Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This contact tracing app then 08:17 - Oct 9 with 1581 viewsSteve_M

Guess how many venue-specific alerts it has sent out:

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-contact-tracing-app-has-only-sent-one-ale

[Post edited 9 Oct 2020 8:18]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

This contact tracing app then on 08:19 - Oct 9 with 1139 viewsDanTheMan

I enjoyed the story that came out recently as well that employers have been asking people to turn it off at work in case someone in sick and they have to close.

Which is a fun way of dealing with a coronavirus outbreak at work.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

This contact tracing app then on 08:21 - Oct 9 with 1127 viewsHerbivore

World-beating.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

This contact tracing app then on 08:22 - Oct 9 with 1116 viewsfactual_blue

This contact tracing app then on 08:21 - Oct 9 by Herbivore

World-beating.

And oven-ready.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

This contact tracing app then on 08:23 - Oct 9 with 1116 viewsGuthrum

Someone I know has had a couple of alerts, which turned out to be errors (he phoned up to check).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

This contact tracing app then on 08:26 - Oct 9 with 1111 viewsHerbivore

This contact tracing app then on 08:19 - Oct 9 by DanTheMan

I enjoyed the story that came out recently as well that employers have been asking people to turn it off at work in case someone in sick and they have to close.

Which is a fun way of dealing with a coronavirus outbreak at work.

I have a family member in the ambulance service and a friend in the police, both have been told not to even download the app because they just don't trust it to work effectively, especially with individuals who move around a lot as part of their job.

This contact tracing app then on 08:38 - Oct 9 with 1075 viewsSteve_M

This contact tracing app then on 08:26 - Oct 9 by Herbivore

I have a family member in the ambulance service and a friend in the police, both have been told not to even download the app because they just don't trust it to work effectively, especially with individuals who move around a lot as part of their job.

From an individual perspective, the rational way to use it is to switch it on only when it is required to enter a venue. From a national perspective that would make the entire thing ineffective.

Still £12 billion and counting....

This contact tracing app then on 08:40 - Oct 9 with 1065 viewsDanTheMan

This contact tracing app then on 08:38 - Oct 9 by Steve_M

From an individual perspective, the rational way to use it is to switch it on only when it is required to enter a venue. From a national perspective that would make the entire thing ineffective.

Still £12 billion and counting....

Don't question it though, that's being "divisive".

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

This contact tracing app then on 08:40 - Oct 9 with 1065 viewsuefacup81

This contact tracing app then on 08:26 - Oct 9 by Herbivore

The big problem is the inability to check out.

Say I head into a 24h McDonald's for a quick snack at 0010hrs and check in, but don't check in anywhere else that day.

According to the app I'll have been in McDonald's for almost an entire day, with the inference that I'll have had contact with each and every customer that day.

Ludicrous

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Login to get fewer ads

This contact tracing app then on 08:45 - Oct 9 with 1045 viewsOldsmoker

This contact tracing app then on 08:40 - Oct 9 by uefacup81

Say I head into a 24h McDonald's for a quick snack at 0010hrs and check in, but don't check in anywhere else that day.

According to the app I'll have been in McDonald's for almost an entire day, with the inference that I'll have had contact with each and every customer that day.

Ludicrous

If they think that you've been in McDonalds all that time then your doctor will send you one of the following texts.

Please come in for a cholesterol check
or
You OK hun?

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

This contact tracing app then on 08:46 - Oct 9 with 1043 viewsHerbivore

Ludicrous

It's a major flaw. I just don't see how it can possibly be working when it's only sent out one venue alert. I find it hard to believe with the growing number of cases that none of the other millions of users has had Covid and hadn't been to a venue that uses the app. The numbers are against it.

This contact tracing app then on 08:47 - Oct 9 with 1035 viewsfactual_blue

This contact tracing app then on 08:40 - Oct 9 by DanTheMan

Don't question it though, that's being "divisive".

You should be getting behind your tousled-haired, incompetent Prime Minister.

This contact tracing app then on 08:49 - Oct 9 with 1026 viewsuefacup81

This contact tracing app then on 08:46 - Oct 9 by Herbivore

It's a major flaw. I just don't see how it can possibly be working when it's only sent out one venue alert. I find it hard to believe with the growing number of cases that none of the other millions of users has had Covid and hadn't been to a venue that uses the app. The numbers are against it.

Indeed.

The only possible excuse I can see is its reliance on Bluetooth.

I very rarely use Bluetooth devices so would often have mine disabled so as to preserve battery life. There's probably a whole raft of users out there who've got the app but have Bluetooth switched off, thus neutering it.

This contact tracing app then on 08:51 - Oct 9 with 1022 viewsOldsmoker

I suspect that the govt. are running the app on something like the Osborne 2.0 that Phil and Gav use.
There's a shortage of trained hamsters that can drive such a device.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

This contact tracing app then on 08:51 - Oct 9 with 1021 viewsfactual_blue

I'm not downloading it until there's a law making it mandatory to use it in Waitrose.

This contact tracing app then on 09:19 - Oct 9 with 981 viewsKeno

Surely all we need to do id appoint Trumps doctor as head of the NHS and he can tell us we are all cured

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

This contact tracing app then on 09:26 - Oct 9 with 963 viewshype313

Outrageous.

How Matt Hancock is still in a job is baffling to say the least.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

This contact tracing app then on 09:34 - Oct 9 with 943 viewsvapour_trail

Ludicrous

Excuse me, you’ve forgotten my milkshake.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

This contact tracing app then on 09:37 - Oct 9 with 938 viewsStokieBlue

Ludicrous

I thought that was fixed now?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

This contact tracing app then on 09:44 - Oct 9 with 924 viewsSteve_M

This contact tracing app then on 09:37 - Oct 9 by StokieBlue

I thought that was fixed now?

SB

The inability to upload NHS test results was fixed but last time I looked at the app there was still no check out option (I've not gone out since the start of last week so not had the opportunity to try it).

This contact tracing app then on 10:00 - Oct 9 with 890 viewsMookamoo

This contact tracing app then on 09:44 - Oct 9 by Steve_M

The inability to upload NHS test results was fixed but last time I looked at the app there was still no check out option (I've not gone out since the start of last week so not had the opportunity to try it).

Am I miss understanding? I thought there was no need to check out as you're only scanning others with the app in the venue in real time within a specified distance. Only if those individuals then test positive do you get an alert.

Isn't the venue check in system a way of providing continuing consent so the app doesn't have to scan all the time and track your movements away from venues?
This contact tracing app then on 10:02 - Oct 9 with 886 viewsBloomBlue

But how many people have downloaded it? Last week in the pub someone just asked out of interest how many have downloaded it out of the 19 people in the pub 1 person had downloaded it, the rest couldn't be bothered they said.
Now I know that's not very scientific but if that is the norm it's not going to register many is it
This contact tracing app then on 10:04 - Oct 9 with 881 viewseireblue

Ludicrous

Can CV-19 be infectious if picked up from a surface?
This contact tracing app then on 10:06 - Oct 9 with 873 viewsHerbivore

This contact tracing app then on 10:02 - Oct 9 by BloomBlue

But how many people have downloaded it? Last week in the pub someone just asked out of interest how many have downloaded it out of the 19 people in the pub 1 person had downloaded it, the rest couldn't be bothered they said.
Now I know that's not very scientific but if that is the norm it's not going to register many is it

About 14m people apparently.

This contact tracing app then on 10:10 - Oct 9 with 861 viewsPinewoodblue

This contact tracing app then on 10:02 - Oct 9 by BloomBlue

So pub users are less likely to download the app.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

This contact tracing app then on 10:13 - Oct 9 with 852 viewsuefacup81

This contact tracing app then on 10:04 - Oct 9 by eireblue

Can CV-19 be infectious if picked up from a surface?

Yes, but my understanding is that for these places to remain open they need to be 'COVID Secure'.

So as long as guidelines are being followed, and place settings are being cleaned after each use, the issue of contact transmission should be null and void?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024