Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 16:23 - Mar 11 with 9927 viewsStokieBlue

Greece closed all their schools with only 89 cases. Poland did the same with about 40 cases and now Ukraine has done the same with 1 case.

"Another European country is taking drastic measures to curb the spread of coronavirus. Despite only having one confirmed case to date, Ukraine has said it is closing all educational institutions (which also includes nurseries and universities) from tomorrow until 3 April, the Kyiv Post reports.

It also says that gatherings of more than 200 people will be banned. The country has only tested 43 people, 41 of whom have tested negative, with one still being examined."

Do people think we are being too cautious with making big decisions or is the alleged "data-driven" decisions made by the government more sensible?

Closing the schools after 1 case seems very draconian but it might prevent a much bigger outbreak.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 19:45 - Mar 11 with 810 viewsjeera

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 19:37 - Mar 11 by itfcjoe

A few hundred cases in Madrid, and there are a few thousand from Madrid in Liverpool for the night for the football with no checks in place before boarding etc

That sort of thing is mental

That's insane as things stand.

Ffs, you'd think international travel for sports events would be one of the first things to be addressed.

If as few as 10 carriers were present, what could that become by the end of the evening?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 19:47 - Mar 11 with 808 viewsitfcjoe

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 19:41 - Mar 11 by StokieBlue

More than 1000 cases in Madrid now I believe?

SB

Yep, Madrid is locked down but yet there are 3,000 Atletico fans in Liverpool tonight, presumably mostly from there

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 19:50 - Mar 11 with 790 viewsRadlett_blue

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 19:47 - Mar 11 by itfcjoe

Yep, Madrid is locked down but yet there are 3,000 Atletico fans in Liverpool tonight, presumably mostly from there

Yes, I said that banning large gatherings such as domestic sporting events is largely a cosmetic exercise, but allowing international travel by large numbers of people to watch sport seems plain stupid.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 19:51 - Mar 11 with 785 viewsStokieBlue

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 19:47 - Mar 11 by itfcjoe

That is absolutely bonkers.

Sometimes you wonder what on earth the powers that be are playing at.

SB

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 19:53 - Mar 11 with 778 viewsStokieBlue

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 19:42 - Mar 11 by gordon

Average temp in Tehran is about 14-18 degrees at this time of year, and higher in both UAE and Qatar where it also looks to be spreading effectively.

Indeed, as I said, there is no overall consensus at the moment.

When they say hotter temperatures they are talking mid 20's plus I believe but even then it's doing OK in Singapore, Malaysia etc which is over that every day.

It only makes a difference to viruses which are sitting on a surface.

SB

We'e being complacent,the US are being incompetent on 19:53 - Mar 11 with 771 viewsunstableblue

We'e being complacent,the US are being incompetent on 19:33 - Mar 11 by Radlett_blue

We will almost certainly have 10,000 cases in the UK within the next fortnight. Banning large non-essential gatherings is largely cosmetic - you will only really stop the spread if you put the whole country into lock-down, which would have dire economic effects.

Don't agree. They had a WHO expert on CH4 news and she 'politely' suggested the UK is making a mistake on large gathering, as it is the use of common surfaces, common bathrooms, common handrails, limited access to hand washing, that drives higher transmission.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 19:53 - Mar 11 with 777 viewshype313

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 19:42 - Mar 11 by gordon

Average temp in Tehran is about 14-18 degrees at this time of year, and higher in both UAE and Qatar where it also looks to be spreading effectively.

Australia is in summer and it's not slowing down there either.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 19:54 - Mar 11 with 775 viewsgordon

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 19:50 - Mar 11 by Radlett_blue

Yes, I said that banning large gatherings such as domestic sporting events is largely a cosmetic exercise, but allowing international travel by large numbers of people to watch sport seems plain stupid.

Not sure there's evidence that banning large gatherings is a cosmetic exercise, but completely agree that having large numbers of people into the UK from Madrid is absurd given the situation.
Login to get fewer ads

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 19:54 - Mar 11 with 777 viewsitfcjoe

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 19:51 - Mar 11 by StokieBlue

SB

Whereas Arsenal v Man City is cancelled because the Arsenal team met the Forest owner a couple of weeks back - despite no Arsenal players showing symptons, being isolated or even tested.

And the Forest owner owns Olympiakos but they are playing Wolves this week after Wolves tried to get the game called off due to him having been with the team

This is why it will spread, because there is no consistency applied across boarders

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 19:56 - Mar 11 with 770 viewsgiant_stow

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 19:51 - Mar 11 by StokieBlue

SB

Makes me wonder if the plan is for the country to take its dose of virus in one hit and move on quicker than others.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

We'e being complacent,the US are being incompetent on 19:57 - Mar 11 with 768 viewsJ2BLUE

We'e being complacent,the US are being incompetent on 19:53 - Mar 11 by unstableblue

Don't agree. They had a WHO expert on CH4 news and she 'politely' suggested the UK is making a mistake on large gathering, as it is the use of common surfaces, common bathrooms, common handrails, limited access to hand washing, that drives higher transmission.

When you think of all the hard surfaces we use...trolley handles, cash machines etc. How can it be stopped?

I've been keeping anti bacterial wipes in the car and wiping down trolley handles. No idea if that's making any difference.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

We'e being complacent,the US are being incompetent on 20:00 - Mar 11 with 752 viewsjeera

We'e being complacent,the US are being incompetent on 19:57 - Mar 11 by J2BLUE

When you think of all the hard surfaces we use...trolley handles, cash machines etc. How can it be stopped?

I've been keeping anti bacterial wipes in the car and wiping down trolley handles. No idea if that's making any difference.

I went to Tesco yesterday (chap in there said the morning had been like Xmas - madness), and as you say I eyed the trolly with suspicion.

I washed my hands when I got back to the car but I tend to anyway as thousands of people touch those things every week.

But then you've already been handling the food in the shop and then the bags...

You can't sterilise everything, it just isn't possible. You can only do your best.

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 20:00 - Mar 11 with 754 viewsStokieBlue

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 19:56 - Mar 11 by giant_stow

Makes me wonder if the plan is for the country to take its dose of virus in one hit and move on quicker than others.

No guarantee that would work. Reports of people getting infected more than once in China and Japan.

SB

We'e being complacent,the US are being incompetent on 20:01 - Mar 11 with 743 viewsStokieBlue

We'e being complacent,the US are being incompetent on 19:57 - Mar 11 by J2BLUE

The thing is, you can do what you can but you also can't become obsessive and not touch anything or wipe every single surface down.

Sometimes you are unlucky and you might get it - at the moment the odds are you won't. Obviously that can change over time.

SB

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 20:02 - Mar 11 with 737 viewsgiant_stow

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 20:00 - Mar 11 by StokieBlue

No guarantee that would work. Reports of people getting infected more than once in China and Japan.

SB

wonderful news. lummy.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

We'e being complacent,the US are being incompetent on 20:03 - Mar 11 with 730 viewsfooters

We'e being complacent,the US are being incompetent on 20:00 - Mar 11 by jeera

I went to Tesco yesterday (chap in there said the morning had been like Xmas - madness), and as you say I eyed the trolly with suspicion.

I washed my hands when I got back to the car but I tend to anyway as thousands of people touch those things every week.

You can't sterilise everything, it just isn't possible. You can only do your best.

footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

We'e being complacent,the US are being incompetent on 20:05 - Mar 11 with 724 viewsJ2BLUE

We'e being complacent,the US are being incompetent on 20:00 - Mar 11 by jeera

Sainsburys was pretty quiet.

Me and my mum bought 5 9 packs of toilet rolls between us and were asked if we were stockpiling. Really we were buying for several people who haven't been able to get any because of others stockpiling.

Also got mildly reprimanded in the local pharmacy for getting two hand gels on click and collect and putting another order in for two more in my mum's name. She collected hers and they are genuinely for her and my brother.

Why not get annoyed at people actually emptying shelves?

Truly impaired.

We'e being complacent,the US are being incompetent on 20:05 - Mar 11 with 724 viewsStokieBlue

We'e being complacent,the US are being incompetent on 20:03 - Mar 11 by footers

Strong Simpsons game as always.

SB

We'e being complacent,the US are being incompetent on 20:18 - Mar 11 with 698 viewsfooters

We'e being complacent,the US are being incompetent on 20:05 - Mar 11 by StokieBlue

Strong Simpsons game as always.

SB

It's all those Powersauce bars I've been eating...

footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 20:27 - Mar 11 with 675 viewsGuthrum

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 20:00 - Mar 11 by StokieBlue

SB

They now think the multiple infection case in Japan was somebody who had a temporary lull in the disease and tested what was essentially a false negative in the middle of that, before their condition worsened again. Rather than a true second infection of someone who had genuinely recovered.

There's still only that one Japanese case and possibly a very small number in China. If it were genuinely possible to catch it again, they'd expect it to happen more often.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

We'e being complacent,the US are being incompetent on 20:31 - Mar 11 with 665 viewsjeera

We'e being complacent,the US are being incompetent on 20:05 - Mar 11 by J2BLUE

Sainsburys was pretty quiet.

Me and my mum bought 5 9 packs of toilet rolls between us and were asked if we were stockpiling. Really we were buying for several people who haven't been able to get any because of others stockpiling.

Also got mildly reprimanded in the local pharmacy for getting two hand gels on click and collect and putting another order in for two more in my mum's name. She collected hers and they are genuinely for her and my brother.

Why not get annoyed at people actually emptying shelves?

They'd sold out of my favourite porridge.

I was right pissed off.

Why don't they stick their panic buying to the usual crap they like and leave my organic, chunky one alone?

Bunch of ****s.

We'e being complacent,the US are being incompetent on 20:33 - Mar 11 with 656 viewsJ2BLUE

We'e being complacent,the US are being incompetent on 20:31 - Mar 11 by jeera

I was right pissed off.

Why don't they stick their panic buying to the usual crap they like and leave my organic, chunky one alone?

Bunch of ****s.

I rediscovered Ready Brek yesterday. I think I might be a child.

Truly impaired.

We'e being complacent,the US are being incompetent on 20:34 - Mar 11 with 655 viewsjeera

We'e being complacent,the US are being incompetent on 20:18 - Mar 11 by footers

It's all those Powersauce bars I've been eating...

So is that where our mutual friend gets his username from?

I'm not up on the Simpsons so some of this is a bit new to me.

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 20:39 - Mar 11 with 643 viewsStokieBlue

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 20:27 - Mar 11 by Guthrum

They now think the multiple infection case in Japan was somebody who had a temporary lull in the disease and tested what was essentially a false negative in the middle of that, before their condition worsened again. Rather than a true second infection of someone who had genuinely recovered.

There's still only that one Japanese case and possibly a very small number in China. If it were genuinely possible to catch it again, they'd expect it to happen more often.

Fair enough, I've not seen anything for a while. However last I saw the rate was 14% in some areas of China:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-reinfection-explainer/explainer-

Given the low numbers elsewhere until recently it's unlikely that if the reinfection rate was 14% that it would have been caught - it would not have been many people. More data needed I think.

SB

We'e being complacent,the US are being incompetent on 20:42 - Mar 11 with 633 viewsStokieBlue

We'e being complacent,the US are being incompetent on 20:31 - Mar 11 by jeera

I was right pissed off.

Bunch of ****s.

Well the Americans seem to be turned to what they know best and suing people:

A Florida couple onboard a cruise ship stricken with the coronavirus has filed a $1m lawsuit against the boat’s operator, Princess Cruises, for failing to protect passengers amid the global Covid-19 outbreak.

What a pair of selfish tools.

SB

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024