Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone still washing their post or shopping 18:10 - May 13 with 3166 viewsSwansea_Blue

more than themselves?

When will this end? Everything that comes into our place gets washed down straight away with hot soapy water. Took at least an hour to do our last big shop. Madness.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Anyone still washing their post or shopping on 21:24 - May 13 with 386 viewsjeera

Anyone still washing their post or shopping on 21:24 - May 13 by BanksterDebtSlave

Nope I totally think it is a real thing.

Edit... I just think I am more likely to breathe it in than be assaulted by a tin of baked beans.
[Post edited 13 May 2020 21:25]

Ok.

Can you stop editing your replies please!?

I can't keep up with what I'm supposed to be answering.

I think I can safely say no one here has been washing individual baked beans.

I may be wrong of course.
[Post edited 13 May 2020 21:30]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Anyone still washing their post or shopping on 21:33 - May 13 with 372 viewsRyorry

Anyone still washing their post or shopping on 19:34 - May 13 by DebsyAngel

Yet I read on other sites to do that! It isn't hand soap, just a small amount of washing up liquid. I feel I cannot do anything right and then I go on a downwards spiral. Not having a pop at you Ryorry, but just advice in general - read one place to do this, then another place to do the opposite!

Completely understand re conflicting advice, just read as much as you can & go with what you feel is best.

Washing-up liuid may not be as bad as soap because at least (I'm guessing, not an expert) it's manufactured on the basis that a small amount of residue may get ingested, whereas soap isn't, and it's been shown clearly that soap residue isn't good for your guts.

I also asked on here several weeks ago if you could get Covid_19 by ingesting it, and the overwhelming response, with scientific links provided, was that no you couldn't, as stomach acid will kill it. So, as long as you wash your hands before & after eating, I'd have thought it more of a risk to wash fruit with warm soapy water even if you rinse, than if you wash it as normal under cold running water. That's my personal opinion anyway.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Anyone still washing their post or shopping on 21:35 - May 13 with 369 viewsjeera

Anyone still washing their post or shopping on 21:33 - May 13 by Ryorry

Completely understand re conflicting advice, just read as much as you can & go with what you feel is best.

Washing-up liuid may not be as bad as soap because at least (I'm guessing, not an expert) it's manufactured on the basis that a small amount of residue may get ingested, whereas soap isn't, and it's been shown clearly that soap residue isn't good for your guts.

I also asked on here several weeks ago if you could get Covid_19 by ingesting it, and the overwhelming response, with scientific links provided, was that no you couldn't, as stomach acid will kill it. So, as long as you wash your hands before & after eating, I'd have thought it more of a risk to wash fruit with warm soapy water even if you rinse, than if you wash it as normal under cold running water. That's my personal opinion anyway.

But no one is suggesting you can ingest it.

Nor are they disinfecting grapes.

Unless Debs is. I must admit I haven't checked back.

Anyone still washing their post or shopping on 21:40 - May 13 with 365 viewsRyorry

Anyone still washing their post or shopping on 21:21 - May 13 by jeera

But that suits you.

For me, I may put a new item into a cupboard that I use a lot, probably the same as Bully.

So yes, if the virus can live in there for a few days then that's a few days too many.

I don't know why anyone would wish to talk anyone out of making an extra effort.

I don't wish to "talk anyone out of" doing anything - of course it's down to personal situations and choices.

We're all talking about what we individually do and why. If I'm putting something away that I want to use immediately, I'd just decant it into a new suitable container - cereal from a cardboard packet into a new freezer bag eg.

Anyone still washing their post or shopping on 21:41 - May 13 with 363 viewsBlueBadger

Good lord no, wash hands before and after handing stuff is plenty enough. Washing your shopping is for nutters.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Anyone still washing their post or shopping on 21:41 - May 13 with 359 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Anyone still washing their post or shopping on 21:24 - May 13 by jeera

Ok.

Can you stop editing your replies please!?

I can't keep up with what I'm supposed to be answering.

I think I can safely say no one here has been washing individual baked beans.

I may be wrong of course.
[Post edited 13 May 2020 21:30]

Tins !!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Anyone still washing their post or shopping on 21:42 - May 13 with 359 viewsRyorry

Anyone still washing their post or shopping on 21:35 - May 13 by jeera

She said she washes fruit with warm soapy water. Hence my replies.

I'm sure she wouldn't want an argument about it!

Anyone still washing their post or shopping on 21:44 - May 13 with 352 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Anyone still washing their post or shopping on 21:41 - May 13 by BlueBadger

Good lord no, wash hands before and after handing stuff is plenty enough. Washing your shopping is for nutters.

You can say that, I could not possibly comment!

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone still washing their post or shopping on 21:46 - May 13 with 352 viewsjeera

Anyone still washing their post or shopping on 21:40 - May 13 by Ryorry

I don't wish to "talk anyone out of" doing anything - of course it's down to personal situations and choices.

We're all talking about what we individually do and why. If I'm putting something away that I want to use immediately, I'd just decant it into a new suitable container - cereal from a cardboard packet into a new freezer bag eg.

Because each time this has cropped up you've said you can't see why people bother.

Bully, for example, has been open that his wife has a condition. I suppose he loves her and wants to do all he feels possible to protect her. I fully support that and wouldn't want to say a word to make him doubt his efforts.

Or others like him.

Another poster on the thread keeps repeating we should wash our hands. Like in some way we dont?

I am capable of taking other steps as well as managing to wash my hands too. I find it a pretty straight forward concept.

Point is, either people accept the virus can stay on surfaces for a while or they don't. So for those of us who don't have a cellar, and have to place items with things that are already in cupboards, it makes sense to limit the chance of transference.

Sometimes, (and get this), I buy things I may want to use the next day and not have to leave in a spare room for a week.

Anyone still washing their post or shopping on 21:46 - May 13 with 353 viewsfooters

Anyone still washing their post or shopping on 21:41 - May 13 by BlueBadger

I left a week's worth of post to soak in the bath earlier. Do you reckon it's OK to touch now?

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Anyone still washing their post or shopping on 21:49 - May 13 with 347 viewsDebsyAngel

Anyone still washing their post or shopping on 21:35 - May 13 by jeera

Not buying grapes, so no worries there Jeera! Just apples, bananas and satsumas, and occasional veg like peppers. Potatoes get the wipes on the bag then put in a cupboard till need them.
Anyone still washing their post or shopping on 21:50 - May 13 with 344 viewsjeera

Anyone still washing their post or shopping on 21:41 - May 13 by BanksterDebtSlave

Tins !!

Things, not tins. Speak properly and none of that street talk nonsense.

Either you accept the virus can live on an object for a while or you don't.

And witnessing some dirty scrotes handling stuff in shops and putting them back...

In fact, I might even keep up the practice if or when this is all over.

Anyone still washing their post or shopping on 21:53 - May 13 with 341 viewsjeera

Anyone still washing their post or shopping on 21:49 - May 13 by DebsyAngel

Not buying grapes, so no worries there Jeera! Just apples, bananas and satsumas, and occasional veg like peppers. Potatoes get the wipes on the bag then put in a cupboard till need them.

Fair enough.

Bit of common sense without going overboard.

If you find yourself washing individual peas then you might need to calm it a bit.

But veg generally I remove from packaging and put in the fridge draw as normal as they can rot in plastic anyway. Wash as normal when ready to use.

But whatever makes you feel safe.

Anyone still washing their post or shopping on 21:55 - May 13 with 337 viewsRyorry

Anyone still washing their post or shopping on 21:46 - May 13 by jeera

Because each time this has cropped up you've said you can't see why people bother.

Bully, for example, has been open that his wife has a condition. I suppose he loves her and wants to do all he feels possible to protect her. I fully support that and wouldn't want to say a word to make him doubt his efforts.

Or others like him.

Another poster on the thread keeps repeating we should wash our hands. Like in some way we dont?

I am capable of taking other steps as well as managing to wash my hands too. I find it a pretty straight forward concept.

Point is, either people accept the virus can stay on surfaces for a while or they don't. So for those of us who don't have a cellar, and have to place items with things that are already in cupboards, it makes sense to limit the chance of transference.

Sometimes, (and get this), I buy things I may want to use the next day and not have to leave in a spare room for a week.

I fully understand other peoples' sutuations are different.

All I've done is said what I do and why, just like others on this thread have.

I'm not going to get into an argument with you.

Debsy - I was referring only to fruit that you don't peel, such as apples. I wouldn't have thought there's a problem with washing satsumas, bananas etc, with the warm soapy water as long as the quantity isn't so much that it soaks through to the fruit underneath.

Anyone still washing their post or shopping on 22:05 - May 13 with 319 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Anyone still washing their post or shopping on 21:50 - May 13 by jeera

Things, not tins. Speak properly and none of that street talk nonsense.

Either you accept the virus can live on an object for a while or you don't.

And witnessing some dirty scrotes handling stuff in shops and putting them back...

In fact, I might even keep up the practice if or when this is all over.

I looked at the list of ingredients on some packaging today... I also apply anti viral gel to my hands before entering and upon leaving the supermarket.

Anyone still washing their post or shopping on 22:27 - May 13 with 309 viewsbluelagos

How can you wash your post? It's paper.

I take the paper out of the envelope, and put the envelope in the recycling bin. That's pretty much it tbh.

Wash my hands before handling food, and am sure to wipe down my kitchen surfaces before/after food goes near them.

Shopping I just put it in the cupboards tbh. Never really thought about wiping it down.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Anyone still washing their post or shopping on 22:33 - May 13 with 306 viewsStokieBlue

Surely it's just easier to wash your hands after you touch something?

It won't survive on the surfaces until the time you want that tin of beans anyway.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Anyone still washing their post or shopping on 22:55 - May 13 with 290 viewssparks

Anyone still washing their post or shopping on 22:33 - May 13 by StokieBlue

Surely it's just easier to wash your hands after you touch something?

It won't survive on the surfaces until the time you want that tin of beans anyway.

SB

Well it could- if its a couple of days. Or its 24 hours and on your bread packets? Or longer int he fridge and on your butter carton?

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Anyone still washing their post or shopping on 23:05 - May 13 with 291 viewsronnyd

Had the front tyres renewed on the car last week at A14 Tyres in Bury. I gave them the security socket for the wheel nuts, which they promptly sanitised before they used it. On completion they sanitised it again before handing it back to me in a plastic bag. I paid by debit card, this entailed sanitising the card reader, also gave me a wipe to clean my card with. Was impressed with their procedures.
Anyone still washing their post or shopping on 23:06 - May 13 with 286 viewsStokieBlue

Anyone still washing their post or shopping on 22:55 - May 13 by sparks

Well it could- if its a couple of days. Or its 24 hours and on your bread packets? Or longer int he fridge and on your butter carton?

Yes that is true although you can wash you hands after touching any of those things and that's far easier than scrubbing everything with dettol in my opinion and it's good practice in general. I do understand people might find it easier to scrub everything.

Both the EU and UK cite food packaging as very low risk for transmission.

Each person should obviously do as they see fit though.

SB
[Post edited 13 May 2020 23:11]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Anyone still washing their post or shopping on 23:17 - May 13 with 276 viewsN2_Blue

Anyone still washing their post or shopping on 22:55 - May 13 by sparks

but it doesn't matter how long it survives if you wash your hands. You can't breathe it in if lying on a surface such as tin

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Anyone still washing their post or shopping on 23:18 - May 13 with 275 viewsN2_Blue

Anyone still washing their post or shopping on 23:06 - May 13 by StokieBlue

Yes that is true although you can wash you hands after touching any of those things and that's far easier than scrubbing everything with dettol in my opinion and it's good practice in general. I do understand people might find it easier to scrub everything.

SB

at least you get it SB!

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Anyone still washing their post or shopping on 23:20 - May 13 with 271 viewsWeWereZombies

Anyone still washing their post or shopping on 22:05 - May 13 by BanksterDebtSlave

I looked at the list of ingredients on some packaging today... I also apply anti viral gel to my hands before entering and upon leaving the supermarket.

I've been with everything that you have posted so far on this thread...and then you go and let the side down by using 'anti viral gel' - just get back in your Range Rover and listen to your Level 42 CD, will you?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Anyone still washing their post or shopping on 23:32 - May 13 with 258 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Anyone still washing their post or shopping on 23:20 - May 13 by WeWereZombies

I've been with everything that you have posted so far on this thread...and then you go and let the side down by using 'anti viral gel' - just get back in your Range Rover and listen to your Level 42 CD, will you?

It is my concession to shopping for vulnerable people. Tbh as a proponent of the lost art of hand dish washing up my hands are impregnated with washing up liquid and I probably shouldn't bother. Those germs need to be alert if they want to tangle with this Slave.

Anyone still washing their post or shopping on 23:41 - May 13 with 251 viewssparks

Anyone still washing their post or shopping on 23:06 - May 13 by StokieBlue

SB

People simply dont wash their hands after grabbing a slice of bread and wanging it in the toaster before buttering it.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024