Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
For those of a certain age.... 08:06 - Sep 25 with 1754 viewshampstead_blue

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/2HXwW7yy2T2tw4YqlDXvBJZ/your-ultimate-

What is your criteria?

My immediate thought was which album do I love NOW.....then I thought, No! Which did I have that influenced me most....

A really hard choice.
Frankie was such an important album.
Sade is a siren
Soul to Soul was my first intro into dance music

In the end it was Dire Straits. Money for Nothing. Knopfler's guitar style and vibrato was probably, along with Hendrix and Gilmour, my biggest playing influence.
His use of one note to tell a story. The space in between.

What about you?

Oh, the one album which wasn't on there which is my #1...The Cult, Love.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

For those of a certain age.... on 08:32 - Sep 25 with 1710 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

AC/DC Back in Black.
Brian Johnsons first album after Bon Scotts untimely death.
Wondered if the band could continue, but the release of the album emphatically proved the doubters wrong and put the band on the road to greater heights with some of the best rock anthems ever.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

For those of a certain age.... on 08:36 - Sep 25 with 1700 viewsGuthrum

The '80s albums which most influenced my musical taste most are not on their list, being Rainbow's Difficult To Cure and Straight Between The Eyes, plus Dio's Holy Diver. It was tracks from those played on the radio which first got me into heavy rock around the time I was entering my teens. Also, a year or two later, the Sisters of Mercy, The Mission and The Cult.

Tho much of the music which really influenced me came from the two preceding decades, which I experienced retrospectively through radio shows such as The Friday Rock Show, Sounds of the '60s and Folk on 2.

Graceland was significant, being the first album I actually bought new (from Andy's Records at the top of St Johns Street in Bury).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

For those of a certain age.... on 08:42 - Sep 25 with 1696 viewsPendejo

For those of a certain age.... on 08:32 - Sep 25 by StochesStotasBlewe

AC/DC Back in Black.
Brian Johnsons first album after Bon Scotts untimely death.
Wondered if the band could continue, but the release of the album emphatically proved the doubters wrong and put the band on the road to greater heights with some of the best rock anthems ever.

Whilst I'd specify AC/DC as one of my favourite groups and Back in Black is a fine album...

Went for Dare - Human League
As it's one of my favourite albums, whereas BiB not even my fav AC/DC album.

Four hit singles on Dare? Sound of the Crowd, Love Action, Open Your Heart and Don't You Want Me.

Would rather be able to nominate 5, but even that would be tough, and I have to say The Cult's Love should be there (my first CD) as should Kings of the Wild Frontier!!

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

For those of a certain age.... on 08:58 - Sep 25 with 1671 viewsKeno

How the 'king are the Smiths in that list but none of the Police albums?

Dire Straits is good shout as is Eurythmics

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

For those of a certain age.... on 09:03 - Sep 25 with 1664 viewshype313

So many to choose from, can't quite decide but special mentions for..

The Jam Sound Affects
The Stone Roses
Simply Red Picture Book

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

For those of a certain age.... on 09:09 - Sep 25 with 1656 viewsWeWereZombies

It has to Graceland, for the way it harked back to the optimism of the 1960s and looked forward to the fall of Apartheid. Not typical of a BBC Radio Two vision of the 1980s but timeless and introduced many of us to musicians that we may never have otherwise investigated.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

For those of a certain age.... on 09:19 - Sep 25 with 1637 viewsSwansea_Blue

Appetite for Destruction - hit the metal/rock scene like a hand grenade in a chicken coop.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

For those of a certain age.... on 14:53 - Sep 25 with 1596 viewsthecheek

In terms of influence and quality I'd go for The Stone Roses closely followed by the Queen Is Dead

I'd be more likely to listen to The Cure's Disintegration or Head On The Door these days though

For something less obvious then Tallulah by The Go-Betweens is a great album from the 80s
Login to get fewer ads

For those of a certain age.... on 16:14 - Sep 25 with 1563 viewsjontysnut

For those of a certain age.... on 14:53 - Sep 25 by thecheek

In terms of influence and quality I'd go for The Stone Roses closely followed by the Queen Is Dead

I'd be more likely to listen to The Cure's Disintegration or Head On The Door these days though

For something less obvious then Tallulah by The Go-Betweens is a great album from the 80s

mine is Dexys' Searching for the Young Soul Rebels. I went to an 80s night party in the Kevin Rowland donkey jacket, wooly hat and holdall look and people thought I was a gatecrasher
Bucks Fizz - Are You Ready?...... on 16:21 - Sep 25 with 1556 viewsBloots

.....criminally overlooked.

Sweardown.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

For those of a certain age.... on 16:36 - Sep 25 with 1519 viewsazuremerlangus

I owned 17 out of that list - difficult to name a favourite. Out of all of them I probably listen to Peter Gabriel's So more than anything else these days so perhaps that is the answer.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2020 16:39]

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

For those of a certain age.... on 16:37 - Sep 25 with 1518 viewsEireannach_gorm

For those of a certain age.... on 09:09 - Sep 25 by WeWereZombies

It has to Graceland, for the way it harked back to the optimism of the 1960s and looked forward to the fall of Apartheid. Not typical of a BBC Radio Two vision of the 1980s but timeless and introduced many of us to musicians that we may never have otherwise investigated.

I agree, for this alone.

For those of a certain age.... on 16:40 - Sep 25 with 1504 viewsMonkeyAlan

Has to be Guns n Roses, The Smith's and Stone Roses.
For those of a certain age.... on 16:53 - Sep 25 with 1485 viewsghostofescobar

I know it's not the cool choice, but ABC: Lexicon of Love - I can still sing every single word of that album. I'd avoided going to see ABC perform the album in full over the years, as i was terrified that I would somehow be let down and it would taint my love of this record. Eventually saw them perform the album in 2016 with Anne Dudley (she arranged the strings on the original album) conducting the Southbank Sinfonia orchestra: it was magical! This was such a glamorous escape for a 13 years old who had spent his life in a small Suffolk village - I wanted to be that suave and sophisticated!

GhostOfEscobar

For those of a certain age.... on 16:53 - Sep 25 with 1485 viewsgtsb1966

How that list doesn't include Big Country's The Crossing I'll never know.
For those of a certain age.... on 17:09 - Sep 25 with 1467 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

It's Radio 2 so no Talking Heads (5 studio albums in the 80's), Elvis Costello (9), The Fall (9), The La's (2), Public Enemy (2), PIL (5), Tom Waits (4), Beastie Boys (2), Run DMC (4), Billy Bragg (4), Cocteau Twins (5), Go-Betweens (6), Brian Eno (4 solo and 6 more collaborative), Pogues (4) .... blimey even Leonard Cohen released two studio albums in the 80's.

Radio 2? Pah! If it wasn't for Pop Master ....

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

For those of a certain age.... on 17:52 - Sep 25 with 1443 viewsVic

Dare
Rio
Actually
Thriller
Brothers in arms
Super Trouper

So hard to call - so much good music in that lot. I have to go with Dare as the album I listened to most at the time (and everything else by The League), and which defined things most for me. Closely followed by Actually and Rio. I still listen to all three!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024