Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 12:15 - Dec 17 with 8901 viewstractordownsouth

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/jacob-rees-mogg-says-unicef-23182270

Apparently Unicef are "playing politics" by intervening to try and help kids that have been left hungry by his party's policies. I really hope nobody is still taken in by his harmless posho demeanour. He's an awful, awful person who treats the rest of us with contempt.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 12:43 - Dec 18 with 821 viewsSpruceMoose

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 07:12 - Dec 18 by 26_Paz

I’d appreciate it if you didn’t pass comment upon my financial circumstances, thanks.

I was talking about your decency levels.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 12:44 - Dec 18 with 820 viewsSpruceMoose

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 07:15 - Dec 18 by 26_Paz

The other thread you’ve been pointed to talks about this unicef thing, which is obviously different to the question you’ve asked about food banks.
Food banks is a more complicated one, they obviously shouldn’t be necessary and something has gone wrong somewhere. Where that is I feel is a more nuanced question than just saying benefits should be higher.

“Something has gone wrong"

"Something has gone entirely to plan for the Conservatives and their voters" you mean?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 12:45 - Dec 18 with 820 viewsfooters

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 12:35 - Dec 18 by sotd78

Ok I have tried to ask this question elsewhere.

Before I say more though I am at the opposite end to the political spectrum to Jacob Rees Mogg - before anyone else gets to think otherwise. Let's be clear about that.

Unicef have given £25K to a Southwark based charity to supply breakfast bags after Christmas up to February half term - for children presumably before school, That's a laudable aim.

However, the funding gap I contend would have been closed by any number of other grants etc. So Unicef have stepped in on the doorstep of Parliament in a deprived area.

I think, but cannot of course prove, that this is a stunt. It is designed on several levels to say:

The UK Govt doesn't look after its own so we have to

It is saying to the public - support Unicef because we don't just do overseas but we also do the UK

It is designed to put pressure on a Govt that has just annouced a Foreign Aid cut from 0.7% GDP to 0.5% GDP

They're doing similar things (so I read) in Germany.

It smacks of politics; JRM called it out probably slightly after I did on here ironically.

This has nothing whatsoever to do with the terrible situation of not feeding our own - for which our Govt is somewhat responsible and should be ashamed. It is merely saying don't think Unicef are really highlighting an issue without an agenda of their own.

So, in your view, UNICEF are also playing politics in the other 189 countries they operate in too?

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 12:45 - Dec 18 with 820 viewsSpruceMoose

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 11:39 - Dec 18 by Herbivore

What do you like about JRM? Is it him voting against equal rights for gay people? Him voting against ensuring landlords have to maintain pretty basic standards for tenants (side note: JRM owns property and is a landlord himself)? Is it him claiming Grenfell victims lacked his level of common sense? Is it him accusing a NGO that is concerned with the welfare of children of "playing politics" because they've felt the need to step in and help feed children his government has neglected? Is it the contempt he clearly holds people in, as evidenced in his don't give a feck slouch during an important Commons debate? Is it him lying to the Queen about the reasons for proroguing parliament and showing zero contrition afterwards? Is it him cheerleading for Brexit and telling everyone how great it will be whilst simultaneously moving some of his business interests to Ireland and informing investors that the step was taken to safeguard against the impact of Brexit?

Personally I'd say all of that makes him a total wanger, not someone I'd be happy being compared with. What is it that you think outweighs all that awful stuff and makes him likeable?
[Post edited 18 Dec 2020 11:41]

"Yes"

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 12:48 - Dec 18 with 810 viewsHerbivore

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 12:35 - Dec 18 by sotd78

Before I say more though I am at the opposite end to the political spectrum to Jacob Rees Mogg - before anyone else gets to think otherwise. Let's be clear about that.

Unicef have given £25K to a Southwark based charity to supply breakfast bags after Christmas up to February half term - for children presumably before school, That's a laudable aim.

However, the funding gap I contend would have been closed by any number of other grants etc. So Unicef have stepped in on the doorstep of Parliament in a deprived area.

I think, but cannot of course prove, that this is a stunt. It is designed on several levels to say:

It is saying to the public - support Unicef because we don't just do overseas but we also do the UK

It is designed to put pressure on a Govt that has just annouced a Foreign Aid cut from 0.7% GDP to 0.5% GDP

It smacks of politics; JRM called it out probably slightly after I did on here ironically.

This has nothing whatsoever to do with the terrible situation of not feeding our own - for which our Govt is somewhat responsible and should be ashamed. It is merely saying don't think Unicef are really highlighting an issue without an agenda of their own.

Why would UNICEF want to make the government look bad? They have no political affiliation, their remit is simply to respond to children in need across the globe.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 12:50 - Dec 18 with 804 viewssotd78

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 12:35 - Dec 18 by Half_Idiot

If the government weren't letting their nations children starve it wouldn't be necessary.

No UK Govt has let its people starve. Even on the soup kitchen TV pictures in Burnley there weren't too many crawling in the gutter for food.

Yes there are issues; yes we have deprived areas of the UK that need help but it is not just a case of lobbing food at people. It's much, much, much more complicated than that.

Governments provide basic support to people - whether that is enough is an opinion we all have to decide on. Whether we want to lob in more to a basic wage, a living wage, payments to people for "doing nothing" etc is all political. Labour would do more and tax everyone and never get elected; The Tories do less and tax less and get elected.

Which way did the majority vote last time out?

Before anyone gets all out of the trees again - I voted Lib Dem - but then I am a Federalist Remainer.

Blue shirts/white shorts - sotd78

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 12:51 - Dec 18 with 793 viewsHerbivore

And to add, UNICEF's 'agenda' is to help kids experiencing poverty and humanitarian crises. Curse those nefarious arseholes at UNICEF with their agenda of not letting kids go hungry. The absolute state of it.

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 12:52 - Dec 18 with 793 viewsSpruceMoose

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 12:50 - Dec 18 by sotd78

No UK Govt has let its people starve. Even on the soup kitchen TV pictures in Burnley there weren't too many crawling in the gutter for food.

Yes there are issues; yes we have deprived areas of the UK that need help but it is not just a case of lobbing food at people. It's much, much, much more complicated than that.

Governments provide basic support to people - whether that is enough is an opinion we all have to decide on. Whether we want to lob in more to a basic wage, a living wage, payments to people for "doing nothing" etc is all political. Labour would do more and tax everyone and never get elected; The Tories do less and tax less and get elected.

Before anyone gets all out of the trees again - I voted Lib Dem - but then I am a Federalist Remainer.

Good to know crawling in the gutter is the standard we need to keep an eye out for.

Login to get fewer ads

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 12:52 - Dec 18 with 790 viewssotd78

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 12:48 - Dec 18 by Herbivore

Why would UNICEF want to make the government look bad? They have no political affiliation, their remit is simply to respond to children in need across the globe.

Unicef have a marketing division as skilled and clever as any other. They have a remit to maximise revenues. You think that doesn't get them into politics? Dfid match funding?
Etc.

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 12:53 - Dec 18 with 785 viewsHerbivore

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 12:50 - Dec 18 by sotd78

Jesus wept.

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 12:55 - Dec 18 with 781 viewssotd78

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 12:51 - Dec 18 by Herbivore

And to add, UNICEF's 'agenda' is to help kids experiencing poverty and humanitarian crises. Curse those nefarious arseholes at UNICEF with their agenda of not letting kids go hungry. The absolute state of it.

Curse those nefarious @resholes at TWTD that pick out the bits they think they can use out of context.

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 12:55 - Dec 18 with 779 viewsHerbivore

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 12:52 - Dec 18 by sotd78

Unicef have a marketing division as skilled and clever as any other. They have a remit to maximise revenues. You think that doesn't get them into politics? Dfid match funding?
Etc.

What you are describing is an opinion that this was a marketing stunt. That's not 'playing politics' even if you are correct, which I personally don't think you are as your view is not well evidenced.

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 12:57 - Dec 18 with 773 viewsClapham_Junction

The majority voted for parties opposed to the Tories.

Your final claim is looking about as believable as Pickles' claims to have voted remain.
Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 12:57 - Dec 18 with 773 viewsHerbivore

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 12:55 - Dec 18 by sotd78

Curse those nefarious @resholes at TWTD that pick out the bits they think they can use out of context.

Curse you quite frankly, you're coming across as an utterly heartless JRM nuthugger, no matter how much you protest the contrary. I also already replied to the rest of the nonsense in your post so respectfully you can do one, pal.

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 12:58 - Dec 18 with 766 viewsgiant_stow

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 12:52 - Dec 18 by sotd78

Etc.

I don't get why this is even a debate, but here's a post from VT from that other thread the sums it up well (at the bottom)

UNICEF help to feed British children for the first time in their history by vapour_trail 18 Dec 2020 0:15
The sector isn’t in a good way. Trust is low with the public, not just you, as it is with institutions generally. My theory is that this broader collapse in trust is anchored in the MPs expenses scandal, but whatever it is, trust isn’t likely to return soon.

People give money in a less reliable manner. The number of people who donate a monthly payment to a charity has been dwindling for a while. They’re also more expensive to recruit and to subsequently retain, meaning lifetime value of a supporter is more important than ever. Some charities make the mistake you describe of hammering people too much with this in mind, at the expense of focussing on charitable purpose.

Lots of fundraising mechanisms are of course lost for the time being.

To the OP, the UNICEF move is undoubtedly politically motivated. I don’t understand how it can be seen in any other context. It is however, also motivated by their charitable purpose.

or even a rare hit of a post from Darth too:

UNICEF help to feed British children for the first time in their history by Darth_Koont 17 Dec 2020 20:11
I actually agree that Unicef may be playing politics. But as people have said already on this thread, they can because the UK certainly has a case to answer - and also there’s a much more important and ethical end to excuse the means.

I’m sure JRM wants to make this about politics instead of addressing the 4 million UK children in poverty. Soon to be over 5 million, in no small part because of his utterly delusional but nevertheless wonderfully self-serving Brexit.

[Post edited 18 Dec 2020 13:02]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 12:59 - Dec 18 with 764 viewsSpruceMoose

Etc.

So is all charity work 'a stunt' then? What's makes one charitable act acceptable and another unacceptable? The arguments here suggest that it becomes unacceptable when it gets people talking about the incredibly poor and often combative approach the British government takes in providing for their poorest citizens.

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 13:00 - Dec 18 with 761 viewsSpruceMoose

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 12:57 - Dec 18 by Clapham_Junction

The majority voted for parties opposed to the Tories.

Your final claim is looking about as believable as Pickles' claims to have voted remain.

Or Pecker's claim to have covid...

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 13:04 - Dec 18 with 745 viewssotd78

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 12:55 - Dec 18 by Herbivore

What you are describing is an opinion that this was a marketing stunt. That's not 'playing politics' even if you are correct, which I personally don't think you are as your view is not well evidenced.

I think it is best I leave this now. I question the motives behind Unicef spending £25K here in the UK when I think there's other money available and when Unicef really should be spending it elsewhere in other much more needy places.

But perhaps this will help:
“If among you, one of your brothers should become poor, in any of your towns within your land that the Lord your God is giving you, you shall not harden your heart or shut your hand against your poor brother, but you shall open your hand to him and lend him sufficient for his need, whatever it may be...For the poor you will always have with you in the land. Therefore I command you, ‘You shall open wide your hand to your brother, to the needy and to the poor, in your land.’" (Deut 15:7-11)

Read it in context with what Jesus said
“You will always have the poor among you, but you will not always have me” (John 12:8).

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 13:06 - Dec 18 with 742 viewsSpruceMoose

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 13:04 - Dec 18 by sotd78

I think it is best I leave this now. I question the motives behind Unicef spending £25K here in the UK when I think there's other money available and when Unicef really should be spending it elsewhere in other much more needy places.

“If among you, one of your brothers should become poor, in any of your towns within your land that the Lord your God is giving you, you shall not harden your heart or shut your hand against your poor brother, but you shall open your hand to him and lend him sufficient for his need, whatever it may be...For the poor you will always have with you in the land. Therefore I command you, ‘You shall open wide your hand to your brother, to the needy and to the poor, in your land.’" (Deut 15:7-11)

“You will always have the poor among you, but you will not always have me” (John 12:8).

OK this just got weird. Your poor crawling in the gutter comment makes more sense now though.

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 13:06 - Dec 18 with 740 viewsfooters

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 13:04 - Dec 18 by sotd78

Yeah, when you resort to the Bible as an excuse for not feeding hungry kids you know you've lost the argument.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 13:29 - Dec 18 with 717 viewsHalf_Idiot

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 13:06 - Dec 18 by footers

Yeah, when you resort to the Bible as an excuse for not feeding hungry kids you know you've lost the argument.

I don't think they're making the point they think they're making.

"you shall not harden your heart or shut your hand against your poor brother, but you shall open your hand to him and lend him sufficient for his need, whatever it may be"

It is literally telling us not to let the poor go without, not that we just have to accept there will always be poor people like they seem to be insinuating.

UNICEF are following this but our government is not.
Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 13:37 - Dec 18 with 703 viewsHerbivore

Yeah, I'm not a fan of historical fiction and I'm not really seeing the relevance here. Best you just leave it as you suggested.

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 13:43 - Dec 18 with 684 views26_Paz

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 11:39 - Dec 18 by Herbivore

What do you like about JRM? Is it him voting against equal rights for gay people? Him voting against ensuring landlords have to maintain pretty basic standards for tenants (side note: JRM owns property and is a landlord himself)? Is it him claiming Grenfell victims lacked his level of common sense? Is it him accusing a NGO that is concerned with the welfare of children of "playing politics" because they've felt the need to step in and help feed children his government has neglected? Is it the contempt he clearly holds people in, as evidenced in his don't give a feck slouch during an important Commons debate? Is it him lying to the Queen about the reasons for proroguing parliament and showing zero contrition afterwards? Is it him cheerleading for Brexit and telling everyone how great it will be whilst simultaneously moving some of his business interests to Ireland and informing investors that the step was taken to safeguard against the impact of Brexit?

Personally I'd say all of that makes him a total wanger, not someone I'd be happy being compared with. What is it that you think outweighs all that awful stuff and makes him likeable?
[Post edited 18 Dec 2020 11:41]

He is a brexit hero. I like his eloquence and his constitutional knowledge.

The Paz Man

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 13:46 - Dec 18 with 683 viewsSpruceMoose

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 13:43 - Dec 18 by 26_Paz

Such a weird worldview Poor Paz. Funny as fook though.

You do know that there is absolutely nothing Posh Paz would like about you though, right? If you were on fire he'd have his servant put you out with a lawn mower.

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 13:46 - Dec 18 with 684 viewsJ2BLUE

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 13:43 - Dec 18 by 26_Paz

Ahh. Nastiness is fine as long as it's delivered with pomposity and in decent English.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024