Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lambert interview in the EADT 08:24 - Sep 10 with 17003 viewsitfcjoe

A few big bits to pull out from it - but they are obvious so will leave you guys to have a full read to give a better picture!

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/lambert-on-tough-love-approach-1-6830689

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Lambert interview in the EADT on 11:08 - Sep 10 with 4316 viewsPassionNotAnger

Lambert interview in the EADT on 10:59 - Sep 10 by Herbivore

If he sticks to a way of playing and it works and we go back up I will be very happy and will acknowledge that Lambert has done a good job. I will still be massively frustrated that he spent an entire year getting it spectacularly wrong beforehand though. There's no excusing the shambles of last season and it's quite staggering that some fans are willing to let him off the hook. If we are to believe what he says in this interview he knew he was getting it wrong last season but ploughed on regardless. That doesn't fill me with much confidence. I hope this is more than just another handy bit of PR and that he has genuinely learnt from his mistakes, time will tell I guess.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2020 11:02]

All managers make mistakes

A terrible manager doesn't acknowledge he made them until they're sacked
A bad manager will blame others for them and ignore it
An average manager might reflect at the end of a season and put it right next season
A good manager might realise his mistakes during a season and take appropriate action to try and recover the season
A great manager looks for mistakes after every game and learns/corrects for the next match

Interesting to see how many different views there are of where Lambert might sit on that scale
Lambert interview in the EADT on 11:09 - Sep 10 with 4314 viewsHullblue

Lambert interview in the EADT on 09:00 - Sep 10 by itfcjoe

I'm not convinced that it would - maybe Lambert just doesn't see what he wants in a wide striker as he is best working from in to out and his touch etc not always the best

I think if he does go that we need another striker though, even if just a loanee as putting season on Norwood's shoulders is a risk

The only time I’ve seen KJ play there was against Bristol Rovers at home last season and he was brilliant. I know managers see so much more than we do, but KJ just seems to have that ability to pick people out from the byline. Pretty rare to combine that with pace and goals at L1 level.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

He's saying all the right things..... on 11:11 - Sep 10 with 4307 viewsBloots

....as he does 90% of the time.

I guess now that he's literally got no place to hide if it doesn't succeed, which can only be a good thing.

Obviously Evans has kicked his ar*e massively and Shambert has just passed the message downwards, it's classic management whatever the industry you are in.

He'll either succeed and we can all be happy, or he'll leave, blame the owner for interfering, and we can all be happy.

I hope he succeeds.

EDIT: Jackson will be gone within a fortnight.

COYFBs
[Post edited 10 Sep 2020 11:12]

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

He's saying all the right things..... on 11:16 - Sep 10 with 4274 viewsBeckets

He's saying all the right things..... on 11:11 - Sep 10 by Bloots

....as he does 90% of the time.

I guess now that he's literally got no place to hide if it doesn't succeed, which can only be a good thing.

Obviously Evans has kicked his ar*e massively and Shambert has just passed the message downwards, it's classic management whatever the industry you are in.

He'll either succeed and we can all be happy, or he'll leave, blame the owner for interfering, and we can all be happy.

I hope he succeeds.

EDIT: Jackson will be gone within a fortnight.

COYFBs
[Post edited 10 Sep 2020 11:12]

Agree re Jackson. I think one of the purposes of that interview was to lay the ground for the impending sale of Jackson, the proceeds of which will be pocketed by Evans.
Lambert interview in the EADT on 11:19 - Sep 10 with 4263 viewsHerbivore

Lambert interview in the EADT on 11:09 - Sep 10 by Hullblue

The only time I’ve seen KJ play there was against Bristol Rovers at home last season and he was brilliant. I know managers see so much more than we do, but KJ just seems to have that ability to pick people out from the byline. Pretty rare to combine that with pace and goals at L1 level.

He played as a wide forward at Accrington at times, not as much as he played in a two but they occasionally changed it up so it's not like he's never played there.

As others have touched on, if you look at successful modern forward lines where they play three up front the players tend to be quick and mobile. Rashford, Martial and Greenwood at United, Salah and Mane at Liverpool. United aren't trying to play an ageing Juan Mata as a wide forward and with good reason.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Well yes, but.... on 11:20 - Sep 10 with 4263 viewsBloots

He's saying all the right things..... on 11:16 - Sep 10 by Beckets

Agree re Jackson. I think one of the purposes of that interview was to lay the ground for the impending sale of Jackson, the proceeds of which will be pocketed by Evans.

....we wouldn't be paying £1.5m or whatever it is on a player anyway.

It may enable us to add a loanee in, but that will be all I suspect.

One thing you can't really moan about is Evans' investment. He's losing money every year.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Well yes, but.... on 11:21 - Sep 10 with 4252 viewsBeckets

Well yes, but.... on 11:20 - Sep 10 by Bloots

....we wouldn't be paying £1.5m or whatever it is on a player anyway.

It may enable us to add a loanee in, but that will be all I suspect.

One thing you can't really moan about is Evans' investment. He's losing money every year.

I wouldn’t criticise Evans for his investment. His decision making however....
Lambert interview in the EADT on 11:25 - Sep 10 with 4240 viewsSamWhiteUK

"players win games, not systems"

To this day, I have no idea what he meant by this.
Login to get fewer ads

Lambert interview in the EADT on 11:25 - Sep 10 with 4236 viewsHerbivore

Lambert interview in the EADT on 11:25 - Sep 10 by SamWhiteUK

It's all the players' fault, not mine?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Lambert interview in the EADT on 11:48 - Sep 10 with 4203 viewsHullblue

Lambert interview in the EADT on 11:19 - Sep 10 by Herbivore

He played as a wide forward at Accrington at times, not as much as he played in a two but they occasionally changed it up so it's not like he's never played there.

As others have touched on, if you look at successful modern forward lines where they play three up front the players tend to be quick and mobile. Rashford, Martial and Greenwood at United, Salah and Mane at Liverpool. United aren't trying to play an ageing Juan Mata as a wide forward and with good reason.

I think it depends what type of team you are to an extent. We’re trying to be a possession-based team now apparently - and (try not to laugh at this) if you look at the Spain 2010 team one of the front three was usually Iniesta.

These days City often play with a midfielder type like Foden or B Silva on one side of the front three. Then they’ll have Sterling to stretch it on the other side. So if Guardiola was in charge of United I wouldn’t be too surprised to see him use Mata in a front 3. As it is, United are obviously a bit more counter-attacking so it makes sense for them to use their speedy front 3.

That makes Alan Judge our Iniesta/B Silva, and Sears our David Villa/Sterling :) :) :) But the point stands I think.

Having said that, I still wouldn’t let Jackson go. I rate Freddie highly but he’s not going to be able to play every single game this season without getting injured or hitting a rough patch of form. For me Jackson could be just as good in that position while being slightly younger. And in certain games we could play both of them either side of the number 9 too.

Lambert interview in the EADT on 11:49 - Sep 10 with 4202 viewsFixed_It

Lambert interview in the EADT on 11:07 - Sep 10 by gordon

The wide forwards in that formation are really critical to the system working, and they have to be really, really mobile and pacy - think Salah and Mane, Rashford and Martial, Gnabry and Coman etc etc.

If Lambert thinks Judge is better suited than Jackson he hasn't been playing attention to football.

I like the idea of Jackson as a wide forward, and if we are just talking about pace to scare defenders he's your man. But if we are talking about passing combinations, Judge wins hands down when it comes to control etc.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Lambert interview in the EADT on 11:49 - Sep 10 with 4199 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Lambert interview in the EADT on 09:01 - Sep 10 by gordon

Yup, giving Alan Judge and Gwion Edwards game time as wide forwards in the first two games but not seeing Jackson in that role is pretty concerning.

I don't think Jackson is a good enough footballer to be a full time wide forward in a 3. His pace is an asset and he puts in a good ball now and then but I'm not convinced his control, dribbling etc are good enough for that position. I think he could do a job there but it's not quite a round peg in a round hole for me. Sears plays that position better. I think Lankaster is better suited to it as well as is probably Edwards and Judge albeit they play it in a slightly different way (better delivery). Dobra and possibly even El Mizuni could be better long term options as well.

I would like to keep him but he is definitely more suited with someone alongside him. It's a really interesting read.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

Lambert interview in the EADT on 11:49 - Sep 10 with 4200 viewsBrixtonBlue

Lambert interview in the EADT on 10:44 - Sep 10 by Herbivore

It's just words though, Dollers. Lambert's biggest strength has always been his ability to say what the fans want to hear, that's why he's picked up the nickname PR Paul. Sadly he's not been anywhere near as competent when it comes to the football side of things.

If Lambert is happy with those players and chose to offer them a new contract they are his players. You can't really argue they aren't his players just because he didn't sign them initially. He could have let them go and replaced them had he really wanted to. 2 years in this is very much his squad and it's one of the strongest and best paid squads in the league. Can't really blame Hurst for last season's failings, they were entirely on Lambert.

We'll see if they're just words. He clearly has some knowledge or he wouldn't be able to talk with authority like that. It reads as more than just words to appease fans.

Let's be honest, whatever he said in that interview you'd criticise it.
Maybe I'm just more of an optimist.

If Lambert had 'just let Jackson go' what would he have used to buy a replacement? Jackson was what, just shy of £2m? If Lambert had let him go, by not renewing his contract, do you think Evans would have happily handed over another £2m for him to get a striker more suited to the central role?

You play the hand that's dealt to you, and hang onto anything half decent in a better the devil you know way. It doesn't mean it's the ideal hand you want.

None of this absolves Lambert from blame for last season. That's a different point.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Lambert interview in the EADT on 11:51 - Sep 10 with 4193 viewsBrixtonBlue

Lambert interview in the EADT on 10:55 - Sep 10 by gordon

If you won points each time your manager does a nice interview with the local press we'd have stayed up 2 years ago no problem.

No-one suggested you win points for nice interviews.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Lambert interview in the EADT on 11:53 - Sep 10 with 4185 viewsBrixtonBlue

Lambert interview in the EADT on 10:59 - Sep 10 by Herbivore

If he sticks to a way of playing and it works and we go back up I will be very happy and will acknowledge that Lambert has done a good job. I will still be massively frustrated that he spent an entire year getting it spectacularly wrong beforehand though. There's no excusing the shambles of last season and it's quite staggering that some fans are willing to let him off the hook. If we are to believe what he says in this interview he knew he was getting it wrong last season but ploughed on regardless. That doesn't fill me with much confidence. I hope this is more than just another handy bit of PR and that he has genuinely learnt from his mistakes, time will tell I guess.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2020 11:02]

Which fans are willing to let him off the hook?

Lambert interview in the EADT on 11:56 - Sep 10 with 4179 viewsBrixtonBlue

Lambert interview in the EADT on 11:08 - Sep 10 by PassionNotAnger

All managers make mistakes

A terrible manager doesn't acknowledge he made them until they're sacked
A bad manager will blame others for them and ignore it
An average manager might reflect at the end of a season and put it right next season
A good manager might realise his mistakes during a season and take appropriate action to try and recover the season
A great manager looks for mistakes after every game and learns/corrects for the next match

Interesting to see how many different views there are of where Lambert might sit on that scale

Well he hasn't been sacked and isn't ignoring the mistakes, so I guess that puts Lambert heading towards 'average' at the moment?

Lambert interview in the EADT on 11:57 - Sep 10 with 4173 viewspointofblue

Lambert interview in the EADT on 11:56 - Sep 10 by BrixtonBlue

Well he hasn't been sacked and isn't ignoring the mistakes, so I guess that puts Lambert heading towards 'average' at the moment?

Plus he waited until the end of the season to try and rectify them.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Lambert interview in the EADT on 12:03 - Sep 10 with 4163 viewsNewcyBlue

Lambert interview in the EADT on 10:56 - Sep 10 by Fixed_It

And if he sticks to what he says, and it works, will you be prepared to admit that you were wrong? FWIW I will admit I was wrong if he fails to deliver again this season.

Yes. I will happily admit I was wrong if that were to happen.

I still think that a change of manager is inevitable, with a playoff position being salvageable by the new man.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Lambert interview in the EADT on 12:04 - Sep 10 with 4162 viewsSomethingBlue

Lambert interview in the EADT on 11:25 - Sep 10 by SamWhiteUK

Joe Royle once said it and got pelters on here. I actually don't know a single top manager (Klopp, Pep, Nagelsmann, you name it) who wouldn't say it — genuinely.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Lambert interview in the EADT on 12:11 - Sep 10 with 4145 viewsgordon

Lambert interview in the EADT on 11:49 - Sep 10 by Terry_Nutkins

I don't think Jackson is a good enough footballer to be a full time wide forward in a 3. His pace is an asset and he puts in a good ball now and then but I'm not convinced his control, dribbling etc are good enough for that position. I think he could do a job there but it's not quite a round peg in a round hole for me. Sears plays that position better. I think Lankaster is better suited to it as well as is probably Edwards and Judge albeit they play it in a slightly different way (better delivery). Dobra and possibly even El Mizuni could be better long term options as well.

I would like to keep him but he is definitely more suited with someone alongside him. It's a really interesting read.

Lankester and Sears are both really well suited to the position, I'd agree, and Dobra is ideal for it as well - I'm mainly just anti-slow wingers. The days of Darren Currie are over, I'm afraid.

We'll see how it goes, but if we find we're not catching teams on the break much, but also enjoying lots of possession which looks nice but doesn't really go anywhere, then it'd be worth thinking about how much we actually gain from having Judge in the team.
Lambert interview in the EADT on 12:12 - Sep 10 with 4142 viewsNthQldITFC

Lambert interview in the EADT on 12:04 - Sep 10 by SomethingBlue

Joe Royle once said it and got pelters on here. I actually don't know a single top manager (Klopp, Pep, Nagelsmann, you name it) who wouldn't say it — genuinely.

Bielsa might struggle.

Steve McClaren would probably say "Well, uhhh! How you say, playersh zey vin ze matches, not ze shystemsh."

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Lambert interview in the EADT on 12:16 - Sep 10 with 4120 viewsGarv

Lambert interview in the EADT on 09:51 - Sep 10 by Herbivore

Comparing him to Nouble is just bizarre.

Simply making the point that they share some (not all) attributes. But that those attributes aren't necessarily enough.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Lambert interview in the EADT on 12:24 - Sep 10 with 4104 viewsgordon

Lambert interview in the EADT on 11:48 - Sep 10 by Hullblue

I think it depends what type of team you are to an extent. We’re trying to be a possession-based team now apparently - and (try not to laugh at this) if you look at the Spain 2010 team one of the front three was usually Iniesta.

These days City often play with a midfielder type like Foden or B Silva on one side of the front three. Then they’ll have Sterling to stretch it on the other side. So if Guardiola was in charge of United I wouldn’t be too surprised to see him use Mata in a front 3. As it is, United are obviously a bit more counter-attacking so it makes sense for them to use their speedy front 3.

That makes Alan Judge our Iniesta/B Silva, and Sears our David Villa/Sterling :) :) :) But the point stands I think.

Having said that, I still wouldn’t let Jackson go. I rate Freddie highly but he’s not going to be able to play every single game this season without getting injured or hitting a rough patch of form. For me Jackson could be just as good in that position while being slightly younger. And in certain games we could play both of them either side of the number 9 too.

I get the point, but I think football has moved on a bit since then - that Spain team played like that for the knock-out matches, and found they had masses of possession but found it really difficult to break teams down, and it was really their defence that won them that world cup - they won every knock-out game 1-0. I'm not sure that we want to be relying on our defence to get clean-sheets!

In Man City's case it's a 4-2-3-1 - and the reason Bernardo Silva is selected is because he has an incredible work-rate which enables De Bruyne to have more freedom in a 10 role - in our line-up, no-one plays in that 10 role, our 3 midfielders are much deeper.
Lambert interview in the EADT on 12:36 - Sep 10 with 4072 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Lambert interview in the EADT on 08:42 - Sep 10 by Hackneyblueboy

Interesting to hear his comments re Jackson and Norwood. I struggle to see where Jackson is going to fit this year and he isn't well suited to the lone man striker. Shame as I think if he ends up leaving he could be one that comes back to bite us. His pace in this league is a massive asset and I'm still not convinced Norwood wants to be here.

Think Jackson would do well elsewhere. I do believe that you should have players to fit your system and not the other way around.

And if he doesn’t fit the system Lambert wants to implement then I don’t really have an issue with him leaving.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Lambert interview in the EADT on 12:42 - Sep 10 with 4059 viewsHullblue

Lambert interview in the EADT on 12:24 - Sep 10 by gordon

I get the point, but I think football has moved on a bit since then - that Spain team played like that for the knock-out matches, and found they had masses of possession but found it really difficult to break teams down, and it was really their defence that won them that world cup - they won every knock-out game 1-0. I'm not sure that we want to be relying on our defence to get clean-sheets!

In Man City's case it's a 4-2-3-1 - and the reason Bernardo Silva is selected is because he has an incredible work-rate which enables De Bruyne to have more freedom in a 10 role - in our line-up, no-one plays in that 10 role, our 3 midfielders are much deeper.

Loving this nuanced tactical response Gordon! Yeah both good points, although I think City played Silva or Foden wide in a 433 at times last season too. Like you said above in your response to Terry, we might need to play it by ear a bit - if we look stodgy with Judge out there it would be great to be able to swap him with someone a bit more dynamic. Partly why selling Jackson would be crazy, imo.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024