Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What's the scariest film you've ever seen? 09:08 - Oct 29 with 3764 viewsurbanblue

Following on from Badger's post yesterday, and with Halloween coming up has there been a film that you have found really scary? I don't mean horror or gore but frightening.

For me it has to be ... at the time ... 'The Exorcist'. Brilliant film that I found genuinely frightening and left me with a feeling of dread and impending doom for days afterwards.

Honorable mention for 'Rosemary's Baby'. The mood of that one was chilling.

I don't watch a lot of Horror but recently watched 'Hereditary' after reading good reviews. Definitively has it's moments.

Oh, and let me get 'Ipswich Town FC Season 18/19 review' out of the way now. I'm sure we have all had nightmares over that one!

[Post edited 29 Oct 2020 9:22]
What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 10:51 - Oct 29 with 931 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 10:19 - Oct 29 by GunnsAirkick

The Exorcist is still scary now, it's timeless.

The most disturbing films I've seen in a 'gory' sense are Maniac (1980) and A Cat in the Brain (1990), they really leave you wanting a shower afterwards!

One that really got under my skin in a 'spooky' way is Paranormal Activity (2007). I watched it, then realised in bed that the blue light from our radio alarm clock and hum of the boiler sounded exactly like the bloody film. We had one of those crappy flimsy fabric wardrobes back then, which the cat jumped on and knocked over. making a huge crashing sound. I jumped halfway across the room! I haven't seen any of the sequels as I'd assume they're rubbish, but the original is a good creepy found footage film.

Films that don't scare me so much now but did when I was younger are The Shining (1980), Mrs. Grady in the bath used to scare the crap out of me. Poltergeist was a family favourite and used to give me nightmares. As someone else mentioned the original IT miniseries terrified me and most of my friends. The infamous Ghost Watch (TV 1992) left me and my Dad literally shaking after we watched it, obviously when you re-watch it you're in on the joke, but the first time live was something else.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2020 11:03]

I’ve watched hundreds of scary movies and I genuinely didn’t think The Exorcist was scary at all.

I’d probably vote The Conjuring 1 or Annabelle 2 perhaps.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 10:52 - Oct 29 with 930 viewsFenboyBlue

The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre from 1974 (?)
it was banned from tv for years but I remember when they finally showed it (in the late 90s?) I've never felt so tense watching a film, still remember that.
What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 10:58 - Oct 29 with 912 viewsLeoMuff

The exorcist is my favourite but honourable mentions to the ring, the Babadook, pans labarynth, and I did enjoy Blair witch.

When I was young the Omen proper freaked me out, and while not films haunting of hill house and Bly manor are good on Netflix

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 10:59 - Oct 29 with 910 viewsEdwardF

The Exorcist in book form was, for me, a hundred times scarier than the film - it left me quaking.
As is often the case a book triggers, visions and emotions which are internal and, therefore, hugely powerful.

I leant the book to a mate who, quite iiterally, was so spooked that at one point he threw the book out of his bebroom window never to read again.

If you've never seen the movie then read the book - if you dare!!!

Poll: Hypothetically who would you prefer as your main striker:

What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 11:01 - Oct 29 with 898 viewsLeoMuff

What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 10:59 - Oct 29 by EdwardF

The Exorcist in book form was, for me, a hundred times scarier than the film - it left me quaking.
As is often the case a book triggers, visions and emotions which are internal and, therefore, hugely powerful.

I leant the book to a mate who, quite iiterally, was so spooked that at one point he threw the book out of his bebroom window never to read again.

THe book is excellent, IT is the same - a scary book, and somewhat scary film.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2020 11:02]

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 11:04 - Oct 29 with 891 viewsIllinoisblue

The Shining. Honorable mention to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 11:05 - Oct 29 with 889 viewshomer_123

Surprised no one has mentioned Alien.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 11:15 - Oct 29 with 879 viewsGunnsAirkick

What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 10:51 - Oct 29 by The_Romford_Blue

I’ve watched hundreds of scary movies and I genuinely didn’t think The Exorcist was scary at all.

I’d probably vote The Conjuring 1 or Annabelle 2 perhaps.

I dunno, there's just something about it for me. I think different things scare different people, my wife properly took the p**s out of me being scared of Paranormal Activity for example!

Conjuring 1 creeped me out too, good film that. Generally, gore doesn't scare me at all, but creepy stuff like that gets under my skin.
Login to get fewer ads

What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 11:21 - Oct 29 with 874 viewsdeaddogsmoking

Several of the above get a mention. 'Sinister' and 'Poltergeist' would be my personal calls.

https://www.indiewire.com/gallery/directors-favorite-horror-movies/habit-1996/
What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 11:22 - Oct 29 with 871 viewsBlue_Order

Threads.
What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 11:41 - Oct 29 with 859 viewsWeWereZombies

What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 11:21 - Oct 29 by deaddogsmoking

Several of the above get a mention. 'Sinister' and 'Poltergeist' would be my personal calls.

https://www.indiewire.com/gallery/directors-favorite-horror-movies/habit-1996/

Interesting list, interesting comments by directors and, as some posters have mentioned, it does go to show how subjective our perception of fear is.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 11:55 - Oct 29 with 849 viewsghostofescobar

The Blair Witch Project gnawed away at me for a while.

GhostOfEscobar

What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 13:15 - Oct 29 with 809 viewsandytown

What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 11:22 - Oct 29 by Blue_Order

Threads.

Oh my. I’d forgotten that one. Set in Sheffield around 1984 ish?
What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 14:15 - Oct 29 with 781 viewsCaptainAhab

Agree, it has to be The Exorcist, there's just something about that movie that is so unnerving. Incredibly atmospheric.
The only film to come close to it recently is Hereditary, which somehow creates the same sense of low level dread throughout. I know lots of people hated it, they're wrong.

I watch a lot of horror (maybe too much, as it's hard to get the same feeling from them now) but films that have scared me over the years would be:
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (saw it in an empty cinema in 98 or 99, an intense experience)
Blair Witch
The Descent
Wolf Creek
Sinister
The Witch (more creepy and unsettling than scary)
Hellhouse LLC
Autopsy of Jane Doe (great movie for Halloween, this one if you've not seen it)
Haunt
A Dark Song
What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 14:32 - Oct 29 with 773 viewshype313

What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 14:15 - Oct 29 by CaptainAhab

Agree, it has to be The Exorcist, there's just something about that movie that is so unnerving. Incredibly atmospheric.
The only film to come close to it recently is Hereditary, which somehow creates the same sense of low level dread throughout. I know lots of people hated it, they're wrong.

I watch a lot of horror (maybe too much, as it's hard to get the same feeling from them now) but films that have scared me over the years would be:
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (saw it in an empty cinema in 98 or 99, an intense experience)
Blair Witch
The Descent
Wolf Creek
Sinister
The Witch (more creepy and unsettling than scary)
Hellhouse LLC
Autopsy of Jane Doe (great movie for Halloween, this one if you've not seen it)
Haunt
A Dark Song

The Blair Witch was one of the most overhyped non scary films I've ever seen, just generally found it quite nauseating to watch from a visual perspective.

Autopsy of Jane Doe though, that was a great watch.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 14:42 - Oct 29 with 763 viewsBluebell

Many years ago I was very pregnant and had been for a check and scan to be told it would be another couple of weeks before I gave birth.

That evening we we’re watching a film called The Shuttered Room on telly. I can remember a scene where a woman was in a dark room and someone appeared. I jumped and my contractions started. Back to the hospital and my daughter was born a few hours later!

I never got to see the end of the film.
What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 14:44 - Oct 29 with 762 viewsCaptainAhab

What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 14:32 - Oct 29 by hype313

The Blair Witch was one of the most overhyped non scary films I've ever seen, just generally found it quite nauseating to watch from a visual perspective.

Autopsy of Jane Doe though, that was a great watch.

It hasn't aged brilliantly, but at the time it came out it was genuinely frightening, at least I thought so. It's a real marmite film that one, but if you buy into it, it really gets under your skin. There's something indescribably creepy about being lost in the woods and that ending with the guy in the corner, jeez.
However if you've seen the countless similar movies that came since, before watching Blair Witch, you'd wonder what the fuss was about undoubtedly.
What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 14:53 - Oct 29 with 755 viewsDebsyAngel

Scanners. Freaked the life out of me and still find it uncomfy viewing now. Weirdly the Exorcist never scared me! But I used to be able to watch most horrors and enjoy them, now I have grown more scared in general and don't tend to watch many.
What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 14:58 - Oct 29 with 750 viewsfroudy

The Ring, original (Japanese version)
What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 14:58 - Oct 29 with 750 viewsDebsyAngel

What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 10:59 - Oct 29 by EdwardF

I still own the book - had it for years. I do freak myself out wondering if that book has put a curse on my life at times, with illness and endless bad luck etc.
What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 15:19 - Oct 29 with 736 viewsFenboyBlue

Not typical horror genre but I'd also mention Blue Velvet, more specifically the sense of dread felt about Dennis Hopper's character, Frank Booth.
Also the slow build of the first half of Lynch's Lost Highway was tense.
What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 20:22 - Oct 29 with 675 viewsnorth_stand77

I went to the The Regent age 16 to see The Exorcist. Scared the living daylights out of me!! In fact I left before the end.

All cinemas had organised St John's Ambulance people to be stationed at the back of the cinema as loads of people across the country were fainting while watching the film. There were 4 faintings at the Regent the night I went (well, before I left).

The other reallyscary film for me was IT,
What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 21:00 - Oct 29 with 647 viewsmarchy

Horror film recommendation by baxterbasics 2 Jul 2019 2:53
I just saw a creepy hidden gem of a film. Currently on iPlayer (but not for much longer) and Amazon: The Borderlands

It’s a ‘found footage’ but head and shoulders above most of the genre. Has a few cheap scares but is mostly about a slow ratcheting up of the tension and dread. You don’t know exactly where it is going until the final gut-punch reveal, which is now playing on my mind and robbing me of sleep (hence why I am posting at 2:45am). After watching I found Mark Kermode's review, he said he almost had to leave because it was too much and he’s a horror veteran.

Go check it out.

baxterbasics wasn't wrong, this one's a handful. I always quite liked the concept of found-footage but so many films seemed to make a mess of it. This one does a good job of it, keeps wrong-footing you throughout by mixing and matching funny dialogue with a really creepy atmosphere...then just drops your jaw towards the end.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2020 21:01]
What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 22:17 - Oct 29 with 605 viewsEdwardF

What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 14:58 - Oct 29 by DebsyAngel

I still own the book - had it for years. I do freak myself out wondering if that book has put a curse on my life at times, with illness and endless bad luck etc.

Sorry to hear that.
However, a number of people have admitted that the book caused them genuine trauma so you are not alone in having been impacted.
The book was totally compellling and so incredibly graphic and its central theme touched on some hugely powerful and enduring existential nightmares.

Poll: Hypothetically who would you prefer as your main striker:

What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 22:27 - Oct 29 with 601 viewsVeronaBlue

The Visit or The Strangers.

Perhaps won't go down as the scariest but they are those relatively realistic type films that you could imagine happening to yourself if that makes sense? Proper creeped me out.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024