Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Black lives matter... 23:53 - Jun 6 with 14944 viewsGirthyguy

I'm sure il get banned for this but why do black lives matter more than any other colour? I really don't give a monkeys C..T what colour skin or religion anyone is aslong as they respect anyone of any religion or colour opposing their own. Is there any statistics out their proving Injustices whether it be white cops killing black suspects or vice versa. Just through personal experience black people get a free pass to racially abuse White people because of what I can only assume as their historical past. Can somebody please set the record straight for me and prove via facts that these protests are worth more than the lives it will kill and destroy due to the lack of social distancing. After all the BAME community are more susceptible to this killer virus that's sweeping across the world. Ps. I just want to be educated so I can understand better the reasons behind this rebellion that's probably going to cause more death and suffering than good.

Thank you.
Black lives matter... on 14:01 - Jun 7 with 1309 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Black lives matter... on 13:59 - Jun 7 by Ryorry

No doubt there are some "kind of white people who don't want to listen anyway" but I'm talking about the ones who are simply unaware, and who would be very happy to join in the #BlackLivesMatter movement, even join the protests - if things were explained to them in language they can understand - as indeed was very well done in the first part of this thread, including a post from yourself.

Treating people with condescension or even hostility when they want to, and are trying to understand, tends to be counterproductive.

This!!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Black lives matter... on 14:08 - Jun 7 with 1286 viewsSpruceMoose

Black lives matter... on 13:59 - Jun 7 by Ryorry

No doubt there are some "kind of white people who don't want to listen anyway" but I'm talking about the ones who are simply unaware, and who would be very happy to join in the #BlackLivesMatter movement, even join the protests - if things were explained to them in language they can understand - as indeed was very well done in the first part of this thread, including a post from yourself.

Treating people with condescension or even hostility when they want to, and are trying to understand, tends to be counterproductive.

Happy to join but not happy to make the effort to read and try to understand? Honestly Ryorry, whether it's race, feminism, Brexit I'm sick of pandering to these disingenuous people. They want all the credit for being an ally without any of the actual work that goes into it.

Part of being an ally is examining your own biases, how you came to have them, and how you can stay mindful of them in the future. Getting upset at terminology is just falling at the first hurdle.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Black lives matter... on 14:13 - Jun 7 with 1272 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Black lives matter... on 14:08 - Jun 7 by SpruceMoose

Happy to join but not happy to make the effort to read and try to understand? Honestly Ryorry, whether it's race, feminism, Brexit I'm sick of pandering to these disingenuous people. They want all the credit for being an ally without any of the actual work that goes into it.

Part of being an ally is examining your own biases, how you came to have them, and how you can stay mindful of them in the future. Getting upset at terminology is just falling at the first hurdle.

Surely best to help them over that hurdle.... That bit of help may be what enables them to complete the race.

...a victory for us all.

If people ask, then the easiest way to explain BLM to people who don't get it is to say that Black Lives Matter TOO, rather than MORE.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Black lives matter... on 14:17 - Jun 7 with 1256 viewsRyorry

Black lives matter... on 14:08 - Jun 7 by SpruceMoose

I'm not aware of most posters' histories, I'm just referring to this thread.

I don't see anyone "upset" at terminology, just some wishing to understand it & wanting good communications that will promote greater understanding of the issue.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Black lives matter... on 14:18 - Jun 7 with 1250 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Black lives matter... on 14:17 - Jun 7 by Ryorry

I don't see anyone "upset" at terminology, just some wishing to understand it & wanting good communications that will promote greater understanding of the issue.

Indeed.

Black lives matter... on 14:19 - Jun 7 with 1247 viewsfooters

Black man is murdered in cold blood by white police officer. "Black Lives Matter". What's difficult to understand about that? It's not rocket surgery.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Black lives matter... on 14:20 - Jun 7 with 1238 viewsSpruceMoose

Perhaps the people who somehow don't understand yet would be better served listening right now rather than inserting 'Yes but...' into every thread.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Black lives matter... on 14:23 - Jun 7 with 1221 viewspointofblue

Black lives matter... on 14:20 - Jun 7 by SpruceMoose

Perhaps the people who somehow don't understand yet would be better served listening right now rather than inserting 'Yes but...' into every thread.

Though there is a difference between listening and understanding what they hear.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Login to get fewer ads

Black lives matter... on 14:24 - Jun 7 with 1211 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Black lives matter... on 14:23 - Jun 7 by pointofblue

Though there is a difference between listening and understanding what they hear.

Exactly, communication is key.

Black lives matter... on 14:25 - Jun 7 with 1207 viewsSpruceMoose

Black lives matter... on 14:24 - Jun 7 by Marshalls_Mullet

Exactly, communication is key.

Facepalm.

Black lives matter... on 14:26 - Jun 7 with 1202 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Black lives matter... on 14:19 - Jun 7 by footers

Black man is murdered in cold blood by white police officer. "Black Lives Matter". What's difficult to understand about that? It's not rocket surgery.

Some people clearly do misinterpret the BLM message.

We can all say how is that possible?

But we can also all help to educate and communicate.

Black lives matter... on 14:27 - Jun 7 with 1193 viewsRyorry

Black lives matter... on 14:19 - Jun 7 by footers

*Obviously* nothing difficult about that.

But we weren't specifically discussing that, we were specifically discussing the term "White Privilege" and how best to enable people to understand the implications of that.

Black lives matter... on 14:29 - Jun 7 with 1182 viewspointofblue

Black lives matter... on 14:27 - Jun 7 by Ryorry

But we weren't specifically discussing that, we were specifically discussing the term "White Privilege" and how best to enable people to understand the implications of that.

And the issue being a lot of white people don’t feel privileged and take the phrase as meaning every aspect of their lives rather than purely based on their skin colour, hence rather than accepting what it actually refers to and looking at how this can be changed they take offence instead.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2020 14:31]

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Black lives matter... on 14:30 - Jun 7 with 1181 viewsSpruceMoose

Black lives matter... on 14:26 - Jun 7 by Marshalls_Mullet

Some people clearly do misinterpret the BLM message.

We can all say how is that possible?

But we can also all help to educate and communicate.

What do you do to further the goals of education and communication exactly? 'Hurdeehur agree to disagree' isn't exactly up there with 'I have a dream...'

Three days ago you were yes butting your way to the conclusion that WP wasn't real. So, you'll have to excuse us if we take what you say with a kilo of salt.

Black lives matter... on 14:32 - Jun 7 with 1169 viewsfooters

Black lives matter... on 14:27 - Jun 7 by Ryorry

Again, it's a pretty easy concept to grasp. The fact that people don't get it probably says more about their unconscious biases than anything else. Besides, we don't need to get Valerie from Daventry on board for any movement to be effective. There are enough angry, educated BAME voices doing the talking already, so probably best to hush up and listen to them instead of concerning ourselves with semantics and pandering to those who 'don't get it'.

Black lives matter... on 14:33 - Jun 7 with 1162 viewsvapour_trail

Black lives matter... on 14:01 - Jun 7 by Marshalls_Mullet

This!!

Not this at all.

If you don’t understand the term white privilege, there’s nothing wrong with that.

You can either google it and get the background in a couple of minutes and make your own opinion on it.

Or you can abdicate your personal responsibility and blame the poor communication skills of other people for the fact you done like it.

Lazy and part of the problem.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Black lives matter... on 14:34 - Jun 7 with 1156 viewsSpruceMoose

Black lives matter... on 14:33 - Jun 7 by vapour_trail

Not this at all.

If you don’t understand the term white privilege, there’s nothing wrong with that.

You can either google it and get the background in a couple of minutes and make your own opinion on it.

Or you can abdicate your personal responsibility and blame the poor communication skills of other people for the fact you done like it.

Lazy and part of the problem.

To save him the effort:

"Agree to disagree"

Black lives matter... on 14:34 - Jun 7 with 1156 viewsRyorry

Black lives matter... on 14:29 - Jun 7 by pointofblue

And the issue being a lot of white people don’t feel privileged and take the phrase as meaning every aspect of their lives rather than purely based on their skin colour, hence rather than accepting what it actually refers to and looking at how this can be changed they take offence instead.

As I said before, I'm not referrring to people who are racists or who prefer to remain uneducated; I'm referring to those who are simply *unaware* of what the term means & who are *trying* to inform/educate themselves about it. Would be good if they were allowed to do this without being given a caning for it.

Black lives matter... on 14:35 - Jun 7 with 1151 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Black lives matter... on 14:30 - Jun 7 by SpruceMoose

What do you do to further the goals of education and communication exactly? 'Hurdeehur agree to disagree' isn't exactly up there with 'I have a dream...'

Three days ago you were yes butting your way to the conclusion that WP wasn't real. So, you'll have to excuse us if we take what you say with a kilo of salt.

I've just spelled out how I explain BLM to people who are unsure. It's pretty simple.

All I asked is that you do the same.

Black lives matter... on 14:37 - Jun 7 with 1137 viewsHerbivore

Black lives matter... on 14:34 - Jun 7 by Ryorry

As I said before, I'm not referrring to people who are racists or who prefer to remain uneducated; I'm referring to those who are simply *unaware* of what the term means & who are *trying* to inform/educate themselves about it. Would be good if they were allowed to do this without being given a caning for it.

Do these people not have Google?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Black lives matter... on 14:38 - Jun 7 with 1128 viewsSpruceMoose

Black lives matter... on 14:34 - Jun 7 by Ryorry

It's not educating yourself to be kicking off at the course title because what you don't yet know is making you feel like you're being blamed. Just be quiet, and listen until you know enough to understand what's being said.

FFS. Everyone is acting like white privilege is some complicated theory. It's not. You should need it to be explained to you once. Just once. The concept can be contained quite comfortably in one sentence.

If you still don't like it after that, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you were never going to be an ally anyway.

Black lives matter... on 14:40 - Jun 7 with 1120 viewsDubtractor

Saw this earlier, summed it up neatly for me.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Black lives matter... on 14:42 - Jun 7 with 1113 viewsfooters

Black lives matter... on 14:40 - Jun 7 by Dubtractor

Saw this earlier, summed it up neatly for me.

It might even be on page 1 of this very thread...

Black lives matter... on 14:42 - Jun 7 with 1113 viewsRyorry

Black lives matter... on 14:38 - Jun 7 by SpruceMoose

It's not educating yourself to be kicking off at the course title because what you don't yet know is making you feel like you're being blamed. Just be quiet, and listen until you know enough to understand what's being said.

FFS. Everyone is acting like white privilege is some complicated theory. It's not. You should need it to be explained to you once. Just once. The concept can be contained quite comfortably in one sentence.

If you still don't like it after that, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you were never going to be an ally anyway.

"It's not. You should need it to be explained to you once. Just once".

And *that* is exactly what I was asking for. Just that.

No need to insult people in the process - as I said before, it tends to be counterproductive.

Black lives matter... on 14:45 - Jun 7 with 1100 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Black lives matter... on 14:42 - Jun 7 by Ryorry

"It's not. You should need it to be explained to you once. Just once".

And *that* is exactly what I was asking for. Just that.

No need to insult people in the process - as I said before, it tends to be counterproductive.

Indeed, I'm not sure why people need to be so arsey about it.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024