Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Number 9 Position 21:38 - Aug 18 with 3163 viewsHorsham

Drinan more is effective than Jackson?

Only a friendly but given the apparent preference for 4-3-3, Jackson’s role is up for debate.
Number 9 Position on 23:16 - Aug 18 with 762 viewsHorsham

Number 9 Position on 23:03 - Aug 18 by BlueBadger

Now this is what a REAL display of getting carried away after a preseason game looks like.

Not really but clearly understood that way. It is more a comment on how ineffective Jackson is as the number 9 in the formation used. Presumably you think Jackson is a viable lone central striker?
Number 9 Position on 23:20 - Aug 18 with 758 viewsHorsham

Number 9 Position on 23:02 - Aug 18 by Libero

Man alive, the state of that OP.

You think Jackson’s role in the 4-3-3 is clear cut?
Number 9 Position on 23:27 - Aug 18 with 738 viewsHorsham

Number 9 Position on 23:01 - Aug 18 by Mach_foreignBlue

I can't be arsed to repeat some things I've said above. Better to stop it. Whatever you have said, you have.

Fair enough just i don’t think you ever did say whether you thought Jackson can play that central role in a 3. Apologies if you did.
Number 9 Position on 23:30 - Aug 18 with 732 viewsBlueBadger

Number 9 Position on 23:16 - Aug 18 by Horsham

Not really but clearly understood that way. It is more a comment on how ineffective Jackson is as the number 9 in the formation used. Presumably you think Jackson is a viable lone central striker?

Careful with those matches round that straw man there.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Number 9 Position on 23:49 - Aug 18 with 713 viewsHorsham

Number 9 Position on 23:30 - Aug 18 by BlueBadger

Careful with those matches round that straw man there.

Thank you. That was quite an enlightening comment! I think you, Libby and Mach all misunderstood the point of my original post. If three diverse people all do so then it’s probably my fault. On that basis apologies to all except Libby who was just rude. He’s can sod off!
Number 9 Position on 00:00 - Aug 19 with 688 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Number 9 Position on 23:49 - Aug 18 by Horsham

Thank you. That was quite an enlightening comment! I think you, Libby and Mach all misunderstood the point of my original post. If three diverse people all do so then it’s probably my fault. On that basis apologies to all except Libby who was just rude. He’s can sod off!

No need to apologise for your opinions. It's all about opinions on the forum. My main point is that it's by far too early to draw the conclusions regarding Drinan because as things stand he has done nothing in professional football so far. That was only a one pre-season game tonight and we'll see what happens afterwards.
Number 9 Position on 00:09 - Aug 19 with 672 viewsHorsham

Number 9 Position on 00:00 - Aug 19 by Mach_foreignBlue

No need to apologise for your opinions. It's all about opinions on the forum. My main point is that it's by far too early to draw the conclusions regarding Drinan because as things stand he has done nothing in professional football so far. That was only a one pre-season game tonight and we'll see what happens afterwards.

For the records. Jackson is clearly better footballer than Drinnan. Just I’m not sure where he fits into the system Lambert wants to play. Drinan is irrelevant really. You’re right a friendly changes beggar all. My original point was all about Jackson but didn’t come across that way. FWIW I will come back and gloat endlessly when Drinan has scored 30 goals this season 😂
Number 9 Position on 00:16 - Aug 19 with 660 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Number 9 Position on 00:09 - Aug 19 by Horsham

For the records. Jackson is clearly better footballer than Drinnan. Just I’m not sure where he fits into the system Lambert wants to play. Drinan is irrelevant really. You’re right a friendly changes beggar all. My original point was all about Jackson but didn’t come across that way. FWIW I will come back and gloat endlessly when Drinan has scored 30 goals this season 😂

Last season was a good indication that Jackson on his own upfront doesn't work well but it isn't a disaster either. Drinan isn't the answer though. Or to be more precise we can't draw any conclusions after one pre-season game.

Mind you in the last few years we have had strikers playing on their own upfront and it wasn't suitable for some of them.

I'd love you to come back and gloat if Drinan scores 30 goals.
Login to get fewer ads

Number 9 Position on 07:28 - Aug 19 with 600 viewsElderGrizzly

Drinan probably won’t even be here at the start of the season
Number 9 Position on 07:29 - Aug 19 with 600 viewsLibero

LOL!
Number 9 Position on 07:30 - Aug 19 with 598 viewsLibero

Number 9 Position on 23:20 - Aug 18 by Horsham

You think Jackson’s role in the 4-3-3 is clear cut?

DUNN0 m8, mebey Drinaninin is moar effectuv? xoxo
Number 9 Position on 07:36 - Aug 19 with 594 viewsHorsham

Number 9 Position on 07:30 - Aug 19 by Libero

DUNN0 m8, mebey Drinaninin is moar effectuv? xoxo

Surprised you can’t get that wasn’t the point I was making. You ok?
Number 9 Position on 08:03 - Aug 19 with 555 viewsHerbivore

Number 9 Position on 00:09 - Aug 19 by Horsham

He fits in on the right of a front three.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Number 9 Position on 08:13 - Aug 19 with 544 viewsHorsham

Number 9 Position on 08:03 - Aug 19 by Herbivore

He fits in on the right of a front three.

I’d agree. Playing him as the number 9 and isn t going to work. He doesn’t have the attributes to play there and it wasted the attributes he does have.

FWIW I like the 4-3-3 being adopted and hope PL sticks with it but in essence Jackson has a lot to lose by this happening because he more than anyone else is suited to us playing a traditional 2 up front.

I don’t think he has a bank of experience and/or success playing wide but it looks as if he does possess the raw materials to play that role. Hopefully he can grab it.
Number 9 Position on 08:23 - Aug 19 with 528 viewsHerbivore

Number 9 Position on 08:13 - Aug 19 by Horsham

I’d agree. Playing him as the number 9 and isn t going to work. He doesn’t have the attributes to play there and it wasted the attributes he does have.

FWIW I like the 4-3-3 being adopted and hope PL sticks with it but in essence Jackson has a lot to lose by this happening because he more than anyone else is suited to us playing a traditional 2 up front.

I don’t think he has a bank of experience and/or success playing wide but it looks as if he does possess the raw materials to play that role. Hopefully he can grab it.

He played there a bit at Accrington at times. From what I've seen of him here I think it's a role that will suit him. He drew the short straw last night as none of our other strikers were fit and Sears is even less suited to being a lone striker. I also hope we stick with a 4-3-3 or a variant of it, but I don't trust Lambert to do so.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Number 9 Position on 08:32 - Aug 19 with 519 viewsHorsham

Number 9 Position on 08:23 - Aug 19 by Herbivore

He played there a bit at Accrington at times. From what I've seen of him here I think it's a role that will suit him. He drew the short straw last night as none of our other strikers were fit and Sears is even less suited to being a lone striker. I also hope we stick with a 4-3-3 or a variant of it, but I don't trust Lambert to do so.

I think asking Jackson to play the central striker role in the 4-3-3 is a bit like getting KVY to play centre back. I think people struggle to understand that the roles are different when the shape of he team changes.
Number 9 Position on 08:34 - Aug 19 with 511 viewsitfcjoe

I tend to agree he has more attributes to play that role in the system we set up with last night.

Jackson clearly a way ahead of him, but in that role he just drags himself out to the channels and out wide trying to get things going and leaves a large void in the central area. Drianan's positional discipline and ability to play the role required last night was quite impressive - goals aside.

With Hawkins and Norwood here, Jackson needs to work out how to play one of those wide forward roles or he simply isn't going to get many minutes - if we could make a profit on him he could well go as well

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Number 9 Position on 09:03 - Aug 19 with 487 viewsHorsham

Number 9 Position on 08:34 - Aug 19 by itfcjoe

I tend to agree he has more attributes to play that role in the system we set up with last night.

Jackson clearly a way ahead of him, but in that role he just drags himself out to the channels and out wide trying to get things going and leaves a large void in the central area. Drianan's positional discipline and ability to play the role required last night was quite impressive - goals aside.

With Hawkins and Norwood here, Jackson needs to work out how to play one of those wide forward roles or he simply isn't going to get many minutes - if we could make a profit on him he could well go as well

I think that is exactly it. I do worry that with Norwood’s fitness being questionable and Hawkins having played so little last season that Jackson might be needed to get to play through the middle more than we would ideally like.
Number 9 Position on 09:08 - Aug 19 with 484 viewsGeoffSentence

I don't know what it is, but there is something inherently funny about telling someone to sod off. Uppy for that.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Number 9 Position on 09:11 - Aug 19 with 481 viewsHorsham

Number 9 Position on 09:08 - Aug 19 by GeoffSentence

I don't know what it is, but there is something inherently funny about telling someone to sod off. Uppy for that.

Not only that but I have discovered that sod is acceptable to TWTD but b*gger is not. I find that slightly odd.
Number 9 Position on 09:36 - Aug 19 with 460 viewsLibero

Number 9 Position on 07:36 - Aug 19 by Horsham

Surprised you can’t get that wasn’t the point I was making. You ok?

I'm good mate, now tell me to sod off again, i'm a bad boy. xoxo
Number 9 Position on 09:40 - Aug 19 with 451 viewsLibero

Number 9 Position on 09:08 - Aug 19 by GeoffSentence

Yup, loved that, despite being on the receiving end.
Number 9 Position on 09:42 - Aug 19 with 445 viewsportmanking

Number 9 Position on 08:34 - Aug 19 by itfcjoe

Yep, it's all about positional discipline for me. Jackson has very little of that. He moves wide all too often and in months gone by too few midfielders have driven into the box to fill the gap he leaves.

Hopefully Lambert and his team have picked up on that. A Jon Walters-esque role on the right of a front three would make best use of him this season for me.
Number 9 Position on 09:47 - Aug 19 with 436 viewsLibero

Number 9 Position on 09:42 - Aug 19 by portmanking

Yep, it's all about positional discipline for me. Jackson has very little of that. He moves wide all too often and in months gone by too few midfielders have driven into the box to fill the gap he leaves.

Hopefully Lambert and his team have picked up on that. A Jon Walters-esque role on the right of a front three would make best use of him this season for me.

Yup, I think he's a very decent option in the right forward role. I don't know how many assists he actually bagged last season, but I remember seeing him create quite a few chances from that inside right position, as well as nabbing a few goals.
Number 9 Position on 09:49 - Aug 19 with 429 viewsHorsham

Number 9 Position on 09:36 - Aug 19 by Libero

I'm good mate, now tell me to sod off again, i'm a bad boy. xoxo

Thank goodness. Now sod off.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024