Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We're all in it together pt2736 21:01 - May 22 with 15840 viewsDubtractor

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/may/22/dominic-cummings-durham-trip-co

We really are governed by a shower of bast@rds aren't we?

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:13 - May 23 with 794 viewsHerbivore

We're all in it together pt2736 on 09:07 - May 23 by lowhouseblue

what have i said that defended the government in this thread? i objected to a brainless smear against a journalist. a smear which is part of a nasty campaign because she doesn't replicate the slogans people like you want to hear.

the social media left, as represented by the bubble on here, is brainless, self-preening, smug, narrow and intolerant. it's also very dull. but i guess it gives you a gang and preformed chants to suit every occasion. great.

go on, try thinking for yourself and looking at stuff critically rather than being a spear carrier in an internet tribe.
[Post edited 23 May 2020 9:24]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:13 - May 23 with 793 viewsgiant_stow

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:11 - May 23 by eireblue

Make up your mind, is she a journalist or simply a reporter?

Sorry for being thick, but whats the difference and why does it matter?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:14 - May 23 with 785 viewspointofblue

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:10 - May 23 by lowhouseblue

"source says ..."

it's a tweet as events happen. a snippet of information. it is factually correct that a source said that. is that the end of kuenssberg's coverage? no, of course not.

the hatred people have of kuenssberg shows how intolerant they have become of anything that doesn't fit perfectly with their world view.

She didn’t say “a source says” though - that’s the issue. The tweet was posted as “a few details”, it was presented as fact rather than a counter-claim which has no evidential base. Now this might be down to rushing or character space but it’s still not the right way to be presenting this.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:16 - May 23 with 765 viewslowhouseblue

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:11 - May 23 by eireblue

Make up your mind, is she a journalist or simply a reporter?

synonym for reporter: journalist
meaning of synonym: a word or phrase that means exactly the same as another word or phrase

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:16 - May 23 with 760 viewsHerbivore

We're all in it together pt2736 on 09:52 - May 23 by lowhouseblue

yes, part of a journalist's job is to present facts, as in 'a source said'. it's a fact,that's what the source said. knowing what the source said is an important piece of information. i doubt that's the end of her coverage of the matter. it's clearly not what you're interested in hearing. and kuenssberg gets attacked again because she hasn't reported what some people what to hear. 'she didn't say cummings is a crook and the tories are evil, therefore kuenssberg is bad'. exit tribe stage left with spears chanting.

So much bed wetting on one thread. You've changed the sheets at least three times already but the mattress is soaked through, sadly.

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:17 - May 23 with 752 viewslowhouseblue

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:14 - May 23 by pointofblue

She didn’t say “a source says” though - that’s the issue. The tweet was posted as “a few details”, it was presented as fact rather than a counter-claim which has no evidential base. Now this might be down to rushing or character space but it’s still not the right way to be presenting this.

"Source says his trip was within guidelines as Cummings went to stay with his parents so they could help with childcare while he and his wife were ill - they insist no breach of lockdown "

"source says"

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:19 - May 23 with 735 viewsHerbivore

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:01 - May 23 by lowhouseblue

hold on - i'm the one on here expressing a view which is out of step with the board's dominant majority. do you really not then see the irony of your post?

Yeah, you're an independent thinker alright. Sure.

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:20 - May 23 with 732 viewsNewcyBlue

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:07 - May 23 by Dubtractor

Ah, so now that people have pointed out that palming off a potentially virus carrying child on vulnerable parents is a bad look it was actually his sister looking after them?

Nice of the 'source' to clear that up.

FFS.

I’m going to cancel my licence fee. We don’t watch live tv, or iPlayer.

I’m genuinely annoyed by this. I can’t get out to join ship and let my opposite number go home and look after his family.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Login to get fewer ads

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:20 - May 23 with 731 viewsitfcjoe

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:07 - May 23 by lowhouseblue

she isn't defending him. reporting stuff isn't defending someone. she is reporting what she has found from a number of sources. you need to separate the roles of a reporter, who reports stuff, and a judge, who rules on guilt. kuenssberg is a reporter.

This is just incorrect, her job isn’t to report what sources tell her. If that was her job she’d be working for that source, not the BBC

Her job is to take what she is told - that it wasn’t a breach, and cross reference it with the rules, and see whether they tally up before reporting it.

Otherwise she just ends up looking like a mouthpiece. She should have learned her lesson when her source told her that the protestors at Leeds Hospital had punched one of Hancock’s entourage.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:22 - May 23 with 716 viewsNewcyBlue

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:07 - May 23 by lowhouseblue

she isn't defending him. reporting stuff isn't defending someone. she is reporting what she has found from a number of sources. you need to separate the roles of a reporter, who reports stuff, and a judge, who rules on guilt. kuenssberg is a reporter.

You’re an idiot.

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:23 - May 23 with 715 viewslowhouseblue

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:19 - May 23 by Herbivore

Yeah, you're an independent thinker alright. Sure.

relative to the twtd bubble yes it does look that way. but you're right that in the wider world i'm not saying anything shocking. the fact that it is so challenging and scary to people on here shows that you all ought to get out more.

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:24 - May 23 with 703 viewseireblue

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:13 - May 23 by giant_stow

Sorry for being thick, but whats the difference and why does it matter?

https://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2009/dec/10/newspapers-pressandpubl

From the article

Now for journalism:

Journalism is getting beneath the news. It's investigation, analysis and thoughtful commentary. It's in-depth expository reporting.
To illustrate his point he offers this straightforward comparison:

Reporting: A 747 aircraft crashed in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean yesterday.
Journalism: A review of maintenance reports of the 747 aircraft that crashed last month revealed that the airplane had a faulty engine parts. Reports indicate that airline management ignored warnings that the parts were malfunctioning.

Lowhouse was defending LK as journalist, but now refers to her as a reporter.

The criticism of LK is entirely justified, if you think she is a journalist.
Which Lowhouse did at the start of the the thread.
We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:25 - May 23 with 692 viewsLankHenners

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:23 - May 23 by lowhouseblue

relative to the twtd bubble yes it does look that way. but you're right that in the wider world i'm not saying anything shocking. the fact that it is so challenging and scary to people on here shows that you all ought to get out more.

So despite multiple people pointing out that you’re barking up the wrong tree (including people who aren’t in the ‘lefty bubble’ you bang on about), you’re still adamant that you’re right and it just happens that everybody else is wrong.

You’re having an absolute mare here.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:26 - May 23 with 688 viewslowhouseblue

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:20 - May 23 by itfcjoe

This is just incorrect, her job isn’t to report what sources tell her. If that was her job she’d be working for that source, not the BBC

Her job is to take what she is told - that it wasn’t a breach, and cross reference it with the rules, and see whether they tally up before reporting it.

Otherwise she just ends up looking like a mouthpiece. She should have learned her lesson when her source told her that the protestors at Leeds Hospital had punched one of Hancock’s entourage.

it's a tweet as events were unfolding. will it be all she writes on the matter? no of course not. a lot of tweeting involves copy and repeat. did you just not want to know what cummings' answer was? can she not trust you to make your own judgement on what the source said?

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:26 - May 23 with 685 viewsgiant_stow

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:24 - May 23 by eireblue

https://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2009/dec/10/newspapers-pressandpubl

From the article

Now for journalism:

Journalism is getting beneath the news. It's investigation, analysis and thoughtful commentary. It's in-depth expository reporting.

Reporting: A 747 aircraft crashed in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean yesterday.
Journalism: A review of maintenance reports of the 747 aircraft that crashed last month revealed that the airplane had a faulty engine parts. Reports indicate that airline management ignored warnings that the parts were malfunctioning.

Cant an individual be both?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:27 - May 23 with 673 viewslowhouseblue

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:24 - May 23 by eireblue

From the article

Now for journalism:

i'm using two words which are synonyms as synonyms. people do that.

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:27 - May 23 with 663 viewslowhouseblue

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:22 - May 23 by NewcyBlue

You’re an idiot.

great answer.

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:28 - May 23 with 651 viewsNewcyBlue

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:26 - May 23 by lowhouseblue

it's a tweet as events were unfolding. will it be all she writes on the matter? no of course not. a lot of tweeting involves copy and repeat. did you just not want to know what cummings' answer was? can she not trust you to make your own judgement on what the source said?

Whatever Cummings answer was, it was wrong and unacceptable.

He had COVID symptoms.

Are being deliberately obtuse?

Whatever Cummings has to say on the matter is irrelevant unless it is “I have today handed in my resignation as I am an oxygen thief”

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:29 - May 23 with 642 viewsNewcyBlue

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:27 - May 23 by lowhouseblue

great answer.

It was a great answer. It shows the contrasting reporting/journalism of Laura depending on who is the subject.

It’s not impartial. You’re still an idiot.

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:30 - May 23 with 641 viewsitfcjoe

Rebutting well researched and properly put together stories from other journos by jumping on their Twitter feeds with quotes from ‘sources’ shouldn’t be happening. If Cummings wants his story out there and reports it to her then he should be named as such.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:30 - May 23 with 634 viewseireblue

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:26 - May 23 by giant_stow

Cant an individual be both?

The context is Lowhouse said posters were smearing The “journalist” LK.

They weren’t.

Lowhouse doesn’t seem to understand that some people expect journalism from the BBC, not simple reporters.

Yes, reporting is a sub-set of journalism.
We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:31 - May 23 with 633 viewspointofblue

It’s not the response, it’s the phrasing of the response. As a journalist who has risen to the upper echelons of the BBC she should have an excellent understanding of language and how it conveys meaning. By missing out important words like “claims” and instead brusquely stating “a few details” she is presenting a counter-claim as fact, whether intentionally or not. It’s completely fair that Cummings (or ‘someone close to him’) has the right to respond to an allegation as long as that response is not treated as the be all and end all.
[Post edited 23 May 2020 10:31]

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:32 - May 23 with 619 viewsNewcyBlue

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:30 - May 23 by itfcjoe

Rebutting well researched and properly put together stories from other journos by jumping on their Twitter feeds with quotes from ‘sources’ shouldn’t be happening. If Cummings wants his story out there and reports it to her then he should be named as such.

The latest government slogan

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:33 - May 23 with 617 viewseireblue

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:27 - May 23 by lowhouseblue

i'm using two words which are synonyms as synonyms. people do that.

syn-o-nym sĭn′ə-nĭm″►
n. A word having the same or nearly the same meaning as another word or other words in a language.

Nearly the same is not the same as the same.

If you don’t understand the difference, then maybe you should be less critical of people that do, and want journalism from the BBC, not simple reports.
[Post edited 23 May 2020 10:37]
We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:33 - May 23 with 617 viewsgiant_stow

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:30 - May 23 by eireblue

The context is Lowhouse said posters were smearing The “journalist” LK.

They weren’t.

Lowhouse doesn’t seem to understand that some people expect journalism from the BBC, not simple reporters.

Yes, reporting is a sub-set of journalism.

Lowhouse seems to think the words are interchangeable, rightly or wrongly.

I think that this developing pile-on is ugly and unreasonable.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024