Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Young person, no mask in a shop...are you really due an explanation? 08:09 - Aug 25 with 1972 viewsbluelagos

https://www.channel4.com/news/rape-survivor-tired-of-explaining-why-wearing-mask

Can you even begin to imagine her distress having to justify herself to a head shaking / tutting stranger?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Young person, no mask in a shop...are you really due an explanation? on 08:31 - Aug 25 with 1426 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Doesn't seem to be a right answer here, as strangers won't immediately know the reason.

I thought people who were exempt could get a badge / pass?

Edit; seems that the badges don't exist yet. Seems a sensible solution.
[Post edited 25 Aug 2020 8:32]

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Young person, no mask in a shop...are you really due an explanation? on 08:32 - Aug 25 with 1423 viewsitfcjoe

It must be tough, of course, but there are rules in place for a reason.

I've seen some people wearing medical exemption lanyards, surely that is the answer? People see them and think she's not wearing a mask due to medical reasons, which this is and then don't tut or ask?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Young person, no mask in a shop...are you really due an explanation? on 08:40 - Aug 25 with 1385 viewsBrixtonBlue

Young person, no mask in a shop...are you really due an explanation? on 08:32 - Aug 25 by itfcjoe

I've seen some people wearing medical exemption lanyards, surely that is the answer? People see them and think she's not wearing a mask due to medical reasons, which this is and then don't tut or ask?

First thing I thought of.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Young person, no mask in a shop...are you really due an explanation? on 08:44 - Aug 25 with 1360 viewsElderGrizzly

Young person, no mask in a shop...are you really due an explanation? on 08:32 - Aug 25 by itfcjoe

Agree, but we’ll then see people selling them on ebay to dickhead anti-maskers
Young person, no mask in a shop...are you really due an explanation? on 08:58 - Aug 25 with 1338 viewsGuthrum

Friend of mine has official exemption from his doctor - with a card to show when questioned.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Young person, no mask in a shop...are you really due an explanation? on 09:07 - Aug 25 with 1325 viewsbluelagos

Young person, no mask in a shop...are you really due an explanation? on 08:44 - Aug 25 by ElderGrizzly

Surely we have the same issue with blue badges (Disabled parking permits) - and they work without massive abuse.

And why would someone who is exempt for medical reasons sell it on rather than use it?

Last point - for the very small amounts of misuse, surely they would benefit those who are deemed medically exempt. Currently some people are scared to go shopping for fear of a confrontation, which seems appalling to me.

Young person, no mask in a shop...are you really due an explanation? on 09:09 - Aug 25 with 1320 viewsbluelagos

Young person, no mask in a shop...are you really due an explanation? on 08:31 - Aug 25 by Marshalls_Mullet

Doesn't seem to be a right answer here, as strangers won't immediately know the reason.

I thought people who were exempt could get a badge / pass?

Edit; seems that the badges don't exist yet. Seems a sensible solution.
[Post edited 25 Aug 2020 8:32]

Is the right answer simply not to comment if you see someone without a mask?

Someone making a judgement, that could be hurtful/upsetting about someone they know nothing of, doesn't seem to be an appropriate response imho.

Young person, no mask in a shop...are you really due an explanation? on 09:10 - Aug 25 with 1312 viewsbluelagos

I think there's some merit if these were formalised. Sounds like a good way forward.

Login to get fewer ads

Young person, no mask in a shop...are you really due an explanation? on 09:13 - Aug 25 with 1307 viewshaynes_toe1

Seems like the obvious solution - I think most peoples natural reaction to someone not wearing a mask is "selfish tw*t" - a medical exemption lanyard would clearly help.

I mean, this could all be resolved in the selfish tw*ts did all wear masks as then we'd know the only one's left are exempt for medical reasons!
Young person, no mask in a shop...are you really due an explanation? on 09:18 - Aug 25 with 1295 viewsElderGrizzly

Young person, no mask in a shop...are you really due an explanation? on 09:07 - Aug 25 by bluelagos

Surely we have the same issue with blue badges (Disabled parking permits) - and they work without massive abuse.

And why would someone who is exempt for medical reasons sell it on rather than use it?

Last point - for the very small amounts of misuse, surely they would benefit those who are deemed medically exempt. Currently some people are scared to go shopping for fear of a confrontation, which seems appalling to me.

They wouldn’t sell them on, they’d be fake ones.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313191747991

We need to find a solution though
Young person, no mask in a shop...are you really due an explanation? on 09:20 - Aug 25 with 1288 viewsbluelagos

Young person, no mask in a shop...are you really due an explanation? on 09:13 - Aug 25 by haynes_toe1

Seems like the obvious solution - I think most peoples natural reaction to someone not wearing a mask is "selfish tw*t" - a medical exemption lanyard would clearly help.

I mean, this could all be resolved in the selfish tw*ts did all wear masks as then we'd know the only one's left are exempt for medical reasons!

"I think most peoples natural reaction to someone not wearing a mask is "selfish tw*t"...."

Therein lies the problem for me. Why assume they are selfish tw*ts? If they are marching around stating "I ain't wearing one of those muzzles" then it is probably a fair assumption.

But they could have a medical issue, breathing or anxiety issues. Or they might just be, god forbid, forgetful.

Is there really any need for the passive aggression shown towards people without any actual knowledge of their circumstances? Can't we all be kinder to each other?
[Post edited 25 Aug 2020 9:32]

Young person, no mask in a shop...are you really due an explanation? on 09:23 - Aug 25 with 1268 viewsclive_baker

Young person, no mask in a shop...are you really due an explanation? on 09:20 - Aug 25 by bluelagos

"I think most peoples natural reaction to someone not wearing a mask is "selfish tw*t"...."

Therein lies the problem for me. Why assume they are selfish tw*ts? If they are marching around stating "I ain't wearing one of those muzzles" then it is probably a fair assumption.

But they could have a medical issue, breathing or anxiety issues. Or they might just be, god forbid, forgetful.

Is there really any need for the passive aggression shown towards people without any actual knowledge of their circumstances? Can't we all be kinder to each other?

Quite.

+1

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Young person, no mask in a shop...are you really due an explanation? on 10:13 - Aug 25 with 1202 viewsitfcjoe

Young person, no mask in a shop...are you really due an explanation? on 08:44 - Aug 25 by ElderGrizzly

Most anti maskers seem to want to make a point out of the fact they are anti masking so prob wouldn’t want them!

Think point remains that they are fine and if people want to abuse them more shame on them

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Young person, no mask in a shop...are you really due an explanation? on 10:25 - Aug 25 with 1167 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Young person, no mask in a shop...are you really due an explanation? on 09:09 - Aug 25 by bluelagos

Is the right answer simply not to comment if you see someone without a mask?

Someone making a judgement, that could be hurtful/upsetting about someone they know nothing of, doesn't seem to be an appropriate response imho.

A badge would sort it.

I personally wouldn't comment.

But equally some people may have severe health issues or may have had covid, and may feel they are put in danger by people not wearing masks.

Let's not be judgemental here.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Young person, no mask in a shop...are you really due an explanation? on 10:27 - Aug 25 with 1158 viewsbluelagos

Young person, no mask in a shop...are you really due an explanation? on 10:25 - Aug 25 by Marshalls_Mullet

A badge would sort it.

I personally wouldn't comment.

But equally some people may have severe health issues or may have had covid, and may feel they are put in danger by people not wearing masks.

Let's not be judgemental here.

I see what you did there :-)

So maybe those who have had CV or are vulnerable need a lanyard with "Tutting and headshakeing permitted" due to a predetermined medical condition :-)
[Post edited 25 Aug 2020 10:29]

Young person, no mask in a shop...are you really due an explanation? on 10:29 - Aug 25 with 1153 viewsBrixtonBlue

Young person, no mask in a shop...are you really due an explanation? on 09:20 - Aug 25 by bluelagos

Like you say, sometimes it's obvious. I think every kid I've seen in a supermarket round here hasn't been wearing a mask. I don't believe they all have breathing problems or anxiety issues, particularly when they're larking about with their mates.

Likewise the chap in his early 30s in running gear and a big sweat patch down his back.

Can't speak for everywhere, but I'd say the majority round here not wearing masks are selfish tw^ts rather than with genuine issues.

I also don't think being forgetful is a valid excuse. Our local CoOp is selling masks for £3. If you forget it, go home again or buy another. The virus won't forget to infect and kill someone.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Young person, no mask in a shop...are you really due an explanation? on 10:30 - Aug 25 with 1140 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Young person, no mask in a shop...are you really due an explanation? on 10:27 - Aug 25 by bluelagos

I see what you did there :-)

So maybe those who have had CV or are vulnerable need a lanyard with "Tutting and headshakeing permitted" due to a predetermined medical condition :-)
[Post edited 25 Aug 2020 10:29]

Young person, no mask in a shop...are you really due an explanation? on 10:33 - Aug 25 with 1131 viewsbluelagos

Young person, no mask in a shop...are you really due an explanation? on 10:29 - Aug 25 by BrixtonBlue

Like you say, sometimes it's obvious. I think every kid I've seen in a supermarket round here hasn't been wearing a mask. I don't believe they all have breathing problems or anxiety issues, particularly when they're larking about with their mates.

Likewise the chap in his early 30s in running gear and a big sweat patch down his back.

Can't speak for everywhere, but I'd say the majority round here not wearing masks are selfish tw^ts rather than with genuine issues.

I also don't think being forgetful is a valid excuse. Our local CoOp is selling masks for £3. If you forget it, go home again or buy another. The virus won't forget to infect and kill someone.

I don't doubt many people are taking the p*ss. But I do feel for those who are not.

Young person, no mask in a shop...are you really due an explanation? on 10:36 - Aug 25 with 1125 viewsPinewoodblue

An American friend who puts on a musical festival away from his home town rents property for several months. His festival was postponed in May and has just been postponed again from October.

He had to extended his lease this year and the landlord wrote in an additional clause forbidding him from arassing people in the lifts not wearing masks. He deleted it but the landlord stilled signed it.

It is those who don’t wear a mask properly that annoy me, those who have it around their chin, or under the nose.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Young person, no mask in a shop...are you really due an explanation? on 10:53 - Aug 25 with 1104 viewsDebsyAngel

I tried to wear a mask but due to my anxiety and panic and asthma, I just can't. I do have one of the sunflower lanyards and an exemption card for the bus. I find the shops in town have been nothing but kind and understanding to me, now they have been educated what they stand for. I only tend to go to the same few shops anyhow and just once a week, so know most of the staff in them well. I keep my distance from others best I can and constantly use hand gel. Clean all my shopping once home as well.

I have had abuse off one old woman in Superdrug, and I burst into tears and had a panic attack in the shop about 6 weeks back. The staff were nice to me, but once home, I wanted to end it all.

I need to get up that town once a week, or will become a hermit and my mental health is already permanently ruined thanks to this pandemic.

Some people have forgotten to be kind and I find that sad.
Young person, no mask in a shop...are you really due an explanation? on 12:56 - Aug 25 with 1004 viewsRyorry

Young person, no mask in a shop...are you really due an explanation? on 10:53 - Aug 25 by DebsyAngel

I tried to wear a mask but due to my anxiety and panic and asthma, I just can't. I do have one of the sunflower lanyards and an exemption card for the bus. I find the shops in town have been nothing but kind and understanding to me, now they have been educated what they stand for. I only tend to go to the same few shops anyhow and just once a week, so know most of the staff in them well. I keep my distance from others best I can and constantly use hand gel. Clean all my shopping once home as well.

I have had abuse off one old woman in Superdrug, and I burst into tears and had a panic attack in the shop about 6 weeks back. The staff were nice to me, but once home, I wanted to end it all.

I need to get up that town once a week, or will become a hermit and my mental health is already permanently ruined thanks to this pandemic.

Some people have forgotten to be kind and I find that sad.

Please talk about this further with your GP, family and friends Debsy x

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Young person, no mask in a shop...are you really due an explanation? on 13:12 - Aug 25 with 978 viewsDebsyAngel

Young person, no mask in a shop...are you really due an explanation? on 12:56 - Aug 25 by Ryorry

Please talk about this further with your GP, family and friends Debsy x

I have done - GPs I have found to be useless. Only options are pills that I cannot take due to an eye condition that could lead to glaucoma if I take them, or counselling. I do have my husband and parents and a great set on mates on Facebook, and most people on here are lovely too, so at least I have people to talk to. Thanks x
Young person, no mask in a shop...are you really due an explanation? on 13:15 - Aug 25 with 947 viewsvapour_trail

Young person, no mask in a shop...are you really due an explanation? on 09:07 - Aug 25 by bluelagos

Not sure why someone with a medical condition should have to repeatedly show exemption proof to a series of busy bodies who might be better off minding their own fcking business.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Young person, no mask in a shop...are you really due an explanation? on 13:16 - Aug 25 with 944 viewsRyorry

Young person, no mask in a shop...are you really due an explanation? on 13:12 - Aug 25 by DebsyAngel

I have done - GPs I have found to be useless. Only options are pills that I cannot take due to an eye condition that could lead to glaucoma if I take them, or counselling. I do have my husband and parents and a great set on mates on Facebook, and most people on here are lovely too, so at least I have people to talk to. Thanks x

I'm often on here at ridiculous times of night if you feel like a chat while others snore :)

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Young person, no mask in a shop...are you really due an explanation? on 13:24 - Aug 25 with 921 viewsBrixtonBlue

Young person, no mask in a shop...are you really due an explanation? on 13:12 - Aug 25 by DebsyAngel

Sounds like you do need some counselling to me. You shouldn't be crying or getting suicidal thoughts because some ignorant twonk in Superdrug has a pop at you.

I find your posts quite difficult to read to be honest, as it really does sound like you need some help. I'd recommend my CBT therapist but I've no idea if she still practices, or if you'd be able to get to her. I definitely think you should do some research on therapists in your area.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024