Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Toy gun story 22:55 - Jul 24 with 8932 viewsjeera

Has this been covered on here?

The kid is sitting on the sofa in the living room and a passerby reported it to the police who then show up pointing guns at the family? Bloody hell:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-53532799

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Toy gun story on 08:49 - Jul 25 with 4369 viewsLibero

I haven’t read the story yet, but I’m going to take a wild guess that the kid in question was black?
Toy gun story on 08:50 - Jul 25 with 4362 viewsLibero

clicks link Oh, yep, there it is.
Toy gun story on 13:43 - Jul 25 with 4259 viewsLittleBoyBlue

It's not right in any way, but it happens. Police have to respond quickly to all reports of firearms. A friend of mine a few years back had the same thing happen to him. He was playing with his teenage son in their back garden with airsoft pistols, 30 minutes later 4 police cars and a dozen armed officers burst into the house and put them all in hold positions and cuffed them. Apparently a concerned nature walker had seen them both waving the guns around and called the cops.
You need a license to buy and own an air rifle nowadays, and you are registered with the police to limit these kinds of things from happening, no-one under the age of 18 is supposed to own one, if you owned one before the law came in in 2007, you are exempt, but encouraged to register it.
Unfortunately most air rifles/guns made today are designed to look exactly like the real thing, whereas in years past they would be bright colours or the design would be distinctive from a real firearm.

"If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things."

Toy gun story on 14:03 - Jul 25 with 4252 viewssparks

Toy gun story on 13:43 - Jul 25 by LittleBoyBlue

It's not right in any way, but it happens. Police have to respond quickly to all reports of firearms. A friend of mine a few years back had the same thing happen to him. He was playing with his teenage son in their back garden with airsoft pistols, 30 minutes later 4 police cars and a dozen armed officers burst into the house and put them all in hold positions and cuffed them. Apparently a concerned nature walker had seen them both waving the guns around and called the cops.
You need a license to buy and own an air rifle nowadays, and you are registered with the police to limit these kinds of things from happening, no-one under the age of 18 is supposed to own one, if you owned one before the law came in in 2007, you are exempt, but encouraged to register it.
Unfortunately most air rifles/guns made today are designed to look exactly like the real thing, whereas in years past they would be bright colours or the design would be distinctive from a real firearm.

Dont think you need a licence for an airgun.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Toy gun story on 15:39 - Jul 25 with 4172 viewsLittleBoyBlue

Toy gun story on 14:03 - Jul 25 by sparks

Dont think you need a licence for an airgun.

It depends on the power of it. Offhand I don't know the exact rules, but I believe if it's over 30 fps, you need a fire arms license as that's considered a dangerous projectile weapon, like a crossbow, anything under that you have to still get it registered with your local authority.
It's not like the license you need for an actual firearm, where you now need to have a full DNB check and a psychological profile done before you can buy one.
It's a hazy law, as so many are exempt because they were purchased long ago.
The main reason they changed the law was due to several adults, kids and pets who were injured quite badly, a few died too, as the power of the guns had trebled since it was last reviewed in the 70's. Also because of the rise in replica guns being used in crimes, and the fact that a lot of air pistols can fairly easily be changed in to actual firearms, although they are not designed for it and can be highly dangerous to the user, several people have been severely injured trying to use modified air pistols, with real ammunition.

Edit: https://bbguns4less.co.uk/pages/bbguns-and-the-law.html

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_issues_in_airsoft#United_Kingdom
[Post edited 25 Jul 2020 16:00]

"If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things."

Toy gun story on 15:52 - Jul 25 with 4169 viewssparks

Toy gun story on 15:39 - Jul 25 by LittleBoyBlue

It depends on the power of it. Offhand I don't know the exact rules, but I believe if it's over 30 fps, you need a fire arms license as that's considered a dangerous projectile weapon, like a crossbow, anything under that you have to still get it registered with your local authority.
It's not like the license you need for an actual firearm, where you now need to have a full DNB check and a psychological profile done before you can buy one.
It's a hazy law, as so many are exempt because they were purchased long ago.
The main reason they changed the law was due to several adults, kids and pets who were injured quite badly, a few died too, as the power of the guns had trebled since it was last reviewed in the 70's. Also because of the rise in replica guns being used in crimes, and the fact that a lot of air pistols can fairly easily be changed in to actual firearms, although they are not designed for it and can be highly dangerous to the user, several people have been severely injured trying to use modified air pistols, with real ammunition.

Edit: https://bbguns4less.co.uk/pages/bbguns-and-the-law.html

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_issues_in_airsoft#United_Kingdom
[Post edited 25 Jul 2020 16:00]

You can get all but high powered stuff without licence. You can buy online.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Toy gun story on 16:06 - Jul 25 with 4128 viewsLittleBoyBlue

Toy gun story on 15:52 - Jul 25 by sparks

You can get all but high powered stuff without licence. You can buy online.

Yes but you still have to have it registered. I edited my post with 2 links just as you posted.
I did originally state you only needed the license for high powered, otherwise you have to belong to a registered group, I thought was local authority, so you still have to prove you are allowed to own it and have the insurance and you can only get this by registration with the official body that deals with it.

Toy gun story on 16:32 - Jul 25 with 4124 viewsPendejo

Damned of they do, damned if they don't.

Until the alleged firearm is inspected, they have to assume it's real.

If they didn't respond, someone for shot and it comes out it was reported... He'll to pay. How can any parent this day and age condone a child having imitation firearms?

https://www.murdermap.co.uk/maps/london-homicide-map-2020/

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/07/12/five-murders-week-london-experiences

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Login to get fewer ads

Toy gun story on 17:24 - Jul 25 with 4076 viewsjeera

Toy gun story on 16:32 - Jul 25 by Pendejo

Damned of they do, damned if they don't.

Until the alleged firearm is inspected, they have to assume it's real.

If they didn't respond, someone for shot and it comes out it was reported... He'll to pay. How can any parent this day and age condone a child having imitation firearms?

https://www.murdermap.co.uk/maps/london-homicide-map-2020/

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/07/12/five-murders-week-london-experiences

Really?

No question why someone walking past thought it ok to be peering into someone's home through the window, let alone then call the police out?

You've got to be kidding me. This is someone's home, not some lout waving around some replica in the street.
[Post edited 25 Jul 2020 17:28]

Toy gun story on 18:15 - Jul 25 with 4042 viewssparks

Toy gun story on 16:06 - Jul 25 by LittleBoyBlue

Yes but you still have to have it registered. I edited my post with 2 links just as you posted.
I did originally state you only needed the license for high powered, otherwise you have to belong to a registered group, I thought was local authority, so you still have to prove you are allowed to own it and have the insurance and you can only get this by registration with the official body that deals with it.

The links relate to airsoft- and do not require a licence.

You need ID to buy an airgun- but no registration or licence if it is under, I think, 12lbs.

Toy gun story on 18:21 - Jul 25 with 4031 viewsSpruceMoose

Toy gun story on 18:15 - Jul 25 by sparks

You need ID to buy an airgun- but no registration or licence if it is under, I think, 12lbs.

Fairly sure you just have to loudly declare that you have a licence and you have one. Much like giving away your citizenship or entering into bankruptcy, some things are done vocally. According to some at least...

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Toy gun story on 18:28 - Jul 25 with 4006 viewsRyorry

Toy gun story on 13:43 - Jul 25 by LittleBoyBlue

I bought a .22 air rifle in 1995 & it looked very much like the "real thing", incl a telescopic sight.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Toy gun story on 21:19 - Jul 25 with 3953 viewsLittleBoyBlue

Toy gun story on 18:15 - Jul 25 by sparks

Yeah, that's what BB guns, air rifles, air pistols are all classed as now, they're part of the airsoft range. It's meant to avoid confusion, as airsoft is a national sport, so they've rolled all the various air, gas and spring loaded guns into the same category.

You are not legally allowed to buy one unless you are registered with one of the hundreds of airsoft clubs around the country. Licence for a firearm if it fires over a certain fps, 30 I believe??.
If you already owned one before the law came into effect, you're exempt, but they would prefer you registered it with the legal body and you can be charged if you use it without it being registered as you wouldn't be insured to use it.

"An airgun must be sold face to face in a gun shop by a registered firearms dealer, and they can not be sold on the internet and put in the post, unlike an airsoft gun that can be posted, also they do not need to be sold by a registered firearms dealer, yet they still need to be registered with a skirmishing club. One of the measures put in place to monitor the trade was by the forming of a centrally recorded and maintained database. This system is managed by the United Kingdom Airsoft Retailers Association or UKARA. UKARA shares the database of registered skirmishers with the member retailers allowing verification that the purchaser is allowed to buy a RIF under the VCRA skirmisher defence. To qualify for the UKARA database, a person must skirmish three or more times over a period of at least 56 days, and typically at one site."

So either way, if you buy one you have to be registered either with an official firearms dealer or through a airsoft blub
[Post edited 27 Jul 2020 0:32]

Toy gun story on 21:20 - Jul 25 with 3961 viewsPendejo

Toy gun story on 17:24 - Jul 25 by jeera

Really?

No question why someone walking past thought it ok to be peering into someone's home through the window, let alone then call the police out?

You've got to be kidding me. This is someone's home, not some lout waving around some replica in the street.

I merely defended the Met for responding to a reported firearm.

Can you honestly say you've never seen anything thru a window even accidently?

uberima fides

Toy gun story on 21:24 - Jul 25 with 3955 viewsjeera

Toy gun story on 21:20 - Jul 25 by Pendejo

I merely defended the Met for responding to a reported firearm.

Can you honestly say you've never seen anything thru a window even accidently?

My OP was in despair at the whole thing not to [just] pick holes in the police.

I don't tend to wander down the street looking through people's windows, absolutely and definitely not.

You've got to be a bit weird to not only look into to someone's home but then make a decision on your own that a child's toy is indeed worthy of calling the law.

No, I can categorically say that is bang out order, proven in no small part by the fact it was actually a kid in his own home holding a flipping toy gun!

It's not a normal thing to happen.

Toy gun story on 21:27 - Jul 25 with 3938 viewsLittleBoyBlue

Toy gun story on 17:24 - Jul 25 by jeera

Really?

People are nosey, the vast majority of people are "rubberneckers". If it's visible to the general public it counts unfortunately, even in the privacy of your own home, that's why most people buy curtains, blinds or net curtains.
It's the same thing as being naked, you can walk around your home in the buff to your hearts desire, but if you do so and someone looks in your window as they walk past, you can get done for indecent exposure.

Toy gun story on 21:37 - Jul 25 with 3933 viewsLibero

Toy gun story on 21:27 - Jul 25 by LittleBoyBlue

People are nosey, the vast majority of people are "rubberneckers". If it's visible to the general public it counts unfortunately, even in the privacy of your own home, that's why most people buy curtains, blinds or net curtains.
It's the same thing as being naked, you can walk around your home in the buff to your hearts desire, but if you do so and someone looks in your window as they walk past, you can get done for indecent exposure.

One of my neighbours (Crystal Palace supporter) cannot drive past my house without turning his head and looking into our bay window for a proper stare.
No one else does it, just him, and he does it EVERY time.

I keep telling the wife I’m going to start waving at the nosey c*nt, makes absolutely no sense as to why he can’t drive past without looking in. T0sser.
[Post edited 25 Jul 2020 21:38]
Toy gun story on 21:39 - Jul 25 with 3913 viewsLittleBoyBlue

Toy gun story on 18:21 - Jul 25 by SpruceMoose

Fairly sure you just have to loudly declare that you have a licence and you have one. Much like giving away your citizenship or entering into bankruptcy, some things are done vocally. According to some at least...

Well if you think like that then there's no hope for you. Most things these days takes time to go through a process, especially registering or cancelling something, as paperwork has to be drawn up or signed to match the intentions of your wishes.
I have repeatedly told you this when discussing citizenship, so I think you are just trolling again or really are stupid.

Bankruptcy, never done it, so haven't ever discussed it with anyone as I don't talk about subjects unless I become fluent in them, I can read up on the subject and learn about if you want, then I could hopefully help you understand some of the problems you have with it

Toy gun story on 21:51 - Jul 25 with 3893 viewseireblue

Toy gun story on 21:27 - Jul 25 by LittleBoyBlue

Intent?
Toy gun story on 21:51 - Jul 25 with 3889 viewsSpruceMoose

Toy gun story on 21:39 - Jul 25 by LittleBoyBlue

Well if you think like that then there's no hope for you. Most things these days takes time to go through a process, especially registering or cancelling something, as paperwork has to be drawn up or signed to match the intentions of your wishes.
I have repeatedly told you this when discussing citizenship, so I think you are just trolling again or really are stupid.

Bankruptcy, never done it, so haven't ever discussed it with anyone as I don't talk about subjects unless I become fluent in them, I can read up on the subject and learn about if you want, then I could hopefully help you understand some of the problems you have with it

So abusive. So unnecessary.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Toy gun story on 23:46 - Jul 25 with 3832 viewsPendejo

Toy gun story on 21:24 - Jul 25 by jeera

My OP was in despair at the whole thing not to [just] pick holes in the police.

I don't tend to wander down the street looking through people's windows, absolutely and definitely not.

You've got to be a bit weird to not only look into to someone's home but then make a decision on your own that a child's toy is indeed worthy of calling the law.

No, I can categorically say that is bang out order, proven in no small part by the fact it was actually a kid in his own home holding a flipping toy gun!

It's not a normal thing to happen.

If the item was coloured bright yellow and orange, maybe, but depending on the light how do you know it's a you 'til you handle it?

As for nosey passer by, maybe some movement inside house caught attention in corner of eye and they looked and saw, what they believed to be someone waving a gun. Silence is violence right?

uberima fides

Toy gun story on 00:36 - Jul 26 with 3808 viewsBryanPlug

Toy gun story on 08:49 - Jul 25 by Libero

I haven’t read the story yet, but I’m going to take a wild guess that the kid in question was black?

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Toy gun story on 00:56 - Jul 26 with 3787 viewsSpruceMoose

Toy gun story on 00:36 - Jul 26 by BryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Of the neighbour?

Toy gun story on 08:51 - Jul 26 with 3688 viewssparks

Toy gun story on 21:19 - Jul 25 by LittleBoyBlue

Yeah, that's what BB guns, air rifles, air pistols are all classed as now, they're part of the airsoft range. It's meant to avoid confusion, as airsoft is a national sport, so they've rolled all the various air, gas and spring loaded guns into the same category.

You are not legally allowed to buy one unless you are registered with one of the hundreds of airsoft clubs around the country. Licence for a firearm if it fires over a certain fps, 30 I believe??.
If you already owned one before the law came into effect, you're exempt, but they would prefer you registered it with the legal body and you can be charged if you use it without it being registered as you wouldn't be insured to use it.

"An airgun must be sold face to face in a gun shop by a registered firearms dealer, and they can not be sold on the internet and put in the post, unlike an airsoft gun that can be posted, also they do not need to be sold by a registered firearms dealer, yet they still need to be registered with a skirmishing club. One of the measures put in place to monitor the trade was by the forming of a centrally recorded and maintained database. This system is managed by the United Kingdom Airsoft Retailers Association or UKARA. UKARA shares the database of registered skirmishers with the member retailers allowing verification that the purchaser is allowed to buy a RIF under the VCRA skirmisher defence. To qualify for the UKARA database, a person must skirmish three or more times over a period of at least 56 days, and typically at one site."

So either way, if you buy one you have to be registered either with an official firearms dealer or through a airsoft blub
[Post edited 27 Jul 2020 0:32]

Simply not correct.

Airsofts designed to fire plastic pellets.

There is no club requirement for airguns.

https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/guns/air-rifle/airgun-security-law-26100

Toy gun story on 09:50 - Jul 26 with 3655 viewsKropotkin123

On a side note, and in no way looking to suggest an opinion on the original story, would/have you bought your kid a toy gun?

In my house they were banned when I was growing up. I think I will do the same. I don't see the value in kids playing with toy guns.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024