feb 23 with 2700 viewsHerbivore

Just watched the highlights on 14:53 - Feb 23 by PJH

Yes, Skuse and Downes both started all of the first 11 League games and we were then undefeated and top of the table.

Holy also started every game. I think Chambers, Woolfy, Norwood and Jackson each missed only one game during that run. It's amazing what happens when you have a settled spine of the team and largely keep the same system. When you abandon the basics, that's when you tend to run into trouble.

Login to get fewer ads

Just watched the highlights on 15:15 - Feb 23 with 2701 viewsNo9

Would not be so alarming if Town had a decent striker would it?
One goal scoring season from Murph since Joe Royale departed
That is more serious than conceding 1 goal
Football is an attacking game but while Town have improved in that over the last year the strike rate is abysmal
Just watched the highlights on 16:11 - Feb 23 with 2687 viewssparks

Chambers and Woolf at fault there. Neither held position and tracked a man. Good movement by the strikers, but really....

Awful awful miss by Garbutt first half too- best chance of the game, but waited for it to be on his left rather than using his right, when it clearly required a decent early strike with the right.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Just watched the highlights on 16:23 - Feb 23 with 2674 viewsjayessess

Just watched the highlights on 13:56 - Feb 23 by Bluesquid

Reading the match report i am a little surprised that no mention was made as to just how sloppy and poor the defending was for the goal, likewise the interview with Lambert - nothing at all regarding the defending.

tbf, bad as the defending for the goal was, easy to get distracted by the lack of attacking threat thereafter. Yeah, there's a catalogue of errors, but it shouldn't have been a death sentence...

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Just watched the highlights on 16:50 - Feb 23 with 2657 viewsstewartm

Just watched the highlights on 14:33 - Feb 23 by Herbivore

I cannot argue with that but a lot of other factors are missing here, 27 points yes but some unconvincing wins (it has been previously noticed by some) KVY playing (more balance and a good player) and I could argue Skuse has been a defensive midfielder for a few seasons in one of the worse midfieds/teams at Ipswich for decades. I have watched him time and again and I am still baffled to why people rate him.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2020 16:54]

Just watched the highlights on 16:55 - Feb 23 with 2638 viewsHerbivore

Just watched the highlights on 16:50 - Feb 23 by stewartm

I cannot argue with that but a lot of other factors are missing here, 27 points yes but some unconvincing wins (it has been previously noticed by some) KVY playing (more balance and a good player) and I could argue Skuse has been a defensive midfielder for a few seasons in one of the worse midfieds/teams at Ipswich for decades. I have watched him time and again and I am still baffled to why people rate him.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2020 16:54]

Wins are wins. I'd take unconvincing wins right now. The point is we were largely solid and that gave us a platform to work from, even before KVY signed. You could make that argument regarding Skuse but only the numbskulls would take it seriously given how clearly selective and biased you'd need to be to make that argument.

Just watched the highlights on 16:57 - Feb 23 with 2643 viewsstewartm

Just watched the highlights on 16:55 - Feb 23 by Herbivore

Wins are wins. I'd take unconvincing wins right now. The point is we were largely solid and that gave us a platform to work from, even before KVY signed. You could make that argument regarding Skuse but only the numbskulls would take it seriously given how clearly selective and biased you'd need to be to make that argument.

Getting hammered out of the Championship and struggling to get into playoffs in league one kinda makes me biased, how many more managers before we have a proper clear out of the 'deadwood'?
[Post edited 23 Feb 2020 16:58]

Just watched the highlights on 17:02 - Feb 23 with 2624 viewsHerbivore

Just watched the highlights on 16:57 - Feb 23 by stewartm

Getting hammered out of the Championship and struggling to get into playoffs in league one kinda makes me biased, how many more managers before we have a proper clear out of the 'deadwood'?
[Post edited 23 Feb 2020 16:58]

You're ignoring that Skuse, like Chambers, was a key part of a side that finished top half in the Championship 4 seasons out of 5. To blame either of them for our relegation rather than the raft of signings that simply weren't up to the task seems rather odd. Blaming Skuse now at a point where he's barely started for the past couple of months at least is even more odd.

Just watched the highlights on 17:08 - Feb 23 with 2628 viewssparks

Just watched the highlights on 16:23 - Feb 23 by jayessess

tbf, bad as the defending for the goal was, easy to get distracted by the lack of attacking threat thereafter. Yeah, there's a catalogue of errors, but it shouldn't have been a death sentence...

Nope- but it allowed Oxford to sit, work on the break, get men behind the ball, and break up the play with cynical fouls, play acting and time wasting.

At which point, our setup didnt look to have any way through: passes around the middle, being pressed, eventually having to go back and go long- then repeat.

The tactical approach by Lambert was utterly baffling. Against a team sitting in, you need to play differently. You either need incisive passing to unpick the defence, or a lump to aim at, or some skills to break through the press (whether in the middle or wings) and make spaces open up.

- so eventually, after huffing and puffing to no avail for a prolonged period, we belatedly make changes and go 442. 19 minutes left. Barely time for a sub to get a feel for the game.

We put a very slow and utterly ineffective Alan Judge on the wing, where he had to try to beat 2 or 3 defenders to make progress. We kept 3 centre backs on the pitch and wondered why the short passing didnt work. We put the best dribbler the club has had in a decade wide on the left, where he could not even get involved in the game.

We took off one of the only 2 players on the team with any pace at all. Then we continued as before, with even less effect. End result, Jackson gets utterly frutrated trying to battle 2 or 3 markers constantly, and win headers from long balls, when he should be in the middle or channels getting on the end of passes- and he loses his head.

Nolan, meanwhile, was entirely AWOL throughout the 2nd half- and barely crossed the half way line.

We had on the bench- an incisive passer, who cannot have been worse than Nolan (nor any less physically imposing, frankly), we had a skilled dribbler- who makes chances through packed defences and waste him wide, for a bare 19 minutes. We had an alternative striker available. He was brought on on the stroke of 90 minutes. A time when people make subs to kill time, momentum and safeguard a 1-0 win. Extraoradinary choice. Either bring him on or don't. It was a classic time wasting sub!

We could have: gone unsophisticated and shoved Earl or Wolf up front to win headers, if we felt we had to go long. Used Dozzell to open things up from deeper if we wanted to keep passing. Use Huws to add some physical presence and hold the ball in the middle. Get jackson wide right (where he had a lot of joy first half) and keep Edwards as a proper right back in a 442, with Sears on up front. Simply swapping Bishop for Judge was another obvious ploy not tried.

So many tactical possibilities that would have made some logical sense. Yet the choice, when chasing a goal, was to keep 3 centre backs on the pitch, put a slow small underperforming no.10 on the right wing, and an exciting young attacking midfielder on the left wing. Whilst leaving an ineffective Nolan on the field doing nothing. Just inexplicable all round.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2020 17:20]

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Just watched the highlights on 17:22 - Feb 23 with 2606 viewshadleighboyblue

Just watched the highlights on 10:53 - Feb 23 by clive_baker

The 2 are linked though. We’re so poor defensively that we’re left with little choice than to play a back 3 with wingbacks. The last time we played a back 4 we shipped 5 to a very average Lincoln side who looked like scoring every time they came forward, and Edwards was absolutely destroyed at right back. I’m not convinced by Garbutt defensively either. Ideally if we had a pair of out and out full backs we could line up with 4 at the back, but we don’t. It’s an issue that hasn’t been addressed for years. How much does our narrow midfield really create for the front 2? They’re forever playing with their backs to goal and if I were Jackson I would be so frustrated. Who’s getting to the bye line and creating for him? He’s having to do that himself because we lack width in the advanced areas. Same for Norwood, people talk about his confidence and not putting his chances away but it’s not like he’s had 5 on a plate week in week out. We create next to nothing. It’s a shape issue but driven by personnel for me. Partly bad luck with injuries to Lancaster & Rowe, just about our only 2 natural wide options.

The team looks like they don't know what their roles are - that has to be down to poor coaching .

Is Nolan told not to make any forward passes , Jackson put some lovely balls across yesterday , but no one bust a gut to get on the end of them . Is Keane told not to bother competing for anything in the air , or not to try a shot .

Who is meant to be doing the coaching , all Taylor seems to do on match days is moan to the 4th official all game , I'm beginning to wonder what his actual role is .

We are crying out for a decent coach and tactician , sadly neither the manager or his assistant seem up to the job .
Just watched the highlights on 17:24 - Feb 23 with 2604 viewssparks

Just watched the highlights on 17:22 - Feb 23 by hadleighboyblue

The team looks like they don't know what their roles are - that has to be down to poor coaching .

Is Nolan told not to make any forward passes , Jackson put some lovely balls across yesterday , but no one bust a gut to get on the end of them . Is Keane told not to bother competing for anything in the air , or not to try a shot .

Who is meant to be doing the coaching , all Taylor seems to do on match days is moan to the 4th official all game , I'm beginning to wonder what his actual role is .

We are crying out for a decent coach and tactician , sadly neither the manager or his assistant seem up to the job .

Jackson put good balls in- but the man you want int he middle getting on them, is your pacy centre forward. He did the job wide right, because our right wing back rarely crossed the centre line. In this 532 the wing backs are being played defensively- despite having a pretty defensive central 3 as well.

Just watched the highlights on 17:35 - Feb 23 with 2597 viewscbower

Just watched the highlights on 17:08 - Feb 23 by sparks

Nope- but it allowed Oxford to sit, work on the break, get men behind the ball, and break up the play with cynical fouls, play acting and time wasting.

At which point, our setup didnt look to have any way through: passes around the middle, being pressed, eventually having to go back and go long- then repeat.

The tactical approach by Lambert was utterly baffling. Against a team sitting in, you need to play differently. You either need incisive passing to unpick the defence, or a lump to aim at, or some skills to break through the press (whether in the middle or wings) and make spaces open up.

- so eventually, after huffing and puffing to no avail for a prolonged period, we belatedly make changes and go 442. 19 minutes left. Barely time for a sub to get a feel for the game.

We put a very slow and utterly ineffective Alan Judge on the wing, where he had to try to beat 2 or 3 defenders to make progress. We kept 3 centre backs on the pitch and wondered why the short passing didnt work. We put the best dribbler the club has had in a decade wide on the left, where he could not even get involved in the game.

We took off one of the only 2 players on the team with any pace at all. Then we continued as before, with even less effect. End result, Jackson gets utterly frutrated trying to battle 2 or 3 markers constantly, and win headers from long balls, when he should be in the middle or channels getting on the end of passes- and he loses his head.

Nolan, meanwhile, was entirely AWOL throughout the 2nd half- and barely crossed the half way line.

We had on the bench- an incisive passer, who cannot have been worse than Nolan (nor any less physically imposing, frankly), we had a skilled dribbler- who makes chances through packed defences and waste him wide, for a bare 19 minutes. We had an alternative striker available. He was brought on on the stroke of 90 minutes. A time when people make subs to kill time, momentum and safeguard a 1-0 win. Extraoradinary choice. Either bring him on or don't. It was a classic time wasting sub!

We could have: gone unsophisticated and shoved Earl or Wolf up front to win headers, if we felt we had to go long. Used Dozzell to open things up from deeper if we wanted to keep passing. Use Huws to add some physical presence and hold the ball in the middle. Get jackson wide right (where he had a lot of joy first half) and keep Edwards as a proper right back in a 442, with Sears on up front. Simply swapping Bishop for Judge was another obvious ploy not tried.

So many tactical possibilities that would have made some logical sense. Yet the choice, when chasing a goal, was to keep 3 centre backs on the pitch, put a slow small underperforming no.10 on the right wing, and an exciting young attacking midfielder on the left wing. Whilst leaving an ineffective Nolan on the field doing nothing. Just inexplicable all round.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2020 17:20]

What anyone sees in Nolan is beyond me. One paced, loves a sideways or backwards ball (I know it's called recycling but an occasional incisive forward ball would be nice), shots yes, troubling the keeper....not much, physical presence.....nope. what is there? His use of Bishop out wide is nonsense. Mick used him there as an 18 year old but his place is in the middle. The Sears substitution? Baffling and the gibberish in the press conference about 90 minutes in one or suchlike just pure BS. Lambert is seriously clueless.

bluescouser

Just watched the highlights on 18:35 - Feb 23 with 2572 viewsWickets

Woolfie seemed to do better when he was left side , bit strange but there you go . Or maybe he is just a young player finding his way in the game who is mentally tired ?
Just watched the highlights on 23:19 - Feb 23 with 2521 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Just watched the highlights on 10:59 - Feb 23 by Fixed_It

Defensively we are poor I think. Love Chambo but he is 35 now. I very much doubt Wolfie will be here next season. Garbutt won't. I really hope work is being done behind the scenes looking foe replacements.

'Love Chambo but he is 35 now'

People were extremely happy when he signed a new contract towards the end of catastrophic last season. He ought to have been accountable for the relegation just like others but somehow got rewarded with the extension.

All of sudden he's too old now? His experience was going to be vital for us in League One according to some.

He's just like Lambert. Excellent off the pitch and saying 'nice' things in the interviews.
[Post edited 24 Feb 2020 0:23]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024