Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Churned that one out 17:07 - Oct 31 with 2290 viewsSomethingBlue

Couple of things there. Crewe a lovely side to watch, clear relationships all over the park, helps that so many of them have been together since academy days and have had such a consistent run together. They deserved a draw at barest minimum.

Against a side like that you really need a midfield that can impose itself and we just don't have that without Downes/Skuse/even Nolan. Surprised we didn't see Huws really; it's one of those where you'd perhaps rather PL had been more conservative. But either way we're really having to busk it in there at the moment. In that context every three points we tick off is vital and I won't be sniffing at this one.

I spent much of the first hour muttering about Hawkins, who was given a lesson in how to lead the line and bring others into the play by Mandron (who always plays well when I watch him). But fair play for getting the winner and he did improve after half-time, as did most of our players.

Against the negatives it's fair to observe Crewe didn't exactly create chance after chance. Holy brilliant for that one in the first half. Thought our centre-backs did very well, Woolfenden probably man of the match, absolute Rolls Royce on the ball and always looked to come out positively with it.

Jackson showed a lot of what we'd been missing — speed, aggression. Glad to have him back.

We can get a result at Sunderland but Huws needs to start so that we have a semblance of a midfield. We won't be chasing the ball around to the extent we were today, that's one thing to remember. Happy overall with the first 10 games and really can't wait for the couple of weeks off league football as it brings us nearer to getting some key players back.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2020 17:08]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Churned that one out on 17:19 - Oct 31 with 2225 viewsSomethingBlue

Incidentally — I predict the top six sides at the end of the season will be exactly the ones in there now. Possibly Pompey for Lincoln if the latter get a few injuries.

Churned that one out on 17:31 - Oct 31 with 2132 viewsBluefish

I'm not really sure what Jackson did today to warrant your comment about him. He was brought into a system that he the wrong fit for and he looked lost.

What do you think about the way our front 3 is set up to be the furthest distance apart that they can be across the line. It is clearly deliberate to have them hogging tbe touchline and that is why he prefers Edwards on the right. It leaves us hoofing to an isolated striker, he either has to shield off 2 to try and win it and hold it for a long time for support or he ends up chasing his own flick ons. It is a terrible way to set the team up and painful to watch

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Churned that one out on 17:35 - Oct 31 with 2114 viewsbournemouthblue

I hope there was an element of 'resting' the players who will play a big part at Sunderland but that would assume Lambo is some kind of tactician which we know he isn't

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Churned that one out on 17:36 - Oct 31 with 2111 viewsITFC_Forever

Six points this week where we barely deserved two. A positive (of sorts) to take.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Churned that one out on 17:36 - Oct 31 with 2110 viewsSomethingBlue

Churned that one out on 17:31 - Oct 31 by Bluefish

I'm not really sure what Jackson did today to warrant your comment about him. He was brought into a system that he the wrong fit for and he looked lost.

What do you think about the way our front 3 is set up to be the furthest distance apart that they can be across the line. It is clearly deliberate to have them hogging tbe touchline and that is why he prefers Edwards on the right. It leaves us hoofing to an isolated striker, he either has to shield off 2 to try and win it and hold it for a long time for support or he ends up chasing his own flick ons. It is a terrible way to set the team up and painful to watch

Didn't like the front three today and in general I'd much rather they were cutting inside so that the likes of Bishop can get involved. In the first half Edwards went on two or three good runs out wide and (whether or not he should have made more of them anyway) there was nobody to help. We agree on this. The main issue is midfield though at the moment and he needs to take a more conservative approach on Tuesday with Huws in there.

Churned that one out on 17:39 - Oct 31 with 2080 viewsjayessess

It's alarming that we look less coherent as time passes, rather than more. Returning personnel might help, but it feels more like a general coaching and tactics problem to me.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Churned that one out on 17:41 - Oct 31 with 2072 viewsIpswichBoyBlue

Totally agree. Scared stiff of losing the ball. Terrible, boring watch, but at least we won. Lambert Out.
Churned that one out on 17:49 - Oct 31 with 2019 viewsBent_double

Churned that one out on 17:36 - Oct 31 by SomethingBlue

Didn't like the front three today and in general I'd much rather they were cutting inside so that the likes of Bishop can get involved. In the first half Edwards went on two or three good runs out wide and (whether or not he should have made more of them anyway) there was nobody to help. We agree on this. The main issue is midfield though at the moment and he needs to take a more conservative approach on Tuesday with Huws in there.

Today was the first time this season I have actually watched us live - I'm usually just listening to the BBC Suffolk commentary - it was baffling how little assistance Edwards got on the righthand side, especially with 2 or 3 Crewe players around him everytime he got the ball.

You'd think at least one of the midfield players would have made runs to pull defenders away from Edwards and create space for him, but don't think it happened once.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Login to get fewer ads

Churned that one out on 17:54 - Oct 31 with 1982 viewsNthQldITFC

Churned that one out on 17:39 - Oct 31 by jayessess

It's alarming that we look less coherent as time passes, rather than more. Returning personnel might help, but it feels more like a general coaching and tactics problem to me.

And perhaps an inability to instill any lasting confidence and belief in the players.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Churned that one out on 17:57 - Oct 31 with 1960 viewsBlueBadger

Churned that one out on 17:54 - Oct 31 by NthQldITFC

And perhaps an inability to instill any lasting confidence and belief in the players.

What with this, the feeble relegation and the failure to get promoted, I'm starting to think he might not be a very good football manager.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Churned that one out on 17:58 - Oct 31 with 1947 viewsbackwaywhen

Churned that one out on 17:39 - Oct 31 by jayessess

Playing Edwards on the left would help , our goals including his stemmed from his left wing play for the majority , why Lambert keeps sticking him on the right god only knows !
Churned that one out on 18:06 - Oct 31 with 1923 viewsHerbivore

I think the big issue for me is that Lambert won't progress this side. He hasn't done it in any of the previous two seasons. Nicking wins in games where we don't play well is about as good as it gets under Lambert unfortunately. Quite why Edwards keeps ending up back on the right is a mystery when all his best football this season has come when he's been moved to the left. I don't really know why Judge and Sears keep getting picked. We've stuck with a system that in principle should suit us, but Lambert doesn't know how to make it work. He's picking the same one paced, one dimensional line ups that have characterised most of his tenure here.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Churned that one out on 18:07 - Oct 31 with 1911 viewsjayessess

Churned that one out on 17:58 - Oct 31 by backwaywhen

Playing Edwards on the left would help , our goals including his stemmed from his left wing play for the majority , why Lambert keeps sticking him on the right god only knows !

I think it goes much deeper than that. It feels like most weeks we have no identity of our own, nor any plans to counter what the opposition do best or any set pattern of play to exploit any of their weaknesses.

Crewe are a classic lower league passing team who flatter to deceive, but we let them play the game they wanted to play!

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Churned that one out on 18:08 - Oct 31 with 1894 viewsBluefish

Churned that one out on 18:06 - Oct 31 by Herbivore

I think the big issue for me is that Lambert won't progress this side. He hasn't done it in any of the previous two seasons. Nicking wins in games where we don't play well is about as good as it gets under Lambert unfortunately. Quite why Edwards keeps ending up back on the right is a mystery when all his best football this season has come when he's been moved to the left. I don't really know why Judge and Sears keep getting picked. We've stuck with a system that in principle should suit us, but Lambert doesn't know how to make it work. He's picking the same one paced, one dimensional line ups that have characterised most of his tenure here.

Correct

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Churned that one out on 18:09 - Oct 31 with 1894 viewsbackwaywhen

Churned that one out on 18:06 - Oct 31 by Herbivore

Blo#dy good post .... spot on .
Churned that one out on 13:59 - Nov 1 with 1634 viewsSamWhiteUK

While I disagree with you about Edwards in general, I totally agree with you that the wide players seem to be instructed to do some weird things. Sure, if they get the ball in that wide position, we have Hawkins to aim at, but how often does that actually happen?

Plus, obviously, all Edwards' goals have come from when he's come in from out on the wing to find himself in good positions. You mentioned in another thread that the tactic seems to be to just drive for the byline, and this happens so often
Churned that one out on 14:14 - Nov 1 with 1600 viewsbadadski

Churned that one out on 13:59 - Nov 1 by SamWhiteUK

While I disagree with you about Edwards in general, I totally agree with you that the wide players seem to be instructed to do some weird things. Sure, if they get the ball in that wide position, we have Hawkins to aim at, but how often does that actually happen?

Plus, obviously, all Edwards' goals have come from when he's come in from out on the wing to find himself in good positions. You mentioned in another thread that the tactic seems to be to just drive for the byline, and this happens so often

The same thing happened last year with Garbutt, he was providing goals and assists from left wing, we were winning games then he moved him to left back and we fell down the league.

Similar now with Edwards, he has moved him away from position where he is helping to dominate against teams to the opposite flank to presumably fit in sears.
Churned that one out on 14:22 - Nov 1 with 1579 viewsericclacton

That's right, they also had too many passes in the final third we have seen it all before good passing football but you must have at least one greedy pig up front.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024