Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Public service announcement for the Twtd 'new to cycling' massive 09:22 - May 11 with 1905 viewsbluelagos

Ahead of Wednesday's 'Cycle as many times as you want' rules...

I tried a pair of those bibs yesterday. They hold you tight and go over your shoulders thus avoiding showing off bum cleavage. But be super careful if you buy some cos if you get a pair too small, your b0ll0cks will end up closer to your shoulders than nature intended.

I now understand why so many bikers walk bow legged. I always thought it was cos of heavy legs. It isn't.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Public service announcement for the Twtd 'new to cycling' massive on 12:10 - May 11 with 1529 viewsSwansea_Blue

I've got a tight pair and a loose pair. The tight pair are better for padding, the lose pair don't force my nads up above my belly button. Choosing before a ride is like being asked to chose your own torture method.

There must be an easier way. God knows how I spend literally days on end on my bike as a kid with none of these problems.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Public service announcement for the Twtd 'new to cycling' massive on 12:12 - May 11 with 1523 viewsgiant_stow

Sorry to add to your thread, but why when I cycle, do the front of the bottom of my thighs ache? just above the knee... Am i doing somethng wrong?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Public service announcement for the Twtd 'new to cycling' massive on 12:15 - May 11 with 1514 viewsfooters

Public service announcement for the Twtd 'new to cycling' massive on 12:12 - May 11 by giant_stow

Sorry to add to your thread, but why when I cycle, do the front of the bottom of my thighs ache? just above the knee... Am i doing somethng wrong?

Yes, it's called 'exercise', a most uncouth and painful pursuit. Avoid at all costs.

footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Public service announcement for the Twtd 'new to cycling' massive on 12:18 - May 11 with 1503 viewsgiant_stow

Public service announcement for the Twtd 'new to cycling' massive on 12:15 - May 11 by footers

Yes, it's called 'exercise', a most uncouth and painful pursuit. Avoid at all costs.

Ahhh, I thought I didn't recognise the feeling.

Thanks for your help mr.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Public service announcement for the Twtd 'new to cycling' massive on 12:25 - May 11 with 1489 viewsIpswichKnight

Public service announcement for the Twtd 'new to cycling' massive on 12:12 - May 11 by giant_stow

You possibly might have the saddle at the wrong height, I suffered a bit from that until I moved the saddle up a bit and it seems to have helped.
Public service announcement for the Twtd 'new to cycling' massive on 12:28 - May 11 with 1486 viewsGeoffSentence

Public service announcement for the Twtd 'new to cycling' massive on 12:10 - May 11 by Swansea_Blue

I've got a tight pair and a loose pair. The tight pair are better for padding, the lose pair don't force my nads up above my belly button. Choosing before a ride is like being asked to chose your own torture method.

There must be an easier way. God knows how I spend literally days on end on my bike as a kid with none of these problems.

maybe they hadnt yet dropped

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Public service announcement for the Twtd 'new to cycling' massive on 12:29 - May 11 with 1478 viewsgiant_stow

Public service announcement for the Twtd 'new to cycling' massive on 12:25 - May 11 by IpswichKnight

You possibly might have the saddle at the wrong height, I suffered a bit from that until I moved the saddle up a bit and it seems to have helped.

Thats very kind of you mr - I'll this.

Public service announcement for the Twtd 'new to cycling' massive on 12:32 - May 11 with 1477 viewsbluelagos

Public service announcement for the Twtd 'new to cycling' massive on 12:10 - May 11 by Swansea_Blue

Problem is, if you don't keep things secure - you get like a two hour "Newton's cradle" going on - which isn't going to end well either.

Fiik the answer.

Login to get fewer ads

Public service announcement for the Twtd 'new to cycling' massive on 12:37 - May 11 with 1467 viewshampstead_blue

I've just got into cycling.

I use Sports Purist for gears. Loads of great stuff cheap. The bib is interesting. Never had one before but can say it's a game changer.

Am loving it.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Public service announcement for the Twtd 'new to cycling' massive on 13:28 - May 11 with 1420 viewsTractorWood

Public service announcement for the Twtd 'new to cycling' massive on 12:37 - May 11 by hampstead_blue

I've just got into cycling.

I use Sports Purist for gears. Loads of great stuff cheap. The bib is interesting. Never had one before but can say it's a game changer.

Am loving it.

I exclusively use bibs and have done for years. I regularly cycle over a 100 miles a week. Sometimes get closer to 200.

Get a decent pair. They should be snug but not uncomfortable. I'd recommend Giordana. Italian made but not too expensive if you find a pair in the sale

https://www.bikeloungeonline.com/

Lastly sounds gross but have to go commando. Essential.

OP - defo got the wrong size.
[Post edited 11 May 2020 13:32]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Public service announcement for the Twtd 'new to cycling' massive on 13:33 - May 11 with 1401 viewsAndrew4445

Public service announcement for the Twtd 'new to cycling' massive on 12:29 - May 11 by giant_stow

Thats very kind of you mr - I'll this.

Have a look on Youtube for rudimentary bike fit videos, they will help with initial set up. For saddle height balance next to wall and move one peddle so it is at 6 o'clock. Place your heel on the peddle and if the saddle height is correct your leg should be straight. When you then move to the ball of your foot being on the peddle you should have a slight bend in the knee at the same 6 o'clock position.

It may just be your muscles adapting. I haven't ridden a lot during lock down but have used the cross trainer, it seems to work a completely different set of muscles so when I cycle I can feel the bottom of the thigh is getting a proper work out.

GCN have good bike fit videos on Youtube as do a few others - avoid anything requiring tape measures and calculations, you don't need that - just use the generally accepted principles and tweak from there. I did this and then went for a proper bike fit and I only needed a few tweaks to the rule of thumb position.
Public service announcement for the Twtd 'new to cycling' massive on 13:46 - May 11 with 1393 viewsSwansea_Blue

Public service announcement for the Twtd 'new to cycling' massive on 12:32 - May 11 by bluelagos

Problem is, if you don't keep things secure - you get like a two hour "Newton's cradle" going on - which isn't going to end well either.

Fiik the answer.

I do find keeping things secure the best option despite the shrivelling experience. Potential separation issues either side of the nose of the saddle are a worry if things are too loose. And I have nightmares about those saddles with a cutout - you definitely don't want any dangliness around those.

Public service announcement for the Twtd 'new to cycling' massive on 13:48 - May 11 with 1389 viewsSwansea_Blue

Public service announcement for the Twtd 'new to cycling' massive on 13:28 - May 11 by TractorWood

I exclusively use bibs and have done for years. I regularly cycle over a 100 miles a week. Sometimes get closer to 200.

Get a decent pair. They should be snug but not uncomfortable. I'd recommend Giordana. Italian made but not too expensive if you find a pair in the sale

"OP - defo got the wrong size". No need to get personal

Public service announcement for the Twtd 'new to cycling' massive on 14:24 - May 11 with 1363 viewsgiant_stow

Public service announcement for the Twtd 'new to cycling' massive on 13:33 - May 11 by Andrew4445

Have a look on Youtube for rudimentary bike fit videos, they will help with initial set up. For saddle height balance next to wall and move one peddle so it is at 6 o'clock. Place your heel on the peddle and if the saddle height is correct your leg should be straight. When you then move to the ball of your foot being on the peddle you should have a slight bend in the knee at the same 6 o'clock position.

It may just be your muscles adapting. I haven't ridden a lot during lock down but have used the cross trainer, it seems to work a completely different set of muscles so when I cycle I can feel the bottom of the thigh is getting a proper work out.

GCN have good bike fit videos on Youtube as do a few others - avoid anything requiring tape measures and calculations, you don't need that - just use the generally accepted principles and tweak from there. I did this and then went for a proper bike fit and I only needed a few tweaks to the rule of thumb position.

Thanks loads - off to do that 6 o'clock thing!

Public service announcement for the Twtd 'new to cycling' massive on 14:42 - May 11 with 1353 viewsNthQldITFC

Public service announcement for the Twtd 'new to cycling' massive on 12:25 - May 11 by IpswichKnight

But also be careful not to have your saddle too high. I raised mine about 10mm before a 150km ride last year, and by the halfway point I'd got extremely sore tendons in the back of my knee. I realised what the problem was then, and dropped it back down and then some. The rest of the ride was painful but I limped home. However it took months for the damage to 'fully' repair, and I'm extremely wary about saddle height now.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Public service announcement for the Twtd 'new to cycling' massive on 15:02 - May 11 with 1337 viewsAndrew4445

Public service announcement for the Twtd 'new to cycling' massive on 14:24 - May 11 by giant_stow

This might help.

Remember to try and keep your back straight and pull your elbows into the body - it was described to me by the bike fit pro as squeezing lemons in your arm pits. It helps with position and helps to stop back pain.
Public service announcement for the Twtd 'new to cycling' massive on 15:17 - May 11 with 1326 viewseireblue

Public service announcement for the Twtd 'new to cycling' massive on 15:02 - May 11 by Andrew4445

This might help.

Remember to try and keep your back straight and pull your elbows into the body - it was described to me by the bike fit pro as squeezing lemons in your arm pits. It helps with position and helps to stop back pain.

If you use actual lemons, they can perk up your drink as well.

The pro’s of course use limes, the smaller size has aero benefits and more magnesium is welcome on very long rides.
Public service announcement for the Twtd 'new to cycling' massive on 15:18 - May 11 with 1324 viewsAndrew4445

Public service announcement for the Twtd 'new to cycling' massive on 15:17 - May 11 by eireblue

If you use actual lemons, they can perk up your drink as well.

The pro’s of course use limes, the smaller size has aero benefits and more magnesium is welcome on very long rides.

That's next level stuff, although after a long ride you might end up with an odd tasting cocktail.
Public service announcement for the Twtd 'new to cycling' massive on 15:52 - May 11 with 1308 viewsEwan_Oozami

Public service announcement for the Twtd 'new to cycling' massive on 14:24 - May 11 by giant_stow

Don't forget to wear your usual cycling shoes/trainers when doing this of course! :-)

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Public service announcement for the Twtd 'new to cycling' massive on 16:56 - May 11 with 1292 viewshampstead_blue

Public service announcement for the Twtd 'new to cycling' massive on 13:28 - May 11 by TractorWood

Good site.
This is what I got.
https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/730035

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Public service announcement for the Twtd 'new to cycling' massive on 17:02 - May 11 with 1289 viewsbluelagos

Public service announcement for the Twtd 'new to cycling' massive on 15:02 - May 11 by Andrew4445

This might help.

Think I'll try tipping the seat down a bit. Cycling mate also advised I stand up / cycle more as my arse cheeks are getting very numb towards the end of a 30 miler.

Public service announcement for the Twtd 'new to cycling' massive on 17:26 - May 11 with 1281 viewsAndrew4445

Public service announcement for the Twtd 'new to cycling' massive on 17:02 - May 11 by bluelagos

Think I'll try tipping the seat down a bit. Cycling mate also advised I stand up / cycle more as my arse cheeks are getting very numb towards the end of a 30 miler.

Normally you wouldn't much more than a few degrees, too much would suggest a problem elsewhere in your setup.

It might be the stem length forcing you too upright or the wrong width / style of saddle.

Try and experiment as best you can - listen to your body, if you have aches and pains (beyond the normal) don't push on.

When this all settles down it might be worth going for a basic fit with a pro.

Good luck.
Public service announcement for the Twtd 'new to cycling' massive on 17:28 - May 11 with 1275 viewsbluelagos

Public service announcement for the Twtd 'new to cycling' massive on 17:26 - May 11 by Andrew4445

Normally you wouldn't much more than a few degrees, too much would suggest a problem elsewhere in your setup.

It might be the stem length forcing you too upright or the wrong width / style of saddle.

Try and experiment as best you can - listen to your body, if you have aches and pains (beyond the normal) don't push on.

When this all settles down it might be worth going for a basic fit with a pro.

Good luck.

How much does that cost?

Given I am hoping to do LeJog in September - long fcking way with a sore arse!

Public service announcement for the Twtd 'new to cycling' massive on 18:15 - May 11 with 1246 viewseireblue

Public service announcement for the Twtd 'new to cycling' massive on 15:18 - May 11 by Andrew4445

That's next level stuff, although after a long ride you might end up with an odd tasting cocktail.

I never share the secret to my unique Margaritas when entertaining.

But the 3 hour delay to make one is probably raising suspicions.
Public service announcement for the Twtd 'new to cycling' massive on 18:53 - May 11 with 1230 viewsEwan_Oozami

Public service announcement for the Twtd 'new to cycling' massive on 17:02 - May 11 by bluelagos

Good advice, when I get that problem, I get into a higher gear and just stand on the pedals for a couple of minutes, stretch my legs and give my bum a rest - ideally done on a flattish, straight bit of road so you're not working your quads too much or worrying about corners....

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024