Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This demonising of the French and Macron by the right wing press is..... 01:11 - Dec 23 with 4826 viewsunstableblue

.... is just a repeat of 30 years of xenophobia that has led us to Brexit and a very weird entitled sovereignty position that damages and splinters the UK rather than improving it

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

This demonising of the French and Macron by the right wing press is..... on 10:08 - Dec 23 with 1293 viewsFreddies_Ears

This demonising of the French and Macron by the right wing press is..... on 09:18 - Dec 23 by MonkeyAlan

Exactly. Macron knows what he is up to. I wouldn't bow to him and his cronies. He is a nasty piece of work. Thinks he runs the EU, typical Frenchman.

Congratulations on being one of very, very few people to be on my div list. You are either a troll, in which case you should be banned. Or you are an unpleasant xenophobe. Neither is a good look.
This demonising of the French and Macron by the right wing press is..... on 10:35 - Dec 23 with 1251 viewsfactual_blue

This demonising of the French and Macron by the right wing press is..... on 09:54 - Dec 23 by Seablu

This habit of referring to people you don’t know as ‘mate’ has become quite the thing amongst the right-leaning think tankers on here.
The other one does it regularly as well.

It's passive-aggressive, isn't it?

He'll be asking you to go 'for a drink' before the game next.
[Post edited 23 Dec 2020 10:36]

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

This demonising of the French and Macron by the right wing press is..... on 10:41 - Dec 23 with 1242 viewsfactual_blue

This demonising of the French and Macron by the right wing press is..... on 09:27 - Dec 23 by MattinLondon

Personally I think trolls should all try to be funny whilst still winding people up. This chimp boy we have in here is rather poor.

It never goes well for AnalMonkey, does it?

This demonising of the French and Macron by the right wing press is..... on 10:43 - Dec 23 with 1237 viewsfactual_blue

This demonising of the French and Macron by the right wing press is..... on 09:53 - Dec 23 by vapour_trail

Your turkey crown was lovingly stuffed by two men?

I’ll have the salad please.

I've put the video of that on Instatwitface.

This demonising of the French and Macron by the right wing press is..... on 10:45 - Dec 23 with 1223 viewsfactual_blue

This demonising of the French and Macron by the right wing press is..... on 09:50 - Dec 23 by MonkeyAlan

Macron is a bad egg really.

Va te faire niquer

This demonising of the French and Macron by the right wing press is..... on 10:46 - Dec 23 with 1229 viewsgiant_stow

Well seeing as everyone's agreeing, I'll be the arsehole.

Are we all sure that there's no politics in the French decision? The new strain was discovered in September in Denmark innit, so isn't there a pretty decent chance that its already all over Europe? I gather that genetic testing is one thing we are good at, so perhaps they just don;t know its there yet? Was Italy shut down and exluded back in the early spring like this? Genuinely can;t remember....

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

This demonising of the French and Macron by the right wing press is..... on 10:50 - Dec 23 with 1205 viewsfooters

This demonising of the French and Macron by the right wing press is..... on 10:46 - Dec 23 by giant_stow

Are we all sure that there's no politics in the French decision? The new strain was discovered in September in Denmark innit, so isn't there a pretty decent chance that its already all over Europe? I gather that genetic testing is one thing we are good at, so perhaps they just don;t know its there yet? Was Italy shut down and exluded back in the early spring like this? Genuinely can;t remember....

"Was Italy shut down and exluded back in the early spring like this?"

Yes.

footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

This demonising of the French and Macron by the right wing press is..... on 10:51 - Dec 23 with 1203 viewsCoastalblue

This demonising of the French and Macron by the right wing press is..... on 10:46 - Dec 23 by giant_stow

Didn't we close our borders to Denmark quite quickly? Not sure if it included hauliers or even if that would be a thing coming from Denmark.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Login to get fewer ads

This demonising of the French and Macron by the right wing press is..... on 10:57 - Dec 23 with 1187 viewsgiant_stow

This demonising of the French and Macron by the right wing press is..... on 10:50 - Dec 23 by footers

"Was Italy shut down and exluded back in the early spring like this?"

Yes.

Just to be clear, we're chatting about frieght, correct? If so, fair enough.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

This demonising of the French and Macron by the right wing press is..... on 10:58 - Dec 23 with 1175 viewsgiant_stow

This demonising of the French and Macron by the right wing press is..... on 10:51 - Dec 23 by Coastalblue

Didn't we close our borders to Denmark quite quickly? Not sure if it included hauliers or even if that would be a thing coming from Denmark.

I think that might have been people, not freight? And not Europe wide, but could easily be wrong and stand ready to eat my plop.

This demonising of the French and Macron by the right wing press is..... on 11:20 - Dec 23 with 1151 viewsGuthrum

The new variant in the UK is a further mutation of the September strain.

The fact that over 50 countries slapped travel bans of one sort or another on the UK in very short order (not just the French) suggests it is nothing to do with national politics and everything to do with infectious disease contingency plans.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

This demonising of the French and Macron by the right wing press is..... on 11:22 - Dec 23 with 1148 viewsMattinLondon

There’s politics in nearly every decision. But in relation to the headlines in the Mail, Sun, Express etc there’s also a vast amount of xenophobia as well as hypocrisy.

If the new strain was on the continent those papers would be screaming for the borders to be shut with ‘plucky old England leading the way’. But I guess their leadership loves a bit of EU bashing...as well as tits. Luckily for them the Prime Minister provides both.
This demonising of the French and Macron by the right wing press is..... on 11:57 - Dec 23 with 1104 viewsleitrimblue

This demonising of the French and Macron by the right wing press is..... on 09:18 - Dec 23 by MonkeyAlan

Exactly. Macron knows what he is up to. I wouldn't bow to him and his cronies. He is a nasty piece of work. Thinks he runs the EU, typical Frenchman.

Up yours delors
This demonising of the French and Macron by the right wing press is..... on 12:14 - Dec 23 with 1081 viewsjaykay

good morning monkey, how is great bentley this morning. many onion sellers about
i remember another resident from your village who used the phrase ' a good egg' in some of his postings on t.w.t.d.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

This demonising of the French and Macron by the right wing press is..... on 12:15 - Dec 23 with 1081 viewsgiant_stow

This demonising of the French and Macron by the right wing press is..... on 11:22 - Dec 23 by MattinLondon

There’s politics in nearly every decision. But in relation to the headlines in the Mail, Sun, Express etc there’s also a vast amount of xenophobia as well as hypocrisy.

If the new strain was on the continent those papers would be screaming for the borders to be shut with ‘plucky old England leading the way’. But I guess their leadership loves a bit of EU bashing...as well as tits. Luckily for them the Prime Minister provides both.

Yes, you're right about how the papers would react in a roll-reversal. To be clear, I'm not defending that sort of behaviour - more just pointing out that the current Brexit issues might have made it easier for France to turn the screw.

Re Guthrum's point about other countries, that's fine and fair, but different from affectively putting a halt to accompanied frieght like France chose.

Re Footer's point about Italy and a similar freight ban, I can't see any mention of that from some lame googling, but stand ready for a link to make me eat my words.

The same lame googling does suggets that Guthers is right in that the September Denmark strain may just be similar, rather than the origin. I would make a distinction between France affectively making friehgt impossible and 50 other counties banning travel - very different magnitudes of action. Also politics comes into their decisions - its natural for their populaces to be appeased by their govts being seen to do something / anything, even if it isn't actually that useful or affective

It appears that I'm likely right about the virus being all over Europe already:

"Outside the UK, the new Covid-19 variant has been identified in Denmark, Australia, Italy, the Netherlands and Iceland. Scientists suspect that it has spread much farther afield than this smattering of cases would indicate. The UK is one of the few countries doing the intensive genomic sequencing required to identify variants; Cog-UK has produced half of all the world’s publicly released Sars-Cov-2 sequences. “There are very few countries that look – and if you don’t look for it, you won’t find it,” said Mads Albertsen, an expert in microbial genetics at Aalborg University in Denmark. “I cannot imagine that it hasn’t spread worldwide by now . . . It’s been in the UK for so long it must be in all countries around the world.”

https://www.ft.com/content/a8cf7f88-7bfc-46c5-bb25-a914266f0377

...Which brings me back to my argument that theres politics, particularly in France's actions.
[Post edited 23 Dec 2020 12:18]

This demonising of the French and Macron by the right wing press is..... on 12:23 - Dec 23 with 1066 viewsBlueNomad

This demonising of the French and Macron by the right wing press is..... on 09:38 - Dec 23 by MonkeyAlan

It doesn't make me a troll because l don't agree with your opinion. Such a weak reply, as usual mate.

If you actually believe what you are saying it is far more worrying
This demonising of the French and Macron by the right wing press is..... on 12:26 - Dec 23 with 1061 viewslowhouseblue

This demonising of the French and Macron by the right wing press is..... on 12:15 - Dec 23 by giant_stow

Yes, you're right about how the papers would react in a roll-reversal. To be clear, I'm not defending that sort of behaviour - more just pointing out that the current Brexit issues might have made it easier for France to turn the screw.

Re Guthrum's point about other countries, that's fine and fair, but different from affectively putting a halt to accompanied frieght like France chose.

Re Footer's point about Italy and a similar freight ban, I can't see any mention of that from some lame googling, but stand ready for a link to make me eat my words.

The same lame googling does suggets that Guthers is right in that the September Denmark strain may just be similar, rather than the origin. I would make a distinction between France affectively making friehgt impossible and 50 other counties banning travel - very different magnitudes of action. Also politics comes into their decisions - its natural for their populaces to be appeased by their govts being seen to do something / anything, even if it isn't actually that useful or affective

It appears that I'm likely right about the virus being all over Europe already:

"Outside the UK, the new Covid-19 variant has been identified in Denmark, Australia, Italy, the Netherlands and Iceland. Scientists suspect that it has spread much farther afield than this smattering of cases would indicate. The UK is one of the few countries doing the intensive genomic sequencing required to identify variants; Cog-UK has produced half of all the world’s publicly released Sars-Cov-2 sequences. “There are very few countries that look – and if you don’t look for it, you won’t find it,” said Mads Albertsen, an expert in microbial genetics at Aalborg University in Denmark. “I cannot imagine that it hasn’t spread worldwide by now . . . It’s been in the UK for so long it must be in all countries around the world.”

https://www.ft.com/content/a8cf7f88-7bfc-46c5-bb25-a914266f0377

...Which brings me back to my argument that theres politics, particularly in France's actions.
[Post edited 23 Dec 2020 12:18]

the decision to extend the travel ban to hauliers and transport workers - something that I can't yet find evidence of having been done previously in the eu during this crisis - certainly seems political set in the final stage of the deal or no deal shenanigans.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

This demonising of the French and Macron by the right wing press is..... on 12:36 - Dec 23 with 1045 viewsgiant_stow

This demonising of the French and Macron by the right wing press is..... on 12:26 - Dec 23 by lowhouseblue

the decision to extend the travel ban to hauliers and transport workers - something that I can't yet find evidence of having been done previously in the eu during this crisis - certainly seems political set in the final stage of the deal or no deal shenanigans.

That does seem to be the crucial difference in how the Uk is being treated. you look around and see what else is going on... its hard not to put two and two together.

This demonising of the French and Macron by the right wing press is..... on 12:48 - Dec 23 with 1025 viewsfactual_blue

This demonising of the French and Macron by the right wing press is..... on 11:22 - Dec 23 by MattinLondon

Remind me, where does Viscount rothermere (the real owner of the daily mail) live?

This demonising of the French and Macron by the right wing press is..... on 13:02 - Dec 23 with 997 viewsBlueForYou

It would appear that all other ports are operating as normal albeit very busy. Its only France that is causing the problem.
[Post edited 23 Dec 2020 21:56]
This demonising of the French and Macron by the right wing press is..... on 13:06 - Dec 23 with 980 viewsSpruceMoose

This demonising of the French and Macron by the right wing press is..... on 09:38 - Dec 23 by MonkeyAlan

It doesn't make me a troll because l don't agree with your opinion. Such a weak reply, as usual mate.

Footers is a good egg.

You're a J2 egg.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

This demonising of the French and Macron by the right wing press is..... on 13:17 - Dec 23 with 940 viewsStokieBlue

- The new strain isn't the same as the one discovered in Denmark in September, it's much more infectious due to a number of mutations.

- Most of the countries bordering Italy whilst being members of the EU did shut their borders although that was to people, perhaps not hauliers. It's different though, this is hugely transmissible compared to what was around in Easter.

- It's entirely sensible thing for the French to do. I would want the UK to do the same if the positions were reversed.

SB
[Post edited 23 Dec 2020 13:21]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

This demonising of the French and Macron by the right wing press is..... on 13:18 - Dec 23 with 938 viewsStokieBlue

This demonising of the French and Macron by the right wing press is..... on 09:54 - Dec 23 by lowhouseblue

though, and i ask this as a genuine question and i don't know the answer, during the crisis to date across the eu and all of the various lockdowns and restrictions, has there been any previous ban on travel by hauliers? certainly the eu commission itself think that transport staff, such as lorry drivers, should be exempt from travel restrictions and mandatory testing.

so there does seem to be some valid debate about the french action - in the eyes of the eu commission at least.
[Post edited 23 Dec 2020 9:55]

Possibly not directly on hauliers but I think it's understandable given this strain has the potential to be devastating across the continent.

Of course it's already there but I can't blame them for wanting to minimise the vectors.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

This demonising of the French and Macron by the right wing press is..... on 03:19 - Dec 24 with 782 viewsrapier

This demonising of the French and Macron by the right wing press is..... on 10:04 - Dec 23 by MonkeyAlan

I'm sorry if the word mate offends you, and for your information lm not a right winger. It's become a trait on here to use that term about someone if they don't agree with their opinions on here too.

This... Sort it out folks
This demonising of the French and Macron by the right wing press is..... on 03:27 - Dec 24 with 776 viewsSpruceMoose

This demonising of the French and Macron by the right wing press is..... on 03:19 - Dec 24 by rapier

This... Sort it out folks

Boris is a good egg. Or something. Anal Keno isn't a right winger though apparently. A right whinger...? Definitely.
[Post edited 24 Dec 2020 3:31]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024