Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans 12:39 - Mar 8 with 15917 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

He’s bang on as per. The criticism of Evans is about far more than money. We have to want better as a club.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/the-verdict-ipswich-0-1-coventry-1-1-6551044

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 13:36 - Mar 8 with 5744 viewsBlueBadger

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 13:21 - Mar 8 by Bent_double

"If people are honest, Town are simply not ready for a return to Championship yet."

I'm more worried now about slipping into L2 in the next few seasons, rather than returning to the Championship.

Yeah, but the football will be better in L2, we'll win loads of games and there'll be lots of new grounds to go to. It'll be brilliant and we'll bounce back stronger.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 13:39 - Mar 8 with 5726 viewsBlueBadger

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 12:59 - Mar 8 by jasondozzell

Excellent post. Club has got to stop thinking there's a quick term answer to a decade of mismanagement by Evans.

Lambert does care and I would much rather give him the time to build than rip everything up and hope we by some miracle land on a manager who can fix things with a click of the finger.

Lambert has been willing to stand up to Evans unlike Mick. Hurst talked about how much was wrong behind scenes. Lambert has the experience we need.

What have you seen from Lambert that gives you any hope that he's is the man to do this?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 13:41 - Mar 8 with 5715 viewsBlueBadger

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 13:22 - Mar 8 by jasondozzell

That's true but Mick still had a decent enough calibre of player that allowed him to play a certain way. Players like Berra, Mcgoldrick, Hunt, Waghorn were experienced pros on decent wages and internationals.

The Hurst experiment went disastrously wrong and we were left with a really depleted squad. Lambert has inherited the weakest squad we've ever had under Evans.

...and managed to make it even worse.

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 13:46 - Mar 8 with 5693 viewsr2d2

Watson is bang on with what he says about Evans. Not sure he is right about Lambert. If he has had 18 months to get to the core of the problem, then he clearly still hasnt found it.Or he hasnt a clue what to do about it. As for fighting for money to spend on players, he hasnt really had much success. 500,000 for KVY was good businesses, but all the moaning in January didnt bear any fruit. Although someone got a 5 year contract and it all went quiet. Strange that. At the end of the day Lambert still has to go.
Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 13:51 - Mar 8 with 5683 viewsGuthrum

If he doesn't want to become fully hands on, maybe Evans ought to just give O'Neill a budget and full freedom of action. Perhaps that's sort of the idea. The question then becomes whether the latter is up to the task.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 13:53 - Mar 8 with 5682 viewsjasondozzell

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 13:39 - Mar 8 by BlueBadger

What have you seen from Lambert that gives you any hope that he's is the man to do this?

He has shown he understands problems at club are more than just on the pitch and has been part of starting to fix that.
He has got us playing some good football - even yesterday was a million miles more watchable than the stuff under Mick at the end.
His recruitment has been good. KVY, Garbutt, Earl, Wilson all decent signings.
Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 13:54 - Mar 8 with 5673 viewsjeera

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 13:51 - Mar 8 by Guthrum

If he doesn't want to become fully hands on, maybe Evans ought to just give O'Neill a budget and full freedom of action. Perhaps that's sort of the idea. The question then becomes whether the latter is up to the task.

Even if O'Neil isn't the one, the model itself would make far more sense.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 13:55 - Mar 8 with 5672 viewsjasondozzell

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 13:51 - Mar 8 by Guthrum

Good point. Would make more sense. Pressure on O'Neill but at least we might make decisions more quickly in transfer windows. Marcus insisting on being involved sometimes feels like he's just interested in haggling over wages and price to cut running costs as much as he can, not that he's thinking about building the team.
Login to get fewer ads

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 13:59 - Mar 8 with 5658 viewsWD19

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 13:02 - Mar 8 by Herbivore

I can't see any argument for keeping Lambert on. He's been an unmitigated failure. A good chunk of the squad are players he signed or re-signed and he can't get them playing. That's on him. Keeping him on would be a disaster.

“Is it down to Lambert not getting enough out of the players through man-management, tactics and generally trying to be too clever with rotation and call-offs?”

Yes. Yes it is. So hopefully that has cleared that one up.
Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 14:02 - Mar 8 with 5655 viewsJDB23

“ Strength in depth, quality of key men and size of budget (the annual wage bill is understood to be around £5.5m, which ranks as decent, but not mega in this division) have all probably been over-stated.”

Not sure where he’s got those numbers from but that is rather surprising. I remember in that other thread someone quoted Fleetwoods wage bill as £6m, maybe that athletic article wasn’t far off the truth...
Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 14:16 - Mar 8 with 5642 viewsitfcjoe

I think he’s right on Evans but feels as though he’s merely having to overplay being devils advocate for Lambert

I felt 6 weeks ago Lambert wasn’t the man to lead any rebuild, I don’t believe any fan thinks he is now. He simply can’t set up or coach a football team, and doesn’t know how to win games - a spent force.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 14:21 - Mar 8 with 5625 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 14:16 - Mar 8 by itfcjoe

I think he’s right on Evans but feels as though he’s merely having to overplay being devils advocate for Lambert

I felt 6 weeks ago Lambert wasn’t the man to lead any rebuild, I don’t believe any fan thinks he is now. He simply can’t set up or coach a football team, and doesn’t know how to win games - a spent force.

"He simply can’t set up or coach a football team, and doesn’t know how to win games."

I think you are 100% correct.

I think tactically he is a poor coach, 18 months he has been at thee club, hasn't developed a style or philosophy, still doesn't know his best formation, doesn't know his best XI.

It is actually frightening how he is still in the job, especially given he is currently boasting a record of 4 wins in 26.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 14:24 - Mar 8 with 5613 viewsKeaneish

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 13:23 - Mar 8 by BlueBadger

He DID give us back our club, come on now.

Command "C"; Command "V".

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 14:27 - Mar 8 with 5606 viewsHerbivore

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 13:53 - Mar 8 by jasondozzell

He has shown he understands problems at club are more than just on the pitch and has been part of starting to fix that.
He has got us playing some good football - even yesterday was a million miles more watchable than the stuff under Mick at the end.

Several of the worst Town performances I've ever witnessed have been under Lambert. It's a nonsense to say he's got us playing good football. He simply hasn't, we've been abject under him.

His signings have been very hit and miss. KVY looks decent although he's barely played. Other than that they've not really produced. Earl and Wilson are barely footballers on what I've seen and Garbutt has been off the boil for ages now.

There is literally nothing from Lambert to suggest he's the man to take us forward. He's been steadily making us worse.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 14:32 - Mar 8 with 5591 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 14:27 - Mar 8 by Herbivore

Several of the worst Town performances I've ever witnessed have been under Lambert. It's a nonsense to say he's got us playing good football. He simply hasn't, we've been abject under him.

His signings have been very hit and miss. KVY looks decent although he's barely played. Other than that they've not really produced. Earl and Wilson are barely footballers on what I've seen and Garbutt has been off the boil for ages now.

There is literally nothing from Lambert to suggest he's the man to take us forward. He's been steadily making us worse.

He's not playing good football. there are patches of good football, but I genuinely put that down to some of the players are good footballers at this level and have it within them to do so off the cuff.

However, it is evidential to see Paul Lambert is a poor coach.

Karl Robinson for me in the summer.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 15:02 - Mar 8 with 5536 viewsHARRY10

Blimey, someone who sees it as I do

No amount of waving bedsheets or howling to the moon is going to deal with cause of our slow demise over the past 15 years. And no deluding ourselves is all that is needed is a 'fire fighter' (Warnock0 who will come in and turn round our fortunes, almost overnight.

Ironically that has been the cause of our long failure. A oilicy that has focussed on instant success. No building for the long term future - but chuck everything at promotion. Hence managers being appointed who only appeared to have a promotion or two on the CV.

Watson mentions Delia and her lot. Remember that bond raised to upgrade their training facilities. How we laughed. The mugs who chipped in got that bonus, and saw 5 academy youngsters on the pitch against Spurs.

Meanwhile we had some fund raising scheme for our academy, which seeme to have fizzled out. And for all the youngsters hollerin' yesterday how many of them have seen one of our academy products make it as a keeper. If only on the bench. That's where the problems lies - among many other things.

So try to hound out Lambert. Cause another rift between fans and club as that us just what we need now. Whereas my thought is what we need is more patience and more open dialogue with the club. No more slogans, no more 5 point plans but someone telling us what has been achieved off the field and what is being done.

If there is a miracle worker out there who could transform us overnight then he would not be looking at an L1 club. So some should stop kidding themselves that we are only held back by the lack of this 'magic man'.

If the friggin' scum can do then so can we. But not by stamping our little feet and having a tantrum.
Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 15:10 - Mar 8 with 5512 viewsHerbivore

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 15:02 - Mar 8 by HARRY10

Blimey, someone who sees it as I do

No amount of waving bedsheets or howling to the moon is going to deal with cause of our slow demise over the past 15 years. And no deluding ourselves is all that is needed is a 'fire fighter' (Warnock0 who will come in and turn round our fortunes, almost overnight.

Ironically that has been the cause of our long failure. A oilicy that has focussed on instant success. No building for the long term future - but chuck everything at promotion. Hence managers being appointed who only appeared to have a promotion or two on the CV.

Watson mentions Delia and her lot. Remember that bond raised to upgrade their training facilities. How we laughed. The mugs who chipped in got that bonus, and saw 5 academy youngsters on the pitch against Spurs.

Meanwhile we had some fund raising scheme for our academy, which seeme to have fizzled out. And for all the youngsters hollerin' yesterday how many of them have seen one of our academy products make it as a keeper. If only on the bench. That's where the problems lies - among many other things.

So try to hound out Lambert. Cause another rift between fans and club as that us just what we need now. Whereas my thought is what we need is more patience and more open dialogue with the club. No more slogans, no more 5 point plans but someone telling us what has been achieved off the field and what is being done.

If there is a miracle worker out there who could transform us overnight then he would not be looking at an L1 club. So some should stop kidding themselves that we are only held back by the lack of this 'magic man'.

If the friggin' scum can do then so can we. But not by stamping our little feet and having a tantrum.

What nonsense.

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 15:23 - Mar 8 with 5478 viewshaynes_toe1

It's really concerning as a fanbase that we still have people who think Lambert should stay in charge. I get the whole sleepy Suffolk thing but we all know any other club in the country and Lambert would have been forced out a while ago. In fact, he may not have even been given the opportunity to royally mess this season up to the extent he has.

The fact Lambert "cares" is irrelevant- which one of our managers didn't care? What equates to caring anyway? Losing every week? I don't get it.

Also, look at our squad in terms of both value, size, and quality on paper. Now compare that to the 9 teams above us. There are teams with half the amount of players, half the resources full of aging league one and two journeyman that are better than us because the management have them structured and understanding their roles.

Also if anyone thinks we are playing better football under Lambert still you are deluded and theres no other way of putting it. We are in the third tier of English football and we can pass the ball under no pressure in our own half. The rest is worse than mick and the passing is ineffective anyway.
Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 15:27 - Mar 8 with 5465 viewsArnieM

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 13:02 - Mar 8 by Herbivore

I can't see any argument for keeping Lambert on. He's been an unmitigated failure. A good chunk of the squad are players he signed or re-signed and he can't get them playing. That's on him. Keeping him on would be a disaster.

So who do you suggest replaces him ? Bearing in mind it’ll be start all over again , so yet another season and a half settling in period for the new regime .

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 15:27 - Mar 8 with 5467 viewsJ2BLUE

Spot on about Evans.

Incredibly kind to Lambert. Too kind. He's simply wrong and probably writing that because he completely lacks faith in Evans to get rid of him.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 15:29 - Mar 8 with 5460 viewsgordon

I don't really see what the argument is for continuity with Lambert, when he quite clearly hasn't worked out a formation, system and first choice line-up.

The risk with a new manager is that they come in with new ideas which destabilises things unnecessarily - Lambert does that every week anyway.
Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 15:31 - Mar 8 with 5449 viewsHerbivore

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 15:27 - Mar 8 by ArnieM

So who do you suggest replaces him ? Bearing in mind it’ll be start all over again , so yet another season and a half settling in period for the new regime .

It shouldn't take 18 months to settle in. Most managers don't even get 18 months in a job these days. Not sure who I'd go for, maybe someone like Nathan Jones perhaps. I'm confident that there are many candidates that could do a better job than Lambert has done though, he's been a total car crash, sadly.

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 15:36 - Mar 8 with 5437 viewsHarry_Palmer

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 13:53 - Mar 8 by jasondozzell

Mick was playing against much better opposition in the league above, and getting results. That's the difference, and it's a big one.

Yesterday was crap, we had 6 shots in total and two on target. Skuse, Dozzell and Woolfenden playing pretty triangle's in their own half while Coventry sit off knowing we have no chance of getting near their goal is not my idea of 'watchable'

Earl and Wilson are not decent signings either, Earl has looked pretty poor to me and Wilson is just a bang average lower league plodder.
Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 15:37 - Mar 8 with 5434 viewsArnieM

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 15:31 - Mar 8 by Herbivore

It shouldn't take 18 months to settle in. Most managers don't even get 18 months in a job these days. Not sure who I'd go for, maybe someone like Nathan Jones perhaps. I'm confident that there are many candidates that could do a better job than Lambert has done though, he's been a total car crash, sadly.

Personally I feel 18 months is nothing when a whole Club has been allowed to rot to its very foundations.

If we had to replace I think I’d be trying to get Houghton. Currently not working .

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 15:43 - Mar 8 with 5409 viewsjeera

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 15:37 - Mar 8 by ArnieM

Personally I feel 18 months is nothing when a whole Club has been allowed to rot to its very foundations.

If we had to replace I think I’d be trying to get Houghton. Currently not working .

Well out of our league atm but understand the sentiment.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024