Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The coronavirus is coming to you. 10:21 - Mar 12 with 21123 viewsMaySixth

It’s coming at an exponential speed: gradually, and then suddenly.
It’s a matter of days. Maybe a week or two.
When it does, your healthcare system will be overwhelmed.
Your fellow citizens will be treated in the hallways.
Exhausted healthcare workers will break down. Some will die.
They will have to decide which patient gets the oxygen and which one dies.
The only way to prevent this is social distancing today. Not tomorrow. Today.
That means keeping as many people home as possible, starting now.

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 18:36 - Mar 14 with 2755 viewsTractorWood

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 21:55 - Mar 12 by J2BLUE

Agree, and how many people with a cough or a bit of a temperature will be in denial?

Agree. Workplaces and shops up and down the country will be brimming with people with the sniffles, an occasional cough and bit of a head ache. It could be covid or it could be standard March sniffles, impossible to tell without burdening a health service that critically needs bandwidth for people who are genuinely at risk.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 19:41 - Mar 14 with 2702 viewsChurchman

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 18:18 - Mar 14 by sparks

I found that puzzling too- though the suggestion seems to be that if you get through 7 days, you are on the mend, or in hospital- and not much in between.

I thought they said the other day that regardless of how you feel, after 7 days the risk of passing on the virus is slim?
The coronavirus is coming to you. on 19:53 - Mar 14 with 2689 viewsRyorry

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 18:36 - Mar 14 by TractorWood

Agree. Workplaces and shops up and down the country will be brimming with people with the sniffles, an occasional cough and bit of a head ache. It could be covid or it could be standard March sniffles, impossible to tell without burdening a health service that critically needs bandwidth for people who are genuinely at risk.

A neighbour who's early middle-age came to see me this afty - was less than about 2 feet away on doorstep chatting on as he informed me that he wouldn't be going to one post office in town again in a hurry, as it had been full of people coughing & sneezing when he went in there last week!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 19:53 - Mar 14 with 2671 viewsmonytowbray

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 19:41 - Mar 14 by Churchman

I thought they said the other day that regardless of how you feel, after 7 days the risk of passing on the virus is slim?

Don’t show him up twice in one thread.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 19:56 - Mar 14 with 2680 viewsMercian

Two years ago I was subject to a verbal warning at work if I did not come in whilst having flu, there were 2 or 3 other people told the same. We came to work on the Monday and by Thursday 1/3 of the call centre had symptoms. I no longer work there but I hope they and other firms have a more enlightened attitude this time.
[Post edited 14 Mar 2020 19:57]
The coronavirus is coming to you. on 20:02 - Mar 14 with 2664 viewsTractorWood

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 19:56 - Mar 14 by Mercian

Two years ago I was subject to a verbal warning at work if I did not come in whilst having flu, there were 2 or 3 other people told the same. We came to work on the Monday and by Thursday 1/3 of the call centre had symptoms. I no longer work there but I hope they and other firms have a more enlightened attitude this time.
[Post edited 14 Mar 2020 19:57]

November and December last year I recall about 40% of my office being audibly and continually ill for sustained periods.

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 20:02 - Mar 14 with 2664 viewsRyorry

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 17:55 - Mar 14 by Ryorry

Oh quite, I agree. Seems the incubation period may even be up to 21 days from various science pages I've read.

And there's also the question of incoming post, parcels etc. - the virus can live on hard surfaces for up to 9 days (a few less for paper I believe, will post link later).

From:- https://www.livescience.com/how-long-coronavirus-last-surfaces.html

"But how long can the new coronavirus linger on surfaces, anyway? The short answer is, we don't know. A new analysis found that the virus can remain viable in the air for up to 3 hours, on copper for up to 4 hours, on cardboard up to 24 hours and on plastic and stainless steel up to 2 to 3 days. However, this study, which was published in the preprint database medRxiv on Wednesday (March 11), has not yet yet been peer-reviewed.

They concluded that if this new coronavirus resembles other human coronaviruses, such as its "cousins" that cause SARS and MERS, it can stay on surfaces – such as metal, glass or plastic – for as long as nine days (In comparison, flu viruses can last on surfaces for only about 48 hours.)

But some of them don't remain active for as long at temperatures higher than 86 degrees Fahrenheit (30 degrees Celsius). The authors also found that these coronaviruses can be effectively wiped away by household disinfectants.

Another study published in February in The Journal of Hospital Infection analyzed several dozen previously published papers on human coronaviruses (other than the new coronavirus) to get a better idea of how long they can survive outside of the body."

From:- https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-myths.html?utm_source=notification

"Myth: It's not safe to receive a package from China

It is safe to receive letters or packages from China, according to the World Health Organization. Previous research has found that coronaviruses don't survive long on objects such as letters and packages. Based on what we know about similar coronaviruses such as MERS-CoV and SARS-CoV, experts think this new coronavirus likely survives poorly on surfaces.

A past study found that these related coronaviruses can stay on surfaces such as metal, glass or plastic for as long as nine days, according to a study published Feb. 6 in The Journal of Hospital Infection. But the surfaces present in packaging are not ideal for the virus to survive.

For a virus to remain viable, it needs a combination of specific environmental conditions such as temperature, lack of UV exposure and humidity – a combination you won't get in shipping packages, according to Dr. Amesh A. Adalja, Senior Scholar, Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security, who spoke with Live Science's sister site Tom's Hardware.

And so "there is likely very low risk of spread from products or packaging that are shipped over a period of days or weeks at ambient temperatures," according to the CDC. "Currently, there is no evidence to support transmission of COVID-19 associated with imported goods, and there have not been any cases of COVID-19 in the United States associated with imported goods." Rather, the coronavirus is thought to be most commonly spread through respiratory droplets."
[Post edited 14 Mar 2020 20:08]

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 20:04 - Mar 14 with 2660 viewsAce_High1

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 20:02 - Mar 14 by TractorWood

November and December last year I recall about 40% of my office being audibly and continually ill for sustained periods.

Same, a lot of people suffering with a cough for weeks on end....... maybe a strain of Coronavirus was here months before we thought.
Login to get fewer ads

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 20:11 - Mar 14 with 2647 viewsRyorry

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 20:04 - Mar 14 by Ace_High1

Same, a lot of people suffering with a cough for weeks on end....... maybe a strain of Coronavirus was here months before we thought.

Impossible unless they'd visited China - the first case there was only discovered on 17th Nov., incubation is a minimum of 7 days, and the source was transmission from a bat there onto another small wild animal.

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 20:15 - Mar 14 with 2641 viewsTractorWood

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 20:11 - Mar 14 by Ryorry

Impossible unless they'd visited China - the first case there was only discovered on 17th Nov., incubation is a minimum of 7 days, and the source was transmission from a bat there onto another small wild animal.

Think of the millions of people who haven been all over the world in December and January though.

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 20:19 - Mar 14 with 2635 viewsRyorry

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 20:15 - Mar 14 by TractorWood

Think of the millions of people who haven been all over the world in December and January though.

The virus originated in one small particular region tho.

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 20:23 - Mar 14 with 2622 viewsjeera

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 20:19 - Mar 14 by Ryorry

Yes, but as he says, months ago.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 20:24 - Mar 14 with 2612 viewsJ2BLUE

This is an interesting read. Hopefully it's correct and once we put more serious measures in place we won't see the worst case scenario.

https://www.calcalistech.com/ctech/articles/0,7340,L-3800632,00.html
[Post edited 14 Mar 2020 20:24]

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 20:37 - Mar 14 with 2601 viewsTractorWood

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 20:19 - Mar 14 by Ryorry

A highly contagious virus that ranges from no symptoms to serious risk to life with an extended incubation period.

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 00:33 - Mar 15 with 2541 viewslinhdi

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 20:24 - Mar 14 by J2BLUE

This is an interesting read. Hopefully it's correct and once we put more serious measures in place we won't see the worst case scenario.

It's credible, but - if it's right - it would mean that the UK govt approach of letting everyone get it to achieve "herd immunity" is utterly irresponsible.
The coronavirus is coming to you. on 00:47 - Mar 15 with 2528 viewsRyorry

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 00:33 - Mar 15 by linhdi

It's credible, but - if it's right - it would mean that the UK govt approach of letting everyone get it to achieve "herd immunity" is utterly irresponsible.

So what's new?!

Sorry, maybe shouldn't joke about it :( But sometimes you gotta laugh just to avoid crying.

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 01:12 - Mar 15 with 2498 viewsmonytowbray

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 20:24 - Mar 14 by J2BLUE

You raise my anxiety in one thread and bring it down in this one.

J2, emotional rollercoaster edition.

TWTD never forgets…

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 16:03 - Mar 15 with 2403 viewsMaySixth

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 00:47 - Mar 15 by Ryorry

So what's new?!

Sorry, maybe shouldn't joke about it :( But sometimes you gotta laugh just to avoid crying.

14 dead in last 24 hours
Now up to 35 in total

If the epidemic is peaking in May these numbers will be severe

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 23:08 - Mar 16 with 2329 viewsMaySixth

government finally getting round to it

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 23:11 - Mar 16 with 2312 viewsJ2BLUE

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 01:12 - Mar 15 by monytowbray

You raise my anxiety in one thread and bring it down in this one.

J2, emotional rollercoaster edition.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 23:15 - Mar 16 with 2300 viewsmonytowbray

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 23:11 - Mar 16 by J2BLUE

Whatever happened to Mark Henry? I haven’t watched WWE in like 3 years.

TWTD never forgets…

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 23:16 - Mar 16 with 2306 viewsMaySixth

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 21:46 - Mar 12 by lowhouseblue

pah, i'm sticking with nutters on the internet. what did the scientists ever do for us?

oh dear

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 01:41 - Mar 17 with 2246 viewsArnieM

Thank god for our National contingency plans then, eh👍 ...... you know the ones I mean. The ones that have been arranged in advance for the pandemic that had been expected, predicted and waited for for years now. Thank god world wide governments ( including ours) had the foresight to PREPARE for it ..., just like they have done for terrorist attacks ....( who’s to say this CoronaV isn’t just that!) .

.....,,” don’t panic Mr Mannering”!

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 16:46 - Mar 18 with 2168 viewsMaySixth

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 10:22 - Mar 12 by MaySixth

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd

London about to go into lockdown.

UK should have gone into lockdown ages ago.

Breathtaking.
[Post edited 18 Mar 2020 16:49]

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 12:40 - Mar 21 with 2066 viewsMaySixth

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 10:22 - Mar 12 by MaySixth

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd

March 10th.

"Stop scaremongering, fake news mate"

No idea why we are not on lockdown.

Boris Johnson has blood on his hands.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024