Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 16:23 - Mar 11 with 9924 viewsStokieBlue

Greece closed all their schools with only 89 cases. Poland did the same with about 40 cases and now Ukraine has done the same with 1 case.

"Another European country is taking drastic measures to curb the spread of coronavirus. Despite only having one confirmed case to date, Ukraine has said it is closing all educational institutions (which also includes nurseries and universities) from tomorrow until 3 April, the Kyiv Post reports.

It also says that gatherings of more than 200 people will be banned. The country has only tested 43 people, 41 of whom have tested negative, with one still being examined."

Do people think we are being too cautious with making big decisions or is the alleged "data-driven" decisions made by the government more sensible?

Closing the schools after 1 case seems very draconian but it might prevent a much bigger outbreak.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 17:31 - Mar 11 with 3313 viewsgordon

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 17:22 - Mar 11 by J2BLUE

My nan is 82 and going to Cyprus in 2 weeks. I really hope she doesn't go. I suspect it will be taken out of her hands by then though if we are two weeks behind Italy.

Yeah, you'd hope so, but it doesn't look like we're taking any responsibility for the effects we could have in other countries, but you'd have to hope that Cyprus would ban UK residents.

You can check international travel restrictions here, is updated daily:
https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.h
The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 17:35 - Mar 11 with 3307 viewsSWGF

I'm in the US at the moment. There's not much panic. My company have told employees to work from home (and, as a result, I'm the only one in the office having taken a transatlantic journey to get here). They've cancelled the St Paddy's Day parade in Chicago as it's a large gathering, Coachella has been postponed...but the sporting stuff is still going on; basketball last night, NHL tonight. Saw on the news this morning that they've shut a school or two, locally.
[Post edited 11 Mar 2020 17:46]

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 17:35 - Mar 11 with 3299 viewsgordon

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 17:31 - Mar 11 by gordon

Yeah, you'd hope so, but it doesn't look like we're taking any responsibility for the effects we could have in other countries, but you'd have to hope that Cyprus would ban UK residents.

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.h

There are 2,000+ new cases being reported in Italy today, another big jump. Could be a result of the movement of people from the north to the south when the initial quarantine measures were announced.
The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 17:41 - Mar 11 with 3288 viewshype313

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 17:04 - Mar 11 by footers

I saw that many NYC schools were switching to remote learning for the foreseeable. Wonder how many UK schools would be equipped for that? Otherwise all the kids will just be out causing trouble, getting 'high' and posting on here, instead of furthering their education.

It's happening in the UEA as we speak, my sister is a teacher out there.

https://gn24.ae/989ceb75ea7b000

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 17:49 - Mar 11 with 3264 viewsvapour_trail

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 16:59 - Mar 11 by StokieBlue

Seems some people want to close them although I suspect the majority are people without kids who don't need to find childcare and want an easier commute:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/300403

SB

That’ll be about 250,000 teachers right there.

I’m working on the basis we will be locked down in 7-10 days. That’s the sweet spot for our business continuity measures at present. We are clearly taking a position more comfortable with risk than many of our former partners in the EU, but these may be valid.

There will also be the hit in the economy to factor in. A fall in GDP will cause deaths just as the virus will, in the same way that austerity measures have, so there will be a judgment call on when to introduce measures that this the economy and how hard.

Plenty of people suggesting they trust the leadership, I have no sense of that either way currently, but there’s nothing remotely at all in the past to promote such a view.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 17:55 - Mar 11 with 3255 viewslightuser

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 16:50 - Mar 11 by hype313

Personally I think this thing will overrun us and we will not have any choice in locking down the country, I get that it might cripple the economy but these are unchartered waters for everyone, the notion of finance needs to take a back seat when it comes to human lives on such a large scale.

Sorry, but this is not spanish influenza. There are not going to be 50 to 100 million deaths from this in the first phase (spanish flu took a couple of "flu" seasons to reach it's full potential).

It's already March, The virus is reportedly not keen on hotter climes and a vaccine will be out before the next infectious season. We are going to lose a few of our older (and less well brethren), but we are already too late to stop its spread (blame those very very naughy primitive abbatoir workers, this time chinese, but could be be african re hiv/ebola, or uk idiots re cjd...Meat eaters - still responsible for virally killing s**t loads of people, this time in 2020 👍 One for you Callis (unfortunately ✌lol)). Ignorance and/or ostrich syndrome/just crooks who have no consience and don't give a damn, apart from their next £.

I'm a bit drunk. Sorry. Not sure any of this is scientifically refutable. Sorry if I am wrong Stokie and Sparks, I don't google much. 😢👍🤷‍♂️✌ Peace.
The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 18:25 - Mar 11 with 3216 viewsvapour_trail

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 17:49 - Mar 11 by vapour_trail

That’ll be about 250,000 teachers right there.

I’m working on the basis we will be locked down in 7-10 days. That’s the sweet spot for our business continuity measures at present. We are clearly taking a position more comfortable with risk than many of our former partners in the EU, but these may be valid.

There will also be the hit in the economy to factor in. A fall in GDP will cause deaths just as the virus will, in the same way that austerity measures have, so there will be a judgment call on when to introduce measures that this the economy and how hard.

Plenty of people suggesting they trust the leadership, I have no sense of that either way currently, but there’s nothing remotely at all in the past to promote such a view.

To add to this, the words from the WHO today as they upgraded the virus to a pandemic:

“All countries can still change the course of this pandemic. If countries detect, test, treat, isolate, trace and mobilise their people in the response,”

My suspicion is that as a nation, we were and remain completely unable to resource in particular the test and treat elements, and that there is currently a panicked degree of activity behind the supposedly evidence driven three way press conferences, to get us nearer to this point before explicitly alerting the wider public to the complexity of the challenge. They will have to move shortly, but again, I suspect, do not want to create alarm whilst totally ill equipped to deal with it. All the while, the mobilise element described by the WHO, is being neglected.

Appreciate a complete distrust in this administration will have coloured this opinion.

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 18:29 - Mar 11 with 3202 viewsgordon

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 18:25 - Mar 11 by vapour_trail

To add to this, the words from the WHO today as they upgraded the virus to a pandemic:

“All countries can still change the course of this pandemic. If countries detect, test, treat, isolate, trace and mobilise their people in the response,”

My suspicion is that as a nation, we were and remain completely unable to resource in particular the test and treat elements, and that there is currently a panicked degree of activity behind the supposedly evidence driven three way press conferences, to get us nearer to this point before explicitly alerting the wider public to the complexity of the challenge. They will have to move shortly, but again, I suspect, do not want to create alarm whilst totally ill equipped to deal with it. All the while, the mobilise element described by the WHO, is being neglected.

Appreciate a complete distrust in this administration will have coloured this opinion.

Yeah, this doesn't sound good (from the Guardian):

'No testing on arrival from Milan'

Alberto Volpe, a 33-year-old, was feverish when he flew from Milan to Gatwick on Sunday after being forced to return home from a skiing holiday in Chamonix due to an injury to his girlfriend.

He said:

"The captain informed the port authorities that people with the coronavirus may have been onboard as the cabin crew reported a few people coughing, so we waited an hour and a half before disembarking but no one came on board to check us.

I find it crazy no one checked us. It was just like any other flight. In Italy, everyone is having their temperature measured. It is not happening in the UK and, most importantly, not on a flight containing people coming from the now quarantined areas. How else can you contain any possible risk? It’s bizarre.

We took the train home to Brighton and I measured my body temperature which was 37.5 degrees and I started having diarrhoea. We rang 111 and explained where we had been and were told we should be in quarantine. They gave us the option of driving to a tent for testing or waiting for someone to call us within 48 hours to arrange a home test. But more than two days later and we were not contacted.

We rang them again this morning and they literally word for word said the same things. I’m sure I will be fine but I can’t understand why it takes so long to test someone who has a fever and has been in the area."
[Post edited 11 Mar 2020 18:30]
Login to get fewer ads

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 18:30 - Mar 11 with 3199 viewssparks

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 17:55 - Mar 11 by lightuser

Sorry, but this is not spanish influenza. There are not going to be 50 to 100 million deaths from this in the first phase (spanish flu took a couple of "flu" seasons to reach it's full potential).

It's already March, The virus is reportedly not keen on hotter climes and a vaccine will be out before the next infectious season. We are going to lose a few of our older (and less well brethren), but we are already too late to stop its spread (blame those very very naughy primitive abbatoir workers, this time chinese, but could be be african re hiv/ebola, or uk idiots re cjd...Meat eaters - still responsible for virally killing s**t loads of people, this time in 2020 👍 One for you Callis (unfortunately ✌lol)). Ignorance and/or ostrich syndrome/just crooks who have no consience and don't give a damn, apart from their next £.

I'm a bit drunk. Sorry. Not sure any of this is scientifically refutable. Sorry if I am wrong Stokie and Sparks, I don't google much. 😢👍🤷‍♂️✌ Peace.

No idea- but it is certainly the case that one of the reasons that colds are more prevalent in winter, is that UV light kills off corona and rhinoviruses- so once summer comes, and we all spend more time outdoors, it doesnt hang around outside of hosts for so long.

And coronaviruses (along with rhinoviruses) and apparently what cause what we call colds. Covid 19 is another strain of corona virus amidst the many we already have.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 18:36 - Mar 11 with 3188 viewsvapour_trail

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 18:29 - Mar 11 by gordon

Yeah, this doesn't sound good (from the Guardian):

'No testing on arrival from Milan'

Alberto Volpe, a 33-year-old, was feverish when he flew from Milan to Gatwick on Sunday after being forced to return home from a skiing holiday in Chamonix due to an injury to his girlfriend.

He said:

"The captain informed the port authorities that people with the coronavirus may have been onboard as the cabin crew reported a few people coughing, so we waited an hour and a half before disembarking but no one came on board to check us.

I find it crazy no one checked us. It was just like any other flight. In Italy, everyone is having their temperature measured. It is not happening in the UK and, most importantly, not on a flight containing people coming from the now quarantined areas. How else can you contain any possible risk? It’s bizarre.

We took the train home to Brighton and I measured my body temperature which was 37.5 degrees and I started having diarrhoea. We rang 111 and explained where we had been and were told we should be in quarantine. They gave us the option of driving to a tent for testing or waiting for someone to call us within 48 hours to arrange a home test. But more than two days later and we were not contacted.

We rang them again this morning and they literally word for word said the same things. I’m sure I will be fine but I can’t understand why it takes so long to test someone who has a fever and has been in the area."
[Post edited 11 Mar 2020 18:30]

111 works from a strict script. Having had one of the kids with a condition that required a call to them as part of a process I am very well familiar with the delivery model. It’s really poor triaging.

Guy from work who returned from a skiing trip in Italy, displaying symptoms, ended up waiting a week for the test. He’s ok thankfully.

There is merit in not revealing this level of ineptitude to the population, but I’d venture risk more than offsets opportunity.

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 18:41 - Mar 11 with 3168 viewsSwansea_Blue

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 18:25 - Mar 11 by vapour_trail

Yep. This links to the reporting on his speech I posted on the first page:

"The challenge is not whether countries can change the course of the virus but whether they will, Tedros says. He says some countries are struggling with a lack of capacity but says some are struggling with a lack of resolve.

I woud assume that's a dig at us and America for being slow to reposnd aggressively.

The persistent, blatant lies of the people involved in this administration (and in America) is going to come home to roost. They're bound to be questioned bcause many people simply don't trust them to (a) do what's best for the population, and (b) to tell the truth over it.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 18:41 - Mar 11 with 3168 viewsPinewoodblue

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 17:31 - Mar 11 by gordon

I believe Cyprus already ban Italian, German and French visitors.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 18:53 - Mar 11 with 3140 viewsjas0999

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 16:26 - Mar 11 by lowhouseblue

isn't the uk unusual compared with countries like greece in that we have much higher labour market participation and therefore less capacity to deal with kids not being at school. closing schools here would have a much greater impact because so many parents would have to stop work?

Exactly this. We also start children at school much earlier than most of our European neighbours.
The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 19:06 - Mar 11 with 3119 viewsBlue_Order

I think this is the real deal. We’re a couple of weeks away from it hitting it’s peak and when it does, it’ll be out of control. The NHS won’t be able to cope - our bed occupancy rate is already at 95%.

We were too slow to react or take it seriously and it’s too late now. We’re past the point where it can be stopped. Letting people come back from Italy without any control measures in place was a ridiculous decision when it was clear there was an escalating problem there.
The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 19:13 - Mar 11 with 3099 viewsFreddies_Ears

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 19:06 - Mar 11 by Blue_Order

I think this is the real deal. We’re a couple of weeks away from it hitting it’s peak and when it does, it’ll be out of control. The NHS won’t be able to cope - our bed occupancy rate is already at 95%.

We were too slow to react or take it seriously and it’s too late now. We’re past the point where it can be stopped. Letting people come back from Italy without any control measures in place was a ridiculous decision when it was clear there was an escalating problem there.

Agree 100%. It seems ridiculous that country after country after country - many with fewer cases than UK - are taking strong measures to reduce the risk or at least rate of spread, whilst UK is merely telling people to wash their hands.

There is too much anecdotal evidence of people travelling back from affected areas, incl Italy, not being tested. Or even being refused tests when they are showing symptoms.

The (UK) geographic spread of cases shows it is pretty prevalent. So, why no govt action?
The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 19:19 - Mar 11 with 3090 viewsjeera

More of a drachmanian approach then.

*I know, not exactly a laughing matter.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

We'e being complacent,the US are being incompetent on 19:19 - Mar 11 with 3084 viewsunstableblue

The WHO have now called it a Pandemic - and it is the first Coronavirus to be termed this (so those comparing to SARS and even winter flu are misguided).

This spreads more easily and has a higher death rate. Death toll in Italy rose 30% in one day (200). Our cases rose sharply today.

So I'd say the UK should be banning large scale gathering and encouraging non essential travel now, and encouraging home working for non essential staff. The likes of Singapore have locked down very well, and contained.

Positively - the UK has educated well on hand washing, face touching,is testing effectively, and tracing. Some social distancing.

Also we have a good health system, we have good processes and contingency planning.

The US with the w@nker in chief are making a complete cluster feck of it, poor education, poor leadership, limited testing, federal/state level splits, poor preparation.

Positively Covid 19 does not effect the young, and in most cases is mild. But it it not fully understood.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 19:32 - Mar 11 with 3059 viewsgordon

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 19:06 - Mar 11 by Blue_Order

The peak is (assuming little action is taken) likely to be in around 50 or so days. The Health Minister said this in Parlimanent today:

"The deputy chief medical officer ... said that, in the next couple of weeks, we may see the numbers starting to rise fast to their peak.

We do not expect numbers to peak in the next fortnight, we expect numbers to continue to rise after that and the peak would be after a matter of a couple of months, rather than in a matter of a couple weeks. This is a marathon and not a sprint."
We'e being complacent,the US are being incompetent on 19:33 - Mar 11 with 3059 viewsRadlett_blue

We'e being complacent,the US are being incompetent on 19:19 - Mar 11 by unstableblue

The WHO have now called it a Pandemic - and it is the first Coronavirus to be termed this (so those comparing to SARS and even winter flu are misguided).

This spreads more easily and has a higher death rate. Death toll in Italy rose 30% in one day (200). Our cases rose sharply today.

So I'd say the UK should be banning large scale gathering and encouraging non essential travel now, and encouraging home working for non essential staff. The likes of Singapore have locked down very well, and contained.

Positively - the UK has educated well on hand washing, face touching,is testing effectively, and tracing. Some social distancing.

Also we have a good health system, we have good processes and contingency planning.

The US with the w@nker in chief are making a complete cluster feck of it, poor education, poor leadership, limited testing, federal/state level splits, poor preparation.

Positively Covid 19 does not effect the young, and in most cases is mild. But it it not fully understood.

We will almost certainly have 10,000 cases in the UK within the next fortnight. Banning large non-essential gatherings is largely cosmetic - you will only really stop the spread if you put the whole country into lock-down, which would have dire economic effects.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 19:36 - Mar 11 with 3049 viewsStokieBlue

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 18:30 - Mar 11 by sparks

No idea- but it is certainly the case that one of the reasons that colds are more prevalent in winter, is that UV light kills off corona and rhinoviruses- so once summer comes, and we all spend more time outdoors, it doesnt hang around outside of hosts for so long.

And coronaviruses (along with rhinoviruses) and apparently what cause what we call colds. Covid 19 is another strain of corona virus amidst the many we already have.

Some mixed messages on this one. Certainly you are right than warmer temperatures and sunlight reduce the survival time of the 4 existing human coronavirus but they are also ones that cause much milder illness than the new strain. There is also debate about how much difference it actually makes. It will deactivate the virus quicker on surfaces but good hygiene already helps with that. It doesn't make a difference for direct fluid transfer like a sneeze or cough although I am not sure anyone really knows what the most effective vector of covid 19 really is.

SB

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 19:37 - Mar 11 with 3048 viewsitfcjoe

A few hundred cases in Madrid, and there are a few thousand from Madrid in Liverpool for the night for the football with no checks in place before boarding etc

That sort of thing is mental

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 19:39 - Mar 11 with 3035 viewsStokieBlue

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 17:55 - Mar 11 by lightuser

Hope you enjoyed your drink :).

You are right, it won't be Spanish flu because we are much more advanced medically now and there isn't a huge trench based war going on. On the underlying number though it's actually got a higher r0 and mortality rate than Spanish flu.

It wasn't an abattoir - that's actually the problem - the animals are alive in the markets then killed. The Chinese have finally banned them though.

SB

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 19:41 - Mar 11 with 3023 viewsStokieBlue

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 19:37 - Mar 11 by itfcjoe

A few hundred cases in Madrid, and there are a few thousand from Madrid in Liverpool for the night for the football with no checks in place before boarding etc

That sort of thing is mental

More than 1000 cases in Madrid now I believe?

SB

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 19:42 - Mar 11 with 3020 viewsitfcjoe

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 18:36 - Mar 11 by vapour_trail

111 works from a strict script. Having had one of the kids with a condition that required a call to them as part of a process I am very well familiar with the delivery model. It’s really poor triaging.

Guy from work who returned from a skiing trip in Italy, displaying symptoms, ended up waiting a week for the test. He’s ok thankfully.

There is merit in not revealing this level of ineptitude to the population, but I’d venture risk more than offsets opportunity.

Mrs itfcjoe came down with a bad fever yesterday, and was sick all night - I had to take itfcjoe Jr to the Dr today for some jabs and there are posters up syaing if you have a fever and a cough (which she does) then contact 111.

Over the phone they said she wasn't likely to have come into contact with anyone with Coronavirus so basically just get on with things.

My throat is hurting now - I'm sure it's not for either of us, but if you have the symptons then just assuming you probably haven't come into contact with anyone seems a bit silly

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 19:42 - Mar 11 with 3017 viewsgordon

The US and UK seem to be taking a much less draconian stance on Covid 19 on 19:36 - Mar 11 by StokieBlue

Some mixed messages on this one. Certainly you are right than warmer temperatures and sunlight reduce the survival time of the 4 existing human coronavirus but they are also ones that cause much milder illness than the new strain. There is also debate about how much difference it actually makes. It will deactivate the virus quicker on surfaces but good hygiene already helps with that. It doesn't make a difference for direct fluid transfer like a sneeze or cough although I am not sure anyone really knows what the most effective vector of covid 19 really is.

SB

Average temp in Tehran is about 14-18 degrees at this time of year, and higher in both UAE and Qatar where it also looks to be spreading effectively.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024