Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The coronavirus is coming to you. 10:21 - Mar 12 with 21122 viewsMaySixth

It’s coming at an exponential speed: gradually, and then suddenly.
It’s a matter of days. Maybe a week or two.
When it does, your healthcare system will be overwhelmed.
Your fellow citizens will be treated in the hallways.
Exhausted healthcare workers will break down. Some will die.
They will have to decide which patient gets the oxygen and which one dies.
The only way to prevent this is social distancing today. Not tomorrow. Today.
That means keeping as many people home as possible, starting now.

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 21:49 - Mar 12 with 5066 viewsJ2BLUE

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 21:46 - Mar 12 by lowhouseblue

pah, i'm sticking with nutters on the internet. what did the scientists ever do for us?

I went on infowars purely for my own amusement. In the comments section of one of their batsh1t stories someone has solved the entire mystery. The virus doesn't exist and it's just cover for the damaging effects of the new 5G networks.

No, I don't know either...

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 21:50 - Mar 12 with 5065 viewsm14_blue

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 21:45 - Mar 12 by Ryorry

"If you catch mild symptoms then rejoice because you are more than likely immune from it from now on."

From what I've read, that's actually incorrect.

Some people who've recovered from it have caught it again.

I think he’s almost certainly right actually.

There were a couple of cases that suggested otherwise but much more likely to have been false negative tests or another similar explanation. Scientifically very unlikely that it would recur.
The coronavirus is coming to you. on 21:51 - Mar 12 with 5049 viewsJ2BLUE

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 21:50 - Mar 12 by m14_blue

I think he’s almost certainly right actually.

There were a couple of cases that suggested otherwise but much more likely to have been false negative tests or another similar explanation. Scientifically very unlikely that it would recur.

The chief science officer said we need to build up immunity as a country so it seems one dose is enough to do that.

Truly impaired.

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 21:52 - Mar 12 with 5055 viewsRyorry

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 12:07 - Mar 12 by Swansea_Blue

Maybe that's a gamble that needs to be taken? Ireland have just announced they're closing down schools, colleges and public facilities. They're obviously responding to professional advice too (it's almost like there isn't a single agreed upon way to deal with this).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-51850811

I agree. The problem with not locking down now, early doors, is that our Govt. is relying on *everyone* to be responsible with self-isolation.

Unfortunately, as we know, there are always going to be a few irresponsible/uncaring/uninformed people around, like the couple I heard on TV news saying words to the effect of "I don't care, I'll do what I want & live as I always do, if I get it, I get it & I'll take my chances". Not a thought for anyone else (bit similar to the anti-vaxxers?).

It only needs a few people not bothering ...

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 21:53 - Mar 12 with 5042 viewslowhouseblue

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 21:49 - Mar 12 by J2BLUE

I went on infowars purely for my own amusement. In the comments section of one of their batsh1t stories someone has solved the entire mystery. The virus doesn't exist and it's just cover for the damaging effects of the new 5G networks.

No, I don't know either...

so basically what you're saying is that the cure is a tin foil hat. the classic stance in fact. what did happen to cil?

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 21:53 - Mar 12 with 5046 viewsRyorry

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 21:51 - Mar 12 by J2BLUE

The chief science officer said we need to build up immunity as a country so it seems one dose is enough to do that.

Make no mistake, I'd be bloody pleased if that's right!

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 21:55 - Mar 12 with 5024 viewsJ2BLUE

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 21:52 - Mar 12 by Ryorry

I agree. The problem with not locking down now, early doors, is that our Govt. is relying on *everyone* to be responsible with self-isolation.

Unfortunately, as we know, there are always going to be a few irresponsible/uncaring/uninformed people around, like the couple I heard on TV news saying words to the effect of "I don't care, I'll do what I want & live as I always do, if I get it, I get it & I'll take my chances". Not a thought for anyone else (bit similar to the anti-vaxxers?).

Agree, and how many people with a cough or a bit of a temperature will be in denial?

Truly impaired.

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 21:56 - Mar 12 with 5014 viewsGlasgowBlue

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 21:53 - Mar 12 by lowhouseblue

so basically what you're saying is that the cure is a tin foil hat. the classic stance in fact. what did happen to cil?

Hope she's ok. If anything was going to bring her back to TWTD it was this pandemic.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Login to get fewer ads

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 22:01 - Mar 12 with 5009 viewslowhouseblue

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 21:56 - Mar 12 by GlasgowBlue

Hope she's ok. If anything was going to bring her back to TWTD it was this pandemic.

i'm sure she's fine. she and zed have been reassigned to an angling forum in minnesota.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 22:14 - Mar 12 with 4986 viewsRyorry

She's still around (or was a few days ago anyway).

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 22:16 - Mar 12 with 4981 viewsjeera

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 19:55 - Mar 12 by MaySixth

You haven't read it have you.

What is it you're hoping to achieve and what has he said that isn't already known?

He seems to parade the 'Flatten The Curve' concept as though it's his own.

I haven't read word for word though so feel free to give a brief account with something a bit more helpful than:

"Exhausted healthcare workers will break down. Some will die.
They will have to decide which patient gets the oxygen and which one dies."
[Post edited 12 Mar 2020 23:28]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 23:50 - Mar 12 with 4890 viewsRyorry

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 21:55 - Mar 12 by J2BLUE

Agree, and how many people with a cough or a bit of a temperature will be in denial?

Particularly given our apparently second-lowest rate of Statory Sick Pay in the whole of Europe. How would, eg, single parents with little or no savings react? Of course they'd be tempted to go into work.

Prof. John Ashton, former Director of Public Health, speaking at (considerable and heated!) length on QT just now, was absolutely scathing about our Govt.'s approach, coruscating criticism from him.*

*Edit - oh, and from audience member:- "Why is it always the UK that gets caught with its pants down?" (cue massive laughter & applause from rest of audience).
[Post edited 13 Mar 2020 0:00]

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 14:40 - Mar 14 with 4790 viewsMaySixth

Uk deaths doubled in 24 hours
Peak of epidemic will happen mid May according to Government

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 14:56 - Mar 14 with 4776 viewsPecker

You really are an a$$.
The coronavirus is coming to you. on 15:10 - Mar 14 with 4758 viewsgiant_stow

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 22:14 - Mar 12 by Ryorry

She's still around (or was a few days ago anyway).

I toi would be very interested to read CiL's thoughts on this.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 15:21 - Mar 14 with 4750 viewsStokieBlue

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 15:10 - Mar 14 by giant_stow

I toi would be very interested to read CiL's thoughts on this.

She's been gone for months.

I am starting to worry about you ullaa, why on earth would you want to hear a conspiracy theory advocates thoughts on this, especially one who pushes anti-vax?

It's literally the opposite of what everyone needs at the moment.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 15:24 - Mar 14 with 4749 viewsStokieBlue

I believe she was told to stop pushing nonsense as scientific fact. It was getting rather distasteful and possibly hurtful if anyone actually started believing her.

I am honestly baffled why anyone would want her here sowing seeds of doubt with conspiratorial nonsense. It's literally the opposite of what is needed at the moment.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 15:37 - Mar 14 with 4722 viewsgiant_stow

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 15:21 - Mar 14 by StokieBlue

She's been gone for months.

I am starting to worry about you ullaa, why on earth would you want to hear a conspiracy theory advocates thoughts on this, especially one who pushes anti-vax?

It's literally the opposite of what everyone needs at the moment.

SB

No need to worry - just intrigued (and a bit bored tbh).

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 16:13 - Mar 14 with 4701 viewsJ2BLUE

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 21:53 - Mar 12 by lowhouseblue

I knew someone on there would have a mental theory as to what 'the truth' is. I was surprised it wasn't an angle being pushed by the site itself but i've since seen Alex Jones is selling 'cures' for the virus so that must be more profitable than driving traffic based on ridiculous lies.

Truly impaired.

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 16:48 - Mar 14 with 4677 viewssparks

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 21:52 - Mar 12 by Ryorry

More to the point, given the incubation period, self isolation isnt necessarily effective.

Someone where my wife used to work has just been hospitalised. He is in his 40s. They have sent the entire 5th floor home. But what about the rest of the building? Or people who mixed with 5th floor people over the last 10 days?

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 17:15 - Mar 14 with 4649 viewsmonytowbray

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 16:48 - Mar 14 by sparks

More to the point, given the incubation period, self isolation isnt necessarily effective.

Someone where my wife used to work has just been hospitalised. He is in his 40s. They have sent the entire 5th floor home. But what about the rest of the building? Or people who mixed with 5th floor people over the last 10 days?

A few days ago you were telling us not to question the experts...

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 17:55 - Mar 14 with 4629 viewsRyorry

Oh quite, I agree. Seems the incubation period may even be up to 21 days from various science pages I've read.

And there's also the question of incoming post, parcels etc. - the virus can live on hard surfaces for up to 9 days (a few less for paper I believe, will post link later).

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 18:10 - Mar 14 with 4606 viewssparks

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 17:55 - Mar 14 by Ryorry

Oh quite, I agree. Seems the incubation period may even be up to 21 days from various science pages I've read.

And there's also the question of incoming post, parcels etc. - the virus can live on hard surfaces for up to 9 days (a few less for paper I believe, will post link later).

Which is presumably why they have taken the view that its not really going to be stopped and we have to manage it rather than try to simply cut it off.

Time will tell...

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 18:16 - Mar 14 with 4603 viewsjeera

The bit I don't know and admittedly haven't bothered to look up, is why the suggestion atm is to self-isolate for 7 days if a cough/cold/temperature develops.

Why 7 days?

That doesn't sound long.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 18:18 - Mar 14 with 4596 viewssparks

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 18:16 - Mar 14 by jeera

The bit I don't know and admittedly haven't bothered to look up, is why the suggestion atm is to self-isolate for 7 days if a cough/cold/temperature develops.

Why 7 days?

That doesn't sound long.

I found that puzzling too- though the suggestion seems to be that if you get through 7 days, you are on the mend, or in hospital- and not much in between.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024