Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Black lives matter... 23:53 - Jun 6 with 14965 viewsGirthyguy

I'm sure il get banned for this but why do black lives matter more than any other colour? I really don't give a monkeys C..T what colour skin or religion anyone is aslong as they respect anyone of any religion or colour opposing their own. Is there any statistics out their proving Injustices whether it be white cops killing black suspects or vice versa. Just through personal experience black people get a free pass to racially abuse White people because of what I can only assume as their historical past. Can somebody please set the record straight for me and prove via facts that these protests are worth more than the lives it will kill and destroy due to the lack of social distancing. After all the BAME community are more susceptible to this killer virus that's sweeping across the world. Ps. I just want to be educated so I can understand better the reasons behind this rebellion that's probably going to cause more death and suffering than good.

Thank you.
Black lives matter... on 19:47 - Jun 7 with 2893 viewsnoggin

Black lives matter... on 19:44 - Jun 7 by bluejacko

Of course and nobody else had the nouse to stop them?

Almost like nobody had the nouse to stop slavery.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Black lives matter... on 00:27 - Jun 8 with 2794 viewsSpruceMoose

Black lives matter... on 15:40 - Jun 7 by Marshalls_Mullet

Thanks mate.

You are correct, however SM will always interpret my posts in a way that fit with his narrative.

I'm used to it now.

For someone who says things are easy to understand, he sure does misunderstand a lot himself.

You can't see what you don't understand.

But what you think you already understand, you'll fail to notice.

Reflect on it.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Black lives matter... on 05:24 - Jun 8 with 2747 viewsAtractorive

Black lives matter... on 12:17 - Jun 7 by Ryorry

I might get shot down for this, but I've always thought the 'White Privilege' term rather misleading & could have been done better. I know BAME people obviously have the right to choose their terms, but so often this one is misunderstood by & understandably angers white people who are, eg, homeless & living rough; or looking for work & living on a pittance which means having to choose between heat or eat with their families in overcrowded conditions etc.

Then you have completely misunderstood the term.
Black lives matter... on 08:49 - Jun 8 with 2700 viewsHerbivore

Black lives matter... on 19:44 - Jun 7 by bluejacko

Of course and nobody else had the nouse to stop them?

Just like nobody had the nous to stop a police officer kneeling on George Floyd's neck for 8 minutes until he died. There were actual cops there as well, just watching it happen. Nobody died as a result of some graffiti and pulling a statue down. Sort your priorities out.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Black lives matter... on 10:56 - Jun 8 with 2657 viewsWeWereZombies

Black lives matter... on 08:49 - Jun 8 by Herbivore

Just like nobody had the nous to stop a police officer kneeling on George Floyd's neck for 8 minutes until he died. There were actual cops there as well, just watching it happen. Nobody died as a result of some graffiti and pulling a statue down. Sort your priorities out.

Part of my uppie was for somebody in this thread finally spelling nous correctly (you still have got your ears closed to some of that wonderful rebellion and grace under pressure in eighties music though, haven't you?)

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Black lives matter... on 10:59 - Jun 8 with 2646 viewsHerbivore

Black lives matter... on 10:56 - Jun 8 by WeWereZombies

Part of my uppie was for somebody in this thread finally spelling nous correctly (you still have got your ears closed to some of that wonderful rebellion and grace under pressure in eighties music though, haven't you?)

80s music is almost an oxymoron. 80s noise would be more appropriate.

Black lives matter... on 11:31 - Jun 8 with 2625 viewsWeWereZombies

Black lives matter... on 10:59 - Jun 8 by Herbivore

80s music is almost an oxymoron. 80s noise would be more appropriate.

Black lives matter... on 11:45 - Jun 8 with 2591 viewsRyorry

Black lives matter... on 05:24 - Jun 8 by Atractorive

Then you have completely misunderstood the term.

Then you have completely misunderstood what I said. which was

"this one is misunderstood by & understandably angers white people who are, eg, homeless & living rough; or looking for work & living on a pittance which means having to choose between heat or eat with their families in overcrowded conditions etc.".

I did not mention myself. I am trying to get people like yourself, who don't seem to understand that the term is actually an initial barrier to some other people understanding and joining the cause.

Ironic that the people on the thread most strongly rooting for the cause of equality, are those who are most intolerant of others trying to promote good communications to help more of the population to understand and join the cause (I don't mean you, you've only just joined the thread).

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Login to get fewer ads

Black lives matter... on 15:55 - Jun 8 with 2507 viewsbluejacko

Black lives matter... on 19:47 - Jun 7 by noggin

Almost like nobody had the nouse to stop slavery.

I think you will find it was actually the British who stopped slavery first but don’t let the facts get in the way will you?
As for herbivores point does one wrong make others ok?
There are going to be consequences from these demo’s! Did the people who organised these events take into consideration the fact how vulnerable the black population is to this disease before calling for them to take too the streets in their thousands? There WILL be more infections and deaths to come from this. Who will take responsibility then? As far as I know no Govt adviser took any part in this so who are you going to blame for the extra deaths? Still jog on because no one will take any personal blame it will be someone else’s fault
Black lives matter... on 15:58 - Jun 8 with 2497 viewsjeera

Black lives matter... on 15:55 - Jun 8 by bluejacko

I think you will find it was actually the British who stopped slavery first but don’t let the facts get in the way will you?
There are going to be consequences from these demo’s! Did the people who organised these events take into consideration the fact how vulnerable the black population is to this disease before calling for them to take too the streets in their thousands? There WILL be more infections and deaths to come from this. Who will take responsibility then? As far as I know no Govt adviser took any part in this so who are you going to blame for the extra deaths? Still jog on because no one will take any personal blame it will be someone else’s fault

Britain were a number of years behind on that count old bean.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Black lives matter... on 16:37 - Jun 8 with 2459 viewsHerbivore

You seem an awful lot angrier at people protesting against a black man being murdered by a police officer than you do about a black man being murdered by a police officer. You might want to think about your priorities.

Black lives matter... on 19:54 - Jun 8 with 2399 viewsbluejacko

Black lives matter... on 16:37 - Jun 8 by Herbivore

You seem an awful lot angrier at people protesting against a black man being murdered by a police officer than you do about a black man being murdered by a police officer. You might want to think about your priorities.

You really must stop putting words in people’s mouths!
What I am annoyed about is the fact that for weeks now people have been banging on about lockdown being lifted to early. Now it’s ok for thousands of people to mass together despite the Govt asking them not too! Even you must realise this is very dangerous for not only the ones who attended but for you and me in the increased risk of this virus taking off again. The point about the murder could have been made in other ways I’m sure.
Black lives matter... on 20:16 - Jun 8 with 2365 viewsHerbivore

Black lives matter... on 19:54 - Jun 8 by bluejacko

You really must stop putting words in people’s mouths!
What I am annoyed about is the fact that for weeks now people have been banging on about lockdown being lifted to early. Now it’s ok for thousands of people to mass together despite the Govt asking them not too! Even you must realise this is very dangerous for not only the ones who attended but for you and me in the increased risk of this virus taking off again. The point about the murder could have been made in other ways I’m sure.

How else could the point have been made that enough is enough without protesting? I'm genuinely curious.

Lockdown died the second Johnson put defending Cummings ahead of the safety of the British public. The pictures from the protests were no worse, in fact weren't even as bad, as the photos from several beaches the weekend before last. At least protesting has a point, it's not just about getting a tan and having a nice day out.

Black lives matter... on 20:48 - Jun 8 with 2347 viewsShawsey

Black lives matter... on 20:16 - Jun 8 by Herbivore

How else could the point have been made that enough is enough without protesting? I'm genuinely curious.

Lockdown died the second Johnson put defending Cummings ahead of the safety of the British public. The pictures from the protests were no worse, in fact weren't even as bad, as the photos from several beaches the weekend before last. At least protesting has a point, it's not just about getting a tan and having a nice day out.

Give it up Herbie. If you are not careful, he will take up 8 pages trying to convince you.
Black lives matter... on 20:55 - Jun 8 with 2336 viewsHerbivore

Black lives matter... on 20:48 - Jun 8 by Shawsey

Give it up Herbie. If you are not careful, he will take up 8 pages trying to convince you.

Bravo, sir.

Black lives matter... on 21:15 - Jun 8 with 2321 viewsClapham_Junction

We abolished slavery, but replaced it with indentured labour, which was essentially slavery with a time limit. African labour were replaced with Indians and millions were transported to various British colonies to do the work of former slaves or tasks that the indigenous population refused to do.
Black lives matter... on 00:10 - Jun 9 with 2261 viewsAtractorive

Black lives matter... on 11:45 - Jun 8 by Ryorry

Then you have completely misunderstood what I said. which was

"this one is misunderstood by & understandably angers white people who are, eg, homeless & living rough; or looking for work & living on a pittance which means having to choose between heat or eat with their families in overcrowded conditions etc.".

I did not mention myself. I am trying to get people like yourself, who don't seem to understand that the term is actually an initial barrier to some other people understanding and joining the cause.

Ironic that the people on the thread most strongly rooting for the cause of equality, are those who are most intolerant of others trying to promote good communications to help more of the population to understand and join the cause (I don't mean you, you've only just joined the thread).

I apologise then.

I have just googled "white privilege". 5 minutes of scrolling through video clips and different articles would give me a solid understanding of what it means. My recommendation for anybody, always, would be to do their own research on something to make sure they full understand it before forming any kind of opinion (not you, these people that you speak of)

This may sound very controversial, and many will disagree, but I often feel that there are underlying reasons why people want to get upset with something before full understanding it; maybe it is because understanding it may actually go against their own arguments or even hidden agendas.

With regards to your last paragraph, you are absolutely right and the main reason I am extending you an apology is because my reply was a bit bitey. You are right, people should be encouraged to communicate, especially if they don't understand terms. There was a post on here around the term "all lives matter" and why it is construed as counter productive as a reply to "black lives matter". I applaud that poster for having the courage to seek some guidance to understand the terms and slogans he/she is reading about before taking offence to it, and I would urge the angry "white people" referenced in your post to do the same.
Black lives matter... on 00:47 - Jun 9 with 2249 viewsRyorry

Black lives matter... on 00:10 - Jun 9 by Atractorive

I apologise then.

I have just googled "white privilege". 5 minutes of scrolling through video clips and different articles would give me a solid understanding of what it means. My recommendation for anybody, always, would be to do their own research on something to make sure they full understand it before forming any kind of opinion (not you, these people that you speak of)

This may sound very controversial, and many will disagree, but I often feel that there are underlying reasons why people want to get upset with something before full understanding it; maybe it is because understanding it may actually go against their own arguments or even hidden agendas.

With regards to your last paragraph, you are absolutely right and the main reason I am extending you an apology is because my reply was a bit bitey. You are right, people should be encouraged to communicate, especially if they don't understand terms. There was a post on here around the term "all lives matter" and why it is construed as counter productive as a reply to "black lives matter". I applaud that poster for having the courage to seek some guidance to understand the terms and slogans he/she is reading about before taking offence to it, and I would urge the angry "white people" referenced in your post to do the same.

Thanks, appreciate that.

This may sound like a digression, but it isn't really, just an analogy. I happened on the poetry of TS Eliot relatively late in life (late 20s) & didn't fully uunderstand it, but was immediately bowled over by it - it really spoke to me by hitting me in the gut & emotions (he himself made a comment which I came across later saying that was how he thought poetry should be experienced).

When it came to *studying* it though (OU), the first thing that happened was being met with a wall of comments saying how *difficult* it was. The more I read, studied & listened to the comments of others, who said they just didn't understand it, and didn't like it because they didn't understand it, the more I realised that people just weren't getting it because of that initial barrier that had been placed between it and them.

Whilst I'm sure that there are unfortunately many "angry white people" who really just don't want to get it, as you and others have said, I'm also sure from reading & listening both locally & more widely, that there are large numbers of people who are naturally sympathetic but just shy away from the 'white privilege' phrase because they assume it means something that it doesn't. Yes they could, arguably should look it up, but all those working in public relations will know that it's a good idea to get the message across as directly & simply as poss, so that as many people as possible get on board.

Having said all that, I guess I'm quite well known on here for wanting to 'improve' the campaigns of things I care passionately about where I feel things aren't being done as well as they might to gain max possible results - I think Callis would agree with that re my comments on the vegan cause, and several other people re Extinction Rebellion! It's probably arrogant, but I get frustrated when I think the message could be got across to & accepted by even more supporters than they're getting.

Agree with your comments in paras & 2 btw; and also the courageous poster you refer to (I think there were 2 actually, the OP and MarshallsMullet).

(No subject) (n/t) on 08:20 - Jun 9 with 2138 viewsJon_456

Black lives matter... on 00:47 - Jun 9 by Ryorry

Thanks, appreciate that.

This may sound like a digression, but it isn't really, just an analogy. I happened on the poetry of TS Eliot relatively late in life (late 20s) & didn't fully uunderstand it, but was immediately bowled over by it - it really spoke to me by hitting me in the gut & emotions (he himself made a comment which I came across later saying that was how he thought poetry should be experienced).

When it came to *studying* it though (OU), the first thing that happened was being met with a wall of comments saying how *difficult* it was. The more I read, studied & listened to the comments of others, who said they just didn't understand it, and didn't like it because they didn't understand it, the more I realised that people just weren't getting it because of that initial barrier that had been placed between it and them.

Whilst I'm sure that there are unfortunately many "angry white people" who really just don't want to get it, as you and others have said, I'm also sure from reading & listening both locally & more widely, that there are large numbers of people who are naturally sympathetic but just shy away from the 'white privilege' phrase because they assume it means something that it doesn't. Yes they could, arguably should look it up, but all those working in public relations will know that it's a good idea to get the message across as directly & simply as poss, so that as many people as possible get on board.

Having said all that, I guess I'm quite well known on here for wanting to 'improve' the campaigns of things I care passionately about where I feel things aren't being done as well as they might to gain max possible results - I think Callis would agree with that re my comments on the vegan cause, and several other people re Extinction Rebellion! It's probably arrogant, but I get frustrated when I think the message could be got across to & accepted by even more supporters than they're getting.

Agree with your comments in paras & 2 btw; and also the courageous poster you refer to (I think there were 2 actually, the OP and MarshallsMullet).

It’s nice to see someone go about it the right way.

Far too easy for people to shout and abuse others for not understanding (even if it is obvious) rather than trying to educate them.

[Edit] original message disappeared.
[Post edited 9 Jun 2020 8:24]
Black lives matter... on 09:10 - Jun 9 with 2112 viewsWeWereZombies

Black lives matter... on 00:47 - Jun 9 by Ryorry

Thanks, appreciate that.

Going off at a tangent, unusual for me I know, but one of the more surprising (to me anyway) is the use Iain Banks makes of T.S. Eliot in the science fiction 'Culture' series, the first of which, 'Consider Phlebas', even takes it's title from a line in 'The Waste Land'.

Black lives matter... on 12:09 - Jun 9 with 2072 viewsRyorry

Black lives matter... on 09:10 - Jun 9 by WeWereZombies

Going off at a tangent, unusual for me I know, but one of the more surprising (to me anyway) is the use Iain Banks makes of T.S. Eliot in the science fiction 'Culture' series, the first of which, 'Consider Phlebas', even takes it's title from a line in 'The Waste Land'.

Haha - classic TWTD innit!

Am a big Ian Banks fan, but not a fan of sci-fi, so hadn't read that. Will certainly take a look at it tho, cheers - maybe tomorrow when plenty of Water is forecast, albeit hopefully not 'Death by Water'! or otherwise when this most intense part of the gardening season is over ;)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024