Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Black lives matter... 23:53 - Jun 6 with 14933 viewsGirthyguy

I'm sure il get banned for this but why do black lives matter more than any other colour? I really don't give a monkeys C..T what colour skin or religion anyone is aslong as they respect anyone of any religion or colour opposing their own. Is there any statistics out their proving Injustices whether it be white cops killing black suspects or vice versa. Just through personal experience black people get a free pass to racially abuse White people because of what I can only assume as their historical past. Can somebody please set the record straight for me and prove via facts that these protests are worth more than the lives it will kill and destroy due to the lack of social distancing. After all the BAME community are more susceptible to this killer virus that's sweeping across the world. Ps. I just want to be educated so I can understand better the reasons behind this rebellion that's probably going to cause more death and suffering than good.

Thank you.
Black lives matter... on 12:29 - Jun 7 with 2707 viewsHerbivore

Black lives matter... on 12:28 - Jun 7 by Ryorry

Well yes, people who trouble to educate themselves (like most on this thread thankfully) get to understand that - the problem is the tens of millions (hundreds of millions globally?) who don't, and assume that it means *all* white people are said to be living privileged lives - was my point.

To be frank, those that take it that way couldn't really give a toss about societal racism anyway.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Black lives matter... on 12:29 - Jun 7 with 2708 viewsSwansea_Blue

Black lives matter... on 10:08 - Jun 7 by Marshalls_Mullet

I think to explain the BLM movement to people who say all lives matter, it's fairly simply.

They are not saying black lives matter more, they are saying black lives matter TOO.

Quite. I'm amazed at how many people can't grasp this very simple point.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Black lives matter... on 12:39 - Jun 7 with 2683 viewsCBBlue

Black lives matter... on 12:29 - Jun 7 by Swansea_Blue

Quite. I'm amazed at how many people can't grasp this very simple point.

Indeed. And it's been very disappointing to see just how many either can't or willfully refuse to. Social Media has been a depressing place seeing people I know on FB groups (luckily not friends) fall into these categories.

Poll: School on Monday - are you sending in your R, Y1 or Y6 kids?

Black lives matter... on 12:40 - Jun 7 with 2669 viewsSwansea_Blue

Black lives matter... on 09:47 - Jun 7 by mikeybloo88

Just to sy they're knowingly risking other peoples health too...if it was just their own health at risk I'd say fine, go protest all you want, only you can catch covid from squashing into a London square with 15000 others....but it isn't, is it? No mass gatherings, whether attempting to socially distance or not, should be happening, be that protests, on beaches or whatever...for the good of us all no matter what our colour.

I think that's a valid point. We're in the middle of a global pandemic involving a highly contagious virus for which there is no vaccine.

I've struggled to weigh the two issues. The closest I've come to is that BLM is the bigger, longer-standing issue. Covid is more urgent. I'm reluctant to say Covid should have precedence as I'm aware I'm a white dude speaking from a point of ignorance about BLM. BLM may well be a much the larger issue of the two in the black community (racial oppression has been by far the greater killer after all, and these people live with racism daily).

Could people wait to protest? Ideally, but you can't pick the timing of the trigger and these protests have gathered a momentum that's almost impossible to control. And who am I to tell black people to be quiet and wait - I can't speak on their behalf.

It's a muddled mess in my head (as most things are!).

Black lives matter... on 12:41 - Jun 7 with 2662 viewsfooters

Black lives matter... on 12:28 - Jun 7 by Ryorry

Well yes, people who trouble to educate themselves (like most on this thread thankfully) get to understand that - the problem is the tens of millions (hundreds of millions globally?) who don't, and assume that it means *all* white people are said to be living privileged lives - was my point.

If you don't bother to educate yourself on the matter, there's probably a reason why. But I'll leave what that is up to you :)

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Black lives matter... on 12:42 - Jun 7 with 2656 viewsSwansea_Blue

Black lives matter... on 12:39 - Jun 7 by CBBlue

Indeed. And it's been very disappointing to see just how many either can't or willfully refuse to. Social Media has been a depressing place seeing people I know on FB groups (luckily not friends) fall into these categories.

Yep, it's extremely depressing on social media. It's a full blown culture war again and a continuation of the normalisation of racism and division.

Black lives matter... on 12:45 - Jun 7 with 2650 viewsRyorry

Black lives matter... on 12:29 - Jun 7 by Herbivore

To be frank, those that take it that way couldn't really give a toss about societal racism anyway.

I disagree, I think many people are simply unaware of what the term means and would quickly jump on board if it's politely explained what it really does mean (as others on here had done previously).

Just bashing them over the head & dismissing them all with generalisations such as "To be frank, those that take it that way couldn't really give a toss about societal racism anyway" just perpetuates their lack of awareness & could even increase hostility.

Good language promotes good understanding.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Black lives matter... on 12:56 - Jun 7 with 2630 viewsHerbivore

Black lives matter... on 12:45 - Jun 7 by Ryorry

I disagree, I think many people are simply unaware of what the term means and would quickly jump on board if it's politely explained what it really does mean (as others on here had done previously).

Just bashing them over the head & dismissing them all with generalisations such as "To be frank, those that take it that way couldn't really give a toss about societal racism anyway" just perpetuates their lack of awareness & could even increase hostility.

Good language promotes good understanding.

I think that's a very naive view.

Login to get fewer ads

Black lives matter... on 12:59 - Jun 7 with 2619 viewsRyorry

Black lives matter... on 12:56 - Jun 7 by Herbivore

I think that's a very naive view.

And I think yours is very narrow. I know people who *have* got on board once the term is explained.

Black lives matter... on 13:01 - Jun 7 with 2615 viewsnoggin

Anyone questioning white privilege in the UK should read Natives by Akala.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Black lives matter... on 13:02 - Jun 7 with 2611 viewsSpruceMoose

It isn't black people's responsibility to make systemic racism more palatable to the ears and feelings of white people though.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Black lives matter... on 13:22 - Jun 7 with 2575 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Black lives matter... on 13:02 - Jun 7 by SpruceMoose

It isn't black people's responsibility to make systemic racism more palatable to the ears and feelings of white people though.

The point of the protests is to make people listen, and if the message is clearer then that can only be good for all.

Try not to be so polarised in your views.

Togetherness, not division.

You'll have seen that I translated the BLM message quite simply further down the thread.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2020 13:24]

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Black lives matter... on 13:23 - Jun 7 with 2568 viewsHerbivore

Black lives matter... on 12:59 - Jun 7 by Ryorry

And I think yours is very narrow. I know people who *have* got on board once the term is explained.

Good for you.

Black lives matter... on 13:26 - Jun 7 with 2564 viewsSpruceMoose

Black lives matter... on 13:22 - Jun 7 by Marshalls_Mullet

The point of the protests is to make people listen, and if the message is clearer then that can only be good for all.

Try not to be so polarised in your views.

Togetherness, not division.

You'll have seen that I translated the BLM message quite simply further down the thread.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2020 13:24]

You don't actually care about any of this do you? This 'but muh both sides' act is just to cover that up.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Black lives matter... on 13:30 - Jun 7 with 2548 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Black lives matter... on 13:26 - Jun 7 by SpruceMoose

You don't actually care about any of this do you? This 'but muh both sides' act is just to cover that up.

Will have to agree to differ on that.

I'm sorry if my posts don't all fit with your narrative.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Black lives matter... on 13:32 - Jun 7 with 2542 viewsSpruceMoose

Black lives matter... on 13:30 - Jun 7 by Marshalls_Mullet

Will have to agree to differ on that.

I'm sorry if my posts don't all fit with your narrative.

Lol.

OK buddy, ok. Glad to see you're holding onto your avatar and username though. Very appropriate.

Black lives matter... on 13:35 - Jun 7 with 2528 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Black lives matter... on 13:32 - Jun 7 by SpruceMoose

Lol.

OK buddy, ok. Glad to see you're holding onto your avatar and username though. Very appropriate.

If I changed it, you'd struggle to find me.

Although I have a feeling you'd manage to.

Black lives matter... on 13:38 - Jun 7 with 2519 viewsSpruceMoose

Black lives matter... on 13:35 - Jun 7 by Marshalls_Mullet

If I changed it, you'd struggle to find me.

Although I have a feeling you'd manage to.

Yeah you're right. You'd be easy to spot. I'd just look out for the poster stammering 'buh buh buh agree to disagree' and running away the first time their opinion looked like being challenged.

Black lives matter... on 13:39 - Jun 7 with 2520 viewsRyorry

Black lives matter... on 13:26 - Jun 7 by SpruceMoose

Think that's rather unfair Spruce, he was trying to make this point (as I was too) -

"The point of the protests is to make people listen, and if the message is clearer then that can only be good for all."

Surely good, clear communication that helps lead to the goal of all being treated equally, is key?

Black lives matter... on 13:41 - Jun 7 with 2507 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Black lives matter... on 13:38 - Jun 7 by SpruceMoose

Yeah you're right. You'd be easy to spot. I'd just look out for the poster stammering 'buh buh buh agree to disagree' and running away the first time their opinion looked like being challenged.

Quite the opposite.

Black lives matter... on 13:46 - Jun 7 with 2496 viewsSpruceMoose

Black lives matter... on 13:39 - Jun 7 by Ryorry

Think that's rather unfair Spruce, he was trying to make this point (as I was too) -

"The point of the protests is to make people listen, and if the message is clearer then that can only be good for all."

Surely good, clear communication that helps lead to the goal of all being treated equally, is key?

He has a history of this. It wasn't based on one post. He used to do it about women's football too. Now he's moved on to concern trolling about race. When challenged he uses is 'agree to disagree' line and runs away.

The message is perfectly clear. It doesn't need to be made more palatable for the kind of white people who don't want to listen anyway. Those that do want to listen could at least take the basic step of educating themselves about the terminology used and the concepts involved before demanding changes so to not offend their sensibilities.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2020 13:47]

Black lives matter... on 13:52 - Jun 7 with 2476 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Black lives matter... on 13:39 - Jun 7 by Ryorry

Thanks Ryorry, I agree.

When it comes to my posts, Spruce will always want to interpret them only how he wants to.

I've become used to it.

Black lives matter... on 13:55 - Jun 7 with 2457 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Black lives matter... on 13:46 - Jun 7 by SpruceMoose

He has a history of this. It wasn't based on one post. He used to do it about women's football too. Now he's moved on to concern trolling about race. When challenged he uses is 'agree to disagree' line and runs away.

The message is perfectly clear. It doesn't need to be made more palatable for the kind of white people who don't want to listen anyway. Those that do want to listen could at least take the basic step of educating themselves about the terminology used and the concepts involved before demanding changes so to not offend their sensibilities.

Did you read my post about White Privilege, and my educating myself on the terms?

I'm really not sure what would please you.

You may call them 'white people who don't want to listen', but they maybe be 'people who don't yet understand'.

Communication is key here, but I'm not sure whether you prefer a fight rather than a resolution.

Black lives matter... on 13:56 - Jun 7 with 2455 viewsSpruceMoose

Black lives matter... on 13:52 - Jun 7 by Marshalls_Mullet

Thanks Ryorry, I agree.

When it comes to my posts, Spruce will always want to interpret them only how he wants to.

I've become used to it.

Of course, you're the real victim here. Makes perfect sense!

Black lives matter... on 13:59 - Jun 7 with 2448 viewsRyorry

Black lives matter... on 13:46 - Jun 7 by SpruceMoose

No doubt there are some "kind of white people who don't want to listen anyway" but I'm talking about the ones who are simply unaware, and who would be very happy to join in the #BlackLivesMatter movement, even join the protests - if things were explained to them in language they can understand - as indeed was very well done in the first part of this thread, including a post from yourself.

Treating people with condescension or even hostility when they want to, and are trying to understand, tends to be counterproductive.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024