Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So realistically how long do we expect this total social lockdown to last? 12:50 - Mar 24 with 5035 viewsThisIsMyUsername

A month? Three months? Six months?

I've just come to terms with it. Was in the process this morning of planning to meet up with a friend who lives a 5 minute walk away, at either of our places. I was trying to justify to myself why it was OK to do so: we're both young, both asymptomatic, neither of us would be going near anyone vulnerable etc.

But then the thought kicked in that what you'd be doing is ultimately irresponsible, and about what would you say you were doing if a police officer asked you etc ('I'm just going for my daily walk, Officer). So we've both accepted it's wrong and admitted defeat until the lockdown is lifted slightly.

I suppose at a time like this you just have to accept that everyone is in the same boat and it's going to be an extremely fecking boring next however long.

On a side note, does anyone else expect that things like domestic violence incidents, and mental health issues such as depression are going to skyrocket?
[Post edited 24 Mar 2020 12:51]

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

So realistically how long do we expect this total social lockdown to last? on 14:13 - Mar 24 with 1023 viewsBloomBlue

Depends how quickly the Americans create a vaccine
So realistically how long do we expect this total social lockdown to last? on 14:13 - Mar 24 with 1028 viewsITFC_Forever

We should all be doing whatever it takes for this to be over as quickly (and safely) as possible.

We all have lives to lead, and at the moment they're all on hold.

I'm hoping that by this time next month there might be a slight easing of the situation, but with a number of restrictions still in place.. for example, I can see football returning behind closed doors initially at the end of April, then crowds being let back in mid-May.

Purely my guesswork, but we are due to be on holiday in Cornwall for May half-term (22nd May), and I'm using that as my goal.

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

So realistically how long do we expect this total social lockdown to last? on 14:14 - Mar 24 with 1021 viewsPinewoodblue

So realistically how long do we expect this total social lockdown to last? on 14:06 - Mar 24 by BlueBadger

One of my consultant colleagues has been running a day-by-day '14 days after, like-for-like' graph comparing us with Italy. Yesterday saw us take a divergence from Italy. Early days tho and no graph yet today.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10159814958623747&set=a.1015133978537874

Thanks for sharing that the only graph I had seen previously started at 10 deaths and that put us ahead of Italy.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

So realistically how long do we expect this total social lockdown to last? on 14:16 - Mar 24 with 1017 viewshomer_123

So realistically how long do we expect this total social lockdown to last? on 14:06 - Mar 24 by Ftnfwest

Homie, reference your golf game the other day are courses staying open? I know up until last night they were and i would have thought still represent a potential exercise for the day option (although probably stretching it, maybe once a week acceptable). Anyway was trying to get back into it this year, which would have started with the driving range although not sure whether they are open. May have to take a bucket of balls down the local field for half an hour.

Ours has now officially closed! :(

Rightly so.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

So realistically how long do we expect this total social lockdown to last? on 14:19 - Mar 24 with 1005 viewsWeWereZombies

So realistically how long do we expect this total social lockdown to last? on 14:06 - Mar 24 by Ftnfwest

Homie, reference your golf game the other day are courses staying open? I know up until last night they were and i would have thought still represent a potential exercise for the day option (although probably stretching it, maybe once a week acceptable). Anyway was trying to get back into it this year, which would have started with the driving range although not sure whether they are open. May have to take a bucket of balls down the local field for half an hour.

It has just been announced that the golf courses will close:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/52018267

Courses are open in Scotland but their use is being discouraged, and anyway:

'Andy Murray’s mum Judy tells coronavirus tourists ‘go home idiots’ from

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/22/urban-dwellers-told-stay-away-countryside-prevent

I wouldn't tangle with her...
[Post edited 24 Mar 2020 14:24]

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

So realistically how long do we expect this total social lockdown to last? on 14:19 - Mar 24 with 1006 viewsSteve_M

So realistically how long do we expect this total social lockdown to last? on 14:14 - Mar 24 by Pinewoodblue

Thanks for sharing that the only graph I had seen previously started at 10 deaths and that put us ahead of Italy.

The FT are doing a regular update that has the count after 10 and one at 100. It isn't behind the paywall:

https://www.ft.com/coronavirus-latest

There's an obvious risk of taking death figures in lieu of sports results but quantifying this is one of the ways to manage it.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

So realistically how long do we expect this total social lockdown to last? on 14:47 - Mar 24 with 952 viewsportmanking

So realistically how long do we expect this total social lockdown to last? on 14:13 - Mar 24 by ITFC_Forever

We should all be doing whatever it takes for this to be over as quickly (and safely) as possible.

We all have lives to lead, and at the moment they're all on hold.

I'm hoping that by this time next month there might be a slight easing of the situation, but with a number of restrictions still in place.. for example, I can see football returning behind closed doors initially at the end of April, then crowds being let back in mid-May.

Purely my guesswork, but we are due to be on holiday in Cornwall for May half-term (22nd May), and I'm using that as my goal.

Absolutely no chance of holidays being permitted until the autumn, surely?

The migration of people from this area to Cornwall (as per your example) would be a logistical nightmare in terms of public health.

Can't see any way social distancing measures will be relaxed sufficiently until the summer has come and gone - particularly if you look at Olympics cancellation etc.
So realistically how long do we expect this total social lockdown to last? on 14:50 - Mar 24 with 956 viewsGuthrum

Depends when the numbers begin to show signs of dropping, balanced against the utter destruction of the economy.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

So realistically how long do we expect this total social lockdown to last? on 15:17 - Mar 24 with 922 viewsGuthrum

Unfortunately, not everybody is making the right decision.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

So realistically how long do we expect this total social lockdown to last? on 15:39 - Mar 24 with 893 viewsElephantintheRoom

Summarises rather neatly why its so difficult to communicate that going out spreads an incurable infection that kills people (albeit probably not you).. - and the actions made yesterday are alredy at least two weeks too late.

How do you get through to idiots that this is a transmissable disease that will overwhelm our iadequate helathcre system and kill at least 20,000 people - but not them?

An already overstretched NHS awaiting a deluge of patients they are not remotely able to deal with. The measures announced yesterday will kick in in two weeks time IF people adhere to them.... which they won't.

In two weeks time when The NHS is overwhelmed and Boris wishes we had those 40,000 nurses, 20,000 police etc so thoughtlessly removed by insane tory cuts and the economic madness of Brexit.... well the 'lockdown' will be made even more intrusive... and that won't work either.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

So realistically how long do we expect this total social lockdown to last? on 15:43 - Mar 24 with 881 viewsphillymark

So realistically how long do we expect this total social lockdown to last? on 12:59 - Mar 24 by Sarge

If neither of you are ill and neither of you are contacting anybody else then I don’t see where the harm is. I’m not saying you should do it, I’m saying that these rules are stupid without nuance but then the public has shown they can’t be trusted with that. It’s been 12 hours and the mental toll on me is far worse than any respiratory illness would be.

Because one of you might have the virus and be asymptomatic. You then give it to them and then who knows how many more people
So realistically how long do we expect this total social lockdown to last? on 15:44 - Mar 24 with 879 viewsITFC_Forever

So realistically how long do we expect this total social lockdown to last? on 14:47 - Mar 24 by portmanking

Absolutely no chance of holidays being permitted until the autumn, surely?

The migration of people from this area to Cornwall (as per your example) would be a logistical nightmare in terms of public health.

Can't see any way social distancing measures will be relaxed sufficiently until the summer has come and gone - particularly if you look at Olympics cancellation etc.

I must admit our ambition of going to Cornwall is very much me trying to find the most positive outcome and that it is quite likely we won't be able to go.

There is a slight difference of us going to the South West vs. the Euros / Olympics happening, as for us to go to Cornwall, only one country needs to have got it under control (the UK), whereas for the Euros / Olympics, a whole continent / the whole planet needs to have it under control.

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

So realistically how long do we expect this total social lockdown to last? on 15:54 - Mar 24 with 859 viewsm14_blue

So realistically how long do we expect this total social lockdown to last? on 13:06 - Mar 24 by ThisIsMyUsername

We're not in a big city where contact with others is hard to avoid etc. Realistically we could have done so without any consequences for us or anyone else, and I don't think it would have been at all selfish, but it just feels 'wrong'. I guess the wider lockdown has come into place because people in London etc were just carrying on and doing whatever they wanted. So those of us who live in less densely populated areas are all having to suffer, but to go against the guidance would be hypocritical.

See Sparks post above.

This lack of basic understanding is a huge problem.
So realistically how long do we expect this total social lockdown to last? on 16:06 - Mar 24 with 849 viewsjeera

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

So realistically how long do we expect this total social lockdown to last? on 16:07 - Mar 24 with 851 viewsbluelagos

It will all depend on how the pandemic pans out. Once it peaks it will tail off and there will be a point where they will ease the restrictions, probably bit by bit.

The estimate for the peak I think is mid May, so don't see anything changing for 3 months tbh.

I hope they take a regional view - so if say Sufffolk is way less hit than London, we get released from Lockdown based on our data rather than a blanker approach.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

So realistically how long do we expect this total social lockdown to last? on 16:10 - Mar 24 with 851 viewsBlueBadger

So realistically how long do we expect this total social lockdown to last? on 16:07 - Mar 24 by bluelagos

It will all depend on how the pandemic pans out. Once it peaks it will tail off and there will be a point where they will ease the restrictions, probably bit by bit.

The estimate for the peak I think is mid May, so don't see anything changing for 3 months tbh.

I hope they take a regional view - so if say Sufffolk is way less hit than London, we get released from Lockdown based on our data rather than a blanker approach.

The danger with regional easing is that you may see a lot of second-home types trying to fiddle their way around stricter restrictions by coming out 'the the country'.

And bringing their bugs with them to start another cycle up again.
[Post edited 24 Mar 2020 16:10]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024