Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Durham police - Cummings is a wrong un 12:58 - May 28 with 4222 viewsartsbossbeard

Telegraph report to follow.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Durham police - Cummings is a wrong un on 14:55 - May 28 with 1922 viewsSteve_M

Durham police - Cummings is a wrong un on 14:44 - May 28 by BlueBadger

May have misnterpreted this article, in all fairness

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/mar/29/stephen-kinnock-targeted-by-pol

I believe, although can't be certain, that both he and his parents have houses fairly close together in North London which changes the dynamic of the complaint. Tweeting a picture of it, certainly not the brightest move but, assuming he didn't drive 150 miles, then I don't see that as a breach of the rgualtions.

What is telling from that article though is just how zealous the police were being at the end of March.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Durham police - Cummings is a wrong un on 15:06 - May 28 with 1894 viewsKievthegreat

Durham police - Cummings is a wrong un on 13:30 - May 28 by lowhouseblue

BBC: "PM aide Dominic Cummings' trip to Barnard Castle "might have been minor breach" of lockdown rules, Durham Police say"

Which cuts off the end of the sentence:

"might have been a minor breach of the Regulations that would have warranted police intervention"

It would seem to me that the "might" refers to the intervention as opposed to the breach.

Thread from twitter regarding the wording of the statement:

Durham police - Cummings is a wrong un on 15:12 - May 28 with 1878 viewsKievthegreat

Full statement from the police the BBC article seems very shallow to me. Plus a quote that I think is much more pertinent point than the "might" some people are focusing on.

"Had a Durham Constabulary police officer stopped Mr Cummings driving to or from Barnard Castle, the officer would have spoken to him, and, having established the facts, likely advised Mr Cummings to return to the address in Durham, providing advice on the dangers of travelling during the pandemic crisis. Had this advice been accepted by Mr Cummings, no enforcement action would have been taken."

https://www.durham.police.uk/news-and-events/Pages/News%20Articles/Durham-Consta
Durham police - Cummings is a wrong un on 15:20 - May 28 with 1857 viewsHerbivore

To be honest, I think Durham Police have been put in a really sh!t position in all of this.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Durham police - Cummings is a wrong un on 15:25 - May 28 with 1844 viewsKeno

Durham police - Cummings is a wrong un on 15:20 - May 28 by Herbivore

To be honest, I think Durham Police have been put in a really sh!t position in all of this.

I dont Durham is that bad, now Newcastle that really is a sh1t position to be in

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Durham police - Cummings is a wrong un on 17:55 - May 28 with 1779 viewsBrixtonBlue

Durham police - Cummings is a wrong un on 14:45 - May 28 by Herbivore

A couple of lawyers have explained the wording on twitter. "Might" basically means that they believe he did, hence if they'd pulled him over they'd have advised him to return home. If he'd refused then they'd have issued a fixed penalty notice but if chose to refuse to pay the matter would end up before the court and they would have to determine. That's why they have used "might" as, in principle, a court could disagree with their interpretation.

I was more thinking of the word "minor." It's either a breach or it isn't.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Newcastle is a great place.... on 17:58 - May 28 with 1772 viewsBloots

Durham police - Cummings is a wrong un on 15:25 - May 28 by Keno

I dont Durham is that bad, now Newcastle that really is a sh1t position to be in

….you're thinking of Sunderland.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Newcastle is a great place.... on 18:40 - May 28 with 1740 viewsKeno

Newcastle is a great place.... on 17:58 - May 28 by Bloots

….you're thinking of Sunderland.

well really just much place up north. Bedford and beyond

Login to get fewer ads

"You daft racist" (n/t) on 18:51 - May 28 with 1721 viewsBloots

Newcastle is a great place.... on 18:40 - May 28 by Keno

well really just much place up north. Bedford and beyond

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Durham police - Cummings is a wrong un on 18:56 - May 28 with 1713 viewsHerbivore

Durham police - Cummings is a wrong un on 17:55 - May 28 by BrixtonBlue

I was more thinking of the word "minor." It's either a breach or it isn't.

On that point there are different levels of severity. Being sat out with ten mates getting pissed and not social distancing would be a breach of the same regulations but would be a more serious one with a harsher penalty than being with members of the same household and otherwise respecting social distancing. As they said in their statement, had they come across him they'd have told him to go home rather than given him a fine which suggests it is a relatively minor breach. That doesn't really matter though, when you make the rules you shouldn't really be breaching them at all.

Durham police - Cummings is a wrong un on 19:24 - May 28 with 1688 viewsGlasgowBlue

Durham police - Cummings is a wrong un on 14:55 - May 28 by Steve_M

I believe, although can't be certain, that both he and his parents have houses fairly close together in North London which changes the dynamic of the complaint. Tweeting a picture of it, certainly not the brightest move but, assuming he didn't drive 150 miles, then I don't see that as a breach of the rgualtions.

What is telling from that article though is just how zealous the police were being at the end of March.

South Wales Police wouldn’t have got involved if the journey was contained to London.

No comparison with DC though who had Covid and put people in danger with every move he made.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Durham police - Cummings is a wrong un on 20:25 - May 28 with 1641 viewsBrixtonBlue

Durham police - Cummings is a wrong un on 18:56 - May 28 by Herbivore

On that point there are different levels of severity. Being sat out with ten mates getting pissed and not social distancing would be a breach of the same regulations but would be a more serious one with a harsher penalty than being with members of the same household and otherwise respecting social distancing. As they said in their statement, had they come across him they'd have told him to go home rather than given him a fine which suggests it is a relatively minor breach. That doesn't really matter though, when you make the rules you shouldn't really be breaching them at all.

Indeed. Even a minor breach is massive when you're the one making the rules.

Gotten away with it though, hasn't he?

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Durham police - Cummings is a wrong un on 20:31 - May 28 with 1631 viewsSwansea_Blue

Durham police - Cummings is a wrong un on 20:25 - May 28 by BrixtonBlue

He gets away with everything because he's so important to them.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Durham police - Cummings is a wrong un on 20:35 - May 28 with 1624 viewsBrixtonBlue

Durham police - Cummings is a wrong un on 20:31 - May 28 by Swansea_Blue

He gets away with everything because he's so important to them.

Yep.

Durham police - Cummings is a wrong un on 08:48 - May 29 with 1546 viewsHerbivore

Durham police - Cummings is a wrong un on 20:25 - May 28 by BrixtonBlue

I think this will leave lasting damage, he personally might have got away with it but it's really damaged Boris Johnson. His and the Tory's approval ratings are plummeting and even the Tory press have turned on them over the last week.

Durham police - Cummings is a wrong un on 09:07 - May 29 with 1526 viewsBrixtonBlue

Durham police - Cummings is a wrong un on 08:48 - May 29 by Herbivore

I think this will leave lasting damage, he personally might have got away with it but it's really damaged Boris Johnson. His and the Tory's approval ratings are plummeting and even the Tory press have turned on them over the last week.

Yeah I'm aware of that. 4 years till another election though.

Durham police - Cummings is a wrong un on 09:43 - May 29 with 1498 viewsKeno

Durham police - Cummings is a wrong un on 09:07 - May 29 by BrixtonBlue

Yeah I'm aware of that. 4 years till another election though.

Doesn't mean 4 more years of Boris tho

Tories grandee's could decide he has served his purpose, use his 'slow recovery from Covid' as an excuse and have a leadership context.

Problem being who else is there who could lead them???

Durham police - Cummings is a wrong un on 09:54 - May 29 with 1476 viewsBrixtonBlue

Durham police - Cummings is a wrong un on 09:43 - May 29 by Keno

Doesn't mean 4 more years of Boris tho

Tories grandee's could decide he has served his purpose, use his 'slow recovery from Covid' as an excuse and have a leadership context.

Problem being who else is there who could lead them???

I mean they COULD do all this, but there's no evidence they will.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024