Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Poor from M&S. 19:47 - Aug 1 with 9807 viewsShawsey

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8583179/M-S-RENAMES-Falklands-globe-usi
Poor from M&S. on 14:01 - Aug 2 with 2804 viewsJ2BLUE

Poor from M&S. on 13:14 - Aug 2 by 26_Paz

No, they’re doing it because for some reason certain elements of society seem to want to out do each other in how woke they can be

I'm starting to think you're a very poor comedy creation.

Or just incredibly thick.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Poor from M&S. on 14:03 - Aug 2 with 2794 viewsfooters

Poor from M&S. on 13:57 - Aug 2 by WeWereZombies

Although an Argentine joke has it that they won the Falklands War because they were able to get rid of their dictator straight away and we were stuck with ours for another decade.

And like all good jokes, funny because it's true.

I still hate the whole thing for making the price of corned beef go up. Bastards.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Poor from M&S. on 14:04 - Aug 2 with 2789 viewsNthQldITFC

Poor from M&S. on 13:46 - Aug 2 by Herbivore

But we won the war!!!!

Ee-aye-adio.

I never buy my globes from M&S anyway, too much talcum powder in the atmosphere for my taste.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Poor from M&S. on 14:05 - Aug 2 with 2782 viewsfooters

Poor from M&S. on 14:01 - Aug 2 by J2BLUE

I'm starting to think you're a very poor comedy creation.

Or just incredibly thick.

Don't be mean to Paz. I'm trying to coach him round to the leftybumfest side of the argument. If you can be deradicalised, then so can anyone.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Poor from M&S. on 14:28 - Aug 2 with 2744 viewsSpruceMoose

Poor from M&S. on 13:14 - Aug 2 by 26_Paz

No, they’re doing it because for some reason certain elements of society seem to want to out do each other in how woke they can be

Ffs Paz just try engaging your brain for once.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Poor from M&S. on 19:41 - Aug 2 with 2653 views26_Paz

Poor from M&S. on 14:05 - Aug 2 by footers

Don't be mean to Paz. I'm trying to coach him round to the leftybumfest side of the argument. If you can be deradicalised, then so can anyone.

You’ve got some task on your hands there mate!

The Paz Man

Poor from M&S. on 22:58 - Aug 2 with 2590 viewsStokieBlue

Poor from M&S. on 20:39 - Aug 1 by noggin

I'll tell you what was a slap in the face for British troops who died there.... The fact that Thatcher sent them to their deaths. America offered to broker peace but she wanted blood.

Not entirely true.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702303816504577313852502105454

The US offered to broker a situation where the Argentineans basically kept the islands.

Given the population continually vote to be British how is that different to someone invading the Isle of Wight and then the US offering to broker a deal which involves them keeping it because they believe it's theirs?

Essentially the implication is that might is right and that invasions of democratic countries or protectorates are acceptable and the wishes of the existing population are secondary.

As for the opening post, does it really matter? Seems like something that you'd usually accuse someone of being a snowflake over if they got upset.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Poor from M&S. on 13:18 - Aug 3 with 2488 viewssolomon

Poor from M&S. on 20:39 - Aug 1 by noggin

I'll tell you what was a slap in the face for British troops who died there.... The fact that Thatcher sent them to their deaths. America offered to broker peace but she wanted blood.

They did offer to broker peace, which we rejected, much the same as we rejected their invasion of communist Caribbean revolutionary Grenada 12 months late.
Login to get fewer ads

Poor from M&S. on 13:40 - Aug 3 with 2461 viewsDarth_Koont

Blimey! Chill out.

They're internationally also called the Malvinas, Malouines etc. Nothing to see here.

Pronouns: He/Him

Poor from M&S. on 15:38 - Aug 3 with 2404 viewsnoggin

Poor from M&S. on 13:18 - Aug 3 by solomon

They did offer to broker peace, which we rejected, much the same as we rejected their invasion of communist Caribbean revolutionary Grenada 12 months late.

From what I have read, America wanted a full withdrawal of Argentine troops before brokering a peace plan. That wasn't enough for Thatcher and 255 British servicemen and hundreds of young Argentinian conscripts sadly lost their lives.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Poor from M&S. on 15:50 - Aug 3 with 2382 views26_Paz

Poor from M&S. on 15:38 - Aug 3 by noggin

From what I have read, America wanted a full withdrawal of Argentine troops before brokering a peace plan. That wasn't enough for Thatcher and 255 British servicemen and hundreds of young Argentinian conscripts sadly lost their lives.

To win back our sovereign territory which had been illegally invaded against the democratically expressed wishes of those who lived there.

The Paz Man

Poor from M&S. on 15:52 - Aug 3 with 2376 viewsStokieBlue

Poor from M&S. on 15:38 - Aug 3 by noggin

That doesn't tally with the WSJ article I posted above.

Do you have a link?

SB

Poor from M&S. on 15:55 - Aug 3 with 2363 viewsnoggin

Poor from M&S. on 15:52 - Aug 3 by StokieBlue

That doesn't tally with the WSJ article I posted above.

Do you have a link?

SB

https://www.thereaganfiles.com/document-collections/the-falklands-crisis.html

"Secretary Haig’s “Shuttle Diplomacy” was officially launched on April 6 (see Document 2), and on April 8 he arrived in London hoping to persuade Great Britain to allow for the creation of an interim administration over the Falklands in which Argentine forces would comply with UN Resolution 502, which required a complete withdrawal. Prime Minister Thatcher, however, would not negotiate anything less than the withdrawal of all Argentineans; restoration of the British administration; and preservation of the right of self-determination for the Falklanders. (See Document 3.)"

I can't read your link as there is a paywall.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2020 15:56]

Poor from M&S. on 15:57 - Aug 3 with 2350 viewsnoggin

Poor from M&S. on 15:50 - Aug 3 by 26_Paz

To win back our sovereign territory which had been illegally invaded against the democratically expressed wishes of those who lived there.

I take it none of your children were killed down there?

Poor from M&S. on 16:00 - Aug 3 with 2338 viewsStokieBlue

Poor from M&S. on 15:55 - Aug 3 by noggin

https://www.thereaganfiles.com/document-collections/the-falklands-crisis.html

"Secretary Haig’s “Shuttle Diplomacy” was officially launched on April 6 (see Document 2), and on April 8 he arrived in London hoping to persuade Great Britain to allow for the creation of an interim administration over the Falklands in which Argentine forces would comply with UN Resolution 502, which required a complete withdrawal. Prime Minister Thatcher, however, would not negotiate anything less than the withdrawal of all Argentineans; restoration of the British administration; and preservation of the right of self-determination for the Falklanders. (See Document 3.)"

I can't read your link as there is a paywall.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2020 15:56]

Thanks.

Secretary Haig’s “Shuttle Diplomacy” was officially launched on April 6 (see Document 2), and on April 8 he arrived in London hoping to persuade Great Britain to allow for the creation of an interim administration over the Falklands in which Argentine forces would comply with UN Resolution 502, which required a complete withdrawal. Prime Minister Thatcher, however, would not negotiate anything less than the withdrawal of all Argentineans; restoration of the British administration; and preservation of the right of self-determination for the Falklanders. (See Document 3.)

So basically the Argentinians get to be included in an interim-government which would govern the Falklands. You are surprised Thatcher didn't agree to that?

Do you think that the US would have agreed to Japan having some of the interim government if they invaded Hawaii? Do you think they would agree to their citizens losing their right to self-determination?

Clearly they would never agree to that. It's saying that invasions are the way forward if you want to get your own way.

SB
[Post edited 3 Aug 2020 16:01]

Poor from M&S. on 16:04 - Aug 3 with 2321 viewsnoggin

Poor from M&S. on 16:00 - Aug 3 by StokieBlue

Thanks.

Secretary Haig’s “Shuttle Diplomacy” was officially launched on April 6 (see Document 2), and on April 8 he arrived in London hoping to persuade Great Britain to allow for the creation of an interim administration over the Falklands in which Argentine forces would comply with UN Resolution 502, which required a complete withdrawal. Prime Minister Thatcher, however, would not negotiate anything less than the withdrawal of all Argentineans; restoration of the British administration; and preservation of the right of self-determination for the Falklanders. (See Document 3.)

So basically the Argentinians get to be included in an interim-government which would govern the Falklands. You are surprised Thatcher didn't agree to that?

Do you think that the US would have agreed to Japan having some of the interim government if they invaded Hawaii? Do you think they would agree to their citizens losing their right to self-determination?

Clearly they would never agree to that. It's saying that invasions are the way forward if you want to get your own way.

SB

All I'm saying is, there was room for negotiation and Thatcher refused. I see those lives lost, on both sides, as wasted and possibly avoidable. Others think they were necessary and worth the outcome.

Poor from M&S. on 16:05 - Aug 3 with 2317 viewsDarth_Koont

Poor from M&S. on 16:00 - Aug 3 by StokieBlue

Thanks.

SB

The UN resolution was about finding a peaceful solution and avoiding a military conflict and loss of life.

What's wrong with that? Why would the withdrawal of the Argentine military have been a problem?

Pronouns: He/Him

Poor from M&S. on 16:14 - Aug 3 with 2285 viewslongtimefan

Poor from M&S. on 16:04 - Aug 3 by noggin

All I'm saying is, there was room for negotiation and Thatcher refused. I see those lives lost, on both sides, as wasted and possibly avoidable. Others think they were necessary and worth the outcome.

This from the I would suggest the UK were willing to negotiate.

“This was interpreted by the British high command as signifying that movement towards her home port by the two ships may well have been acts of subterfuge. The sinking took place 14 hours after the President of Peru, Fernando Belaunde, proposed a comprehensive peace plan which included regional states playing a role. After the sinking, Argentina rejected the plan but the UK indicated its acceptance on 5 May. The news was dominated by military action and it is not well known that the British continued to offer ceasefire terms until 1 June.“

https://www.independent.co.uk/hei-fi/entertainment/moment-that-sank-hopes-of-fal
Poor from M&S. on 16:19 - Aug 3 with 2269 viewsStokieBlue

Poor from M&S. on 16:05 - Aug 3 by Darth_Koont

The UN resolution was about finding a peaceful solution and avoiding a military conflict and loss of life.

What's wrong with that? Why would the withdrawal of the Argentine military have been a problem?

Further down in the document linked by noggin it said the Junta was unwilling to enter any discussions which involved the withdraw of the Argentine military hence she broke off discussions.

They were never going to withdraw them, that was the problem. You seem to be indicating they were willing to - can you provide a source.

Of course trying to avoid loss of life is the most important thing but I think a few viewpoints are based on the generalised hatred of Thatcher rather than the situation as it was in reality.

SB

Poor from M&S. on 16:22 - Aug 3 with 2265 viewsStokieBlue

Poor from M&S. on 16:04 - Aug 3 by noggin

Agree that it was a waste of life but what outcome would be fair on the British citizens who lived there?

Anything which wasn't a return to the life they enjoyed before is a justification of violence from the Argentinians which must also surely be unacceptable?

From further down your article the Junta weren't that willing to negotiate either if it involved removing troops (probably because they rightly thought the British would just ignore them once the troops were gone).

I do agree it was a pointless conflict, instigated by the awful Argentinian regime and not handled particularly well by the British.

SB
[Post edited 3 Aug 2020 16:23]

Poor from M&S. on 16:23 - Aug 3 with 2261 viewsnoggin

Poor from M&S. on 16:14 - Aug 3 by longtimefan

This from the I would suggest the UK were willing to negotiate.

“This was interpreted by the British high command as signifying that movement towards her home port by the two ships may well have been acts of subterfuge. The sinking took place 14 hours after the President of Peru, Fernando Belaunde, proposed a comprehensive peace plan which included regional states playing a role. After the sinking, Argentina rejected the plan but the UK indicated its acceptance on 5 May. The news was dominated by military action and it is not well known that the British continued to offer ceasefire terms until 1 June.“

https://www.independent.co.uk/hei-fi/entertainment/moment-that-sank-hopes-of-fal

After the sinking, which killed over 300 Argentinians. Remember, The Belgrano was not in the exclusion zone and was heading away from the Islands.

Poor from M&S. on 16:47 - Aug 3 with 2220 viewslongtimefan

Poor from M&S. on 16:23 - Aug 3 by noggin

After the sinking, which killed over 300 Argentinians. Remember, The Belgrano was not in the exclusion zone and was heading away from the Islands.

I suggest you read the previous paragraph to that I’ve quoted in the linked article. I believe the Belgrano Captain has also recently admitted that their course was only temporary, part of there standard submarine avoidance measures.

Edit : Prior to his death, not recently.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2020 16:49]
Poor from M&S. on 17:04 - Aug 3 with 2199 viewsjaykay

the globe has got to be withdrawn, its also got honduras not british honduras on it.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Poor from M&S. on 17:37 - Aug 3 with 2171 viewshampstead_blue

Oh dear.

Someone clearly has been at the cooking sherry

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Poor from M&S. on 17:38 - Aug 3 with 2173 viewsnoggin

Poor from M&S. on 16:19 - Aug 3 by StokieBlue

Further down in the document linked by noggin it said the Junta was unwilling to enter any discussions which involved the withdraw of the Argentine military hence she broke off discussions.

They were never going to withdraw them, that was the problem. You seem to be indicating they were willing to - can you provide a source.

Of course trying to avoid loss of life is the most important thing but I think a few viewpoints are based on the generalised hatred of Thatcher rather than the situation as it was in reality.

SB

"Haig’s first round in Buenos Aires must have been as disappointing as his first round in London, as the Argentinean’s required a halt to the British Armada before even considering any withdrawal."

Seems they were at least open to negotiation in the early stages.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024