Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... 14:50 - Nov 20 with 2269 viewsbluelagos

Given the very welcome decision of the UK govt to ban the sales of new petrol and diesel cars by 2030, does that now mean we can all congratulate XR on putting the issue firmly on the agenda, achieving far more by their direct action than anyone else has managed in the past century to change the political agenda and help save our precious planet?

Anyone changed their views or are they still thought to be harming their cause by their actions?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 08:09 - Nov 21 with 370 viewsBluefish

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 22:20 - Nov 20 by Pendejo

Test v Real World driving.

Like conventional diesel / petrol test mpg rarely achieved in real world driving, the same applies to fully electric cars.

I have tested 2 fully electric cars and neither achieved anything near the claimed mileage.

Under wltp the diesel and petrol test are very accurate. Granted they weren't under nedc though

The electric and hybrid ones less so but they are much closer than than used to be the expected drop on the published number would be about 10% so still plenty of range

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 08:16 - Nov 21 with 366 viewsFreddies_Ears

I won't be convinced until there is an electric car that will get me to Fleetwood and back without having to add a couple of extra days to charge the naffing thing...
[Post edited 21 Nov 2020 8:17]
Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 08:17 - Nov 21 with 362 viewsBluefish

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 08:16 - Nov 21 by Freddies_Ears

I won't be convinced until there is an electric car that will get me to Fleetwood and back without having to add a couple of extra days to charge the naffing thing...
[Post edited 21 Nov 2020 8:17]

Would you normally stop on the way for food or drink or a toilet stop? If yes then the cars exist today. Can you go there and back on a tank of petrol?

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 08:34 - Nov 21 with 354 viewsStokieBlue

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 08:09 - Nov 21 by Bluefish

Under wltp the diesel and petrol test are very accurate. Granted they weren't under nedc though

The electric and hybrid ones less so but they are much closer than than used to be the expected drop on the published number would be about 10% so still plenty of range

Realistically is range a huge issue for electric cars? How often do people really use a whole tank of petrol in one go?

I suspect the majority (and I mean upwards of 90%) of the journeys that the "average punter" takes are probably less than 20 miles (probably more like 10 miles). Of course there is a need for a longer range when taking that occasional longer trip but I don't see it as a major issue in this country. The rapid charging you highlighted is fine for occasional use. Obviously some people need more range for their jobs but that is a minority.

Of course it does depend on geography, in the US I can imagine they are much more concerned with the range given how things are more spaced out.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 08:45 - Nov 21 with 343 viewsBluefish

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 08:34 - Nov 21 by StokieBlue

Realistically is range a huge issue for electric cars? How often do people really use a whole tank of petrol in one go?

I suspect the majority (and I mean upwards of 90%) of the journeys that the "average punter" takes are probably less than 20 miles (probably more like 10 miles). Of course there is a need for a longer range when taking that occasional longer trip but I don't see it as a major issue in this country. The rapid charging you highlighted is fine for occasional use. Obviously some people need more range for their jobs but that is a minority.

Of course it does depend on geography, in the US I can imagine they are much more concerned with the range given how things are more spaced out.

SB

Yep most journeys are less than 30 miles

We've had Kias on the road for 2 years that do 200 miles comfortably on 1 charge

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 12:44 - Nov 21 with 303 viewsbluelagos

Lots of posts around electric cars (Cheers for the various angles)

Wondering if anyone knows more about Hydrogen? The Hyundai salesman guy I spoke to a while back reckoned that was the future rather than electric. Any insights / knowledge on whether they are a genuine prospect?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 12:59 - Nov 21 with 297 viewsKropotkin123

As Thoreau said "the government is only the mode which the people have chosen to execute their will and it is liable to be abused and perverted before people can act through it."

Civil disobedience is therefore a duty of a democratic citizen when such abuse and perversion takes place.

I would argue that decades of failure to address climate change constitutes an abuse and perversion and they are perfectly entitled to take such action.

Now, whether they had this affect on the automotive legislation, is quite a leap. The government wouldn't bring in such legislation if the automotive industry couldn't adhere to it. I think Tesla, and the industry destroying route they are currently on holds greater responsibility.

It is a case for many automotive companies that they must adapt to this competition or die. This change in the private sphere has allowed the government to react.

Just my opinion of course.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 13:02 - Nov 21 with 294 viewsBluefish

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 12:44 - Nov 21 by bluelagos

Wondering if anyone knows more about Hydrogen? The Hyundai salesman guy I spoke to a while back reckoned that was the future rather than electric. Any insights / knowledge on whether they are a genuine prospect?

They have a lot invested in the nexo. Many think it is the future which for me is bad news because it is miles off being feasible and will damage the electric push if there is a split

I've been in one but didn't get to drive it

Hyundai and Kia are always miles ahead in the electric push and should be congratulated.

Login to get fewer ads

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 13:08 - Nov 21 with 288 viewsSpruceMoose

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 12:44 - Nov 21 by bluelagos

This is the extent of my knowledge

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 13:15 - Nov 21 with 282 viewsStokieBlue

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 13:02 - Nov 21 by Bluefish

They have a lot invested in the nexo. Many think it is the future which for me is bad news because it is miles off being feasible and will damage the electric push if there is a split

I've been in one but didn't get to drive it

Hyundai and Kia are always miles ahead in the electric push and should be congratulated.

The Japanese government has hugely subsidised hydrogen research in their car companies - although a lot of that is around fuel cells.

It made sense 15 years ago when they did it but battery technology has moved on so much it makes less sense now. Even though it's the most abundant element in the universe, producing hydrogen isn't as easy as we would wish.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 13:57 - Nov 21 with 274 viewsPlums

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 15:15 - Nov 20 by wkj

I too feel that the timeline is arbitrary.

The cynic in me feels a delay will be the best case scenario, but the likely outcome will be moving the goalposts so that what counts as a hybrid ends up being a tweaked alternator or some such.

Why is this being taken seriously? This government has a track record of soundbites and slogans but no substance. Reference: Brexit, Track and Trace, Covid Marshalls, Levelling Up and multiple others.
Until there’s a sign of significant action on the scale of HS2, this is just hot air and will come to nothing. We haven’t even got rural broadband sorted, never mind a national electric vehicle infrastructure.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 15:16 - Nov 21 with 259 viewsClapham_Junction

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 16:39 - Nov 20 by woiii

I was talking to the electrician who was fitting my smartmeter about all this the other day and he reckoned you would need to install infrastructure to the tune of 20-50 substations to electrify an entire multi-storey car park.

Now bearing in mind he was only fitting my smartmeter this could be total crap, but if someone on here knows what they're talking about it would be good to be informed.

It is total crap. My workplace is electrifying our fleet, which consists of around 70 HGVs (for which we're installing some very high power chargers) and numerous 3.5 tonne vehicles. We're having one substation put in to support the increase in power needed.

If cars are parked in a multi-storey workplace car park, they can be on 13 amp plug trickle chargers rather than having to install proper chargers, which would reduce the additional capacity required. I was temporarily lent a leaf by my workplace to commute during the first part of lockdown and could only charge it at work on a standard plug socket - by the time I finished work, it was always fully charged.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024