Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans 12:39 - Mar 8 with 15843 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

He’s bang on as per. The criticism of Evans is about far more than money. We have to want better as a club.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/the-verdict-ipswich-0-1-coventry-1-1-6551044

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 12:47 - Mar 8 with 5464 viewslongtimefan

“ Is it better that Paul, having spent 18 months getting to the core of the club's issues and witnessing first hand the physical and psychological deficiencies in his unbalanced squad, is entrusted as the man to rectify things rather than bringing in someone from the cold to do so?”

What evidence is there that PL has got to grips with anything? I’d say the evidence is that he blatantly hasn’t!
Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 12:49 - Mar 8 with 5442 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 12:47 - Mar 8 by longtimefan

“ Is it better that Paul, having spent 18 months getting to the core of the club's issues and witnessing first hand the physical and psychological deficiencies in his unbalanced squad, is entrusted as the man to rectify things rather than bringing in someone from the cold to do so?”

What evidence is there that PL has got to grips with anything? I’d say the evidence is that he blatantly hasn’t!

He has said on twitter he isn’t trying to defend Lambert he is just trying to put forward both sides of the story.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 12:49 - Mar 8 with 5440 viewsLankHenners

The stuff on Evans and the club is right but he argues against himself too much with Lambert. Regardless of how good you really think the squad is, it's better than bottom-third of the division form for most of the season. That's on the manager. Just watching the matches you can see the failure of the manager to implement anything. Again and again we've been bettered by teams with a clear way of playing with players knowing what they're doing, even if it's relatively basic.

Yes, the structure of the club is appalling and needs changing (especially as we're not loaded with money) but as a manager you can't just complain about it - it's your job to find a way around it. It's difficult, but Mick found a way. Holding ourselves to higher standards includes looking at the performance of the manager, seeing it's not good enough and getting rid. We deserve better than him.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 12:51 - Mar 8 with 5423 viewsjasondozzell

Another excellent piece. He is always measured and thoughtful but not afraid to be honest about shortcomings.

I have some sympathy for Lambert. I think he inherited a very unbalanced and poor squad. He said as much when he arrived. He's been battling Evans to get the investment and players he knows we need. Remember the argy bargy before we finally got KVY in?

Ripping everything up again with another manager is not going to magically fix things. I'd keep Lambert on and Evans needs to do all he can to help with recruitment over the summer.
Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 12:54 - Mar 8 with 5385 viewsArnieM

Was just about to post that link.

Wats9n is absolutely spot on, and tbh it makes you wonder if the fans targeting Lambert have got it right? Yes he’s made a monumental cock up of it this season. Maybe the squad being “ not good enough”, was his underlying reason for rotation , as he tried to find the best combination . And still does because the squad is big and bang average ( and largely Hursts?)

I desperately want PL to get it right. There is no point sacking him now. Nothing’s to be gained. Maybe we should all give PL a chance next season. See what he does over the summer with this current squad. ( clearly needs to cull it significantly).

We all make mistakes.
PL is very much limited by the owners approach AND the demands of FFP.

Perhaps giving PL a chance to redeem himself over the summer and 10 games into the new season. We should by then have an idea of the way things will be going.

Watson’s right. Lambert actually DOES care. You can see the hurt in his eyes right , if you actually look.

We can5 keep firing managers , that usually always ends one way. At some point we need to stick, and build over a period of time.

If people are honest, Town are simply not ready for a return to Championship yet.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 12:54 - Mar 8 with 5361 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 12:49 - Mar 8 by LankHenners

The stuff on Evans and the club is right but he argues against himself too much with Lambert. Regardless of how good you really think the squad is, it's better than bottom-third of the division form for most of the season. That's on the manager. Just watching the matches you can see the failure of the manager to implement anything. Again and again we've been bettered by teams with a clear way of playing with players knowing what they're doing, even if it's relatively basic.

Yes, the structure of the club is appalling and needs changing (especially as we're not loaded with money) but as a manager you can't just complain about it - it's your job to find a way around it. It's difficult, but Mick found a way. Holding ourselves to higher standards includes looking at the performance of the manager, seeing it's not good enough and getting rid. We deserve better than him.

He does say the league position is not good enough

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 12:56 - Mar 8 with 5338 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 12:51 - Mar 8 by jasondozzell

Another excellent piece. He is always measured and thoughtful but not afraid to be honest about shortcomings.

I have some sympathy for Lambert. I think he inherited a very unbalanced and poor squad. He said as much when he arrived. He's been battling Evans to get the investment and players he knows we need. Remember the argy bargy before we finally got KVY in?

Ripping everything up again with another manager is not going to magically fix things. I'd keep Lambert on and Evans needs to do all he can to help with recruitment over the summer.

We’ve got an unbalanced squad because we have about 30 ‘senior’ players.

Lambert can’t get a tune out of any of them.

Meanwhile teams like Accrington and Rochdale have a squad of 18 and have to throw in 16 year olds on occasion to cope and they get performances.

As bad as Evans has been, Lambert is essentially a king at this level with his wealth. He just cannot use it properly because he’s useless.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 12:59 - Mar 8 with 5301 viewsjasondozzell

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 12:54 - Mar 8 by ArnieM

Wats9n is absolutely spot on, and tbh it makes you wonder if the fans targeting Lambert have got it right? Yes he’s made a monumental cock up of it this season. Maybe the squad being “ not good enough”, was his underlying reason for rotation , as he tried to find the best combination . And still does because the squad is big and bang average ( and largely Hursts?)

I desperately want PL to get it right. There is no point sacking him now. Nothing’s to be gained. Maybe we should all give PL a chance next season. See what he does over the summer with this current squad. ( clearly needs to cull it significantly).

We all make mistakes.

Perhaps giving PL a chance to redeem himself over the summer and 10 games into the new season. We should by then have an idea of the way things will be going.

Watson’s right. Lambert actually DOES care. You can see the hurt in his eyes right , if you actually look.

We can5 keep firing managers , that usually always ends one way. At some point we need to stick, and build over a period of time.

If people are honest, Town are simply not ready for a return to Championship yet.

Excellent post. Club has got to stop thinking there's a quick term answer to a decade of mismanagement by Evans.

Lambert does care and I would much rather give him the time to build than rip everything up and hope we by some miracle land on a manager who can fix things with a click of the finger.

Lambert has been willing to stand up to Evans unlike Mick. Hurst talked about how much was wrong behind scenes. Lambert has the experience we need.
Login to get fewer ads

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 13:01 - Mar 8 with 5280 viewsDarth_Koont

Indeed. Evans shouldn't escape criticism for his tenure and "overseeing" a reversal in our fortunes. And arguably most of all for letting Hurst come in and rip everything up in a few short weeks.

But Lambert's had 18 months and a season in a lower league to stabilise the squad and get things back on track. But I'd say we're no closer to stabilising or getting back on track than when he started. And that despite having the time and the leeway to add to the squad.

Yes, Lambert inherited a bad situation but with the pressure off he doesn't appear to have taken it seriously enough. And it's only now when his lack of progress is being exposed that we're hearing the massaged excuses for that.

Yes, Evans has to take responsibility for the long-term and overall picture but I think Lambert and his coaching staff also need to take responsibility for their part and what they could control.

Pronouns: He/Him

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 13:02 - Mar 8 with 5261 viewsHerbivore

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 12:51 - Mar 8 by jasondozzell

I can't see any argument for keeping Lambert on. He's been an unmitigated failure. A good chunk of the squad are players he signed or re-signed and he can't get them playing. That's on him. Keeping him on would be a disaster.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 13:03 - Mar 8 with 5253 viewsbournemouthblue

In terms of tactics and balance, I'd certainly agree

Although I think we can easily forget that Lambert had a fairly good summer window

We should have invested in January, I know that could have been risky if it had backfired and that is how Evans ultimately saw it but we were looking at decent players. We were clearly scouting for an attacking midfield and were linked with Szmodics who has looked pretty good for Peterborough

We had Tommy Smith training with us who we potentially could have signed and he'd have been well worth bringing back potentially to be club captain next season?

Josh Earl may end up being a decent player but he surely isn't quite as good as Smith nor is he likely to be signed next season. Smith I'm sure would have joined us over Sunderland if we had made a serious offer but Lambert's hands were tied.

A more left field signing would be Liam Trotter who has returned from the US and would certainly rejoin if offered the chance. For me he'd probably work as a number 10, may actually win some headers and always seemed to have a goal in him.
[Post edited 8 Mar 2020 13:04]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 13:05 - Mar 8 with 5228 viewslongtimefan

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 12:59 - Mar 8 by jasondozzell

Excellent post. Club has got to stop thinking there's a quick term answer to a decade of mismanagement by Evans.

Lambert does care and I would much rather give him the time to build than rip everything up and hope we by some miracle land on a manager who can fix things with a click of the finger.

Lambert has been willing to stand up to Evans unlike Mick. Hurst talked about how much was wrong behind scenes. Lambert has the experience we need.

Mick may not have stood up to ME but he got a team to perform to a level greater than the sum of its parts, whereas we currently seem to have a team playing as a fraction of the sum of its parts.
Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 13:17 - Mar 8 with 5131 viewsHarry_Palmer

We all make mistakes.

No, no, no. He has not just failed, he has failed spectacularly.

He has to go.
Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 13:17 - Mar 8 with 5129 viewsjasondozzell

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 13:02 - Mar 8 by Herbivore

I can't see any argument for keeping Lambert on. He's been an unmitigated failure. A good chunk of the squad are players he signed or re-signed and he can't get them playing. That's on him. Keeping him on would be a disaster.

He's made mistakes and he's definitely failed this season. Can't argue with that. But think it would be very short sighted to think this season's failure has been down to Lambert alone or that it has mainly been Lambert's fault.

Yesterday only two of the starting 11 were his players.
He's clearly been pushing Marcus for help in the windows. We are still relying on signing injured players who have real ability but can't play more than 3 games in a row (Keane etc) or loans/frees.

We do play football under Lambert - the performers are toothless but nowhere near the mess when Jewell or Keane were at the end.

Lambert has been honest about the club's position and he's shown he can get a team playing good football. But we need help with recruitment. Norwood has been carrying a long term injury, Keane struggles for fitness, Sears has only just returned, Jackson has had a good season but is more of a wide forward than a striker. I think we have all probably been guilty of thinking we had am embarrassment of riches when actually we are unbalanced and lacking depth.
Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 13:20 - Mar 8 with 5099 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 13:02 - Mar 8 by Herbivore

I agree. Lambert has to go. But I worry how the next manager would do with this squad when we may not have Downes or Woolfy or Garbutt etc. It’s just a mess

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 13:21 - Mar 8 with 5092 viewsBent_double

We all make mistakes.

"If people are honest, Town are simply not ready for a return to Championship yet."

I'm more worried now about slipping into L2 in the next few seasons, rather than returning to the Championship.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 13:22 - Mar 8 with 5077 viewsjasondozzell

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 13:05 - Mar 8 by longtimefan

Mick may not have stood up to ME but he got a team to perform to a level greater than the sum of its parts, whereas we currently seem to have a team playing as a fraction of the sum of its parts.

That's true but Mick still had a decent enough calibre of player that allowed him to play a certain way. Players like Berra, Mcgoldrick, Hunt, Waghorn were experienced pros on decent wages and internationals.

The Hurst experiment went disastrously wrong and we were left with a really depleted squad. Lambert has inherited the weakest squad we've ever had under Evans.
Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 13:23 - Mar 8 with 5065 viewsBlueBadger

He DID give us back our club, come on now.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 13:23 - Mar 8 with 5060 viewsHerbivore

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 13:17 - Mar 8 by jasondozzell

He's made mistakes and he's definitely failed this season. Can't argue with that. But think it would be very short sighted to think this season's failure has been down to Lambert alone or that it has mainly been Lambert's fault.

Yesterday only two of the starting 11 were his players.
He's clearly been pushing Marcus for help in the windows. We are still relying on signing injured players who have real ability but can't play more than 3 games in a row (Keane etc) or loans/frees.

We do play football under Lambert - the performers are toothless but nowhere near the mess when Jewell or Keane were at the end.

Lambert has been honest about the club's position and he's shown he can get a team playing good football. But we need help with recruitment. Norwood has been carrying a long term injury, Keane struggles for fitness, Sears has only just returned, Jackson has had a good season but is more of a wide forward than a striker. I think we have all probably been guilty of thinking we had am embarrassment of riches when actually we are unbalanced and lacking depth.

This is the worst Town side I've ever seen and that is on Lambert I'm afraid. You like him, I get that, but there is no reason to persist with him. Whatever he had as a manager he clearly doesn't have it anymore. Time to get rid.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 13:26 - Mar 8 with 5033 viewslongtimefan

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 13:22 - Mar 8 by jasondozzell

That's true but Mick still had a decent enough calibre of player that allowed him to play a certain way. Players like Berra, Mcgoldrick, Hunt, Waghorn were experienced pros on decent wages and internationals.

The Hurst experiment went disastrously wrong and we were left with a really depleted squad. Lambert has inherited the weakest squad we've ever had under Evans.

True, but those were all people Mick brought in for little or no money!
Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 13:26 - Mar 8 with 5032 viewsjasondozzell

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 13:23 - Mar 8 by Herbivore

This is the worst Town side I've ever seen and that is on Lambert I'm afraid. You like him, I get that, but there is no reason to persist with him. Whatever he had as a manager he clearly doesn't have it anymore. Time to get rid.

I do understand that point of view on things. I mean it's been an unbelievably disappointing season. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree!

Whatever happens we've got to hope this summer goes well, whoever is in charge. If we don't get back up next season we could be down here for a long long time.
[Post edited 8 Mar 2020 13:27]
Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 13:29 - Mar 8 with 5000 viewsBlueBadger

We all make mistakes.

And yet again: Evans is ultimately responsible for us finding ourselves in the third division.
Lambert is responsible for the fact that we're now there for the long haul.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 13:29 - Mar 8 with 4984 viewsjeera

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 13:22 - Mar 8 by jasondozzell

" Mick still had a decent enough calibre of player"

Had? They didn't magically drop by - they were deliberately targeted. By him and his team.

Which is part of the job.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 13:32 - Mar 8 with 4966 viewsjasondozzell

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 13:26 - Mar 8 by longtimefan

True, but those were all people Mick brought in for little or no money!

Yeah - Mick had v good contacts and players wanted to play for him. But wages must have been fairly expensive.

I can remember sitting outside MK Dons stadium before ore season friendly there under Hurst and looking at rumours that Waghorn was off then and feeling a sinking feeling.

I understand that Evans has had his fingers burned and can't or won't invest large money now, but too often over three last 5 years we've sold our best players and not interested enough back into signings.

You can't lose Waghorn, Mcgoldrick and Garner and think that you can replace them on the cheap. Evans has done fairly well with incoming transfer fees - a bit more needed to go back into the team.
Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 13:33 - Mar 8 with 4943 viewsWD19

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 12:49 - Mar 8 by TRUE_BLUE123

He has said on twitter he isn’t trying to defend Lambert he is just trying to put forward both sides of the story.

A bit like Tariq Aziz used to!?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024