Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Norwood rapidly becoming one of our most disappointing signings 12:01 - Oct 13 with 20884 viewshype313

along with Priskin and Martin, although at least Priskin gave us that memorable goal against the Gooners.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Norwood rapidly becoming one of our most disappointing signings on 18:55 - Oct 18 with 2167 viewsHerbivore

Norwood rapidly becoming one of our most disappointing signings on 18:18 - Oct 18 by Keaneish

As I’ve been saying, the law is too grey and open to interpretation. You’ve labelled Norwood as an embarrassment and someone intentionally risking lives. It may be that Norwood went to a friend’s gathering, stayed the night at their house and drove in the morning when he felt it safe to do so. That’s a very different context to someone smashing it up in a nightclub and deliberately driving home being negligent.

Norwood broke the law, no question. Whether he did it recklessly enough to be an embarrassment or to have brought shame on the club is too subjective.

I agree with you, it should be banned entirely so there’s no conjecture or devices in cars which don’t allow you to drive if it detects alcohol in the blood.

The law really isn't all that grey. It sets a clear limit on how much alcohol can be in your bloodstream when driving.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Norwood rapidly becoming one of our most disappointing signings on 19:17 - Oct 18 with 2122 viewsKeaneish

Norwood rapidly becoming one of our most disappointing signings on 18:55 - Oct 18 by Herbivore

The law really isn't all that grey. It sets a clear limit on how much alcohol can be in your bloodstream when driving.

And what’s that limit in relation to a pint when how your body breaks down a pint and consumes the alcohol level is completely different from person to the next? It’s completely a grey area and could easily be eradicated by a zero tolerance approach.

The fact that you won’t be able to tell me how many units of alcohol equate to 50mgs of alcohol in 100mls of blood proves that.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2020 19:18]

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Norwood rapidly becoming one of our most disappointing signings on 19:23 - Oct 18 with 2110 viewsHerbivore

Norwood rapidly becoming one of our most disappointing signings on 19:17 - Oct 18 by Keaneish

And what’s that limit in relation to a pint when how your body breaks down a pint and consumes the alcohol level is completely different from person to the next? It’s completely a grey area and could easily be eradicated by a zero tolerance approach.

The fact that you won’t be able to tell me how many units of alcohol equate to 50mgs of alcohol in 100mls of blood proves that.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2020 19:18]

But then if the limit is zero that is still problematic given, as you say, people metabolise alcohol at different rates. If you have a couple of beers one evening, how do you know when you will next have zero alcohol in your bloodstream? What if you go out for a meal and inadvertently eat a dessert that contains a unit's worth of alcohol and get pulled over on the way home?

There should be zero tolerance of drink driving but I'm not sure how realistic it is to have a limit in the bloodstream of zero. And it certainly wouldn't have saved Norwood given he was reported to be significantly over the limit. Norwood is the one to blame here, not the law.

Norwood rapidly becoming one of our most disappointing signings on 19:29 - Oct 18 with 2095 viewsKeaneish

Norwood rapidly becoming one of our most disappointing signings on 19:23 - Oct 18 by Herbivore

But then if the limit is zero that is still problematic given, as you say, people metabolise alcohol at different rates. If you have a couple of beers one evening, how do you know when you will next have zero alcohol in your bloodstream? What if you go out for a meal and inadvertently eat a dessert that contains a unit's worth of alcohol and get pulled over on the way home?

There should be zero tolerance of drink driving but I'm not sure how realistic it is to have a limit in the bloodstream of zero. And it certainly wouldn't have saved Norwood given he was reported to be significantly over the limit. Norwood is the one to blame here, not the law.

But we’ve just agreed a zero tolerance policy is the answer not leaving it to the individual to be able to determine how many drinks they think they could have and remain under the limit.

Zero tolerance should reduce it greatly. It won’t prevent idiots drink driving completely but it will stamp out open ended questions about toxicity levels.

Norwood is in the wrong, whether wittingly or not is the question. The law is too open to interpretation which is ironic.

Norwood rapidly becoming one of our most disappointing signings on 20:54 - Oct 18 with 2047 viewsSpruceMoose

Norwood rapidly becoming one of our most disappointing signings on 19:29 - Oct 18 by Keaneish

But we’ve just agreed a zero tolerance policy is the answer not leaving it to the individual to be able to determine how many drinks they think they could have and remain under the limit.

Zero tolerance should reduce it greatly. It won’t prevent idiots drink driving completely but it will stamp out open ended questions about toxicity levels.

Norwood is in the wrong, whether wittingly or not is the question. The law is too open to interpretation which is ironic.

Honest question, have you ever been done for drink driving? That's the only reason I can think of as to why someone would go to such lengths to excuse it.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Norwood rapidly becoming one of our most disappointing signings on 20:58 - Oct 18 with 2042 viewsHerbivore

Norwood rapidly becoming one of our most disappointing signings on 19:29 - Oct 18 by Keaneish

But zero tolerance and a zero limit aren't the same thing. And a zero limit isn't as black and white as you make out. The issue of how long it takes to process alcohol out of your system still means you have a judgement call about how long you have to leave it since you last had a drink before you will have zero alcohol in your bloodstream. You're going to quite great lengths to paint drink driving as being an innocent error of judgement that is down to confusing law. It's a really confused and not very convincing argument.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2020 21:00]

Norwood rapidly becoming one of our most disappointing signings on 21:30 - Oct 18 with 2006 viewsKeaneish

Norwood rapidly becoming one of our most disappointing signings on 20:58 - Oct 18 by Herbivore

But zero tolerance and a zero limit aren't the same thing. And a zero limit isn't as black and white as you make out. The issue of how long it takes to process alcohol out of your system still means you have a judgement call about how long you have to leave it since you last had a drink before you will have zero alcohol in your bloodstream. You're going to quite great lengths to paint drink driving as being an innocent error of judgement that is down to confusing law. It's a really confused and not very convincing argument.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2020 21:00]

Really, give it up. You’re going to great lengths to twist semantics. Zero tolerance then. We’re agreeing on the same point but you’re being objectionable to try and point score. So unnecessary.

Norwood has broken the law.
The law should be changed as it is confusing ad it’s open to interpretation.
We don’t know the facts of the case.

Norwood rapidly becoming one of our most disappointing signings on 21:32 - Oct 18 with 2005 viewsSpruceMoose

Norwood rapidly becoming one of our most disappointing signings on 21:30 - Oct 18 by Keaneish

Really, give it up. You’re going to great lengths to twist semantics. Zero tolerance then. We’re agreeing on the same point but you’re being objectionable to try and point score. So unnecessary.

It's not open to interpretation. It's very clear.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Login to get fewer ads

Norwood rapidly becoming one of our most disappointing signings on 21:37 - Oct 18 with 2002 viewsKeaneish

Norwood rapidly becoming one of our most disappointing signings on 20:54 - Oct 18 by SpruceMoose

Honest question, have you ever been done for drink driving? That's the only reason I can think of as to why someone would go to such lengths to excuse it.

What a pathetic question and ridiculous parallel. At no point have I excused it. I’ve made several clear points showing why the law is grey.

The limit is 50 milligrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood - tell me how many pints of beer that is. You can’t, meaning it’s subjective to how much you can drink.

Your arguments are prejudice as you have no context to the facts of the story. Herbs is doing his level best to try and pick holes in something as he always does.

What a pair. Night lads.

Norwood rapidly becoming one of our most disappointing signings on 21:38 - Oct 18 with 1999 viewsHerbivore

Norwood rapidly becoming one of our most disappointing signings on 21:30 - Oct 18 by Keaneish

No, we don't agree. Zero tolerance on knife crime doesn't mean nobody can own a knife anymore, just like zero tolerance on drink driving doesn't mean a limit of zero alcohol in the bloodstream. I've given you perfectly good reasons why such an approach is just as problematic as having a low set limit of what is acceptable. You're ignoring that though for some reason.

Personally I think having a sensible low limit, as we do at the moment, is the way to go. Punish those that break that limit with a ban; that's a zero tolerance approach. I'm not really sure what you're struggling with here other than trying to deflect from Norwood (allegedly) being an irresponsible bellend.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2020 21:50]

Norwood rapidly becoming one of our most disappointing signings on 21:39 - Oct 18 with 1997 viewsHerbivore

Norwood rapidly becoming one of our most disappointing signings on 21:37 - Oct 18 by Keaneish

What a pathetic question and ridiculous parallel. At no point have I excused it. I’ve made several clear points showing why the law is grey.

The limit is 50 milligrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood - tell me how many pints of beer that is. You can’t, meaning it’s subjective to how much you can drink.

Your arguments are prejudice as you have no context to the facts of the story. Herbs is doing his level best to try and pick holes in something as he always does.

What a pair. Night lads.

Yeah it's definitely us who are behaving strangely. Have a day off. Or actually engage in debate like a grown up rather than stropping off whenever you're challenged.

Norwood rapidly becoming one of our most disappointing signings on 21:42 - Oct 18 with 1996 viewsSpruceMoose

Norwood rapidly becoming one of our most disappointing signings on 21:37 - Oct 18 by Keaneish

What a pair. Night lads.

I don't know why you're so upset by my question. You said drink driving was an easy mistake to make and in no way reflected the character of the person involved?

How about this then? Shock horror, if you're driving, how about you don't drink at all? If you're that desperate for a taste of alcohol, use some of your thousands of pounds you earn a week doing feck all on a taxi.

You're being the ridiculous one here. Your excuses are thoroughly absurd.

Norwood rapidly becoming one of our most disappointing signings on 22:35 - Oct 18 with 1931 viewsgazzer1999

Norwood rapidly becoming one of our most disappointing signings on 21:42 - Oct 18 by SpruceMoose

I don't know why you're so upset by my question. You said drink driving was an easy mistake to make and in no way reflected the character of the person involved?

How about this then? Shock horror, if you're driving, how about you don't drink at all? If you're that desperate for a taste of alcohol, use some of your thousands of pounds you earn a week doing feck all on a taxi.

You're being the ridiculous one here. Your excuses are thoroughly absurd.

Shock horror, I think I have to agree again with you Sprucie. If you must have a drink don’t at any costs get behind the wheel. Not really difficult is it, if you must drive, no alcohol.
Norwood rapidly becoming one of our most disappointing signings on 06:59 - Oct 19 with 1783 viewsSwailsey

Norwood rapidly becoming one of our most disappointing signings on 22:35 - Oct 18 by gazzer1999

Shock horror, I think I have to agree again with you Sprucie. If you must have a drink don’t at any costs get behind the wheel. Not really difficult is it, if you must drive, no alcohol.

Further agreement here.

Want to drive? Don’t drink. Want to drink? Don’t drive.

I’m sure you’ll survive a taxi or a sober night. You may not if you wrap your car round a tree or a person.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Norwood rapidly becoming one of our most disappointing signings on 08:04 - Oct 19 with 1739 viewsVic

Norwood rapidly becoming one of our most disappointing signings on 22:35 - Oct 18 by gazzer1999

I agree with this. The only problem I see if if I have a drink one evening, stay over with a mate and then drive home the next day I won’t know how or when I’m completely clear of the alcohol.

No idea what the answer is - maybe no driving within 24 hrs of having a drink? But that seems to be a sledge hammer to crack a nut.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Norwood rapidly becoming one of our most disappointing signings on 08:26 - Oct 19 with 1719 viewsHerbivore

Norwood rapidly becoming one of our most disappointing signings on 08:04 - Oct 19 by Vic

I agree with this. The only problem I see if if I have a drink one evening, stay over with a mate and then drive home the next day I won’t know how or when I’m completely clear of the alcohol.

No idea what the answer is - maybe no driving within 24 hrs of having a drink? But that seems to be a sledge hammer to crack a nut.

But then let's say you have two glasses of wine on a Friday evening and then early on Saturday morning your partner trips and bangs their head and needs to go to A&E. Do you call an ambulance and waste limited resources or do you drive them? You may still have a trace amount of alcohol in your bloodstream but you'd be safe to drive. I think that's why having a limit of zero alcohol in the bloodstream just isn't realistic.

The current level is low, low enough for it to mean your driving shouldn't be impaired if you're within the limit. It's also low enough that you shouldn't really be having a drink if you're intending to drive straight after or to be driving the morning after a big sesh. You don't need a complicated algorithm to try to work out whether someone of your body weight that has consumed X amount of food can get away with having 2 pints and then driving. Just don't drink and drive. But you need to have some leeway in the limit too, you don't want to be arresting and banning people from driving because they've been out for dinner and had tiramisu for dinner and it had 10ml of Tia Maria in it. That would just be silly.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2020 8:27]

Norwood rapidly becoming one of our most disappointing signings on 09:12 - Oct 19 with 1694 viewshype313

Norwood rapidly becoming one of our most disappointing signings on 08:04 - Oct 19 by Vic

You can buy breathalyzers online for peanuts, everyone should have one just to err on the side of caution.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Norwood rapidly becoming one of our most disappointing signings on 17:52 - Oct 19 with 1598 viewsGarv

Norwood rapidly becoming one of our most disappointing signings on 17:28 - Oct 18 by SpruceMoose

You don't find drink driving players an embarrassment?

Embarrassment is just the wrong word. Do I judge them? Sure, but I'm not in a position to be embarrassed by him. I'm not the club.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Norwood rapidly becoming one of our most disappointing signings on 17:56 - Oct 19 with 1592 viewsSpruceMoose

Norwood rapidly becoming one of our most disappointing signings on 17:52 - Oct 19 by Garv

Embarrassment is just the wrong word. Do I judge them? Sure, but I'm not in a position to be embarrassed by him. I'm not the club.

Not for you ya plum - don't you find them an embarrassment from the club's perspective.

No Idea we had so many folk on here who think drink driving is no big deal. Surprising really.

Norwood rapidly becoming one of our most disappointing signings on 10:43 - Oct 20 with 1482 viewsGarv

Norwood rapidly becoming one of our most disappointing signings on 17:56 - Oct 19 by SpruceMoose

Not for you ya plum - don't you find them an embarrassment from the club's perspective.

No Idea we had so many folk on here who think drink driving is no big deal. Surprising really.

Maybe, but how can I be embarrassed by someone from someone else's perspective?

Maybe see if Phil will ask Paul Lambert when they next speak.

If you can find where I've said drink driving isn't a big deal, go for it. My argument isn't really about the drink driving anyway.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Norwood rapidly becoming one of our most disappointing signings on 11:00 - Oct 20 with 1451 viewsGhostOfBenters

Norwood rapidly becoming one of our most disappointing signings on 08:26 - Oct 19 by Herbivore

But then let's say you have two glasses of wine on a Friday evening and then early on Saturday morning your partner trips and bangs their head and needs to go to A&E. Do you call an ambulance and waste limited resources or do you drive them? You may still have a trace amount of alcohol in your bloodstream but you'd be safe to drive. I think that's why having a limit of zero alcohol in the bloodstream just isn't realistic.

The current level is low, low enough for it to mean your driving shouldn't be impaired if you're within the limit. It's also low enough that you shouldn't really be having a drink if you're intending to drive straight after or to be driving the morning after a big sesh. You don't need a complicated algorithm to try to work out whether someone of your body weight that has consumed X amount of food can get away with having 2 pints and then driving. Just don't drink and drive. But you need to have some leeway in the limit too, you don't want to be arresting and banning people from driving because they've been out for dinner and had tiramisu for dinner and it had 10ml of Tia Maria in it. That would just be silly.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2020 8:27]

The simple answer is you don't drive if you're planning on having a tiramisu.
Norwood rapidly becoming one of our most disappointing signings on 11:09 - Oct 20 with 1423 viewshatch

"Norwood has broken the law"

I suspect these are the sort of comments which can get Phil in trouble when it is currently alleged.
Norwood rapidly becoming one of our most disappointing signings on 11:12 - Oct 20 with 1411 viewsGhostOfBenters

Norwood rapidly becoming one of our most disappointing signings on 11:00 - Oct 20 by GhostOfBenters

The simple answer is you don't drive if you're planning on having a tiramisu.

That was a joke Herbivore. Lighten up.
Norwood rapidly becoming one of our most disappointing signings on 11:20 - Oct 20 with 1392 viewsjeera

Norwood rapidly becoming one of our most disappointing signings on 09:12 - Oct 19 by hype313

You can buy breathalyzers online for peanuts, everyone should have one just to err on the side of caution.

I like peanuts.

Especially monkey nuts, peanuts still in the shell and roasted.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024