Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 12:15 - Dec 17 with 8903 viewstractordownsouth

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/jacob-rees-mogg-says-unicef-23182270

Apparently Unicef are "playing politics" by intervening to try and help kids that have been left hungry by his party's policies. I really hope nobody is still taken in by his harmless posho demeanour. He's an awful, awful person who treats the rest of us with contempt.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 18:00 - Dec 17 with 1849 viewssotd78

Much as I dislike Jacob Rees Mogg he probably has a point. This is Unicef playing politics when they really shouldn't.

Blue shirts/white shorts - sotd78

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 18:10 - Dec 17 with 1839 viewsSpruceMoose

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 18:00 - Dec 17 by sotd78

Much as I dislike Jacob Rees Mogg he probably has a point. This is Unicef playing politics when they really shouldn't.

"Much as I dislike Jacob Rees Mogg"
[x} Doubt

"This is Unicef playing politics"
Nonsense.
[Post edited 17 Dec 2020 18:12]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 20:17 - Dec 17 with 1767 viewssyntaxerror

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 12:21 - Dec 17 by clive_baker

He's got a lot of competition but I make him one of the absolute worst of the worst.

Colleague of mine was at Oxford with him.
He used to pay someone to hold an umbrella for him when it rained.
Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 23:26 - Dec 17 with 1730 viewsBlueBadger

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 18:00 - Dec 17 by sotd78

What's 'political' about feeding starving children?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 23:32 - Dec 17 with 1731 viewsBlueBadger

'Funny' Tories are invariably the ones with the vilest views and associations. See also: Alexander Boris De Pfeffel Johnson.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 01:21 - Dec 18 with 1706 viewsmonytowbray

I miss the days when everyone was offended the vandals who threw condoms on his lawn didn’t fo far enough and commit arson.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 07:12 - Dec 18 with 1641 views26_Paz

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 12:19 - Dec 17 by SpruceMoose

Ah Posh Paz has been spouting off again has he? It's almost word for word what Poor Paz was saying yesterday.
[Post edited 17 Dec 2020 12:21]

I’d appreciate it if you didn’t pass comment upon my financial circumstances, thanks.

The Paz Man

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 07:15 - Dec 18 with 1640 views26_Paz

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 13:36 - Dec 17 by BlueNomad

Braintree is a relatively small district. Its represented in Parliament by Cleverley and Patel. The foodbank is currently taking in two tons of donations each day and providing eight per week. Fantastic on the part of the community; shameful that there has been increasing need over the past ten years.

I would like Paz's views on this.

The other thread you’ve been pointed to talks about this unicef thing, which is obviously different to the question you’ve asked about food banks.
Food banks is a more complicated one, they obviously shouldn’t be necessary and something has gone wrong somewhere. Where that is I feel is a more nuanced question than just saying benefits should be higher.

The Paz Man

Login to get fewer ads

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 07:46 - Dec 18 with 1631 viewsHerbivore

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 07:15 - Dec 18 by 26_Paz

The other thread you’ve been pointed to talks about this unicef thing, which is obviously different to the question you’ve asked about food banks.
Food banks is a more complicated one, they obviously shouldn’t be necessary and something has gone wrong somewhere. Where that is I feel is a more nuanced question than just saying benefits should be higher.

You're right, wages also need to be higher as the majority of households experiencing poverty are households where the adults are in work.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 08:30 - Dec 18 with 1600 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 07:46 - Dec 18 by Herbivore

You're right, wages also need to be higher as the majority of households experiencing poverty are households where the adults are in work.

Not right about "this UNICEF thing" being different to questions about food banks though.

Despite attempts to paint the UNICEF donation as simply "playing politics", both the fact that UNICEF have seen a small gap and attempted to fill it (and been allowed that opportunity) and that we have a growing reliance on food banks in this country are massive indictments of successive UK governments.

And of course out of work and in work benefits need to rise ("in work benefits" - what a bl00dy thing. Who do they benefit most I wonder?); for some people (and no, not all, before some poverty denier jumps on the bandwagon and says "but the Yemen, but Ethiopia ..") these are below subsistence levels.

I happen to think, in case this gets raised again, that this is a great country to live in - I think one's views on the country of one's residency, though, are naturally coloured by one's personal circumstances. I therefore regard myself as lucky. The thing is it could, and to my mind really should, be an even better place to live and for all of the population.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 08:37 - Dec 18 with 1586 viewsHerbivore

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 08:30 - Dec 18 by You_Bloo_Right

Not right about "this UNICEF thing" being different to questions about food banks though.

Despite attempts to paint the UNICEF donation as simply "playing politics", both the fact that UNICEF have seen a small gap and attempted to fill it (and been allowed that opportunity) and that we have a growing reliance on food banks in this country are massive indictments of successive UK governments.

And of course out of work and in work benefits need to rise ("in work benefits" - what a bl00dy thing. Who do they benefit most I wonder?); for some people (and no, not all, before some poverty denier jumps on the bandwagon and says "but the Yemen, but Ethiopia ..") these are below subsistence levels.

I happen to think, in case this gets raised again, that this is a great country to live in - I think one's views on the country of one's residency, though, are naturally coloured by one's personal circumstances. I therefore regard myself as lucky. The thing is it could, and to my mind really should, be an even better place to live and for all of the population.

We're one of the richest countries in the world. There's no excuse for people needing to rely on food banks and the governmemt having to subsidise wages whilst we have numerous billionaires residing here. The fact we tolerate poverty whilst allowing insanely wealthy people to continue accumulating wealth at an incredible rate is outrageous really, but for some reason lots of people have an aversion to asking people who exploit the system to hoard great wealth to actually give something meaningful back.

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 10:01 - Dec 18 with 1559 viewsSeablu

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 07:12 - Dec 18 by 26_Paz

I’d appreciate it if you didn’t pass comment upon my financial circumstances, thanks.

I took ‘Posh Paz’ to mean you were a Peterborough fan rather than a reference to your investment portfolio.
Context innit though?
Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 10:07 - Dec 18 with 1532 views26_Paz

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 10:01 - Dec 18 by Seablu

I took ‘Posh Paz’ to mean you were a Peterborough fan rather than a reference to your investment portfolio.
Context innit though?

He was calling JRM ‘Posh Paz’. I don’t have an issue with that. It was him calling me ‘Poor Paz’ I took issue with.
Oh and I’m not a Peterborough fan, where have you got that from?
[Post edited 18 Dec 2020 10:08]

The Paz Man

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 11:28 - Dec 18 with 1497 viewsHerbivore

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 10:07 - Dec 18 by 26_Paz

He was calling JRM ‘Posh Paz’. I don’t have an issue with that. It was him calling me ‘Poor Paz’ I took issue with.
Oh and I’m not a Peterborough fan, where have you got that from?
[Post edited 18 Dec 2020 10:08]

You're poor compared to JRM. Interesting that you don't take offence to being compared to JRM though, he's an awful human being so personally I'd have been reporting abuse for that comparison.

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 11:31 - Dec 18 with 1489 views26_Paz

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 11:28 - Dec 18 by Herbivore

You're poor compared to JRM. Interesting that you don't take offence to being compared to JRM though, he's an awful human being so personally I'd have been reporting abuse for that comparison.

I’m poor in comparison to JRM, absolutely!
I’m not poor in comparison to many people though, thought it was a little distasteful on a thread about poverty ...
I like JRM so no problem at all being compared to him.

The Paz Man

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 11:36 - Dec 18 with 1489 viewseireblue

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 11:31 - Dec 18 by 26_Paz

I’m not poor in comparison to many people though, thought it was a little distasteful on a thread about poverty ...

Always amusing to see what you find distasteful compared to fine in context. Nice to have that privilege.
Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 11:39 - Dec 18 with 1486 viewsHerbivore

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 11:31 - Dec 18 by 26_Paz

What do you like about JRM? Is it him voting against equal rights for gay people? Him voting against ensuring landlords have to maintain pretty basic standards for tenants (side note: JRM owns property and is a landlord himself)? Is it him claiming Grenfell victims lacked his level of common sense? Is it him accusing a NGO that is concerned with the welfare of children of "playing politics" because they've felt the need to step in and help feed children his government has neglected? Is it the contempt he clearly holds people in, as evidenced in his don't give a feck slouch during an important Commons debate? Is it him lying to the Queen about the reasons for proroguing parliament and showing zero contrition afterwards? Is it him cheerleading for Brexit and telling everyone how great it will be whilst simultaneously moving some of his business interests to Ireland and informing investors that the step was taken to safeguard against the impact of Brexit?

Personally I'd say all of that makes him a total wanger, not someone I'd be happy being compared with. What is it that you think outweighs all that awful stuff and makes him likeable?
[Post edited 18 Dec 2020 11:41]

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 11:44 - Dec 18 with 1473 viewseireblue

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 11:39 - Dec 18 by Herbivore

What do you like about JRM? Is it him voting against equal rights for gay people? Him voting against ensuring landlords have to maintain pretty basic standards for tenants (side note: JRM owns property and is a landlord himself)? Is it him claiming Grenfell victims lacked his level of common sense? Is it him accusing a NGO that is concerned with the welfare of children of "playing politics" because they've felt the need to step in and help feed children his government has neglected? Is it the contempt he clearly holds people in, as evidenced in his don't give a feck slouch during an important Commons debate? Is it him lying to the Queen about the reasons for proroguing parliament and showing zero contrition afterwards? Is it him cheerleading for Brexit and telling everyone how great it will be whilst simultaneously moving some of his business interests to Ireland and informing investors that the step was taken to safeguard against the impact of Brexit?

Personally I'd say all of that makes him a total wanger, not someone I'd be happy being compared with. What is it that you think outweighs all that awful stuff and makes him likeable?

"What is it that you think outweighs all that awful stuff and makes him likeable?"

I think you have made a bold assumption there.
Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 11:48 - Dec 18 with 1464 viewsfooters

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 11:39 - Dec 18 by Herbivore

Because he's a down to earth sort of guy who I'd really like going for a pint with. He's not at all out of touch with the common man, like all the other elites I hate.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 12:16 - Dec 18 with 1447 viewssotd78

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 18:10 - Dec 17 by SpruceMoose

"Much as I dislike Jacob Rees Mogg"
[x} Doubt

"This is Unicef playing politics"
Nonsense.
[Post edited 17 Dec 2020 18:12]

You started a thread elsewhere based on an opinion and a little bit of knowledge. Others have added to your knowledge. Whether you take that on board or ignore it is up to you. But don't call me in effect a liar when I have made my stance clear and provided some additional facts.

I worry equally about the state of our nation; the poverty we have for some people and the concerns for children in particular. I work for a charity that in turn talks with and interacts with a lot of charities working much more closely with the poor in the UK than Unicef.

So writing {X} Doubt is crass and insulting and quite frankly ignorant.

My opinion (as valid as yours) is that Unicef are playing politics. Their £25K has bought a lot of attention, a lot of press and air time coverage and should be seen for what it is.
[Post edited 18 Dec 2020 12:19]

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 12:22 - Dec 18 with 1434 viewsHerbivore

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 12:16 - Dec 18 by sotd78

You started a thread elsewhere based on an opinion and a little bit of knowledge. Others have added to your knowledge. Whether you take that on board or ignore it is up to you. But don't call me in effect a liar when I have made my stance clear and provided some additional facts.

I worry equally about the state of our nation; the poverty we have for some people and the concerns for children in particular. I work for a charity that in turn talks with and interacts with a lot of charities working much more closely with the poor in the UK than Unicef.

So writing {X} Doubt is crass and insulting and quite frankly ignorant.

My opinion (as valid as yours) is that Unicef are playing politics. Their £25K has bought a lot of attention, a lot of press and air time coverage and should be seen for what it is.
[Post edited 18 Dec 2020 12:19]

In what way are they playing politics? UNICEF is not a political organisation, they are an NGO that supports children facing poverty and humanitarian crises. How specifically are they playing politics when they are an apolitical entity?

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 12:22 - Dec 18 with 1436 viewsEireannach_gorm

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 08:30 - Dec 18 by You_Bloo_Right

Apparently the USA is better!

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/best-countries-to-live-in
Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 12:35 - Dec 18 with 1428 viewssotd78

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 12:22 - Dec 18 by Herbivore

In what way are they playing politics? UNICEF is not a political organisation, they are an NGO that supports children facing poverty and humanitarian crises. How specifically are they playing politics when they are an apolitical entity?

Ok I have tried to ask this question elsewhere.

Before I say more though I am at the opposite end to the political spectrum to Jacob Rees Mogg - before anyone else gets to think otherwise. Let's be clear about that.

Unicef have given £25K to a Southwark based charity to supply breakfast bags after Christmas up to February half term - for children presumably before school, That's a laudable aim.

However, the funding gap I contend would have been closed by any number of other grants etc. So Unicef have stepped in on the doorstep of Parliament in a deprived area.

I think, but cannot of course prove, that this is a stunt. It is designed on several levels to say:

The UK Govt doesn't look after its own so we have to

It is saying to the public - support Unicef because we don't just do overseas but we also do the UK

It is designed to put pressure on a Govt that has just annouced a Foreign Aid cut from 0.7% GDP to 0.5% GDP

They're doing similar things (so I read) in Germany.

It smacks of politics; JRM called it out probably slightly after I did on here ironically.

This has nothing whatsoever to do with the terrible situation of not feeding our own - for which our Govt is somewhat responsible and should be ashamed. It is merely saying don't think Unicef are really highlighting an issue without an agenda of their own.

Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 12:35 - Dec 18 with 1427 viewsHalf_Idiot

If the government weren't letting their nations children starve it wouldn't be necessary.
Jacob Rees Mogg is a nasty piece of work part 312813 on 12:41 - Dec 18 with 1421 viewsHalf_Idiot

It's fairly obvious you're not poor given your stance on the topic of poverty in the UK.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024