Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lambert interview in the EADT 08:24 - Sep 10 with 17004 viewsitfcjoe

A few big bits to pull out from it - but they are obvious so will leave you guys to have a full read to give a better picture!

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/lambert-on-tough-love-approach-1-6830689

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Lambert interview in the EADT on 09:28 - Sep 10 with 2708 viewsBrixtonBlue

Lambert interview in the EADT on 08:25 - Sep 10 by Kieran_Knows

Had a read this morning. I don't buy the whole 'we needed a goalscorer in the Championship' thing. We played some relatively good football from October-January, signed Quaner and then all tactics went out the window after that.

I was actually thinking at the time, if we get a goalscorer in January we'll stay up. Unfortunately we didn't.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Lambert interview in the EADT on 09:30 - Sep 10 with 2705 viewslazyblue

Like what he had to say and personally glad both Jackson and Norwood need to fight for place in the team as we need to see some genuine fight this season from the players , if Jackson goes not worried.
Lambert interview in the EADT on 09:31 - Sep 10 with 2699 viewsHerbivore

Lambert interview in the EADT on 09:13 - Sep 10 by SomethingBlue

We would, because while I think a fit Norwood over a season could be just about enough the other options are a massive step down. It's a tough one. Think Jackson needs to stay tbh.

Thing is what is Jackson staying for? If Norwood does get injured is Jackson a better option as a number 9 than Hawkins? I'm not sure, he likes to drift wide and his hold up play isn't great. Lambert seems pretty adamant he sees him as a central striker but I just can't see Jackson centrally working in this system. I doubt he's going to be content to stay as an option off the bench. Personally I'd be looking to play him on the right of a front three but it seems Lambert doesn't see him playing there.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Lambert interview in the EADT on 09:39 - Sep 10 with 2686 viewsFixed_It

So basically the 'player unrest' that has been mentioned is mainly them being taken out of their comfort zone. When you look at our performances and finishing position last season, and the promising signs from some of our pre-season performances, that can't be such a bad thing, can it? And if certain players can't hack it, or don't fancy the challenge, I'm not sure they are what we need right now.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Lambert interview in the EADT on 09:39 - Sep 10 with 2678 viewsBrixtonBlue

Excellent interview, cheers for posting Joe. Very encouraging I'd say, and hopefully will dispel the myth in some that Lambert is a fraud who doesn't know what he's doing. He clearly knows what's needed but lost his way last season by trying to fit Jackson in, who he obviously didn't sign and wouldn't have done if it was down to him. This is what I've been saying - yes Lambert's made mistakes (he's admitting them here) but we are still suffering from the fallout of Hurst's feck up.

I'll probably get pelters but I'm fairly optimistic after reading that. I'm wondering if a talented loan striker on the fringes of a Prem team might be the best option now, as a replacement for Jackson.

Encouraging, as well, the mention of Dozzell. I'd give him a run... even if he does go missing. He'll only learn by playing regularly but for me he's the ace up our sleeve. He can spot and hit passes no-one else can see. We need to use him properly and regularly.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Lambert interview in the EADT on 09:44 - Sep 10 with 2664 viewsHarry_Palmer

Lambert interview in the EADT on 08:54 - Sep 10 by Herbivore

Yeah, there's just no way he's a number 9 in this system. It's a bit worrying that Lambert can't see his potential as a wide forward but not necessarily much of a surprise. We'd be better off cashing in if there's a decent offer on the table but I suspect it'll be one that comes back to haunt us.

Quite. It's odd that he can't see Jackson wide right in this system. He has the pace and energy to get up and down the pitch and would weigh in with goals and assists. Most of his assists last season came from exactly that wide right position.

For me he would be a far more potent weapon in that position than the one paced Judge, but as you say not a great surprise that Lambert can't see this.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2020 9:50]
Lambert interview in the EADT on 09:45 - Sep 10 with 2660 viewsHerbivore

Lambert interview in the EADT on 09:39 - Sep 10 by BrixtonBlue

Excellent interview, cheers for posting Joe. Very encouraging I'd say, and hopefully will dispel the myth in some that Lambert is a fraud who doesn't know what he's doing. He clearly knows what's needed but lost his way last season by trying to fit Jackson in, who he obviously didn't sign and wouldn't have done if it was down to him. This is what I've been saying - yes Lambert's made mistakes (he's admitting them here) but we are still suffering from the fallout of Hurst's feck up.

I'll probably get pelters but I'm fairly optimistic after reading that. I'm wondering if a talented loan striker on the fringes of a Prem team might be the best option now, as a replacement for Jackson.

Encouraging, as well, the mention of Dozzell. I'd give him a run... even if he does go missing. He'll only learn by playing regularly but for me he's the ace up our sleeve. He can spot and hit passes no-one else can see. We need to use him properly and regularly.

I'm not sure one interview dispels the idea that he's a fraud that doesn't know what he's doing. That's still my view of him despite this interview. And I'm not sure how long you can carry on pinning it on Hurst, Lambert signed or gave new deals to the vast majority of the current squad.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2020 9:46]

Lambert interview in the EADT on 09:46 - Sep 10 with 2653 viewsWeekender

Lambert interview in the EADT on 08:50 - Sep 10 by itfcjoe

Yep, Stu Watson mentioned on the podcast today that PL just doesn't see him as a wide striker at all - so it is as a 9 in this formation or as a super sub I guess.

A shame but we may as well cash in if that is the case

Its seems a shame PL cant see Jackson in this role.

It reminds me to a degree of how Joe Royle played Kuqi, Bent and Currie. Notionally we were 442 but often it looked like 433. Kuqi would be the focal point, Bent would drift out to the right with the right sided midfielder (Miller?) tucking in and Currie would push up on the left. Would have thought Jackson could play the Bent role in that type of set up.

Poll: What's your HONEST opinion of nodge fans?
Blog: [Blog] The Curse of the Modern Football Fan.

Login to get fewer ads

Lambert interview in the EADT on 09:47 - Sep 10 with 2654 viewsSomethingBlue

Lambert interview in the EADT on 09:31 - Sep 10 by Herbivore

Thing is what is Jackson staying for? If Norwood does get injured is Jackson a better option as a number 9 than Hawkins? I'm not sure, he likes to drift wide and his hold up play isn't great. Lambert seems pretty adamant he sees him as a central striker but I just can't see Jackson centrally working in this system. I doubt he's going to be content to stay as an option off the bench. Personally I'd be looking to play him on the right of a front three but it seems Lambert doesn't see him playing there.

I'd like Jackson to start wide too, but I do understand the logic that he's best as the on-the-shoulder striker pair. As Joe says, we'd need a really good replacement because who is getting 10+ goals in this team? Norwood if fit, sure. Sears if fit, I would expect. Early evidence suggests Nolan will get into positions in this system. But I wouldn't hang my hat on many others.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Lambert interview in the EADT on 09:49 - Sep 10 with 2645 viewsGarv

Lambert interview in the EADT on 09:44 - Sep 10 by Harry_Palmer

Quite. It's odd that he can't see Jackson wide right in this system. He has the pace and energy to get up and down the pitch and would weigh in with goals and assists. Most of his assists last season came from exactly that wide right position.

For me he would be a far more potent weapon in that position than the one paced Judge, but as you say not a great surprise that Lambert can't see this.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2020 9:50]

Pace and energy yes. Frank Nouble had pace and energy.

Technical ability on the ball however, keeping possession and building attacks, first touch, dribbling? I suspect those are the things that Jackson lacks somewhat that means he might not play in that position.

Either way I hope we keep him because inevitably we won't play 4-3-3 all season and he'll be an asset, and I'm sure at times he would have to play wide in that formation.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Lambert interview in the EADT on 09:50 - Sep 10 with 2632 viewsHerbivore

Lambert interview in the EADT on 09:47 - Sep 10 by SomethingBlue

I'd like Jackson to start wide too, but I do understand the logic that he's best as the on-the-shoulder striker pair. As Joe says, we'd need a really good replacement because who is getting 10+ goals in this team? Norwood if fit, sure. Sears if fit, I would expect. Early evidence suggests Nolan will get into positions in this system. But I wouldn't hang my hat on many others.

Which begs the question why the manager isn't trying to get Jackson into the team given he contributed to 18 goals last season. Lambert seems to be making it clear that he doesn't see Jackson as a wide forward so I'm really not sure how we accommodate him without moving away from the 4-3-3. I can't see the likes of Judge and Edwards weighing in with enough goals to justify playing as a wide forward. If Judge plays I'd rather it's ahead of two sitters in the midfield three, although I probably wouldn't have him in my preferred XI.

Lambert interview in the EADT on 09:51 - Sep 10 with 2627 viewsHerbivore

Lambert interview in the EADT on 09:49 - Sep 10 by Garv

Technical ability on the ball however, keeping possession and building attacks, first touch, dribbling? I suspect those are the things that Jackson lacks somewhat that means he might not play in that position.

Either way I hope we keep him because inevitably we won't play 4-3-3 all season and he'll be an asset, and I'm sure at times he would have to play wide in that formation.

Comparing him to Nouble is just bizarre.

Lambert interview in the EADT on 09:55 - Sep 10 with 2616 viewsHarry_Palmer

Lambert interview in the EADT on 09:49 - Sep 10 by Garv

No doubt he does lack the attributes you describe but of course if he didn't he would be playing much higher than league One. This is where coaching comes in imho, get him to focus on keeping things simple when in deeper areas and use his pace to full effect when in the final third.
Lambert interview in the EADT on 09:56 - Sep 10 with 2612 viewsPinewoodblue

First impression was that Lambert has been on the receiving end of his own summer of love, hope I’m right.

Some concern that Lambert doesn’t feel he can turn Jackson into a goal scoring wide attacker.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Lambert interview in the EADT on 09:57 - Sep 10 with 2595 viewsSomethingBlue

Lambert interview in the EADT on 09:50 - Sep 10 by Herbivore

Which begs the question why the manager isn't trying to get Jackson into the team given he contributed to 18 goals last season. Lambert seems to be making it clear that he doesn't see Jackson as a wide forward so I'm really not sure how we accommodate him without moving away from the 4-3-3. I can't see the likes of Judge and Edwards weighing in with enough goals to justify playing as a wide forward. If Judge plays I'd rather it's ahead of two sitters in the midfield three, although I probably wouldn't have him in my preferred XI.

Presumably PL doesn't like him enough out there from an off the ball/combinations perspective (or one of the two). But would be good to give it a try and I think we need to really.

Saturday suggested Judge *may* yet have some use in this formation as long as the movement around him is good, which it was.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2020 9:58]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Lambert interview in the EADT on 10:24 - Sep 10 with 2534 viewsBrixtonBlue

Lambert interview in the EADT on 09:45 - Sep 10 by Herbivore

I'm not sure one interview dispels the idea that he's a fraud that doesn't know what he's doing. That's still my view of him despite this interview. And I'm not sure how long you can carry on pinning it on Hurst, Lambert signed or gave new deals to the vast majority of the current squad.

Because of, like, the words he says. If you think those are the words of someone who's a fraud and doesn't know what he's doing (or what needs to be done) then there's no helping you.

I'm not pinning it on Hurst - I said Lambert's made mistakes as well. Obviously you'd give a new contract to a player you already have and who's done reasonably well (rather than let him walk for free) but that doesn't mean he's ideally what you'd want or who you'd have signed in the first place.

Lambert interview in the EADT on 10:33 - Sep 10 with 2512 viewsITFC_Forever

Almost as many u-turns as the Government, but credit to Lambert for acknowledging it went wrong last season and why, and what he's going to do about it.

The proof in the pudding will be sticking to it....

As others have said, it does kind of ask the question as to what we do with Jackson. Our most valuable player last season (when you add goals + assists), so do we play him as one of the wide players?
Certainly, him and Norwood were showing signs of forging a partnership, and a number of assists Jackson contributed were from pulling wide to provide the service for Norwood.
You would like to think we can find room for him somewhere.

Dozzell's moment seems to have come, so we need to ensure he can continue to develop and shine and (stop laughing at the back), we can do with a fit Bishop contributing 30-35 games this season.
Sears is an asset in this division, Ward and KVY look like they should add the width going forward.

So all in all, there may be a chance for redemption for PL after all.... but the proof of the pudding will be in the eating.

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Lambert interview in the EADT on 10:44 - Sep 10 with 2473 viewsHerbivore

Lambert interview in the EADT on 10:24 - Sep 10 by BrixtonBlue

Because of, like, the words he says. If you think those are the words of someone who's a fraud and doesn't know what he's doing (or what needs to be done) then there's no helping you.

I'm not pinning it on Hurst - I said Lambert's made mistakes as well. Obviously you'd give a new contract to a player you already have and who's done reasonably well (rather than let him walk for free) but that doesn't mean he's ideally what you'd want or who you'd have signed in the first place.

It's just words though, Dollers. Lambert's biggest strength has always been his ability to say what the fans want to hear, that's why he's picked up the nickname PR Paul. Sadly he's not been anywhere near as competent when it comes to the football side of things.

If Lambert is happy with those players and chose to offer them a new contract they are his players. You can't really argue they aren't his players just because he didn't sign them initially. He could have let them go and replaced them had he really wanted to. 2 years in this is very much his squad and it's one of the strongest and best paid squads in the league. Can't really blame Hurst for last season's failings, they were entirely on Lambert.

Lambert interview in the EADT on 10:55 - Sep 10 with 2449 viewsgordon

Lambert interview in the EADT on 09:39 - Sep 10 by BrixtonBlue

If you won points each time your manager does a nice interview with the local press we'd have stayed up 2 years ago no problem.
Lambert interview in the EADT on 10:56 - Sep 10 with 2445 viewsFixed_It

Lambert interview in the EADT on 09:45 - Sep 10 by Herbivore

And if he sticks to what he says, and it works, will you be prepared to admit that you were wrong? FWIW I will admit I was wrong if he fails to deliver again this season.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Lambert interview in the EADT on 10:58 - Sep 10 with 2439 viewsPassionNotAnger

Lambert interview in the EADT on 09:56 - Sep 10 by Pinewoodblue

First impression was that Lambert has been on the receiving end of his own summer of love, hope I’m right.

Some concern that Lambert doesn’t feel he can turn Jackson into a goal scoring wide attacker.

If you look throughout his entire football management career I very much doubt you'll find a single notable example of where a player has successfully been developed to play more effectively in a different position as if they can't immediately do what he wants them to he side-lines them.
Lambert interview in the EADT on 10:58 - Sep 10 with 2433 viewspointofblue

I suppose the plus side is if we can get Sears and Jackson on the same team they may offer some fluidity, with the ability to float from centre to wide and offering different options. Add Drinan or Lankester to this and we have quite a dynamic front three.

Defence, when fit, picks itself whilst Downes, Dozzell and Bishop did enough versus West Ham to indicate they show some promise. If we lose Downes I guess we’ll play Skuse in his position. The challenge is to get everyone fit but the shape should work for us considering the players we have available.

I do not like Lambert pinning everything last season on a desire to play both Norwood and Jackson up top together. We switched shape and style even when one or both were missing too.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Lambert interview in the EADT on 10:59 - Sep 10 with 2430 viewsHerbivore

Lambert interview in the EADT on 10:56 - Sep 10 by Fixed_It

And if he sticks to what he says, and it works, will you be prepared to admit that you were wrong? FWIW I will admit I was wrong if he fails to deliver again this season.

If he sticks to a way of playing and it works and we go back up I will be very happy and will acknowledge that Lambert has done a good job. I will still be massively frustrated that he spent an entire year getting it spectacularly wrong beforehand though. There's no excusing the shambles of last season and it's quite staggering that some fans are willing to let him off the hook. If we are to believe what he says in this interview he knew he was getting it wrong last season but ploughed on regardless. That doesn't fill me with much confidence. I hope this is more than just another handy bit of PR and that he has genuinely learnt from his mistakes, time will tell I guess.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2020 11:02]

Lambert interview in the EADT on 11:02 - Sep 10 with 2418 viewsgordon

Lambert interview in the EADT on 10:56 - Sep 10 by Fixed_It

I'll be surprised if he's still the manager at Christmas, and I'll be both gobsmacked and utterly wrong about him if he takes us up this season!
Lambert interview in the EADT on 11:07 - Sep 10 with 2400 viewsgordon

Lambert interview in the EADT on 09:57 - Sep 10 by SomethingBlue

Presumably PL doesn't like him enough out there from an off the ball/combinations perspective (or one of the two). But would be good to give it a try and I think we need to really.

Saturday suggested Judge *may* yet have some use in this formation as long as the movement around him is good, which it was.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2020 9:58]

The wide forwards in that formation are really critical to the system working, and they have to be really, really mobile and pacy - think Salah and Mane, Rashford and Martial, Gnabry and Coman etc etc.

If Lambert thinks Judge is better suited than Jackson he hasn't been playing attention to football.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024