Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans 12:39 - Mar 8 with 15919 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

He’s bang on as per. The criticism of Evans is about far more than money. We have to want better as a club.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/the-verdict-ipswich-0-1-coventry-1-1-6551044

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 15:45 - Mar 8 with 4210 viewsHerbivore

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 15:37 - Mar 8 by ArnieM

Personally I feel 18 months is nothing when a whole Club has been allowed to rot to its very foundations.

If we had to replace I think I’d be trying to get Houghton. Currently not working .

I can't see Houghton dropping down to this level. As I say, most managers don't get 18 months let alone 18 months to settle into the job. Lambert has shown no sign at all that he can improve us. He's taking us backwards.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 15:48 - Mar 8 with 4212 viewsitfcjoe

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 15:45 - Mar 8 by Herbivore

I can't see Houghton dropping down to this level. As I say, most managers don't get 18 months let alone 18 months to settle into the job. Lambert has shown no sign at all that he can improve us. He's taking us backwards.

People can talk all they want about the state of the club, but even Ian Milne understood it is 90%+ about what happens on the pitch.

We are finally at a stage when things are going in the right direction off the pitch, very slowly admittedly, but no one gives a toss because we are utter toilet on it.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 15:49 - Mar 8 with 4204 viewsHerbivore

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 15:48 - Mar 8 by itfcjoe

People can talk all they want about the state of the club, but even Ian Milne understood it is 90%+ about what happens on the pitch.

We are finally at a stage when things are going in the right direction off the pitch, very slowly admittedly, but no one gives a toss because we are utter toilet on it.

Yep. Things being better off the pitch means very little when we're utter dross on it. And with no sign of improvement either, quite the opposite in fact.

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 15:53 - Mar 8 with 4191 viewsBlueBadger

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 15:29 - Mar 8 by gordon

I don't really see what the argument is for continuity with Lambert, when he quite clearly hasn't worked out a formation, system and first choice line-up.

The risk with a new manager is that they come in with new ideas which destabilises things unnecessarily - Lambert does that every week anyway.

Yes, but he's given us our football club back and the football is better now.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 15:54 - Mar 8 with 4188 viewsBlueBadger

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 13:53 - Mar 8 by jasondozzell

He has shown he understands problems at club are more than just on the pitch and has been part of starting to fix that.
He has got us playing some good football - even yesterday was a million miles more watchable than the stuff under Mick at the end.
His recruitment has been good. KVY, Garbutt, Earl, Wilson all decent signings.

Trouble is, he's done f*ck all to suggest that the problems that ARE his job could be fixed by his continuing employment.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 16:02 - Mar 8 with 4167 viewsHARRY10

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 15:37 - Mar 8 by ArnieM

Personally I feel 18 months is nothing when a whole Club has been allowed to rot to its very foundations.

If we had to replace I think I’d be trying to get Houghton. Currently not working .

Exactly.

The delusion that there is this magic man out there who can come in get us promoted, all the while sorting out 15 years of mismanagement,

Similarly that we have the best squad in the league who are only failing because the manager doesn't set them up right - as if it was a cricket team, fielding.

Next time you watch a game, note how players are all over the pitch, depending on where the ball is an the opposition are. At no point wil you see these idiotic 'formations'.

Watch yesterdays highlight in the few seconds leading up to the goal and tell me what 'formation' there was then. Because I can point to players ball watching, not marking and generally not committed.And no amount of 'setting up' can change that.

We have a squad too full of these type of players. Those that other clubs don't want. So what to do. Drop them... and face howls of outrage for changing the team. Sell them, when no one else wants them. Or persevere until their contract runs out.

But then that would require some on here and at PR to accept that 15 years of mismanagement is going to take a while to clear up - and the delusion that we would automatically go up was something they brought on themselves.
Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 16:04 - Mar 8 with 4158 viewsHerbivore

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 16:02 - Mar 8 by HARRY10

Exactly.

The delusion that there is this magic man out there who can come in get us promoted, all the while sorting out 15 years of mismanagement,

Similarly that we have the best squad in the league who are only failing because the manager doesn't set them up right - as if it was a cricket team, fielding.

Next time you watch a game, note how players are all over the pitch, depending on where the ball is an the opposition are. At no point wil you see these idiotic 'formations'.

Watch yesterdays highlight in the few seconds leading up to the goal and tell me what 'formation' there was then. Because I can point to players ball watching, not marking and generally not committed.And no amount of 'setting up' can change that.

We have a squad too full of these type of players. Those that other clubs don't want. So what to do. Drop them... and face howls of outrage for changing the team. Sell them, when no one else wants them. Or persevere until their contract runs out.

But then that would require some on here and at PR to accept that 15 years of mismanagement is going to take a while to clear up - and the delusion that we would automatically go up was something they brought on themselves.

Yeah, this is defo on the fans.

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 16:06 - Mar 8 with 4155 viewsBlueBadger

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 14:24 - Mar 8 by Keaneish

Command "C"; Command "V".

It's not my fault that people won't see what's in front of them, namely PAUL LAMBERT IS A TERRIBLE MANAGER WHO IS STILL MANAGING TO FOOL YOU THAT HE'S SOMEHOW COMPETENT DESPITE NO EVIDENCE OTHER THAN A FEW INTERVIEWS AND THE ODD FREE PINT.

Login to get fewer ads

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 16:08 - Mar 8 with 4144 viewsFunge

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 16:04 - Mar 8 by Herbivore

Yeah, this is defo on the fans.

I don't understand the posters point here, Herbs.

The owner, manager and players are all failing by a fairly seismic margin, and it's somehow the fans fault?
Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 16:11 - Mar 8 with 4132 viewsBlueBadger

Exactly.

It wasn't '15 years of mismanagement' that made Lambert constantly rotate the squad, formation and system so players don't have a chance to form partnerships and understandings and cut out the kind of 'after you Claude' goals we saw yesterday, it wasn't '15 years of mismanagement' that failed to coach the players into any kind of coherent unit, it wasn't '15 years of mismanagement' that keeps buying picking and fielding these terrible players, it wasn't '15 years of mismanagement' that failed to coach these players out of making the same kind of stupid errors week in week out, it wasn't '15 years of mismanagement' that has utterly failed to motivate these players despite some nice after-match interviews.
Sure, the lack of investment and attention to detail have seen us in the the third division, but the past 18 months of utterly gutless, directionless on the field management have condemned us to a long stay in it.
[Post edited 8 Mar 2020 16:13]

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 16:14 - Mar 8 with 4124 viewsBlueBadger

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 15:23 - Mar 8 by haynes_toe1

It's really concerning as a fanbase that we still have people who think Lambert should stay in charge. I get the whole sleepy Suffolk thing but we all know any other club in the country and Lambert would have been forced out a while ago. In fact, he may not have even been given the opportunity to royally mess this season up to the extent he has.

The fact Lambert "cares" is irrelevant- which one of our managers didn't care? What equates to caring anyway? Losing every week? I don't get it.

Also, look at our squad in terms of both value, size, and quality on paper. Now compare that to the 9 teams above us. There are teams with half the amount of players, half the resources full of aging league one and two journeyman that are better than us because the management have them structured and understanding their roles.

Also if anyone thinks we are playing better football under Lambert still you are deluded and theres no other way of putting it. We are in the third tier of English football and we can pass the ball under no pressure in our own half. The rest is worse than mick and the passing is ineffective anyway.

In all fairness, there's still poeple on here who'll defend the likes of Keane as well. I don't get it. Mullet over some time, you simply can't Mach sense of it.

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 16:16 - Mar 8 with 4122 viewsHerbivore

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 16:08 - Mar 8 by Funge

I don't understand the posters point here, Herbs.

The owner, manager and players are all failing by a fairly seismic margin, and it's somehow the fans fault?

He thinks Lambert is competent because he managed in the PL once and so it must be everyone else's fault that we've been terrible with Lambert as manager. He believes that if we persist then Lambert will come good, despite no evidence to support such a position, and that it will be on the fans if we hound him out and don't improve.
[Post edited 8 Mar 2020 16:17]

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 19:09 - Mar 8 with 4026 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 13:32 - Mar 8 by jasondozzell

Yeah - Mick had v good contacts and players wanted to play for him. But wages must have been fairly expensive.

I can remember sitting outside MK Dons stadium before ore season friendly there under Hurst and looking at rumours that Waghorn was off then and feeling a sinking feeling.

I understand that Evans has had his fingers burned and can't or won't invest large money now, but too often over three last 5 years we've sold our best players and not interested enough back into signings.

You can't lose Waghorn, Mcgoldrick and Garner and think that you can replace them on the cheap. Evans has done fairly well with incoming transfer fees - a bit more needed to go back into the team.

And Webster, our best defender in years.

Nothing wrong with changing manager frequently if it is clear it is not working.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 19:13 - Mar 8 with 4027 viewsjas0999

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 12:47 - Mar 8 by longtimefan

“ Is it better that Paul, having spent 18 months getting to the core of the club's issues and witnessing first hand the physical and psychological deficiencies in his unbalanced squad, is entrusted as the man to rectify things rather than bringing in someone from the cold to do so?”

What evidence is there that PL has got to grips with anything? I’d say the evidence is that he blatantly hasn’t!

Agreed. PL needs to go.
Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 19:44 - Mar 8 with 3994 viewsClareBlue

Would Mr Evans being at the match made any difference? of course not, so that is not a valid point. Owners of football clubs have to spend their time making money to finance players on 10K a week who won't challenge for a header and employ others to run the club and the team. They can not be full time running a club because all the club does is drain money from other sources. Even Jack Walker's family got to this stage and they absolutely loved owning Blackburn.

Has Mr Evans been shown to not be good when appointing those people to run the club? of course he has. He has been spoofed by some of the biggest spoofers in football. Once was unfortunate, but even he must see a pattern developing.

Is it a good thing to 'push back' at the owner as a manager if you need more resources. As per any manager, if you want extra resources you have to be able to justify them, demonstrate they will benefit the organisation and show you can use the resources effectively. If anyone would trust their money to be effectively and efficiently used for the good of the organisation by Mr Lambert then you are as dilusional as he is. If Mr Lamber came out and said we are not good enough and I know it, but this is the plan and this is what I need, then we might move with him. But he comes out with utter rubbish that takes us for fools and passively agressively implies that knowbody has a valid opinion except him because they didn't play for...bla, bla, bla, bla
If he is in a results business then he should have been sacked months ago,
If he is in a PR/motivation business then he should have been sacked months ago
If he is employed for his tactical ability then bye bye
If he is employed to implement a long term plan then what is it and why can he not explain it to us?
If he is employed for any other reason then let us know and we can get behind him

But the best outcome would be that he was not employed by Ipswich Town. Won 21 of our last 78 games under PL - how many managers would still be employed with that record
Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 19:56 - Mar 8 with 3974 viewstractorboy1978

Exactly.

"No amount of setting up can change that"

Nonsense. We play with absolutely no shape with or without the ball. So many teams have come to PR this season and been set up far better than us in and out of possession. It's hardly surprising that the players often look all over the place when the manager seems to be changing the way we are playing on an almost weekly basis with players playing out of position.

These players are playing in L1 for a reason, they need to be drilled and need to be told what their role is and how they are expected to play it.

Just using Woolfenden as an example - this season he has played RB, right sided CB in a back 2, left sided CB in a back 2, centre of a back 3, right in a back 3, left in a back 3, over lapping left sided centre half in a back 3. It is the story of several other players seasons too - it can hardly be a shock we don't look cohesive.
Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 20:34 - Mar 8 with 3941 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 12:54 - Mar 8 by ArnieM

Was just about to post that link.

Wats9n is absolutely spot on, and tbh it makes you wonder if the fans targeting Lambert have got it right? Yes he’s made a monumental cock up of it this season. Maybe the squad being “ not good enough”, was his underlying reason for rotation , as he tried to find the best combination . And still does because the squad is big and bang average ( and largely Hursts?)

I desperately want PL to get it right. There is no point sacking him now. Nothing’s to be gained. Maybe we should all give PL a chance next season. See what he does over the summer with this current squad. ( clearly needs to cull it significantly).

We all make mistakes.
PL is very much limited by the owners approach AND the demands of FFP.

Perhaps giving PL a chance to redeem himself over the summer and 10 games into the new season. We should by then have an idea of the way things will be going.

Watson’s right. Lambert actually DOES care. You can see the hurt in his eyes right , if you actually look.

We can5 keep firing managers , that usually always ends one way. At some point we need to stick, and build over a period of time.

If people are honest, Town are simply not ready for a return to Championship yet.

League starts by players signed by Paul Hurst: 80

League starts by players signed by Paul Lambert: 153

The squad is clearly Lamberts - the majority of our leading appearance makers were either signed by or have been given new contract extensions by him

The idea that he will learn from his mistakes is incredibly optimistic too. He’s an experienced manager of 10+ years, not a rookie that is learning on the job. And one that has only experienced failure for a long time now

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 20:37 - Mar 8 with 3930 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 13:17 - Mar 8 by jasondozzell

He's made mistakes and he's definitely failed this season. Can't argue with that. But think it would be very short sighted to think this season's failure has been down to Lambert alone or that it has mainly been Lambert's fault.

Yesterday only two of the starting 11 were his players.
He's clearly been pushing Marcus for help in the windows. We are still relying on signing injured players who have real ability but can't play more than 3 games in a row (Keane etc) or loans/frees.

We do play football under Lambert - the performers are toothless but nowhere near the mess when Jewell or Keane were at the end.

Lambert has been honest about the club's position and he's shown he can get a team playing good football. But we need help with recruitment. Norwood has been carrying a long term injury, Keane struggles for fitness, Sears has only just returned, Jackson has had a good season but is more of a wide forward than a striker. I think we have all probably been guilty of thinking we had am embarrassment of riches when actually we are unbalanced and lacking depth.

Lambert has signed 17 players since he has been here. That only 2 started yesterday is a damning indictment, not something to excuse him for

Not sure how you conclude that things are better than the end under Jewell or Keane. The current run rivals anything they achieved, but in a much weaker division

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 22:18 - Mar 8 with 3872 viewsDoctor_Earman

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 12:51 - Mar 8 by jasondozzell

Another excellent piece. He is always measured and thoughtful but not afraid to be honest about shortcomings.

I have some sympathy for Lambert. I think he inherited a very unbalanced and poor squad. He said as much when he arrived. He's been battling Evans to get the investment and players he knows we need. Remember the argy bargy before we finally got KVY in?

Ripping everything up again with another manager is not going to magically fix things. I'd keep Lambert on and Evans needs to do all he can to help with recruitment over the summer.

I agree that the squad PL inherited was incredibly unbalanced. He's gone some way to fixing that but it's still not great. IMO shipping players out is just as important as getting new ones in. Perennial failures and underachievers such as Skuse, Keane, Judge, Nolan etc. are on big wages and are effectively blocking the progress of our younger prospects like Dozzell, El Mizouni, Dobra, Simpson etc. Let's get rid of the overpaid failures and let the younger guys have prolonged runs in the team complemented by a few astute signings in the summer. Can they really do much worse at this point?
Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 08:45 - Mar 9 with 3776 viewsNo9

He is correct when he says PL identified the problem with the squad / players since he came in.
It is obvious that PL is making that clear what is not obvious is whether or not Mr E is listening to PL or to others.

Mr E is in a bind and that isn't good for anyone
Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 08:46 - Mar 9 with 3770 viewsHerbivore

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 08:45 - Mar 9 by No9

He is correct when he says PL identified the problem with the squad / players since he came in.
It is obvious that PL is making that clear what is not obvious is whether or not Mr E is listening to PL or to others.

Mr E is in a bind and that isn't good for anyone

Thing is, it's hard to make a case to your boss that the organisation is no good when you're incapable of doing your own role competently. Lambert is a terrible manager, sadly. He needs to go if we are to progress.

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 08:49 - Mar 9 with 3760 viewsNo9

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 08:46 - Mar 9 by Herbivore

Thing is, it's hard to make a case to your boss that the organisation is no good when you're incapable of doing your own role competently. Lambert is a terrible manager, sadly. He needs to go if we are to progress.

You've missed the point haven't you?
Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 08:53 - Mar 9 with 3754 viewsHerbivore

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 08:49 - Mar 9 by No9

You've missed the point haven't you?

No.

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 09:39 - Mar 9 with 3721 viewspatrickswell

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 16:16 - Mar 8 by Herbivore

He thinks Lambert is competent because he managed in the PL once and so it must be everyone else's fault that we've been terrible with Lambert as manager. He believes that if we persist then Lambert will come good, despite no evidence to support such a position, and that it will be on the fans if we hound him out and don't improve.
[Post edited 8 Mar 2020 16:17]

And he also seems to believe that fans get upset and “stamp their little feet and have a tantrum” in the manner of a Liverpool fan wanting Klopp sacked after their 2 recent losses rather than 7 defeats in 9 at League One level being symptomatic of a decade long decline across the football club.

Spoilt brats that we are sitting through 4 of our last 5 managers making an abject failure of what they’re doing and hundreds of players coming through who’d be candidates for worst Xl all under an owner who has let basic standards of care slip and who sat on his hands during the one period of his ownership that we were competitive. I’m going for a shower to see if I can wash the over-entitlement off myself.
Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 11:10 - Mar 9 with 3688 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Stuart Watson on Marcus Evans on 08:46 - Mar 9 by Herbivore

Surely that is only true if you couldn't see that the boss of the organisation has been poor over the last how ever many years. I do agree that Lambert as a coach is useless and has the tactical knowledge resembling many on here, but he can see as many of us believe that there has been mismanagement off the pitch for years that has set us back years. IMO that is the only good thing PL has done.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024