Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gout 15:27 - Apr 11 with 2454 viewsLord_Lucan

For obvious reasons I won't be seeing a GP anytime soon but I seem to have developed gout in my big toe. Therefore any tips and medication advice will be appreciated.

It hurts like a motherfecker.

I blame Jeera because he previously asked me for gout advice and I didn't have it.

Edit; I've had a bad elbow for a while, could this be related.

[Post edited 11 Apr 2020 15:30]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Gout on 15:44 - Apr 11 with 2003 viewsBlueBadger

Go easy on the the booze and fatty foods and you'll get a fair reduction in symptoms. A glass or two of tonic water may help as well.
[Post edited 11 Apr 2020 15:45]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Gout on 15:47 - Apr 11 with 1966 viewsGlasgowBlue

See if you can get an emergency prescription for Colchicine. Once it's down you need to get on Allopurinol.

If you can't get any of this then any anti inflammatory will help but you'll probably suffer for the next three days.

I'd say that I feel you pain. But seeing as I'm on one Allopurinol a day, I don't.
[Post edited 11 Apr 2020 15:48]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Gout on 15:53 - Apr 11 with 1964 viewsbobwya

I sympathise .I have had it twice a the pain is awful. I think you will have to ring your GP difficult as it maybe at the moment and get him to send i a prescription to your pharmacy. I think medication is the only real way to treat it. And you may have to stay on it to stop it recurring. I have now been on it for 10 years but the thought of getting that pain again makes me shudder, Good luck
Gout on 16:11 - Apr 11 with 1914 viewsWD19

Gout on 15:44 - Apr 11 by BlueBadger

Go easy on the the booze and fatty foods and you'll get a fair reduction in symptoms. A glass or two of tonic water may help as well.

OK, but what if he doesn’t want such an invasive course of treatment!?
Gout on 17:09 - Apr 11 with 1816 viewsLord_Lucan

Gout on 15:44 - Apr 11 by BlueBadger

Thanks, can I have some gin with that?

On a more serious note, is it advisable switching from red to white wine?*****

***** I currently only drink two days a week and I don't drink as much as I used to per evening.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Gout on 17:14 - Apr 11 with 1795 viewsjeera

Strangely mine has been a bit better.

Yes your elbow could be a symptom too, like any joint.

It's to do with how the kidneys process purines in your food, uric acid forms crystals which get carried around the bloodstream and dumped off in in a few places. Why it always starts in the toes/foot I dunno.

Red meat can set it off, beer, marmite...

Actually think of all the things you like and those are all your enemy. Some seeds are ok, like pumpkin or sunflower or something apparently.

None of the fangled stuff works and you will need to speak to a doc. He/she will prescribe [likely] Allopurinol and Colchicine.

Until the body gets used to it the Allopurinol can cause flare-ups [I know, fun right] and the Colchicine is to protect you from that.

I can confirm even a bedsheet touching my skin made me wanna scream for the first week.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Gout on 17:14 - Apr 11 with 1794 viewssundaze

I first started getting this a couple of years ago, it would come and go quite frequently. A friend of mine who had been suffering for a number of years had been doing a lot of research and told me some surprising info which I was reluctant to believe, but at the same time, because of the pain, I gave it a go.
He told me to stop eating white meat, total opposite for me as I had been keeping away from red meat. I should eat more cheese, that should be popular on here and take Montmorency cherry capsules, hopefully still available to buy.

As I said, I gave it a go and incredibly it worked for me, over two years down the line and I haven't had another flare up yet. I still stick to the diet, not sure if it works, or I just got lucky, but I don't want to take the chance and experience that pain again.
I was also told it is hereditary and I know my father has suffered with it in the past, but he was always told it was too much red wine.

Whatever you try, I hope it works for you and you have my sympathies for your pain.
Gout on 17:20 - Apr 11 with 1780 viewsjeera

Gout on 17:14 - Apr 11 by sundaze

I first started getting this a couple of years ago, it would come and go quite frequently. A friend of mine who had been suffering for a number of years had been doing a lot of research and told me some surprising info which I was reluctant to believe, but at the same time, because of the pain, I gave it a go.
He told me to stop eating white meat, total opposite for me as I had been keeping away from red meat. I should eat more cheese, that should be popular on here and take Montmorency cherry capsules, hopefully still available to buy.

As I said, I gave it a go and incredibly it worked for me, over two years down the line and I haven't had another flare up yet. I still stick to the diet, not sure if it works, or I just got lucky, but I don't want to take the chance and experience that pain again.
I was also told it is hereditary and I know my father has suffered with it in the past, but he was always told it was too much red wine.

Whatever you try, I hope it works for you and you have my sympathies for your pain.

May I politely suggest that, although there's no doubt diet plays its part, if those measures worked for you then it would have probably subsided anyway. It does for some fortunate people and they tend to suffer periodically.

It really is down to purines, which seem to be found in almost everything but at varying levels. Even spinach is bad for heaven's sake.

There are plenty of graphs online which show groups of foods and their levels that can be downloaded.

White meat contains less in that department than red, so maybe your friend made the common mistake of considering pork as white meat because of its colour. That's possible.
[Post edited 11 Apr 2020 17:22]

Login to get fewer ads

Gout on 17:21 - Apr 11 with 1777 viewsChondzoresk

I’m stuck on Allopurinol once per day for my gout. You have my sympathies. Stay away from alcohol. Eat healthier too.
Gout on 17:29 - Apr 11 with 1758 viewsjeera

Gout on 17:21 - Apr 11 by Chondzoresk

I’m stuck on Allopurinol once per day for my gout. You have my sympathies. Stay away from alcohol. Eat healthier too.

Once a day not too bad? Or do you simply take yours all in one go?

I'm on 100g twice a day.

I'm sure like me you had a series of blood tests to get the adjustment right.

Thing is people who do get it regularly need to understand, is that those crystals also get carried through the heart as the blood circulates, and that for those with a high level can cause serious problems.

So, yes, that's where the drugs come in. Marvellous invention. How would anyone live with that excruciating pain?

Gout on 17:31 - Apr 11 with 1746 viewsmidastouch

https://www.lifesourcevitamins.com/gout-conditions-cure-p/nosku213.htm
There is some diet advice for gout at the above link.

Also, not sure if this is any good (see link below), quite expensive but might be worth a punt if you're prepared to gamble £25 on them.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/NutriGout-Support-Formula-Vegetarian-Capsules/dp/B07JN7
Perhaps read the reviews to see if they give any clues.

Hope you feel better soon.

Poll: Would you trade Marcus Evans for Mike Ashley?

Gout on 17:42 - Apr 11 with 1714 viewssundaze

Gout on 17:20 - Apr 11 by jeera

May I politely suggest that, although there's no doubt diet plays its part, if those measures worked for you then it would have probably subsided anyway. It does for some fortunate people and they tend to suffer periodically.

It really is down to purines, which seem to be found in almost everything but at varying levels. Even spinach is bad for heaven's sake.

There are plenty of graphs online which show groups of foods and their levels that can be downloaded.

White meat contains less in that department than red, so maybe your friend made the common mistake of considering pork as white meat because of its colour. That's possible.
[Post edited 11 Apr 2020 17:22]

That's fair enough, I often wonder about it all myself and perhaps I have just managed to convince my body that because of what I am doing, everything is fine.

It wasn't pork he was telling me about, it was chicken and turkey. I guess I should try eating it again one day to see how it goes, it would make meals a lot easier.
Gout on 17:44 - Apr 11 with 1711 viewseireblue

Tips.

Friend of mine had it bad, switched to cider, after GP treatment had ended.

I had a mild case, still painful, but intermittent. I also used to get cramp in the same foot. So just kept rehydrated, and a lack of alcohol helped. If it gets triggered now, it tends to be dehydration after exercise, than a specific type of alcohol, that causes it.
Gout on 17:47 - Apr 11 with 1703 viewsjeera

Gout on 17:42 - Apr 11 by sundaze

That's fair enough, I often wonder about it all myself and perhaps I have just managed to convince my body that because of what I am doing, everything is fine.

It wasn't pork he was telling me about, it was chicken and turkey. I guess I should try eating it again one day to see how it goes, it would make meals a lot easier.

Check out some of the graphs online - they can really be helpful to print off and pin up somewhere until you get the gist, you know.

I had one that showed the worst culprits in red, working downwards through orange to yellow to white.

Seeds, yum, lovely seeds. Bad juicy red steak. (ffs).
[Post edited 11 Apr 2020 19:09]

Gout on 17:50 - Apr 11 with 1695 viewsjeera

Gout on 17:44 - Apr 11 by eireblue

Tips.

Friend of mine had it bad, switched to cider, after GP treatment had ended.

I had a mild case, still painful, but intermittent. I also used to get cramp in the same foot. So just kept rehydrated, and a lack of alcohol helped. If it gets triggered now, it tends to be dehydration after exercise, than a specific type of alcohol, that causes it.

It's the yeast in beer that's the culprit when it comes to beer vs cider.

But other people get various triggers. Some swear by red wine.

Mr Pickwick, of course, drank too much port. Apparently.

Dunno about GP treatment being over though, more often than not once on the Allopurinol it's for life. Your mate's in the lucky camp.

Gout on 17:52 - Apr 11 with 1670 viewsGlasgowBlue

Gout on 17:50 - Apr 11 by jeera

It's the yeast in beer that's the culprit when it comes to beer vs cider.

But other people get various triggers. Some swear by red wine.

Mr Pickwick, of course, drank too much port. Apparently.

Dunno about GP treatment being over though, more often than not once on the Allopurinol it's for life. Your mate's in the lucky camp.

Tight shoes can also be a trigger. I played in a charity game a while ago, couldn't find my boots so used my boy's, who is a size smaller, and that was the trigger.

Iron Lion Zion

Gout on 18:01 - Apr 11 with 1661 viewsjeera

Gout on 17:52 - Apr 11 by GlasgowBlue

Tight shoes can also be a trigger. I played in a charity game a while ago, couldn't find my boots so used my boy's, who is a size smaller, and that was the trigger.

Restricting the blood flow.

That makes sense.

Gout on 18:13 - Apr 11 with 1634 viewsKingsCrossBlue

Hello Lucan,

My Mrs’ Dad suffers from gout regularly and celery clears it up in about a day. I scoffed at first but it seems to really work if you tolerate eating it. He liquidises it and mixes it with apple juice or a smoothie to disguise it.

I always remember my uncle having gout. Although he had a daily sugar sandwich and a pint of cider for breakfast.
Gout on 18:24 - Apr 11 with 1608 viewsjontysnut

Im on allopurinol. I still drink beer but avoid certain foods like shellfish, lots of red meat, beef stock and a few other things which can trigger an attack. Just about keeps it in balance. Indomethacin if I get a twinge.

On holiday in France when the wife was pregnant I put away about 2 dozen oysters teasing her about what she was missing. 2 days later I would gladly have cut my foot off!
Gout on 18:55 - Apr 11 with 1557 viewsLord_Lucan

Gout on 18:13 - Apr 11 by KingsCrossBlue

Hello Lucan,

My Mrs’ Dad suffers from gout regularly and celery clears it up in about a day. I scoffed at first but it seems to really work if you tolerate eating it. He liquidises it and mixes it with apple juice or a smoothie to disguise it.

I always remember my uncle having gout. Although he had a daily sugar sandwich and a pint of cider for breakfast.

Ooh I do like celery, I also like a breakfast cider.

Gout on 18:58 - Apr 11 with 1553 viewsjeera

Gout on 18:55 - Apr 11 by Lord_Lucan

Ooh I do like celery, I also like a breakfast cider.

I have given you the medical answer and that's what you take from this thread?!

Gout on 18:59 - Apr 11 with 1550 viewsLord_Lucan

Gout on 18:58 - Apr 11 by jeera

I have given you the medical answer and that's what you take from this thread?!

Stop press; I've been a big girls blouse and called 111 for a call back and hopefully a prescription.

Gout on 19:01 - Apr 11 with 1531 viewsGlasgowBlue

Gout on 18:59 - Apr 11 by Lord_Lucan

Stop press; I've been a big girls blouse and called 111 for a call back and hopefully a prescription.

Specifically ask for Colchicine. Will clear it up pdq. Although not as quickly as a Cortisone injection.

Iron Lion Zion

Gout on 19:03 - Apr 11 with 1535 viewsjeera

Gout on 18:59 - Apr 11 by Lord_Lucan

The pain described by my GP at the time:

"As I understand it, it's like someone has drilled a tiny hole into the end of your bones and then forced a large screw into the hole.

And then turned it and turned it..."

"Yes doctor - that is exactly how it feels!"

Gout on 19:25 - Apr 11 with 1461 viewsSwansea_Blue

Never knew it was so popular. The only person I’ve known who had it was an old piss head, so I’d assumed that was the typical sufferer. Mind you, looking at those of you posting there might be something in that .

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024