Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 16:23 - Mar 11 with 9923 viewsStokieBlue

Greece closed all their schools with only 89 cases. Poland did the same with about 40 cases and now Ukraine has done the same with 1 case.

"Another European country is taking drastic measures to curb the spread of coronavirus. Despite only having one confirmed case to date, Ukraine has said it is closing all educational institutions (which also includes nurseries and universities) from tomorrow until 3 April, the Kyiv Post reports.

It also says that gatherings of more than 200 people will be banned. The country has only tested 43 people, 41 of whom have tested negative, with one still being examined."

Do people think we are being too cautious with making big decisions or is the alleged "data-driven" decisions made by the government more sensible?

Closing the schools after 1 case seems very draconian but it might prevent a much bigger outbreak.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 20:43 - Mar 11 with 1214 viewsGuthrum

Part of the issue is where people are catching it from. If all the emerging cases have some sort of link to known, external hotspots (Wuhan, Northern Italy, Iran, cruise ships, etc.) or previously infected people who had such a direct link (e.g. family members) then that shows containment is still working.

Once a majority of new cases are from in-country infection, then it has broken out and containment no longer works. More drastic measures need to be taken to them slow down the further spread.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

We'e being complacent,the US are being incompetent on 20:44 - Mar 11 with 1209 viewsjeera

We'e being complacent,the US are being incompetent on 20:33 - Mar 11 by J2BLUE

I rediscovered Ready Brek yesterday. I think I might be a child.

There were loads of those Scots oats things and other over processed stuff, instant this and that, and that kids' food, Ready thingy Breakfast.

But I like the cut oats, the proper ones, not that other rubbish.

And yet the bastards had taken mine.

They never normally take mine. There's only normally one little box on its own at the end and no one usually pays them any attention.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

We'e being complacent,the US are being incompetent on 20:49 - Mar 11 with 1198 viewsjeera

We'e being complacent,the US are being incompetent on 20:42 - Mar 11 by StokieBlue

Well the Americans seem to be turned to what they know best and suing people:

A Florida couple onboard a cruise ship stricken with the coronavirus has filed a $1m lawsuit against the boat’s operator, Princess Cruises, for failing to protect passengers amid the global Covid-19 outbreak.

What a pair of selfish tools.

SB

So you're saying I can sue Tesco for selling my porridge to the undeserving?

Edit: The problem with that is they'll probably win.

I don't get it. What goes on over there that makes people think it's acceptable to sue for everything and how come it actually seem to work?
[Post edited 11 Mar 2020 20:52]

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 20:51 - Mar 11 with 1190 viewsSwansea_Blue

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 18:41 - Mar 11 by Pinewoodblue

I believe Cyprus already ban Italian, German and French visitors.

Austria shut their border with Italy yesterday as well (I'm not sure if everyone was stopped, or just people coming from certain areas).

When you see what else is happening, we're being very lax. Maybe it's because we're thinking/working smarter. Or maybe it's the same 'British bulldog, muddle through, Britain knows best, Tally Ho!' spirit we've seen throughout Brexit. I honestly don't know which.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

We'e being complacent,the US are being incompetent on 20:51 - Mar 11 with 1187 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

We'e being complacent,the US are being incompetent on 20:31 - Mar 11 by jeera

They'd sold out of my favourite porridge.

I was right pissed off.

Why don't they stick their panic buying to the usual crap they like and leave my organic, chunky one alone?

Bunch of ****s.

Even my favourite wholefood cooperative wholesaler is being hit by the panic...website keeps crashing. However I am flush with organic porridge oats if you get desperate. Heaps of Ecoleaf bog roll too for the ethical bum wipers amongst us !

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

We'e being complacent,the US are being incompetent on 20:56 - Mar 11 with 1174 viewsJ2BLUE

We'e being complacent,the US are being incompetent on 20:44 - Mar 11 by jeera

There were loads of those Scots oats things and other over processed stuff, instant this and that, and that kids' food, Ready thingy Breakfast.

But I like the cut oats, the proper ones, not that other rubbish.

And yet the bastards had taken mine.

They never normally take mine. There's only normally one little box on its own at the end and no one usually pays them any attention.

Ready Brek is 100% oats i'll have you know!

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

We'e being complacent,the US are being incompetent on 20:58 - Mar 11 with 1166 viewsjeera

We'e being complacent,the US are being incompetent on 20:51 - Mar 11 by BanksterDebtSlave

Even my favourite wholefood cooperative wholesaler is being hit by the panic...website keeps crashing. However I am flush with organic porridge oats if you get desperate. Heaps of Ecoleaf bog roll too for the ethical bum wipers amongst us !

The ecoleaf bog roll is an actual bag of leaves, right?

They had also sold out of the cheapest porridge which I sometimes buy along with value raisins to make up a bird food, along with suet etc, but still had several of the more expensive ones left which I ended up buying instead.

The thing is, and I am going to say this, is the one I like is the one that comes somewhere in the middle. It really is 'just right'.

We'e being complacent,the US are being incompetent on 21:00 - Mar 11 with 1159 viewsjeera

We'e being complacent,the US are being incompetent on 20:56 - Mar 11 by J2BLUE

Ready Brek is 100% oats i'll have you know!

Rolled to dust until any natural fibre has been basically diminished.

My mother has started buying it too so you're not alone in the adult kingdom.

She's "82 you know".

Login to get fewer ads

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 21:02 - Mar 11 with 1158 viewsBloomBlue

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 20:43 - Mar 11 by Guthrum

Part of the issue is where people are catching it from. If all the emerging cases have some sort of link to known, external hotspots (Wuhan, Northern Italy, Iran, cruise ships, etc.) or previously infected people who had such a direct link (e.g. family members) then that shows containment is still working.

Once a majority of new cases are from in-country infection, then it has broken out and containment no longer works. More drastic measures need to be taken to them slow down the further spread.

And the only drastic measure which has worked is the one North Korea adopted when they (allegedly) shot the only person in NK to have corona, as it seems nobody has it in NK, drastic I know.
We'e being complacent,the US are being incompetent on 21:05 - Mar 11 with 1151 viewsJ2BLUE

We'e being complacent,the US are being incompetent on 21:00 - Mar 11 by jeera

Rolled to dust until any natural fibre has been basically diminished.

My mother has started buying it too so you're not alone in the adult kingdom.

She's "82 you know".

Actually I checked the nutritional values against jumbo rolled out and they were very similar.

Truly impaired.

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 21:07 - Mar 11 with 1144 viewsOxford_Blue

We will do it - it’s a question of the timing being right.

Doing it too soon and it won’t work.
We'e being complacent,the US are being incompetent on 21:08 - Mar 11 with 1143 viewsjeera

We'e being complacent,the US are being incompetent on 21:05 - Mar 11 by J2BLUE

Actually I checked the nutritional values against jumbo rolled out and they were very similar.

On a side note, always interesting to see people grabbing the 'low fat' mayo and other condiments without checking the sugar content.

A quick side by side comparison soon gives the game away huh?

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 21:09 - Mar 11 with 1138 viewsDoctor_Earman

Keep Calm and Carry on innit.
The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 21:09 - Mar 11 with 1135 viewsvapour_trail

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 21:07 - Mar 11 by Oxford_Blue

What are you evidencing this opinion-presented-as-fact on?

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

We'e being complacent,the US are being incompetent on 21:09 - Mar 11 with 1137 viewsTrequartista

We'e being complacent,the US are being incompetent on 19:19 - Mar 11 by unstableblue

The WHO have now called it a Pandemic - and it is the first Coronavirus to be termed this (so those comparing to SARS and even winter flu are misguided).

This spreads more easily and has a higher death rate. Death toll in Italy rose 30% in one day (200). Our cases rose sharply today.

So I'd say the UK should be banning large scale gathering and encouraging non essential travel now, and encouraging home working for non essential staff. The likes of Singapore have locked down very well, and contained.

Positively - the UK has educated well on hand washing, face touching,is testing effectively, and tracing. Some social distancing.

Also we have a good health system, we have good processes and contingency planning.

The US with the w@nker in chief are making a complete cluster feck of it, poor education, poor leadership, limited testing, federal/state level splits, poor preparation.

Positively Covid 19 does not effect the young, and in most cases is mild. But it it not fully understood.

they've called it a pandemic today and are "deeply concerned"

wow they're really ahead of the game.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 21:10 - Mar 11 with 1128 viewsTrequartista

i think only time will tell.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

We'e being complacent,the US are being incompetent on 21:13 - Mar 11 with 1117 viewsjeera

We'e being complacent,the US are being incompetent on 21:09 - Mar 11 by Trequartista

they've called it a pandemic today and are "deeply concerned"

wow they're really ahead of the game.

If you don't mind, they are an actual eminence front on this.

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 21:25 - Mar 11 with 1097 viewsNotMarcusEvans

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 21:10 - Mar 11 by Trequartista

i think only time will tell.

Wow. You slate the WHO and thats your expert view?? Lol
The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 21:31 - Mar 11 with 1080 viewsgordon

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 21:07 - Mar 11 by Oxford_Blue

There's an awful lot of people repeating this line about interventions not working of you do them too early - the research will almost certainly show that its better to err on the side of too early rather than too late.

Shutting pubs, restaurants, gyms, universities, sports events seems like a no brainer to me - although shutting schools is a bit different because of implications for parents

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/11/research-finds-huge-impact-of-inte
The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 21:33 - Mar 11 with 1075 viewsLord_Lucan

In this instance the government will be damned if they do and damned if they don't.

The government has to put the health and economy of the nation together and decide what is the best path to take in order to avoid either health or economic disaster. Both the economic and public health are the two most important things and they are both at risk, it is a question of finding the best balance but at times like this the answers are likely to be provided by events.

We have to hope and trust we are being given the best advice and we also have to do what we think is the best course for the well being of our families.

I suspect that if we only had to worry about the health of people then we would have immediately closed our borders and cancelled all large gatherings and events but unfortunately things aren't that simple.

So lets be honest, we only have our own opinion, there isn't really a right or wrong. If we close down schools who will look after the children, the parents? The parents are likely to be working in an industry that we are going to rely on, police, nurses, care workers etc.

Personally there are a couple of things that I can't fathom and at this present time think the government have screwed up on. One is the apparent lack of screening on airport entries and two is the fact that we are still hosting large sporting and entertainment events.
[Post edited 11 Mar 2020 21:36]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 21:33 - Mar 11 with 1073 viewsJ2BLUE

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 21:31 - Mar 11 by gordon

There's an awful lot of people repeating this line about interventions not working of you do them too early - the research will almost certainly show that its better to err on the side of too early rather than too late.

Shutting pubs, restaurants, gyms, universities, sports events seems like a no brainer to me - although shutting schools is a bit different because of implications for parents

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/11/research-finds-huge-impact-of-inte

Agreed I would happily see lockdown for a fortnight then reassess.

If it takes longer so be it.

Truly impaired.

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 21:36 - Mar 11 with 1058 viewsGuthrum

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 21:02 - Mar 11 by BloomBlue

And the only drastic measure which has worked is the one North Korea adopted when they (allegedly) shot the only person in NK to have corona, as it seems nobody has it in NK, drastic I know.

The only peron in NK they've found with C-19. Can't be many people volunteering to be tested.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 21:48 - Mar 11 with 1024 viewsOxford_Blue

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 21:31 - Mar 11 by gordon

It’s balancing the economic cost.
The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 22:20 - Mar 11 with 982 viewsStokieBlue

I am not sure there is enough evidence to make that call with such authority.

In every country where it's taken off the growth has been exponential after a period of linear growth. If you can stop the spread during the linear growth then you don't hit the exponential growth.

I guess we need to wait and see whether the Polish/Ukrainian super-drastic approach works or leaving it until it's already on the exponential growth works.

Look at Italy - 2000 more cases today, 300 deaths and now all shops to close except supermarkets and chemists.

I am not saying that it won't work if delayed and I am not saying it would work if done now - I would like to see some evidence supporting your stance though.

SB

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 22:22 - Mar 11 with 973 viewsStokieBlue

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 21:48 - Mar 11 by Oxford_Blue

It’s balancing the economic cost.

I think a lot or people would see that as a very callous way of looking at things.

There is certainly some truth in the statement but it's never nice to literally put economic wealth against peoples lives.

SB

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024