Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The coronavirus is coming to you. 10:21 - Mar 12 with 21120 viewsMaySixth

It’s coming at an exponential speed: gradually, and then suddenly.
It’s a matter of days. Maybe a week or two.
When it does, your healthcare system will be overwhelmed.
Your fellow citizens will be treated in the hallways.
Exhausted healthcare workers will break down. Some will die.
They will have to decide which patient gets the oxygen and which one dies.
The only way to prevent this is social distancing today. Not tomorrow. Today.
That means keeping as many people home as possible, starting now.

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 13:16 - Mar 12 with 4186 viewsWeWereZombies

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 12:55 - Mar 12 by Darth_Koont

Yes, and each country needs its own response.

As with climate change science, the problem is when someone comes in and gives their alternative view on the situation and what we should or should not be doing. They may have the credentials and a point, but who among us knows enough to actually judge that and promote the view? At a time when a concerted, common approach is critical?

It's Occam's Razor when it needs to be at its sharpest.

I would give that two uppies if possible, one being for a mention of Occam's razor. The importance of everyone following the same advice so that the result of the proscribed course of action is clearer cannot be emphasised enough. For each nation their particular situation is like a vast experiment that they will not be able to run a control alongside. So the fewer people who panic or stray into alternative courses of action the better.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 16:47 - Mar 12 with 4102 viewsNewcyBlue

Have we all seen the Covid-19 dashboard?

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd402

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 16:50 - Mar 12 with 4099 viewsStokieBlue

Some pretty worrying images of mass graves being dug for victims in Iran:

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 16:56 - Mar 12 with 4067 viewsmonytowbray

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 16:50 - Mar 12 by StokieBlue

Some pretty worrying images of mass graves being dug for victims in Iran:

SB

As I said lastnight, can’t help but feel like we are being lied to.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 16:57 - Mar 12 with 4068 viewsStokieBlue

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 16:56 - Mar 12 by monytowbray

It would have leaked out by now if that was the case. What would be the point?

If you mean specifically that some countries are under-reporting the numbers then you are almost certainly right.

SB

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 16:59 - Mar 12 with 4060 viewsjeera

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 16:56 - Mar 12 by monytowbray

Unless I'm missing something, I don't see us being lied to.

The implications are perfectly clear surely, unless, as seem with some people I've noticed, some are a bit late to the party. (Not you, generally speaking).

We understand the issue, but as a nation I think the guidance has been a bit backwards for sure, in fear of causing more of a panic, yes, possibly.

It hasn't been handled well at all.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 17:00 - Mar 12 with 4049 viewsStokieBlue

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 16:59 - Mar 12 by jeera

The implications are perfectly clear surely, unless, as seem with some people I've noticed, some are a bit late to the party. (Not you, generally speaking).

We understand the issue, but as a nation I think the guidance has been a bit backwards for sure, in fear of causing more of a panic, yes, possibly.

Boris is being very specific about the risks of people dying, what needs to be done and how long it's going to last in the current press conference.

SB

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 17:01 - Mar 12 with 4045 viewsSwansea_Blue

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 12:55 - Mar 12 by Darth_Koont

Yes, and each country needs its own response.

As with climate change science, the problem is when someone comes in and gives their alternative view on the situation and what we should or should not be doing. They may have the credentials and a point, but who among us knows enough to actually judge that and promote the view? At a time when a concerted, common approach is critical?

It's Occam's Razor when it needs to be at its sharpest.

Does each country need it's own response, for a highly contagious virus that doesn't respect boundaries? I'd have thought that is a classic case of the need to coordinated approaches.

You're quite right none of us on here knows enough to judge any of the approaches, that's a given. But it doesn't stop us discussing them. I'm not saying don't follow government advice and we can't do much else as individuals, sensibly.

We do already have a diverging approaches though - both between regions of the UK (e.g. Sturgeon's ban on large gatherings) and within regions, as organisations are left to make their own decisions as to whether to close down or not.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 17:02 - Mar 12 with 4041 viewsjeera

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 17:00 - Mar 12 by StokieBlue

Boris is being very specific about the risks of people dying, what needs to be done and how long it's going to last in the current press conference.

SB

I'm fairly sure that's what I said.

Apart from the overall plan.

I do feel more should have been done sooner.

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 17:07 - Mar 12 with 4025 viewsMaySixth

The government is essentially showing graphs from this paper and repeating things word for word.

Of course, it must be fake news.

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 17:08 - Mar 12 with 4016 viewsjeera

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 17:07 - Mar 12 by MaySixth

The government is essentially showing graphs from this paper and repeating things word for word.

Of course, it must be fake news.

Yes of course, this is where we're getting our news from.

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 17:20 - Mar 12 with 3986 viewsjas0999

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 10:30 - Mar 12 by Darth_Koont

It's not as simple as that.

The other side of the coin is that if everyone stays at home now then everyone gets bored of that and we're back to creating the worst spread and the most likely overburdening of the health services.

For once in our lives, this is the time to be serious about our information and sources, and our individual response being directed by experts.

Notwithstanding folk will have serious financial worries. Not great.
The coronavirus is coming to you. on 17:21 - Mar 12 with 3978 viewsmonytowbray

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 16:59 - Mar 12 by jeera

Similar to Chrisswailes, I too have health anxiety. I've convinced myself at least 3 times in adult life, most recently that flu thing i got in November where the cough lingered to mid-January (had a chest x-ray and didn't hear anything so all fine I'd assume). I also felt in part run down as a year of heavy depression, drinking and weight gain had took its toll.

Right now I have a bit of a dry throat and straight away I'm like F*******CK. It's honestly not a fun thing and it can really mess with your ability to function as thinking about it makes you notice other things that may not be an issue and think it's another symptom.

When I was at uni I had what felt like a lump stuck in my throat for a year and was convinced I was dying. It was acid reflux.

Seeing stuff like 5 people in the Iranian public eye dying from it and mass graves being dug really ain't doing me a lot of good right now. And before someone says stop reading, that's not really going to help. If anything ignoring it would make me worse.

Erugh.

TWTD never forgets…

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 17:24 - Mar 12 with 3977 viewsjontysnut

"Thank you Private Fraser. Corporal Jones, have you anything you wish to say?"
The coronavirus is coming to you. on 17:48 - Mar 12 with 3960 viewsDarth_Koont

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 17:20 - Mar 12 by jas0999

Notwithstanding folk will have serious financial worries. Not great.

Indeed.

Somewhere, there'll be a simulation of the people who will die and suffer from Covid-19 and the people who will die and suffer from the economic cost. And a "sweet spot" somewhere in between.

They already do it with our NICE healthcare economics and the Quality-adjusted Life Years calculations. Harsh but true.

Pronouns: He/Him

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 17:57 - Mar 12 with 3935 viewsOldsmoker

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 17:00 - Mar 12 by StokieBlue

SB

That was quite a good press conference.
Johnson ceded to the experts when he needed to, in fact it was the experts who led it really.
I understood what they were trying to do in flattening the peak and delaying it until we're ready for it.
One thing they should have stressed is that 95% will have mild symptoms and between 1% and 4% who are infected may die. Think about that, if you work in a large organisation maybe 2 or 3 may die. Do you know 25 people? - because statistically 1 of them might die.
So many people think this is a nailed-on death sentence - it isn't.
If you catch mild symptoms then rejoice because you are more than likely immune from it from now on.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 18:06 - Mar 12 with 3911 viewsmonytowbray

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 17:57 - Mar 12 by Oldsmoker

Johnson ceded to the experts when he needed to, in fact it was the experts who led it really.
I understood what they were trying to do in flattening the peak and delaying it until we're ready for it.
One thing they should have stressed is that 95% will have mild symptoms and between 1% and 4% who are infected may die. Think about that, if you work in a large organisation maybe 2 or 3 may die. Do you know 25 people? - because statistically 1 of them might die.
If you catch mild symptoms then rejoice because you are more than likely immune from it from now on.

There’s been cases of it coming in waves and returning though Stokie said earlier (and I read similar somewhere)?

TWTD never forgets…

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 19:05 - Mar 12 with 3854 viewsWeWereZombies

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 17:01 - Mar 12 by Swansea_Blue

Does each country need it's own response, for a highly contagious virus that doesn't respect boundaries? I'd have thought that is a classic case of the need to coordinated approaches.

You're quite right none of us on here knows enough to judge any of the approaches, that's a given. But it doesn't stop us discussing them. I'm not saying don't follow government advice and we can't do much else as individuals, sensibly.

We do already have a diverging approaches though - both between regions of the UK (e.g. Sturgeon's ban on large gatherings) and within regions, as organisations are left to make their own decisions as to whether to close down or not.

I wouldn't dispute that this virus has no respect for national boundaries but the social organisation of the World is bound by the Law of Nations and it is the response, not the belligerent, that we are organising. Culture can play a big part in the effectiveness of planning a course of response and the uptake, so each nation has to be sensitive to its own citizens and that will mean different approaches.

One upside of this mini crisis is that lessons may be learnt on how to tackle the much bigger crises arising from climate change that are on the horizon, that is where pan national action has to be more likely.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 19:13 - Mar 12 with 3845 viewsNthQldITFC

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 17:24 - Mar 12 by jontysnut

"Thank you Private Fraser. Corporal Jones, have you anything you wish to say?"

"Have ye heard the story of the auld, empty barn?"

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 19:55 - Mar 12 with 3816 viewsMaySixth

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 17:08 - Mar 12 by jeera

Yes of course, this is where we're getting our news from.

You haven't read it have you.

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 19:57 - Mar 12 with 3810 viewsDarth_Koont

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 17:01 - Mar 12 by Swansea_Blue

On the underlying medical stuff then there's no doubt a global approach should be underlying everything.

I'm just expecting (perhaps foolishly) that there are also specific local responses based on how different cultures work to spread the virus and how to best manage the local resources.

Edit: We're all going to come into contact with the virus over the next year and before a vaccine is available. So it's all about managing the impact based on resources.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2020 19:59]

Pronouns: He/Him

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 20:00 - Mar 12 with 3801 viewsTerry_Nutkins

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 10:42 - Mar 12 by MaySixth

I'd rather know the truth than not.

Read the article.

This is literally the exact opposite of helpful in these situations. You are that guy influencing people towards mass panic.

honestly i don't think it is deliberate but this is a serious situation and you should think a) do i have any expertise in this. b) Does this person writing this have any real expertise in this.

When the answer to both of those is no this is a really bad post honestly. This is a serious issue. Its not conspiracy hour or flat flat earth Friday. Lets listen to actual experts and lets act like adults and follow the advice.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 21:39 - Mar 12 with 3742 viewsbraveblue

Think I will listen to our scientists.
The coronavirus is coming to you. on 21:45 - Mar 12 with 3714 viewsRyorry

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 17:57 - Mar 12 by Oldsmoker

"If you catch mild symptoms then rejoice because you are more than likely immune from it from now on."

From what I've read, that's actually incorrect.

Some people who've recovered from it have caught it again.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 21:46 - Mar 12 with 3713 viewslowhouseblue

The coronavirus is coming to you. on 21:39 - Mar 12 by braveblue

Think I will listen to our scientists.

pah, i'm sticking with nutters on the internet. what did the scientists ever do for us?

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024