Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Evans just can't win 09:40 - Mar 6 with 5312 viewsBluefish

He has had pelters in the past for all sorts

State of the stadium
Funding of the team
Sticking by managers
Not having a DoF
Not speaking publically
Not honouring our history
Not listening to the fans
Selling our best players

This year he has fixed just about everything in the list but the blame goes back because despite his 100 million we wanted these things quicker.

PRP was given a contract because he had his name sung all game by the crowd. Even when he took us down in the most pathetic effort ever the crowd said it is ok we are happy we love you. This season despite utter dross they continued to sing about him, the players songs completely dried up and it was all about PRP. The owners gave China new contract because without the fans their is no club and the fans adored PRP.

He kept judge and Dozzell because the fans called him a **** loud and clear when the rumours were we would sell them.

He appointed a young progressive manager in PH, on paper it didnt get better than league 1 manager of the year.

The stadium is being done up, not just with cheap paint because with respect to our history and by involving fans.

The focus is still there for the academy and everything has been done to recruit for it well and keep the players

Our budget is easily one of the highest in this league if not the highest. It was widely thought we would sell off but we continued to add to give the strength to the squad.

Evans is from perfect and he has made mistakes but he is so far from being the current person responsible for the mess.

Lambert came into a side with a long history in thisbleaguenor higher. We were 5 points adrift with well over half a season left. We didn't put up the slightest fight and we didn't lay amy foundations for future success, we were inept and clueless and we still are over an year later. This isn't a manager squeezing the best out of a team that ultimately isn't good enough, it is a charlatan more interested in his playing career stealing a living while chucking out PR stunts to play the crowd like puppets.

Evans is not the current problem and is unlikely to be at this level, Lambert must go and we must focus on the right areas and then regroup as a crowd. keane blew our golden chance financially, now PRP is blowing it from a fan base point of view, the commitment to this season was unheard of, inhope it isn't wasted.

We are also on the verge of a golden generation academy wise. We expect to lose the diamonds of Downes and Woolfenden but we still have

Lankester
Dobra
El Mizouni
Simpson
Nydam
Dozzell

Plus many others including mcgavin, przybek, Gibbs, crowe, hughes, drinan. Even the likes of bishop is still someone to be proud of and build around

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Evans just can't win on 11:10 - Mar 6 with 1414 viewsrickw

Evans just can't win on 11:06 - Mar 6 by artsbossbeard

Paul Jewell??

It took some time for me to come to terms with Lambert too, but I know he did great with Norwich and then was rude to Look East/Anglia TV in his initial press conference whenever they mentioned the scum so I accepted him

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Evans just can't win on 11:10 - Mar 6 with 1413 viewsKieran_Knows

Me personally, there just needs to be some direction. There clearly isn't no structure, no planning, just everything feels for the 'here and now'. I think if there was a structure/plan, people would get behind it and may cut him a bit more slack (although I do think he gets away with a lot already). I know we'd never be a Brentford or Norwich/Huddersfield under Webber, but something a long those lines.

I've no problem with the club selling players, we are where we are, but it would be good if that money was reinvested and doing the same again. To me our scouting department seems quite pathetic, it feels very much more luck than actual judgement when we pick players up.

I saw Joe mention yesterday that releasing Skuse this summer would probably save the club somewhere around £200k, that money could be wisely invested in 3 or 4 key staff behind the scenes which would help us enormously, but very much doubt that would be the case.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Evans just can't win on 11:14 - Mar 6 with 1402 viewsr2d2

Evans just can't win on 10:11 - Mar 6 by Oxford_Blue

He doesn’t run it. He owns it.

And what are the decisions that you say are wrong and which have caused the current mess?

He appointed managers who are responsible for the performances on the pitch.

Ok , so he owns it. Then his decision making is inept then. He appoints the manager, he funds the club(supposedly). He doesnt back the manager with funds(see Mick, when we were top, see Lambert when we were top). He refuses to have a D.O.F instead having mouth pieces(Clegg, Milne and now O Neil), who just trot out spin that the supporters are supposed to take in.
He isnt responsible for performances on the pitch, but he has contributed to what we have on the pitch, old or crocked players that no one wants or wanted, because they are cheap. A few youngsters coming through who he will cash in on whenever possible.
That man has been in charge of the decline of this club, he has ruined it. He has overseen our lowest league position in 60 years. So l think he has got it wrong on numerous occasions which all helps to add up to the current mess (as you put it) the club finds its self in.
Evans just can't win on 11:15 - Mar 6 with 1395 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Evans just can't win on 11:10 - Mar 6 by Kieran_Knows

Me personally, there just needs to be some direction. There clearly isn't no structure, no planning, just everything feels for the 'here and now'. I think if there was a structure/plan, people would get behind it and may cut him a bit more slack (although I do think he gets away with a lot already). I know we'd never be a Brentford or Norwich/Huddersfield under Webber, but something a long those lines.

I've no problem with the club selling players, we are where we are, but it would be good if that money was reinvested and doing the same again. To me our scouting department seems quite pathetic, it feels very much more luck than actual judgement when we pick players up.

I saw Joe mention yesterday that releasing Skuse this summer would probably save the club somewhere around £200k, that money could be wisely invested in 3 or 4 key staff behind the scenes which would help us enormously, but very much doubt that would be the case.

Nail on Head

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Evans just can't win on 11:49 - Mar 6 with 1367 viewsitfcjoe

Evans just can't win on 11:10 - Mar 6 by Kieran_Knows

I think a bit unfair on recruitment - we are taken a more data driven approach alongside just scouts eyes from what I hear - and we had good business in the summer in reality:

KVY
Norwood
Holy
Judge
Keane

A pretty decent haul of permanent signings for a League 1 side

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Evans just can't win on 11:52 - Mar 6 with 1356 viewsKeaneish

The same subject matter re-written and re-posted time and time again. How dull.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Evans just can't win on 11:54 - Mar 6 with 1352 viewsGuthrum

Like most things, it is not so simple as one or the other.

I blame Evans less than many on here, feeling that he has been rather overtaken by wider changes (particularly rampant inflation) in English football, having blown his initial budget on a single big mistake - hiring Roy Keane. Plus he has, at least, kept the finances ticking over since then.

However, neither is he blameless. There was a lot he could have done much earlier in terms of communication, honestly, of the situation. Through a mouthpiece if he didn't want to do it personally, but not relying on the manager, whose words carry a different weighting. Would have been so much more effective in managing expectations and may have rallied the fans in a sort of siege mentality. Instead, there is just a feeling of neglect, even lack of interest.

It has taken him well over a decade to start putting right those things to which you refer. That's not very prompt or dynamic.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Evans just can't win on 11:55 - Mar 6 with 1349 viewsKieran_Knows

Evans just can't win on 11:49 - Mar 6 by itfcjoe

I think a bit unfair on recruitment - we are taken a more data driven approach alongside just scouts eyes from what I hear - and we had good business in the summer in reality:

KVY
Norwood
Holy
Judge
Keane

A pretty decent haul of permanent signings for a League 1 side

I'd agree with you on KVY. That's the type of player I was more thinking about. Sign for £500k, couple of good seasons, he'd go for £5m+, and then we'd go again (although I do also appreciate the market at League 2 level is expensive now also).

With the greatest of respects, Keane was already in the door (or had 1 foot in it), as was Judge, although I don't deny they're good signings for this level (however both have been relatively poor this season).

It's good to hear that maybe we are trying other 'avenues' with regards to recruitment and scouting, hopefully it's something that continues to improve in time and we reap the benefits of it both on the pitch, and financially.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Login to get fewer ads

Evans just can't win on 12:11 - Mar 6 with 1340 viewsBluefish

Evans just can't win on 11:54 - Mar 6 by Guthrum

Like most things, it is not so simple as one or the other.

I blame Evans less than many on here, feeling that he has been rather overtaken by wider changes (particularly rampant inflation) in English football, having blown his initial budget on a single big mistake - hiring Roy Keane. Plus he has, at least, kept the finances ticking over since then.

However, neither is he blameless. There was a lot he could have done much earlier in terms of communication, honestly, of the situation. Through a mouthpiece if he didn't want to do it personally, but not relying on the manager, whose words carry a different weighting. Would have been so much more effective in managing expectations and may have rallied the fans in a sort of siege mentality. Instead, there is just a feeling of neglect, even lack of interest.

It has taken him well over a decade to start putting right those things to which you refer. That's not very prompt or dynamic.

But without a time machine we can't change it. We should focus on things we change and things that will make the biggest difference

Evans can't be fired and he isn't the biggest current problem by some distance. Lambert must go now, Evans needs to continue improvements and investments

Evans just can't win on 12:23 - Mar 6 with 1331 viewsGuthrum

Evans just can't win on 12:11 - Mar 6 by Bluefish

But without a time machine we can't change it. We should focus on things we change and things that will make the biggest difference

Evans can't be fired and he isn't the biggest current problem by some distance. Lambert must go now, Evans needs to continue improvements and investments

Evans may have had a dramatic change of heart. But until there is a sustained body of evidence that he is acting and doing so effectively, then there is little reason to laud him for doing so.

Plus he is completely entwined in the problem of replacing Lambert, given most of his managerial selections have not worked out well (McCarthy was reportedly recommended by his predecessor Jewell). That is something which has still not been sorted out, but is vital to our future success.

Evans just can't win on 12:26 - Mar 6 with 1321 viewsBluefish

Evans just can't win on 12:23 - Mar 6 by Guthrum

Evans may have had a dramatic change of heart. But until there is a sustained body of evidence that he is acting and doing so effectively, then there is little reason to laud him for doing so.

Plus he is completely entwined in the problem of replacing Lambert, given most of his managerial selections have not worked out well (McCarthy was reportedly recommended by his predecessor Jewell). That is something which has still not been sorted out, but is vital to our future success.

Shouting in the wind is the way forward then

Evans just can't win on 12:30 - Mar 6 with 1312 viewsellerblue

Evans just can't win on 10:10 - Mar 6 by Oxford_Blue

I agree largely with that as I’ve said elsewhere.

I’ve asked / challenged people to state precisely what he has done or not done that has materially caused our current position. So far the answers are not allowing managers to spend more money in the 2015 and 2020 windows. Clearly that criticism relies on presumptions that Evans has the money, that the players were available and wanted to come (esp to a league one side) and that even if they had done so it would have made the significant difference claimed, when all the evidence of past big money signings shows they don’t work out. I’m sorry but this isn’t enough on its own to justify blaming Evans let alone wanting him out.

Sheepshanks didn’t invest in the club to anything like the extent Evans has. Evans has spent more money than anyone in the club’s history. The failure of the club is due to the decisions made by managers and their players on the pitch. None of Evan’s managerial appointments were terrible at the time they were made.

I am a bit confused by your stance as in your post of 12 Feb you advocate that Evans should actively seek a person to buy him out.

Heinsberg Blue

Evans just can't win on 12:40 - Mar 6 with 1297 viewsGuthrum

Evans just can't win on 12:26 - Mar 6 by Bluefish

Shouting in the wind is the way forward then

Making Evans aware that we expect him to do a better job is all part of trying to push the club in the right direction. Including in respect to the replacement of Lambert*.

* Which, in the absence of some near-miraculous turnaround, seems both necessary and inevitable.

Evans just can't win on 13:15 - Mar 6 with 1270 viewsRegencyBlue

Evans is the constant in our demise.

He clearly thought that he could make money out of a football club, he was looking to buy Southampton at the same time as us don't forget, and like many a mug before him has learned the hard way that he couldn't. Once that became clear to him there has been no coherent plan, no idea of what to do, just a litany of poor decisions that have ruined the club, on and off the pitch.

The club has been weakened year on year by Evans. He sets the operating parameters and it makes no difference long term who the manager is as they all have to operate with those. Relegation to League 1 was no surprise because it was the inevitable consequence for a club run this way. Hurst may have accelerated the process by a year or two but it was always going to happen. Going forward, relegation to League 2 looks more likely than most other scenarios if we carry on like this.

At the end of the day its Evans club and he can do what he likes with it but all I can see is more and more of the same so that's it for me. I have been wavering for the last few years about renewing my season tickets but have always found an excuse to do so when it came to it, but not this time! Its Evans club and he can destroy it if he wants but I am no longer prepared to pay for the 'privilege' of watching it happen. I have been attending Portman Road regularly for almost fifty years but I've had a gut full of Marcus Evans Ipswich Town.
Evans just can't win on 13:28 - Mar 6 with 1257 viewsOxford_Blue

Evans just can't win on 12:30 - Mar 6 by ellerblue

I am a bit confused by your stance as in your post of 12 Feb you advocate that Evans should actively seek a person to buy him out.

He should. But not as a result of making bad decisions - more because he lacks the financial resources to get the club into the premiership.
(No subject) (n/t) on 13:31 - Mar 6 with 1255 viewsOxford_Blue

Evans just can't win on 12:30 - Mar 6 by ellerblue

Wait till he's our new..... on 14:03 - Mar 6 with 1239 viewsBloots

Evans just can't win on 11:08 - Mar 6 by Lord_Lucan

Even then I can't remember anything but positivity - although I would say he may be the most underwhelming in the circumstances.

....Director of Football

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Evans just can't win on 15:23 - Mar 6 with 1198 viewsOxford_Blue

Evans just can't win on 11:14 - Mar 6 by r2d2

Ok , so he owns it. Then his decision making is inept then. He appoints the manager, he funds the club(supposedly). He doesnt back the manager with funds(see Mick, when we were top, see Lambert when we were top). He refuses to have a D.O.F instead having mouth pieces(Clegg, Milne and now O Neil), who just trot out spin that the supporters are supposed to take in.
He isnt responsible for performances on the pitch, but he has contributed to what we have on the pitch, old or crocked players that no one wants or wanted, because they are cheap. A few youngsters coming through who he will cash in on whenever possible.
That man has been in charge of the decline of this club, he has ruined it. He has overseen our lowest league position in 60 years. So l think he has got it wrong on numerous occasions which all helps to add up to the current mess (as you put it) the club finds its self in.

This has all been addressed before.

His managerial appointments were all reasonable at the time - either managers who had track records of getting teams up or younger managers whom the fans wanted at the time.

You say he supposedly invests money - don’t know what you mean but clearly he is subsidising the losses. He has made funds available to previous managers and they wasted the money. This season we have a high wage budget and the resources to compete and were top. None of this suggests a problem with Evans. It’s a problem with the football performances.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024