Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Resuming football is going to be comedy gold 15:18 - May 3 with 3155 viewsBasuco

This is the latest on finishing the season from Brighton.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52517532
Resuming football is going to be comedy gold on 15:43 - May 3 with 2825 viewsITFC_Forever

Not sure home advantage is much of a benefit when it’s an empty stadium?!

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Resuming football is going to be comedy gold on 16:01 - May 3 with 2772 viewsAce_High1

Resuming football is going to be comedy gold on 15:43 - May 3 by ITFC_Forever

Not sure home advantage is much of a benefit when it’s an empty stadium?!

It is all just a game for the bottom six teams to get the PL to scrape relegation.

Once they do that suddenly none of the clubs at the bottom will mind games are at neutral venues.
Resuming football is going to be comedy gold on 16:12 - May 3 with 2756 viewsDennyx4

It is purely to influence no relegation for them.

I still feel the best way is not to make a decision until we are able to play football - why abandon a season, when you do not know when you can start the next properly.

Why scrap relegation? Only benefits the teams that would go down.

Promotion without relegation is not a suitable answer for me.
[Post edited 3 May 2020 16:13]
Resuming football is going to be comedy gold on 16:15 - May 3 with 2737 viewsPJH

Resuming football is going to be comedy gold on 16:12 - May 3 by Dennyx4

I still feel the best way is not to make a decision until we are able to play football - why abandon a season, when you do not know when you can start the next properly.

I do not think that anything that keeps Naarwich in the top division is a suitable answer.

What the PL is mostly worried about is TV money,nothing to do with 'integrity of the competition'.
Resuming football is going to be comedy gold on 16:17 - May 3 with 2732 viewsDennyx4

Resuming football is going to be comedy gold on 16:15 - May 3 by PJH

I do not think that anything that keeps Naarwich in the top division is a suitable answer.

What the PL is mostly worried about is TV money,nothing to do with 'integrity of the competition'.

Agree, saw Eadie on the TV the other day, pleading for the season to be cancelled.
Resuming football is going to be comedy gold on 16:17 - May 3 with 2728 viewsFtnfwest

Automatic relegation for furloughing all their staff
Resuming football is going to be comedy gold on 16:19 - May 3 with 2723 viewsWD19

If there is no relegation what is the point of playing the games? They will all be behind closed doors anyway.

As I have said several times on here, it would be peak ‘Premier league’ to find a way for the league to be voided enough for no relegation but not quite voided enough to avoid giving Liverpool the title.

It’s all boll*cks.
Resuming football is going to be comedy gold on 16:25 - May 3 with 2698 viewsITFC_Forever

Resuming football is going to be comedy gold on 16:19 - May 3 by WD19

If there is no relegation what is the point of playing the games? They will all be behind closed doors anyway.

As I have said several times on here, it would be peak ‘Premier league’ to find a way for the league to be voided enough for no relegation but not quite voided enough to avoid giving Liverpool the title.

It’s all boll*cks.

And the fact that Liverpool are far closer to winning the league than any of the teams are to going down....

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Login to get fewer ads

Resuming football is going to be comedy gold on 16:59 - May 3 with 2632 viewssundaze

It’s all boll*cks.

Agreed. If they restart the league without relegation, what is left to play for? Liverpool have already got more than enough points to win the league, Man City are guaranteed 2nd, so basically it would just be deciding the remaining Champ league places.
The remaining games would be like playing pre season matches, with five subs being used, no crowds and the majority of teams going through the motions just to get their millions.

I doubt it will restart, remaining games will award teams points per game based on their average to date, legal action will be threatened, but in the current climate with business's going bust all over the country, will there be an appetite amongst fans to watch a prolonged fight for...…. money.
Resuming football is going to be comedy gold on 17:05 - May 3 with 2611 viewsfactual_blue

Resuming football is going to be comedy gold on 16:12 - May 3 by Dennyx4

Once Premier League relegation is gone, it will never come back.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Resuming football is going to be comedy gold on 17:07 - May 3 with 2599 viewsFixed_It

Resuming football is going to be comedy gold on 17:05 - May 3 by factual_blue

Once Premier League relegation is gone, it will never come back.

They'd love that.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Resuming football is going to be comedy gold on 17:10 - May 3 with 2589 viewspointofblue

Resuming football is going to be comedy gold on 16:59 - May 3 by sundaze

Agreed. If they restart the league without relegation, what is left to play for? Liverpool have already got more than enough points to win the league, Man City are guaranteed 2nd, so basically it would just be deciding the remaining Champ league places.
The remaining games would be like playing pre season matches, with five subs being used, no crowds and the majority of teams going through the motions just to get their millions.

I doubt it will restart, remaining games will award teams points per game based on their average to date, legal action will be threatened, but in the current climate with business's going bust all over the country, will there be an appetite amongst fans to watch a prolonged fight for...…. money.

Manchester City are all but guaranteed second though are banned from European competition which means finishing fifth will take on an extra dimension.

I don't think football clubs live in the real world so I'm sure there will be a prolonged legal battle unless the season is finished in full at the 'correct grounds' or is void - clubs may just accept Liverpool being given the title but that's it.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Resuming football is going to be comedy gold on 17:10 - May 3 with 2586 viewsStenvict

I would rather the current season was declared null and void. Let's be honest, Norwich are in a solid financial position, unfortunately, and if they were to be relegated this season, they are more than likely to go straight back up again.

If the season were declared null and avoid, at least we would have the opportunity to make sure the history books only had us in League 1 for one season, because there is no way we're going up this season if it is finished.

For me, I care more about Ipswich's success, than Norwich's failure, and I'd like to think any Ipswich fan would feel the same.

Poll: What will be announced first?

Resuming football is going to be comedy gold on 17:14 - May 3 with 2578 viewsFixed_It

They should decide the remaining matches with a virus-tested representative from each team playing Rock Paper Scissors. Best of three, unless Scum win in which case it becomes best out of 5, 7, 9...

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Resuming football is going to be comedy gold on 17:21 - May 3 with 2564 viewssundaze

Resuming football is going to be comedy gold on 17:10 - May 3 by Stenvict

I would rather the current season was declared null and void. Let's be honest, Norwich are in a solid financial position, unfortunately, and if they were to be relegated this season, they are more than likely to go straight back up again.

If the season were declared null and avoid, at least we would have the opportunity to make sure the history books only had us in League 1 for one season, because there is no way we're going up this season if it is finished.

For me, I care more about Ipswich's success, than Norwich's failure, and I'd like to think any Ipswich fan would feel the same.

They are two separate matters. League one will be declared null and void, but we are talking about the premier league where all the money is.
Resuming football is going to be comedy gold on 17:24 - May 3 with 2552 viewspointofblue

Resuming football is going to be comedy gold on 17:10 - May 3 by Stenvict

Norwich can't be that secure financially having furloughed their staff.

If we're in League One for two seasons we're in it for two seasons, or three, or four. We'll get the success (or lack of) we deserve whether they void this season or not.

Resuming football is going to be comedy gold on 17:42 - May 3 with 2505 viewsrgp1

Resuming football is going to be comedy gold on 17:24 - May 3 by pointofblue

If we're in League One for two seasons we're in it for two seasons, or three, or four. We'll get the success (or lack of) we deserve whether they void this season or not.

I agree totally, it's also worth considering that if and when football restarts as we know it there could be a number of casualties. By that I means clubs going to the wall at ALL levels. If this happens then divisions or leagues may need restructuring. If for example 10 clubs go bust in leagues 1 and 2 and a number of non league clubs go bust as well then what's next. If the government says no football for a prolonged period and a handful of premier league clubs go then what next?

Where are sky going to fund them from if subscribers are not funding them?
Resuming football is going to be comedy gold on 17:45 - May 3 with 2497 viewsStenvict

Resuming football is going to be comedy gold on 17:21 - May 3 by sundaze

They are two separate matters. League one will be declared null and void, but we are talking about the premier league where all the money is.

The EFL will follow whatever the Premier League does.

Resuming football is going to be comedy gold on 17:48 - May 3 with 2491 viewsStenvict

Resuming football is going to be comedy gold on 17:24 - May 3 by pointofblue

Parachute payments will help them though if and when they go down.

Resuming football is going to be comedy gold on 17:53 - May 3 with 2467 viewspointofblue

Resuming football is going to be comedy gold on 17:48 - May 3 by Stenvict

Parachute payments will help them though if and when they go down.

Which would be less than if they get another season in the Premier League.

The season may restart and they'll survive and fair dos if they do; they should be given a chance. I just don't agree with voiding the season just because there's a long term obsession particularly around European club competition and Euro 2021.

Resuming football is going to be comedy gold on 18:04 - May 3 with 2451 viewsSwansea_Blue

Neutral grounds? It's turning into a farce. Just scrap the season and then deal with the consequences. In the grand scheme of things football is irrelevant.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Resuming football is going to be comedy gold on 19:58 - May 3 with 2323 viewssundaze

Resuming football is going to be comedy gold on 17:45 - May 3 by Stenvict

The EFL will follow whatever the Premier League does.

Not without money to do it. The premier league will lose huge money if they don't finish the season because of tv rights around the world, championship rights are only a fraction compared to Premier league.
Where is the money for league one and league two? Who is paying big money to enable the season to be played to a finish at neutral venues?
Resuming football is going to be comedy gold on 10:11 - May 4 with 2062 viewsmparkyn

what is the point of neutral grounds ? play games at your ground (at least everyone plays at their own empty ground)- make it clear anyone showing up will be subject to breaking the isolation rules and make all the games watchable (even for a small fee) on TV or the internet

Ealing Blue

Resuming football is going to be comedy gold on 10:14 - May 4 with 2052 viewsLeaky

It’s all boll*cks.

Its purely so they do not have to repay the TV money. Like you say no point in finishing the league if there is no relegation. Liverpool have won the league so there's only Euro places to play for at the top.
Resuming football is going to be comedy gold on 10:24 - May 4 with 2034 viewsNotSure

Resuming football is going to be comedy gold on 10:14 - May 4 by Leaky

Its purely so they do not have to repay the TV money. Like you say no point in finishing the league if there is no relegation. Liverpool have won the league so there's only Euro places to play for at the top.

The problem with relegation is who on earth do you relegate if you finish the season now? Norwich obviously but 19th placed Villa having a game in hand and then Bournemouth, Watford and West Ham all on the same number of points and games.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/table

And if they make the season null and void they lose loads of TV money. Next season will also be disrupted so you can't make the league bigger because you won't be able to complete it time.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024