Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lambert interview in the EADT 08:24 - Sep 10 with 17005 viewsitfcjoe

A few big bits to pull out from it - but they are obvious so will leave you guys to have a full read to give a better picture!

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/lambert-on-tough-love-approach-1-6830689

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Lambert interview in the EADT on 12:44 - Sep 10 with 3575 viewscatch74

Not sure how I missed this, apologies for the duplicate.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Lambert interview in the EADT on 13:09 - Sep 10 with 3537 viewsHerbivore

Lambert interview in the EADT on 11:49 - Sep 10 by BrixtonBlue

We'll see if they're just words. He clearly has some knowledge or he wouldn't be able to talk with authority like that. It reads as more than just words to appease fans.

Let's be honest, whatever he said in that interview you'd criticise it.
Maybe I'm just more of an optimist.

If Lambert had 'just let Jackson go' what would he have used to buy a replacement? Jackson was what, just shy of £2m? If Lambert had let him go, by not renewing his contract, do you think Evans would have happily handed over another £2m for him to get a striker more suited to the central role?

You play the hand that's dealt to you, and hang onto anything half decent in a better the devil you know way. It doesn't mean it's the ideal hand you want.

None of this absolves Lambert from blame for last season. That's a different point.

I'm not criticising what he's said, I'm simply saying it doesn't really matter what he says. What matters is that he massively ups his game from 2 years of dross and gets us playing well and competing for promotion. If he can do that then great, but I'm not going to give him credit for simply saying he's going to do a better job.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Lambert interview in the EADT on 13:23 - Sep 10 with 3517 viewsEl_Fenix

In a worst-case scenario, this could be an example of "The beatings will continue until morale improves ..."

However - if lessons have been learned, improvements will result. My residual concerns are that Lambert is not good at making mid-season adjustments and is worse at making mid-game adjustments. But perhaps that will change too ...

Lets travel hopefully.

COYB!
[Post edited 10 Sep 2020 13:24]

ITFC shall rise like a phoenix from the ashes of its long decline!

Lambert interview in the EADT on 13:27 - Sep 10 with 3503 viewsgordon

Lambert interview in the EADT on 13:23 - Sep 10 by El_Fenix

In a worst-case scenario, this could be an example of "The beatings will continue until morale improves ..."

However - if lessons have been learned, improvements will result. My residual concerns are that Lambert is not good at making mid-season adjustments and is worse at making mid-game adjustments. But perhaps that will change too ...

Lets travel hopefully.

COYB!
[Post edited 10 Sep 2020 13:24]

Yes, my biggest concern about Lambert is that when things go right he doesn't know why they go right, and when things go wrong, he doesn't know why they go wrong.
Lambert interview in the EADT on 13:43 - Sep 10 with 3481 viewsPassionNotAnger

Lambert interview in the EADT on 11:56 - Sep 10 by BrixtonBlue

Well he hasn't been sacked and isn't ignoring the mistakes, so I guess that puts Lambert heading towards 'average' at the moment?

If you want to choose that rating that's entirely your choice..

So you're supportive of an, at very best, average manager who had one of the highest budgets in the division & failed not only to get auto spots but actually miss out, by some margin, the play-offs, but it's ok because brought some fans a pint and gave a nice interview saying he's learned from the mistakes that most people who watch football noted and commented on after a few games.

So what do you think a realistic finishing positioning is for an average manager in League 1 this season?
Lambert interview in the EADT on 13:58 - Sep 10 with 3457 viewsitfcjoe

Lambert interview in the EADT on 11:08 - Sep 10 by PassionNotAnger

All managers make mistakes

A terrible manager doesn't acknowledge he made them until they're sacked
A bad manager will blame others for them and ignore it
An average manager might reflect at the end of a season and put it right next season
A good manager might realise his mistakes during a season and take appropriate action to try and recover the season
A great manager looks for mistakes after every game and learns/corrects for the next match

Interesting to see how many different views there are of where Lambert might sit on that scale

It's not down to the manager here though - he should have been sacked by Evans which would have made him a terrible manager as wasn't acknowledgin them

At best he becomes an average manager, that's what we all hope for and then kicks on from there

Lambert interview in the EADT on 14:22 - Sep 10 with 3411 viewsPassionNotAnger

Lambert interview in the EADT on 13:43 - Sep 10 by PassionNotAnger

So you're supportive of an, at very best, average manager who had one of the highest budgets in the division & failed not only to get auto spots but actually miss out, by some margin, the play-offs, but it's ok because brought some fans a pint and gave a nice interview saying he's learned from the mistakes that most people who watch football noted and commented on after a few games.

So what do you think a realistic finishing positioning is for an average manager in League 1 this season?

Just a downvote then, take it that means for once you haven’t got an argument??
Lambert interview in the EADT on 14:27 - Sep 10 with 3405 viewsBrixtonBlue

Lambert interview in the EADT on 14:22 - Sep 10 by PassionNotAnger

Just a downvote then, take it that means for once you haven’t got an argument??

No, I'm just not interested in engaging with you. You're the one looking for an argument.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Login to get fewer ads

Lambert interview in the EADT on 14:32 - Sep 10 with 3400 viewsPassionNotAnger

Lambert interview in the EADT on 14:27 - Sep 10 by BrixtonBlue

No, I'm just not interested in engaging with you. You're the one looking for an argument.

Oh ok, just find it odd that you rate the manager as average but don’t like anyone else criticising him.
Lambert interview in the EADT on 14:36 - Sep 10 with 3390 viewsBrixtonBlue

Lambert interview in the EADT on 14:32 - Sep 10 by PassionNotAnger

Oh ok, just find it odd that you rate the manager as average but don’t like anyone else criticising him.

I haven't got a problem with anyone criticising the manager.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Lambert interview in the EADT on 15:10 - Sep 10 with 3364 viewslongtimefan

Lambert interview in the EADT on 13:43 - Sep 10 by PassionNotAnger

“ but it's ok because brought some fans a pint and gave a nice interview saying he's learned from the mistakes that most people who watch football noted and commented on after a few games”

Is your username reversed? That’s sounding a lot more like anger than passion
Lambert interview in the EADT on 15:15 - Sep 10 with 3360 viewsSparky85

He clearly knows this is the year. Succeed or out!
I personally don't mind his approach here. Too many have had it too easy for too long.
But, he HAS to follow through with his statements, especially when it comes to certain players.
Massive year!
Lambert interview in the EADT on 15:16 - Sep 10 with 3360 viewsBlueBadger

Lambert interview in the EADT on 09:39 - Sep 10 by Fixed_It

So basically the 'player unrest' that has been mentioned is mainly them being taken out of their comfort zone. When you look at our performances and finishing position last season, and the promising signs from some of our pre-season performances, that can't be such a bad thing, can it? And if certain players can't hack it, or don't fancy the challenge, I'm not sure they are what we need right now.

Ah yes. The approach that worked so well for Hurst and Keane.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Lambert interview in the EADT on 15:33 - Sep 10 with 3335 viewsFixed_It

Lambert interview in the EADT on 13:27 - Sep 10 by gordon

Yes, my biggest concern about Lambert is that when things go right he doesn't know why they go right, and when things go wrong, he doesn't know why they go wrong.

It's just a hunch, but I reckon Paul Lambert probably knows a lot more about the game than most people who post on here.
That isn't to say that he doesn't make mistakes, because he clearly does, but...

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Lambert interview in the EADT on 15:38 - Sep 10 with 3324 viewsHerbivore

Lambert interview in the EADT on 15:33 - Sep 10 by Fixed_It

It's just a hunch, but I reckon Paul Lambert probably knows a lot more about the game than most people who post on here.
That isn't to say that he doesn't make mistakes, because he clearly does, but...

He played for Dortmund you know.

Lambert interview in the EADT on 15:40 - Sep 10 with 3325 viewsJammyDodgerrr

The comments about the 4-3-3 plan going out of the window are so interesting, it's rare to see a manager talk about it like that. Purely based on Norwood and Jackson's form and then if he has decided that he wants to play that way it's no wonder Jackson wants to leave.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Lambert interview in the EADT on 16:23 - Sep 10 with 3260 viewsHullblue

Of course he does but that doesn’t make him wise.

He said he abandoned our 433 and patient passing football last season because Norwood and Jackson had a good pre-season. That’s abandoning an entire club’s supposed footballing philosophy for two players who weren’t ultimately good or lucky enough to get us anywhere near promotion.

If we’d have stuck with the philosophy but finished 11th at least he’d have a bit more credit in the bank, we’d have learned some lessons about patterns of play or whatever, and Dozzell would presumably have had a lot more game time and be worth a lot more.

As it is, last season was a complete waste. All because although he knows a lot more about football than we do, he lacks the wisdom to stick to his convictions. Now it sounds like Evans has forced him to revert, let’s see how it goes.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

Lambert interview in the EADT on 16:33 - Sep 10 with 3238 viewsHerbivore

Lambert interview in the EADT on 16:23 - Sep 10 by Hullblue

He said he abandoned our 433 and patient passing football last season because Norwood and Jackson had a good pre-season. That’s abandoning an entire club’s supposed footballing philosophy for two players who weren’t ultimately good or lucky enough to get us anywhere near promotion.

If we’d have stuck with the philosophy but finished 11th at least he’d have a bit more credit in the bank, we’d have learned some lessons about patterns of play or whatever, and Dozzell would presumably have had a lot more game time and be worth a lot more.

As it is, last season was a complete waste. All because although he knows a lot more about football than we do, he lacks the wisdom to stick to his convictions. Now it sounds like Evans has forced him to revert, let’s see how it goes.

Norwood also missed a big chunk of games through injury and we still didn't play his preferred 4-3-3. You have to wonder exactly what he was doing for the entirety of last season. He turned his back on his preferred system, tinkered constantly, and failed to develop or build anything. A complete waste of a season. He's incredibly lucky he's still in a job.

Lambert interview in the EADT on 16:47 - Sep 10 with 3223 viewsitfcjoe

Lambert interview in the EADT on 16:23 - Sep 10 by Hullblue

It reminds me of Jewell's 'long term plan' where he signed Sonko, Ingimarsson, Bowyer, Ellington and Bullard, and then short term loan deals for Collins, Andrews etc.

And he subsequently admitted that he just got it totally wrong and thought he could do it on the short term and was given another chance to sort it out.

Hopefully Lambert proves more successful second time round, but Evans allowing a manager who totally failed in their remit a second chance to do so is crazy - hopefully it goes better this time round.

Like then, a big chunk of the fan base were saying what he was doing wrong and were subsequently proved to be correct

Lambert interview in the EADT on 17:35 - Sep 10 with 3176 viewsBlueBadger

All of which makes it doubly concerning that he had to be told by his senior players and clueless owner to stop mucking about with Lambingo.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Lambert interview in the EADT on 17:47 - Sep 10 with 3152 viewsJ2BLUE

Very strange not to give Jackson a chance in a non central front three role. I wouldn't mind selling him if we can use the money to bring in a CB and replacement striker. Probably have to be loans but that isn't a massive issue.

I'm pleased it looks like Sears will be a starter every week though. I think he's our key man and the player I would be most gutted to lose (yes, including Downes).

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Lambert interview in the EADT on 18:12 - Sep 10 with 3118 viewsgordon

Lambert interview in the EADT on 15:15 - Sep 10 by Sparky85

He clearly knows this is the year. Succeed or out!
I personally don't mind his approach here. Too many have had it too easy for too long.
But, he HAS to follow through with his statements, especially when it comes to certain players.
Massive year!

Yes, El Mizouni and McGavin have been coasting for years, about time someone stood up to them.
Lambert interview in the EADT on 18:18 - Sep 10 with 3113 viewsHullblue

Lambert interview in the EADT on 16:47 - Sep 10 by itfcjoe

It reminds me of Jewell's 'long term plan' where he signed Sonko, Ingimarsson, Bowyer, Ellington and Bullard, and then short term loan deals for Collins, Andrews etc.

And he subsequently admitted that he just got it totally wrong and thought he could do it on the short term and was given another chance to sort it out.

Hopefully Lambert proves more successful second time round, but Evans allowing a manager who totally failed in their remit a second chance to do so is crazy - hopefully it goes better this time round.

Like then, a big chunk of the fan base were saying what he was doing wrong and were subsequently proved to be correct

Well that’s the thing - most fans would say attractive passing football and trust in the young players is the way to develop a club. And hopefully most of us know that we couldn’t actually walk into ITFC and implement it ourselves.

But after 13 years of ME, we’ve finally got a manager who sounds like he’s going to commit to it. Not because he wants to, but because the owner is forcing him to.

In the meantime clubs like Southampton and Swansea devised a plan, achieved everything Evans wanted to achieve, THEN got bored of it and messed it up to varying degrees. That’s how long it’s been.

So when fans question what’s happening and people say ‘Oh you don’t know as much as the manager’, it kind of misses the point. Of course PL knows more than me - I never even got close to playing or managing professionally - but I’ve been sat here thinking about this philosophy for over a decade now and watched other clubs succeed with it too. Can we give that a go?

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

Lambert interview in the EADT on 18:21 - Sep 10 with 3101 viewsTrequartista

"Some react positively to criticism and pressure, some don’t like it."

2019/20
Q "A lot of people have looked at this squad and said it was one of the best in the division"
A "Have you been drinking?"

Yes, some don't like it that's for sure.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2020 18:21]

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Lambert interview in the EADT on 19:24 - Sep 10 with 3034 viewsJermynblue

Playing a system in which Jackson is not going to feature is a risk when you consider the number of goals and assists he got last season. You need the rest of the team to compensate for that, which they might well do.If Sears plays most games you would expect him to get a fair number of goals and assists. I suspect the reason that Lambert does not see Jackson as one of the wider front players is that Lambert has been working on movement and set patterns in training and perhaps this is where Jackson struggles with his control. However, despite his weaknesses and not always playing in his preferred system last season, Jackson was effective with his goals and assists. It's a tricky balance, but just feel uneasy at this stage that Jackson is likely to get little game time. It is brave of any club that says to a player than contributed the most goals and assists last season that they really have very little chance of playing next season when no one has been signed that is better. It might be an inspired decision, but it's a risk.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024