Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Only me? 22:01 - Sep 8 with 3600 viewsfatronaldo

Who thinks we're starting to look like a good side?

Sure there is still work to be done, but I havent seen this kind of movement and chance creating set ups in many years from a town team.

I know that the opposition hasnt been overwhelming. But coming from so many years without any creative intent, I'll take that any day of the week. Never mind the loss, I'm finally starting to enjoy watching us play again!
Only me? on 22:05 - Sep 8 with 3131 viewsdavblue

Good to hear a few things along the lines of this.

I’ve not watched us this season yet was away at the weekend and watched Ozark instead tonight but hoping we can play well on Sunday.
Only me? on 22:26 - Sep 8 with 3035 viewsTerry_Nutkins

It doesn't matter how many times people say it's going to take time and mistakes are going to be made moving to this passing style as soon as we lose one game (even if a really low priority one) it's meltdown.

It's just draining.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

Only me? on 22:29 - Sep 8 with 3011 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

I agree, nothing will be fixed in 2 games or 4 week pre season, but sticking to this over a long period of time be beneficial for us no doubt.

Let’s not forget we had good chances to win comfortable tonight, including 3x woodwork.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

We've lost 35 games..... on 22:29 - Sep 8 with 3003 viewsBloots

Only me? on 22:26 - Sep 8 by Terry_Nutkins

It doesn't matter how many times people say it's going to take time and mistakes are going to be made moving to this passing style as soon as we lose one game (even if a really low priority one) it's meltdown.

It's just draining.

...trying to develop "this passing style".

Not one.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Only me? on 22:30 - Sep 8 with 3020 viewsGavTWTD

I enjoyed the match against Bristol Rovers. Lots of forward passing. Tonight I thought we played well mostly, 2 shots hit the woodwork and another off the line. We could have won handsomely, but I'm not concerned that we didn't. Loving Dozzell's passing. Arsenal had a good 20 mins.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Only me? on 22:32 - Sep 8 with 2986 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Only me? on 22:30 - Sep 8 by GavTWTD

I enjoyed the match against Bristol Rovers. Lots of forward passing. Tonight I thought we played well mostly, 2 shots hit the woodwork and another off the line. We could have won handsomely, but I'm not concerned that we didn't. Loving Dozzell's passing. Arsenal had a good 20 mins.

Games like that come and go where it just doesn’t go in, as stated, another day you score 5 and everything is handsome.

Enjoying watching Andre, but without wanting to bang the drum on it, would prefer him a little further forward with a bit more defensive cushion/nouse in there in front of the back 4 (Skuse or Downes).

Only me? on 22:37 - Sep 8 with 2953 viewsGarv

Only me? on 22:32 - Sep 8 by TheTrueBlue1878

Games like that come and go where it just doesn’t go in, as stated, another day you score 5 and everything is handsome.

Enjoying watching Andre, but without wanting to bang the drum on it, would prefer him a little further forward with a bit more defensive cushion/nouse in there in front of the back 4 (Skuse or Downes).

If we hadn't made so many chances I might be more downbeat but by the sounds of it as you say we might have won the game quite easily.

Quite often lately we've let games pass us by without having a real go and actually looking like scoring. Creating more chances is a positive.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Only me? on 22:40 - Sep 8 with 2917 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Only me? on 22:37 - Sep 8 by Garv

If we hadn't made so many chances I might be more downbeat but by the sounds of it as you say we might have won the game quite easily.

Quite often lately we've let games pass us by without having a real go and actually looking like scoring. Creating more chances is a positive.

Yeah, different game, we do win that comfortably.

I don’t think we were as good as BR, no. Somewhat a little bit more lacklustre, lacked a bit of that intensity and snap in the performance from Saturday, but when you add the context of the fixture, there is no surprise or concern on that front from me.

I’m sure we will be bang up for it, Sunday, first league game, live on Sky, will have a whole different feel.

We stuck to our principles again, trying to play the right way, created chances, and truth be told we never really got out of 2nd gear tonight.

Login to get fewer ads

Only me? on 22:41 - Sep 8 with 2914 viewshaynes_toe1

This feels incredibly premature.

I tried telling people last season after our first game against Burton that they were getting carried away and I got abuse. We just lost to a load of kids, most of whom won't get a professional contract.
Only me? on 22:46 - Sep 8 with 2870 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Only me? on 22:41 - Sep 8 by haynes_toe1

I tried telling people last season after our first game against Burton that they were getting carried away and I got abuse. We just lost to a load of kids, most of whom won't get a professional contract.

The OP second sentence literally starts with “there is work to be done”

Has anyone suggested we are a finished article? Nowhere near.

But at least he is trying to build an identity that is a good brand of football. Have some patience, no one has proclaimed we are Barcelona, but at least we are trying to play a better style of football.
[Post edited 8 Sep 2020 22:46]

Only me? on 22:54 - Sep 8 with 2836 viewsradiogaga

Agreed. A fair portion of the people moaning tonight were no doubt critical of Lambert's chop and change mentality last season too. Saturday and spells of tonight show we are focusing at keeping the ball much better and focusing much more on movement off the ball etc. We need to keep working at it and with the players we have, it will come if we do that and more often than not it will work. Even tonight there were positive signs - 2 bad sequences of defending cost us tonight, rather than the way we played over the 90 minutes. Binning it all because of one defeat is not the answer.
[Post edited 8 Sep 2020 22:57]

Poll: How many points will Town need to make the off-plays?
Blog: Expectations of Paul Lambert's Ipswich

Only me? on 22:59 - Sep 8 with 2809 viewshaynes_toe1

Only me? on 22:46 - Sep 8 by TheTrueBlue1878

The OP second sentence literally starts with “there is work to be done”

Has anyone suggested we are a finished article? Nowhere near.

But at least he is trying to build an identity that is a good brand of football. Have some patience, no one has proclaimed we are Barcelona, but at least we are trying to play a better style of football.
[Post edited 8 Sep 2020 22:46]

But this good brand of football is exactly what I was told at the start of last season. It wasn't true then and I'm not sure a couple of passages of play in 180 minutes of football means it's true now.
Only me? on 00:10 - Sep 9 with 2679 viewsRocky

Only me? on 22:59 - Sep 8 by haynes_toe1

But this good brand of football is exactly what I was told at the start of last season. It wasn't true then and I'm not sure a couple of passages of play in 180 minutes of football means it's true now.

It's still not as bad as losing 12 games in a row, budgie boy.
Only me? on 00:40 - Sep 9 with 2630 viewspointofblue

Only me? on 00:10 - Sep 9 by Rocky

It's still not as bad as losing 12 games in a row, budgie boy.

Not sure we can throw that at them now. At least they lost to the full Premier League sides; we can't even overcome the youths.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Only me? on 00:53 - Sep 9 with 2615 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Only me? on 22:59 - Sep 8 by haynes_toe1

It won’t happen overnight, I think it’s positive that we are seeing Lambert trying to implement a better style of football.

If you aren’t, then that’s your opinion.

Only me? on 02:16 - Sep 9 with 2571 viewsharlingblue

I agree with you! A very refreshing team performance against Bristol Rovers, and a great result. A very similar team put out against Arsenal U21, Drinan having hit the woodwork early on, and then Nolan giving us the lead, until the last minute of the first half, then a corner kick, unfairly taken (outside of the quadrant) forced an equaliser. Arsenal U21 pushed forward more during the second half, and grabbed what proved to be the winning goal, but Town could still have won, Huws hitting the crossbar, and Nolan missing a wonderful chance that was cleared off the line. We are having to watch at home at the moment, but it is much better faire and with more flair than what we had to watch last year. My opinion, after two games: keep Drinan as your front runner (a young Murphy), have Sears closer to him, wing backs and Dozzell to supply. By the way, what has happen to Danny Rowe?
Only me? on 06:42 - Sep 9 with 2424 viewsChrisd

It's just draining.

PL has to stand by his convictions, regardless of the moaning by some. Saturday was pleasing, last night wasn't great but the amount of chances we created shouldn't be overlooked, more than enough to win two or three games, if we'd been more clinical! We aren't going to play well every game and it is very much work in progress, but there are still some encouraging signs which we can hang our hats on.
[Post edited 9 Sep 2020 6:50]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Only me? on 07:00 - Sep 9 with 2377 viewsgordon

It's just draining.

Paul Lambert's whole strategy thus far has been based on not giving any line-up, formation or style more than about 45 minutes before moving to the next one, and to appear to have literally no idea how to set a team up.

If you find the fans draining, how do you cope with PL?
Only me? on 07:06 - Sep 9 with 2365 viewsgordon

Only me? on 22:54 - Sep 8 by radiogaga

Agreed. A fair portion of the people moaning tonight were no doubt critical of Lambert's chop and change mentality last season too. Saturday and spells of tonight show we are focusing at keeping the ball much better and focusing much more on movement off the ball etc. We need to keep working at it and with the players we have, it will come if we do that and more often than not it will work. Even tonight there were positive signs - 2 bad sequences of defending cost us tonight, rather than the way we played over the 90 minutes. Binning it all because of one defeat is not the answer.
[Post edited 8 Sep 2020 22:57]

I don't understand the logic to these posts - it will be Lambert that bins it, because he doesn't have the tactical nous to fine tune an approach, to figure out what's going wrong and what's going right etc. If fans have found that approach frustrating, that's fair enough as far as I can see.

On the other hand, if after ten games we're playing well with a settled system, then I would agree that PL may have turned a corner.
Only me? on 07:13 - Sep 9 with 2345 viewsChrisd

Only me? on 07:00 - Sep 9 by gordon

Paul Lambert's whole strategy thus far has been based on not giving any line-up, formation or style more than about 45 minutes before moving to the next one, and to appear to have literally no idea how to set a team up.

If you find the fans draining, how do you cope with PL?

Not this season it isn't. We all need to draw a line under the last campaign and move on, otherwise we just aren't going to progress as we keep harping on about past failures. At least PL has shown that he has learnt from some mistakes by sticking with a formation and having consistency with selection. That's two things the majority of us were complaining about and now that's wrong?!

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Only me? on 07:51 - Sep 9 with 2262 viewsfatronaldo

Only me? on 22:41 - Sep 8 by haynes_toe1

The main difference for me compared to last season so far (even though it is still early) is I never thought we looked composed back then, even when we were winning games. No, creativity, no flair, no real game plan, no controlling games and lots of pointless hoofing and individual errors.

To be honest we had a lucky streak and won a lot of games in the last minutes often more due to luck than actual skill. That made us look a far more better team than we were, which showed in the second half of the season.

I'm not saying we are there yet, but fingers crossed, hoping we finally are on the right track..
Only me? on 08:11 - Sep 9 with 2204 viewsgordon

Only me? on 07:13 - Sep 9 by Chrisd

Not this season it isn't. We all need to draw a line under the last campaign and move on, otherwise we just aren't going to progress as we keep harping on about past failures. At least PL has shown that he has learnt from some mistakes by sticking with a formation and having consistency with selection. That's two things the majority of us were complaining about and now that's wrong?!

The issue we will have this season will be exactly the same as last season, which is that if and when we have a couple of bad results, will PL know how to resolve it?

Last season his approach was to change the lineup and formation on a weekly basis to see if he could happen on something that worked by chance. This season he's basically been told that he can't change the formation, and must stop the crazy changes in team selection.

So what will he do after a couple of bad results, and will it work? We just don't know yet, as far as I can see.
Only me? on 08:17 - Sep 9 with 2185 viewsHerbivore

Only me? on 07:13 - Sep 9 by Chrisd

We've played two cup games. This season hasn't even really started yet. It's far too early to claim he's learnt from his mistakes or that we're going to stick to anything. Let's see where things are after 10 games or so.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Only me? on 08:27 - Sep 9 with 2150 viewsitfcjoe

Don't disagree, but the problem is by being 12 months late there is a lot less rope for him to work with

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Only me? on 08:34 - Sep 9 with 2119 viewshaynes_toe1

Only me? on 07:51 - Sep 9 by fatronaldo

The main difference for me compared to last season so far (even though it is still early) is I never thought we looked composed back then, even when we were winning games. No, creativity, no flair, no real game plan, no controlling games and lots of pointless hoofing and individual errors.

To be honest we had a lucky streak and won a lot of games in the last minutes often more due to luck than actual skill. That made us look a far more better team than we were, which showed in the second half of the season.

I'm not saying we are there yet, but fingers crossed, hoping we finally are on the right track..

That's fair, and hands up I didn't watch the Rovers game so people who have are likely to be a better judge than me
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024